Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Never Trust a Pixie (Juno)

Started by Anonymous, May 03, 2010, 04:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Miraj listened to Julian patiently, his mouth stretching into an ever wider grin. When Julian finally finished, he started laughing. It started as a chuckle of incredulity, but gradually it spiralled out of control into a full-own bout of hilarity. Achashverosh clung to his master's chest, his head turned a full one-eighty degrees so that he could glare daggers at Julian with his wide, black-rimmed eyes.

When Miraj finally had regained enough control of his vocal capacity to speak, he pressed a hand to his forehead, and shook his head once more in disbelief. "Ahh... I apologize. I'm just laughing to keep myself from-- from weeping," he said, still chuckling. "Excuse me, but how is it even possible that you don't know what a necromancer is? Most people know just enough about them to decide that they hate them, but you -- do you live under a rock? In a cave, perhaps? Or are you just unbelievably thick-skulled?"

He knew he was being rude, and that he was probably only going to piss Julian off for a second time that day, but he couldn't help himself. It was as if Julian had categorically ignored his entire people, his entire livelihood. The only thing preventing Miraj from yelling at the werecat outright was the look of childish wonder and curiosity in Julian's eyes. It kind of reminded Miraj of himself. "Look, I can't fathom how you managed to live to your age without seeing a sorcerer, but because I am such a generous, magnanimous fellow, I shall enlighten you. Achasverosh, show him, please?"

Suddenly, there was no lemur. In its place, there was a rather hideous-looking monster, a serpentine tangle of spines and scales and claws and horns. "This," he said, stroking the demon's head, "Is Achashverosh, my familiar. He's a demon. And he most certainly is not a myth. He takes offense to that. Would you like to hold him?" Achashverosh made a hiss of protest, but Miraj ignored him. "He won't kill you unless I tell him to, so you needn't worry. He's not a particularly powerful demon, in any case."

Anonymous

He knew he was going to sound foolish, but he didn't think Miraj would laugh. His blush spread to the point that he was entirely red-faced, and he felt ashamed. Eyes downcast, not looking at the demon glaring at him, he turned his head a little so he wouldn't have to look at the younger man laughing about what he'd asked. "Hmm, yeah...cave probably fits the bill." Julian sighed.

Just plain embarrassed now, he wanted to walk away. He felt so out of place; Miraj obviously knew so much more than he did. He glanced over at the demon when he'd changed to his natural form, but he was a little startled and also somewhat frightened for the hissing, despite Miraj's assurances.

Julian was getting pouty now, simply not knowing these sorts of things was completely ruining his mood. "I...I'm sorry, Miraj. Damn, I'm stupid, huh?" He was frowning now, that charming smile no longer gracing his appearance, now replaced with a look of utter dejection. Despite whatever intentions that there were, Julian felt like he was being made fun of, and he didn't like that. At all.

Hanging his head, the blonde shuffled his feet forward, ignoring the offer to hold the demon, his mouth closed for fear of saying something stupid. Again.

Anonymous

Miraj's grin faded. He'd expected the werecat to get angry, perhaps snap at Miraj and tell him to stop being such a know-it-all, but instead Julian deflated like a pricked balloon. That was no fun. "I wouldn't call it stupid so much as... ignorant. Luckily for you, you ran into me." Miraj smiled again, the same smile he used when he was trying to charm the Thanati Moo-ni into letting him browse their archives. It usually worked, despite the fact the Miraj was universally contemned by the Thanati clergy.

Achashverosh breathed a sigh of relief when Julian ignored Miraj's offer, but Miraj would have none of that. He plopped the demon unceremoniously into Julian's arms. The demon went rigid, its spine arching like a cat's, but it made no move to escape. "Dammit all," he grumbled. "At least he smells better than you."

"Aw, he likes you," Miraj said approvingly. "Listen, Julian. I could forgive a man for not knowing what a necromancer is, or believing that demons are simply myths that parents tell their children to keep them obedient. The worser crime by far is being ignorant out of choice. But I see that you're not, which redeems you somewhat in my eyes. But I'll be thrice-damned if I let us part ways without first educating you. Necromancy is the most misunderstood art, so count yourself fortunate that you'll learn about it straight from, shall we say, the horse's mouth." He hated colloquialisms, but he couldn't resist the irony.

Anonymous

Jumping a little when the demon was placed in his arms, Julian made an effort to hold him carefully. He really hadn't ever seen a demon before, or rather, he hadn't known enough to know what he was looking at before now. Cautiously, he patted him, not really knowing what he should do or how he should treat him. The sadness started to slip from his eyes as Miraj spoke, talking of forgiveness and...educating him? He had to admit he was a little surprised; anyone who offered to teach him anything was in for stretching their patience to breaking point, or perhaps worse.

It did cheer him up a little, though, knowing that Miraj didn't really want to just sit there and laugh at him for not understanding. "Well, all right, if you want to." An art? He wasn't so sure, but then again he had only just learned the word. Still curious, despite his little episode of moodiness, Julian tried to stoke the little demon like he would a...well, a cat.

"Fortunate?" He smiled a little. "You have a big head, don't you? If you would like to teach me, then you can teach me. You sound quite confident in your abilities, hm?" He started moving again, not wanting to get caught anywhere near that dead horse by nightfall.

Anonymous

"A big head? You have no idea," Achasverosh said, too quietly for Miraj to overhear. The demon changed shape yet again, assuming the form of a fluffy, mewling kitten, seeing as how that was how Julian was treating him. "Meow," he said. The kitten stared up at Julian with wide, baleful blue eyes, then belched loudly.

"Stop that, Akash," Miraj scolded. "As I said before... his manners leave much to be desired. But what else would you expect from a demon?"

In response to Julian's question about whether he was confident in his abilities, Miraj smiled. "Absolutely. I was trained by the best necromancer in all of Thanatos, though the priests might beg to differ. He was a sorry excuse for a human being, but he did teach me a number of useful tricks." When Julian started walking again, Miraj followed, less concerned about appearing like he knew where he was going. He was talking about necromancy now, and talking about necromancy always made him forget his immediate surroundings.

"Before I give you the textbook answer to the question of 'what is necromancy,' perhaps you could tell me what you thought I did back there, to that horse you were going all gooey over?"

Anonymous

Julian chuckled a little for the demon's response. When he changed to a little kitten, though, he made his day. Eyes sparkling, he pet Achasverosh, his "other" side taking over for the moment, loving the fact that he had a "cat" in his arms. But then he did something very...un-catlike. Laughing, he waved a hand at Miraj. "I don't mind. He's cute, it makes up for it." He made a cutesy face, ignoring the other man for the moment as he was preoccupied by his "task" of petting.

"Best necromancer", "priests", and "useful tricks": It was all over his head. Too distracted to notice that Miraj was starting to go off into his own little world, Julian continued petting the demon-turned-kitten.

What did catch his attention, though, was Miraj asking his own opinion. Since he hadn't exactly been following what he'd been saying, he grinned sheepishly as he tried to pull things back into context. "Gooey? I wasn't going gooey for that horse, I just felt kind of bad for it. How was I supposed to know what you'd done to it?" His mood was protected now, though; with a "kitten" in his arms it would take quite a bit to upset him. "Maybe you're jealous that I cared about a dead horse," he joked, smiling as he looked back down at the demon. "Think he's jealous?"

"What I think, though... Huh. Not sure. I guess...that you used some sort of magic on it."

Anonymous

The kitten-Achashverosh nodded. "Yup, definitely." Achashverosh silently congratulated himself for choosing the right form; this Julian character really loved cats! Despite his earlier "demonic" form (which was not actually his "true" form; Achashverosh's "true" form was more like a mass of amorphous gas), Julian seemed quite taken with his new cat form. He purred, trying to catch Miraj's attention so he could stick his tongue out or do something else annoying and immature.

But Miraj was still distracted, caught up in his own little world of magic and books and spell-casting. "Exactly so." Miraj hadn't noticed Julian's attention wandering; as far as he was concerned, everyone in the world would drop everything they were doing just to listen to him chatter endlessly about necromancy. Why wouldn't Julian be hanging on his every word?

Miraj continued, oblivious to the fact that Julian was obviously allergic to learning. "Magic. But not that frou-frouey nonsense you see sorcerers or mages casting. It was necromancy. You know... raising creatures from the dead, commanding them to do your bidding. Of course, there are other schools -- soul speakers, entropymancers, flesh sculptors -- but I prefer raising myself. What can I say? I'm a traditionalist."

Anonymous

Julian just nodded, not actually hearing what Miraj was saying. He liked the purring. Gods, did he like hearing cats purr. It was like his happy drug. Grinning stupidly, he held the demon up a little and chanced a bit of affection by nuzzling the "kitten". He didn't know why he'd started purring, that he wanted to annoy Miraj, but Julian didn't much care at the moment.

"Dead stuff magic...got it." He was far from "getting it" really, but if he could keep petting Achashverosh he would take whatever was thrown at him for not paying attention to his little personal lesson. "So, how'd you get into it? Trying to impress some girl or something?"

ooc: Ack 0_o Apologies for the shortness... *kicks self*

Anonymous

A girl? Ha! As if! Girls were the competition, not potential love interests. He had a suspicion that Julian understood the feeling, so he was perfectly comfortable saying, "No, not quite. Girls never really interested me the way they did other boys my age."

He paused, trying to decide how much of the truth he should reveal to Julian. When pressed about his past, he would usually rattle off some fabricated story about a nonexistant father who had taught him everything he knew, then died tragically of a contagious disease when he was seventeen. Most people preferred such a story to the actual truth. "As for how I 'got into it,' as you say... well..." he began, "...suffice to say I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. But I had talent, and potential, and that's all that really mattered to the man who... ah... 'adopted' me and became my mentor."

He was omitting certain key facts, of course, but for the most part it was the truth. Arsalan had adopted him (after he killed Miraj's mother), and he had been his mentor (and tormentor) for the first seventeen years of his life. "As it turns out, I'm fortunate to have been discovered when I was. Who knows how life might have turned out for me if my master had never found me?" In all likelihood, he'd be some comon laborer or craftsman, completely ignorant of his magical potential -- or worse, he'd have ended up in the same line of business as his mother. He decided not to mention that she'd been little more than a glorified prostitute; no young man ever wanted to say such a thing of his mother, no matter now true it was.

Anonymous

Julian paused from his affections toward the cat and looked up at Miraj when he spoke of being disinterested in girls. "Hmm. That's interesting. Perhaps you're a late bloomer," he snickered, thinking Miraj might just be one of those types that doesn't show any interest until later in life. He waited patiently for the younger man to speak his answer, and when he did Julian was polite enough to give him his attention. He thought it was interesting how his explanation seemed so impersonal. Julian definitely wasn't the smartest person in the world, but he had intuition on his side.

He didn't get the feeling he was being lied to, but he also didn't feel like he was being told a complete truth. He didn't really blame Miraj, though, since they hardly knew each other and he assumed the complete story was something special to him. However, that didn't mean Julian wasn't curious about it. "I guess he wasn't much of a father figure if you call him "master", huh?" Julian didn't really grasp the concept of the relationship between such a teacher and his disciple. He also didn't really understand how potential could be noticed for such a -to him- strange "art".

"So that's what you do now, yeah? Just practice your...magic? Doesn't seem like a very lucrative trade, but I don't really know what is anymore." He chuckled. "That darn cave," he joked.

Anonymous

Miraj had the good grace to look self-effacing when he smiled. He'd always thought it rather... embarrassing how he managed to come by so much money without doing a day of honest work in his life. "It can be quite lucrative, actually. Some mothers would do anything to see their bereaved children just one last time. There are necromancers build an entire estate taking advantage of the misfortunes of others. Most real necromancers turned their noses up at such exploitative behavior, but that doesn't necessarily stop them."

There were plenty of more "acceptable" jobs open to skilled necromancers, any of which Miraj was more than qualified for. Sometimes, small warring communities would commission necromancers to raise undead armies to champion their cause. Sometimes, an aggrieved party would hire a necromancer to cast a hex on an enemy, or cause his flesh to rot from around him, or talk to a spirit from beyond the grave. All honest work for a down-and-out necromancer. Miraj had done none of these things. He didn't need to. He was wealthy enough to live in luxury for the rest of his days, thanks to Arsalan.

He continued: "But I don't sell my services, not unless I really need to. I've spent the last few years traveling the continent, collecting items of... particular interest to me." He glanced at Achashverosh; the demon was still purring, but as soon as Miraj glanced over, he got the message: he wasn't to mention exactly what those items were. Julian probably didn't want to hear about them, anyway (he was currently on the trail of a certain magical artifact, the mummified hand of a dead necromancer, which supposedly imbued its owner with the ability to see the dead). "You could say we both are traveling for the same reasons. Curiosity. Perhaps a little boredom." And ambition. And power. And the fact that I was more or less exiled from Thanatos. Miraj smiled thinly.

Anonymous

He was a little surprised. He hadn't thought people would actually pay good money for such things, and now he figured he probably needed to open his eyes a little, see the world, and that sort of thing. Broadening his horizons was a goal of this little stroll around the continent, but he just had no idea how to go about it since he generally preferred to avoid crowded places if at all possible.

Before becoming a shifter of sorts Julian had been supported only by himself. His parents were honest people and in his younger days he'd been a bit of a delinquent, so it was a natural move, to him, that he'd left home when he had. Living in the woods became his habit, and once he was turned he'd sought out a more secluded location where he could actually call it his "home". Today, that was his "territory" in the Kishahn Jungle.

"So you collect stuff? Where do you keep it all? Do you live in Thanatos?" So many questions, but he was merely curious about this whole "new" thing to him. "And I was bored...so I wanted to just see what I could see if I...you know, actually left home for a while." He chuckled, smiling a little as he looked up toward the bits of sky peeking through the branches.

Anonymous

It was probably a good thing Julian didn't tell Miraj about his "home" -- Miraj would have seen that as further evidence of Julian's barbarity. He just wasn't capable of wrapping his mind around the fact that someone could actually live in the absence of hot baths, personal chefs, and canopied beds. Sure, Miraj had to live without those little luxuries while he was traveling, but there was always the promise of his estate in Thanatos waiting patiently for his return. He kept a few token servants there to keep the place clean and tidy and to prevent break-ins and other inconveniences. The bulk of his fortunes were contained in a magically-sealed vault in a hidden basement that only he and Achashverosh could access.

"Yes, I collect stuff... among other things." Up till this point, he'd deliberately withheld the fact that he had a certain other job, one that was considerably less seemly than necromancy -- headhunting. He'd fallen into the profession by accident; he'd been strolling through the streets of Arca, when suddenly a "Wanted" bulletin caught his attention. A mage was on the lam after having stolen a powerful magical artifact, and the authorities were offering a considerable sum of gold to any man who could bring him to justice (read: kill). Miraj took the job, killed the thief, and pocketed both the reward money and the artifact. When asked about the mage's possessions, and whether he carried a certain artifact, Miraj made a convincing show of looking wide-eyed and confused. He'd taken two jobs since then, and each of his targets had been powerful magic-weilders accused of stealing some item of great import.

Miraj wasn't about to tell Julian any of this, though. No doubt the werecat would think he was the evilest scum ever to walk the earth if he found out Miraj was not only a necromancer, but a headhunter as well. So he said, "When I find something valuable or worth keeping, I have Achashverosh take it back to Thanatos and put it in the vault for safekeeping. I have an estate there, but I rarely visit it." Miraj wasn't technically exiled from Thanatos; no one had ever proven him responsible for Arsalan's death. He didn't feel welcome there, but he was still a tax-paying citizen. "There isn't much tying me to Thanatos, after my master passed."

Miraj took a deep breath. However much he liked prattling on about himself, he sensed that if he divulged any more information, Julian would get him to say something that he'd later regret. "But enough about me," he said. "You said you were born a human, so you must have human parents, a home somewhere. Do you have any larger plans, or is wandering through this forest your idea of a pleasant jaunt?"

Anonymous

Thus far, Julian had nothing against necromancers. He had just learned about them and what they do, after all. He didn't think they were evil and he felt Miraj must just be doing whatever it is that makes him happy. "That's interesting," he said, still petting Achashverosh. He hoped the demon didn't mind his "affections" toward a cat.

"Ah, me? Yeah, a home...something like that, I suppose. I haven't lived in a "house", per se, in quite a while, but a house doesn't always make a home, right?" He tried a sheepish grin, unsure of how Miraj, who was dressed so finely, might take his saying such a thing. "My parents." He shifted Achashverosh to one arm and lifted his free hand to rub at his neck, unsure of how to broach the subject. "Well, from what I remember we moved around a lot. Different cities, little towns too, sometimes just camping out in some empty woods somewhere, but they moved the family around a lot and I'd bet my life that they're still doing that. Guess they never wanted to settle down in any one place, really, but yes, they are both human as am I."

"As for my plans, I left home to see the world since I hadn't really gone away in a long while. I don't much care where I go, but somewhere along the line I want to get to the northmost end of the continent before heading back home," he explained. He realized now how plain and ordinary his idea must seem, to see the world. He smiled, though, for it was quite exciting for him, not having gone more than a couple of miles from the jungle in over three years.

Anonymous

"I... suppose so," Miraj said. He understood the feeling only too well. Arsalan's villa on the outskirt of Thanatos was lavish and filled to the brim with bustling servants and visiting priests, but Miraj had never considered it a home. A schoolhouse, maybe, or a horrorhouse, depending on Arsalan's capricious mood, and whether he was working on one of his many pet projects, but never a home.

Miraj didn't find Julian's aspirations to see the world the least bit ordindary. After all, that was more of less Miraj's plan: to visit as many countries and towns as possible, checking for rumors of any magical artifacts or strange events worthy of investigation. He didn't have a particular goal in mind, but that didn't matter. Something about the way Julian described his parents made Miraj wonder, though. They were obviously still alive, and yet Julian clearly was on his own. "Where are they now? Your family... siblings, maybe?" This whole 'family' thing was intensely interesting to Miraj; having never enjoyed the security of a nuclear family, Miraj couldn't help but wonder what it was like.

Achashverosh, for his part, didn't mind Julian's affections. The demon found it rather amusing how Julian's attitude had changed toward him. And just because he'd turned into a cat! He sniggered; Miraj was unusually fond of cats, too. He grumbled a little when Julian shifted him into one arm, but he only had to readjust his size a little to make himself comfortable again.

Anonymous

Julian had no idea Miraj hadn't grown up in a traditional manner as far as family structure, and he wasn't about to ask since he felt his questions were relatively normal. Calming down a little, he cradled Achashverosh in his arms again and continued petting him; it was getting to be something normal for him now. "Well, my parents were kind enough, I suppose, but I had an older brother too. He was...truly a ladies' man, to put it nicely." He smiled and chuckled a little, thinking back on his brother.

Looking down at the kitten again, Julian grinned. He loved cats. Too much, probably.  Making cutesy faces again, he continued with, "But yeah, I didn't have much of a traditional family or lifestyle. My brother was probably the main reason I decided to leave...gosh I love cats." If he'd been in his jaguar form he most certainly would have been purring. He was comfortable like this, despite having just met Miraj and the demon he traveled with.  

"Say, why listen to him, hm? You should come with me," he joked, looking up at Miraj.

Anonymous

"You know, he's not a cute little pussycat all the time," Miraj said. He was beginning to feel a little jealous of all the attention Achashverosh was recieving -- which was exactly what the demon was aiming for. "Why, just last week he attacked a boy of fifteen without so much as batting an eye. He's a nasty little bastard, but he knows I'm the only one who can put up when him, so he stays."

Achashverosh rolled his baby-blue kitten eyes and let out an unbecoming snort. "I stay because I've been topside too long to return to the Void without being the laughingstock of every demon there." Achashverosh left out the fact that he was a lesser demon, so life in the Void hadn't been all that pleasant before he became Miraj's servant, either. "Besides, every once in a while you run into someone who actually appreciates me for who I really am," Achashverosh pouted. Then he grinned cattishly and snuggled up against Julian's chest, flicking a derisive tail in Miraj's direction.

"Hmph," Miraj said. "You know, Julian, I'm inclined to let you take the little turncoat. He doesn't realize how good he has it, with me as his master." Miraj busied himself by examining his fingernails, trying to look nonchalant and completely unaffected by Achashverosh's purring. "If you like him so much, why not just summon one yourself, Julian? I could show you how."

Anonymous

It wasn't even a fair fight, the snuggling won him over entirely. "Well, I'm sure he didn't attack him without good reason...right?" Listening to their little argument was amusing, at least for him, but Miraj looked as though he were avoiding a confrontation with a kitten more than with the demon.

"What, you don't treat them like individuals, Miraj?" he asked, having a hard time now keeping himself from staring at the cat he was petting or even glancing at Mira, the purring dragging him into a state where he simply couldn't ignore Achashverosh. "I'm sure another would be quite different than he...and I'm content with him." Julian smiled, finally tearing his eyes from the demon and "challenging" Miraj. "You'll neglect him once I'm gone, won't you?" he teased. "Keeping him to be your slave and not get any of my affection...the poor thing'll just die, won't he?"

"No, I'm too attached. It would break my heart to summon my own. If I did, then Achashverosh would be allllll alone, wouldn't he? I couldn't do that to him." He knew very well he was laying it on thick, but he didn't much care, it was fun.

Anonymous

Miraj bit down on his lip to keep himself from saying something unpleasant. He wanted to tell Achashverosh to turn into something green and slimy, but he couldn't do that without tipping Julian off on how annoyed he was. So he forced himself to keep walking, looking straight ahead of himself and trying to ignore the cuddle-fest that was going on next to him.

I'm going to wring his neck when this is through, Miraj thought, envisioning a rather unhappy-looking Achashverosh pleading for mercy, and not getting any. The image was enough to bring a lopsided smile to his face. "That would depend on your definition of 'good reason.' I told him to attack the boy, which, in my opinion, is the best sort of reason there is. But the boy hadn't done anything to warrant an attack, which I suppose means that Achashverosh's behavior was uncalled for indeed."

"You just admitted that you sicked me on the little brat!" Achashverosh said.

"And that makes it permissible? Tut, Achash. If I told you to jump into a moat, would you do it?"

"Yes," the demon replied without second thought.

This was the anser Miraj had expected. He smiled. "All right, then. If I told you to turn into a poisonous viper, and bite our friend Julian here, would you?"

"That's not fair."

"Answer the question."

Achashverosh pouted. Part of the spell that kept him bound to Miraj also bound him to answer all of Miraj's questions truthfully and without exaggeration. He rolled his eyes. "Well, yes."

"Ah-ha! See?" Miraj said. "He's a selfish little bastard. Not a speck of loyalty in his bones. Except for me, of course. Demons are all the same, really. Petty, stupid things, without an ounce of incentive to do anything other than complain and annoy their masters."

Anonymous

Watching the exchange between Miraj and Achashverosh, Julian felt that something was amiss, but he couldn't exactly pinpoint what it was at first. It was a bit startling that the demon had attacked a boy without reason, but the circumstances bothered him. Frowning, he thought about it, trying to figure it all out. He still kept a hand on the demon throughout this, unable to resist petting him as he was still a cat.

"Well, it doesn't sound so bad on his part, Miraj; why does he do whatever you tell him to do?" Julian cocked his head a little, the puzzle in his brain coming together now. "I wouldn't call it selfish if he has to do what he's told and...well, if he did attack me because you told him to I would know where to place the blame, wouldn't I?" He smiled a little, though it was a bit of a sad one. Julian never expected people he just met to spill their guts and tell him he could die if only it was their wish to kill him.

"It sounds to me like you're the disloyal one, Miraj. Achashverosh here, though," -he patted the demon's head and scratched at his shoulders a bit- "seems pretty nice compared to you." He was grinning, hoping he'd get a rise out of Miraj.