Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Regrets and Possibilities (open)

Started by Anonymous, August 05, 2010, 02:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Life was not all Leeway wanted it to be. It wasn't the life he always dreamed of anyways, and the worst part was- he was so very poor. Leeway sighed as he opened his eyes that morning, not wanting to get up at all. He just wanted to lay there and not do anything, but his muscles didn't obey. He pushed himself to a sitting position and flung of the covers, and tiredly got ready for the day. More long, and hard hours were ahead, and Leeway dragged himself out of the bedroom and into the kitchen area, where he had a very small breakfast, since that was all he could afford. He grinned as he looked out the window and saw that the sun was shining-how nice! His teeth sparkled as his grinned turned into a smile as he thought maybe today was a day that he would get a job? That would be wonderful if that happened! He was starting to get annoyed with having to worry about money.

He groomed himself after breakfast, grabbed his sword and strided out the door with a friendly smile. He stopped, locked the door, put his hood over his face just in case someone recognized him and continued on his way. He was standing tall and confident, and walked like he knew where he was going, though the truth was he had no idea. He looked around frantically for someone to ask a job question, and he sighed. This was probably the hardest thing in the world do, and he hated it as much as he hated slavery. It would have been easier to take over the family shop, but the soldiers would catch him, and his life... would be over. It would be terrible, and he was sure he was a "wanted" person. Oh god... if his recent master put up signs and started to look for him he just might be doomed...

Leeway sighed and started to think about happy thoughts, and started to frown as he accidentally bumped into a woman. "Oh dear! I am so sorry miss!" He cried, helping her pick up some things that she dropped. Leeway smirked as she hit in the head and he back away. "I'm sorry" He said, and flinched as the woman insulted him and stomped off. "Heh- opps" He scratched the back of his head and looked around, wondering if anyone saw that, and hoped to god no one cared. nothing to see here... he thought as he pulled his hood so that it was hard to see his kind green eyes and he kept walking, toward a bakery. Boy.. he was so hungry! The smell of food was music to his nose and he licked his lips at the thought of hot bread. His stomach growled at the thought of food, and he folded his arms. It just wasn't fair.. he should have a job.. he shouldn't have to worry about anyone catching him!

Leeway sighed as he peered into the bakery, realized that he couldn't afford the food and backed away. Dang it! He started to hum, hoping to find something to ease his hunger, and he shook his head. "Could this day get any worse?" He whispered as he found an unoccupied spot in an alleyway, and he sat against the wall and rested his forehead on his knees and closed his eyes.

What a normal day this was.

Anonymous

The bugs and flies buzzing about the sea port was more tolerable today than most other days. Though the sun shone happily on the busy streets, the humidity was very subtle. Yet still, Isabelle found herself dabbing the sweat away from her forehead with a small handkerchief, feeling glad she was only wearing a light black and orange dress; her two companions, despite their stoic expressions, were likely roasting beneath their heavy chainmail and leather garb.

Taking another deep breath of salty air, she ran a hand through her young mare's glossy mane. The chestnut thoroughbreds' head bobbed along as she strode through the cobblestone streets, Isabelle seated in a comfortable sidesaddle. The mare seemed disinterested in the entire scene that played before them- the stalls of delicious foods, wandering salesmen, and waggons full of products- and simply followed her guards without so much as a nudge onward.

Upon reaching a wide plaza crowded with shopping citizens, her two companions slowed their steeds to a halt and surveyed the commotion before speaking. "Lady Antoinette, I would prefer to circle around this crowd. Even if we tried to plough through, I'd rather not be stuck unable to move."

"What do you think, Isabelle? Plough through?" The younger of her two guards smiled sweetly. They had remained friends for decades, and though others disapproved of his informality, Isabelle found it heartwarming. 'Lady' grew stiff and cold after a while.

"Why don't you two circle around? I would very much like to browse the shops."

The men glanced uneasily at one another, before the older and much more stern-looking of them replied. "My lady, that would be most unorthodox. There is a reason your father arranged the three of us for a one-man job."

"My presence is hardly any reason for concern, Gerard. Here, the solution is quite simple." Reaching into her saddlebag, she withdrew a thin dark cloak and draped it over her shoulders. She tugged the hood over her golden hair, leaving only the soft smile on her lips and gentle chin exposed. The guard sighed, but the younger of them interrupted.

"You do remember that she beat me in a fight, twice."

"Many people have beaten you in a fight, Rupert."

Isabelle slid down from her mount, her boots raising dust on the ground. She looked up to the pair while slipping the reins off of the mare's head and gripping them loosely in one hand. "Promise me you will find what we ordered and meet me by the gate by sundown?" she asked. "I have many friends in Cerenis, and today is too busy and bright of a day for any trouble to find me. Please, promise me?"

Gerard shook his head and unclipped a dagger from his belt and handed it to her. "So long as you keep this, I'll hear you when you call. Do not stray far." Refusing to meet her eyes, he turned his steed toward one of the branching alleyways and trotted off, Rupert following with a cheery wave.

Slipping the knife into her boot, Isabelle smiled and turned back away from the plaza and bustling crowds. Tugging on the mare's reins, the horse followed as she slipped down another alleyway opposite of her guards. She had another friend to meet in Cerenis who dealt with a much different type of product than snacks and gems.

The alleys were a maze-like structure, branching further and further like the roots of some stone tree. The noise of the seaside town dimmed and soon the world was hushed, the only nearby sound being the loud clip-clop of the mare's hooves. Shoulders stiffening at the eerie silence, Isabelle pressed onward, until one sight made her stop.

An alleyway branching off to her left revealed the street once again, crowded with carts. Halfway down its length sat a figure, hunched over his knees, seemingly asleep. She couldn't see his face, but his attire and the state of his clothes clearly marked him as poor, or facing rough times. The mare nudged her arm, but Isabelle stood still, watching the figure, until a foolish question sprung from her mouth.

"Are you alright, sir?"

Anonymous

Leeway had eventually fallen asleep to the gentle noises of the port town, and so didn't twitch or anything that he normally did. He paid no heed to foot steps or passer-bys, and didn't even move when a fly buzzed near his ear. The warmth of the sun was comfortable and, since he had no where else to go but home he stayed, hidden in the alleyway from soldiers and people who might be looking for him. It was tough life- being a runaway slave with no future, no opportunities that others had. Plus, being half vampire and half werewolf only made things worse. Pushed aside, forbidden and forced to be alone: an outlaw, in some cases. That was what he was, and probably always would be.

While sleeping he dreamed of a lake surrounded by trees and mountains- a very calming environment with music playing. In the dream leeway was sitting at the lakes shore, playing a guitar. It was a rather happy dream, and he never wanted it to end. Suddenly, his ears picked up a voice from outside and he instantly ended the dream and opened his eyes, but didn't move just yet. Was he alright? Well, that was a silly question. Didn't the person see the dirty clothes? The ripped pants and the torn cloak he was wearing? Was this person blind?

"Yes, I am, thanks for asking" he stated, starting to get up but looking away just in case it was someone who might recognize him. He smelled a horse and heard it, and he also sensed that the person was of wealth, and he licked his fangs at the thought. Sure, he was a thief, with thief thoughts but since this person probably would recognize him he didn't move and made sure she couldn't see his face. He was frowning, his eyes narrowed and suspicious. "I'm....very sorry if I am in your way, I'll move..." He said, starting to back away. But then he got curious so he looked at the woman, his smile curious but cautious and green eyes shining. He showed his face to her and widened as he decided that the lady was beautiful. Her hair seemed to sparkle in his eyes and her clothes seemed to make the rest of her look amazing. There was a slight pause, but then Leeway bite his lip. No- it wouldn't be a good idea to talk to this one He thought to himself. He took a couple steps back.. "sorry!" He said before turning and running off. Best be safe than regret.

He ran off, zipping past people and shops, trying not to run into anyone again. He went in the direction of his house, small and by the looks of it a box would be better living. Since he had were-wolf and vampire genes he was very fast, faster than any human and faster than a horse (most of them) so he was certain he had lost the rich girl. He sighed and opened his door, shutting it with a loud slam and locking it. He didn't want to be cooped up here, but he told himself it was better than being caught. Anything was better than being caught. He sighed s he slumped down to the table, and folding his arms across his chest and peering at the door. Would she follow? Probably not. He wasn't worth a chase- he would most likely hurt her if she tried to knock on the door- human blood was always the tastiest.

He yawned and tapped his fingers on the wood, waiting for the right time to go back out again. Running was all he ever did, and it was  miracle that he was even living in a town. He knew the time would come for him to move again- he was sure someone would find him very soon. It was impossible for someone to hide forever. Gosh dang, why did he steal that medicine?! He had just done it for fun- he hadn't really done it for a good reason. He wished he could go back and redo things- maybe he would still be with his family. Tears started to stream down his face and he brushed them off his face and sniffed. Life was horrible to him, he had no chance to change it. He would probably never get a real job- someone might turn him in. And freedom? He could kiss freedom goodbye.

He rubbed his forehead and slouched in his seat. This day... just got worse for sure, and he never wanted to see that woman who had spoken to him in the alley again. He sighed and then decided to go outside for the second time that day. He put up his hood, and looking around, hoping that the woman was far away from him.

OOC-
notify me if you need me to change something! D:

Anonymous

The encounter with the impoverished man was strange, to say the least. As he took one long glance at her, she caught sight of his features beneath the looming hood he wore- a round face, a pointed nose, shimmering green eyes- and before she could say another word, he bounded off, disappearing amidst the streams of people. Isabelle stood gazing after him for a long moment before passing by the alleyway, continuing down her path. She had more pressing matters here.

The rest of the trip was short, past a few more alley turns and climbing a small set of crooked steps. The house she sought was soon visible, three layers stacked haphazardly upon one another and with the appearance that it would soon topple over. How it remained standing was a marvel. A stumpy hitching post sat outside, to which Isabelle tied the mare's reins before stepping up the steep porch steps and entering the eerie house.

Keeping her head down, she passed quickly up the stairs to the second floor- though not quickly enough to avoid the scent of some horrible steaming broth. Holding her breath, she reached the top stair when a lanky figure stepped in her way.

"You lookin' a bit ou' o' place, ma'am," sneered the man through rotted teeth, beaming at her with an intolerable grin.

Sure that the hood covered her face, her grip tightened on the hand rail and replied, "Madam Tolleraugh is expecting me."

The man only chuckled, giving her a long, hand look before wandering off. "Yeah, aint she expec'n' us all." Unnerved but still determined, Isabelle passed the final step and ascended the next staircase to the final floor. Ahead stretched one lone hallway, a door at the end dimly lit around the edges by a faint orange glow. Slipping the hood off of her head, she twisted the bland brass knob and pushed, creeping into the room.

"Come in, my dear. I was waiting for you. Please, sit down. Make yourself comfortable."

The witch-doctor sat in a comfortable-looking, yet ragged chair at the far end of the cramped room. Walls and desks were overflowing with knick-knacks and vials, yet every interesting device paled to her appearance. Distracting jewels and bands hugged her large form, while a mess of black tattoos coated her dark brown skin. She watched Isabelle enter and seat herself with wide eyes, knowing eyes. She smiled, revealing a long row of crooked teeth.

"You know you only delay an inevitable truth, darling," said the witch, shaking her head yet looking oddly amused. With great effort, she rose from her seat and waddled toward a chest filled with unlabelled vials. Still, she seemed to have no trouble discerning which content was which, and began to pull a few free with her pudgy fingers. Isabelle watched, silent, her face hard, breath still.

"But, you know how it is... We're all so rough to change. Some day soon, your father will die, and you will then need to marry. I don't have enough potions to give your duke a second life. Keep stalling death all you like, dear, but the man will still topple like a sack of potatoes."

"I'll ask you not speak of him in such a manner," Isabelle replied breathlessly, her voice low, expression dark. The witch-doctor had been present throughout much of Isabelle's life, but her tactlessness was hard to endure in such personal strikes.

But the woman relented, offering a sad smile. "It's only my condolences, miss. I'm sure you would be a pleasant duchess. But a duchess would not make a pleasant you."

---

Gritting her teeth, Isabelle lead the mare swiftly back through the alleyways, the vials she had purchased now sitting safely bundled in her saddlebag. The nerve of the woman! She might speak truths, but for those who could not read the future, the burden was almost too heavy to bear. She knew that her father was approaching his final hour, but there was still time to stall. Time to figure out how best to deal with the oncoming storm...

Without even noticing, Isabelle had stepped onto the street once again. The sun was lower in the sky and the crowds had noticeably thinned, enough so for her to see a familiar figure step in her path.

The same man she had encountered earlier.

I'm not being followed, am I? "Sir?"

Anonymous

Leeway hissed as he walked down the street, his fangs showing. Oh- he was hungry alright, and he wandered around, this time looking around for blood. It was a dangerous thing for him to do this- what if he was caught drinking someone's blood, recognized and taken back into slavery? Ah- everything he seemed to do now days seemed dangerous. It wasn't fair, but that was life fore you. Leeway sighed as he wondered for the good blood, and kept being pushed away by the crowds and lost that perfect moment to attack. He growled loudly as he got hungrier and hungrier, and he decided to just ignore it- nothing was working at all. He just simply wandered around trying to stay out of trouble. The day seemed to get darker as the day went by, as the crowds thinned he took of his hood, showing his face, and most importunately: his sharp, cloud white fangs.

It wasn't until a while that he bumped into the woman again, the one he had seen earlier. He struck a smile her way and nodded to her. "Yes, what do you want?" he asked, as polite as he could manage. He was starving and blood was almost free and he eyed Isabelle hungrily. She was a human, and therefore tasty, but who could blame him? It wasn't his fault he was half vampire! Blood was what Vampire's lived for- they lusted for it! It shouldn't be illegal for vampires to suck blood- it was like saying it was Illegal for humans to build things! He folded his arms and studied the woman. "It's very dangerous for someone like you to be walking alone, you know" A person like him might just attack you. He narrowed his eyes at her and watched her every move. And finally, he made his move.

Leeway smiled a bright smile, slowly stepping closer. "So I was wondering if you could help me with something..." he started, his eyes flickering this way and that. He unfolded his eyes and reached out to touch her shoulder, hoping to expose her neck. He bared his fangs and hissed, looking hungry and very desperate. "Just one bite" He said to her, growling lowly. He cocked his head and went for her neck, looking forward to the tangy taste of fresh human blood.

What he hoped would happen was that he would get his share, hug the woman and go on his way, running fast out of the city so he could confuse her just in case she wanted to hurt him or something, and then after an hour or two go back home and take a nice relaxing nap. He thanked the gods there wasn't a full moon tonight... he didn't need anything more to worry about. He hoped this woman didn't have any body guards or anything either, or else...

He might have made another huge mistake.

Anonymous

The punch came from nowhere.

As the stranger leaned forward, his teeth glimmering with all intent to drain blood, a fist wearing a heavy metal gauntlet collided with the side of the man's face, knocking him aside. What few people littered the street now either screamed or ran, unwilling to become entangled in the chaos that followed.

With a battle roar brimming with experience and strength, Gerard toppled onto the creature, pinning him to the cobblestone beneath his older yet incredibly strong form. Rupert appeared next to him, his red hair whirring like flames in the breeze, his sword pointed at the attacker's neck. No escape.

Standing still, Isabelle exhaled and blinked. It had happened so fast- the approach of his seemingly sweet demeanour, then the deceit, the attack. She had been completely unprepared, left her defences wide open. He would have surely drained her dry, given the opportunity. Jolting back to awareness, she looked on as the two guards tried to subdue the vampire.

"Yeah, not so tough now, eh?" sneered Rupert, twisting his sword with confidence. At the sight of his pearly-white fangs, however, Rupert paled and gripped his sword more tightly.

Drawing a lengthy hunting knife from its sheathe against his thigh, Gerard pressed its blade roughly against the stranger's neck. "You've just harassed the daughter of the duke. Would you rather stand trial or die now, vermin?"

Glancing over the saddle of her mare, Isabelle noticed her companion's steeds standing patiently a few feet away. On either side of both horses stood new slaves, four in total. Their hands were bound with rope, their bodies strong yet famished. They would be treated well at their estate, but not knowing what to expect, they would likely be tempted to escape. It was the unfortunate part of recruitment; force them into a decent life, or set them free to die in poverty.

Swallowing stiffly and appreciating the fact that her neck remained unscathed, she looked back to the man who had attacked her.

Anonymous

For the record, Leeway hadn't expected guards to attack him. He growled as he went down, and turn on his force field just in case. He bared his fangs at his attackers, and hissed at the girl he saw in the corner of his eye. "You have no idea" he growled, looking hungry and very angry. There was no escape, but luckily these were just puny humans, and not ones like Leeway. No pain came and the guard was like a feather, but still Leeway did not move. "Your swords are no match for a force field" he muttered, fire in his eyes. He never drank anyone dry-he just needed a sip or two. His werewolfness helped that, so he just needed a tiny bit of blood. However, people still freaked out about the pain the fangs gave.

"You people must not know alot about Hybrids" he sneered back. He was stronger than any human-it was surprising that the gaurds hadn't tied him up yet with silver chains... Because that would burn. Leeway smiled as the first man got out a weapon and put it to his skin. Leeway laughed and pushed it away, "I have a force field on- none of that can hurt me or cut my skin" but, there was a opportunity to drown him. "Considering the options, I'll take the trial. It'll be more amusing" he growled and snapped at the men, still looking starved. It wasn't looking too good for Leeway, and he didn't see a drink of blood in the near future. Maybe fate wanted him to be a slave? Leeway sighed and looked away from the men, and heard his stommach growling. Perfect. 

Leeway just gave up, not looking sad but just... done. He sighed, and smirked at the sky. just take me away now. he thought to himself. He stoped fighting, stopped growling and hissing, and it was obvious he had given up. 
Ah, it wasn't worth the effort. If he ran now they would probably have the city's soldiers after him, and they would probably kill him for sure. Ah what the he'll- he should just face it- he lost. He had failed. It was bound to happen soon anyways, so why not now? 

What he dreaded was all the work he'd have to do. Slavery- he was going into slavery once again. 

Awesome. 

"So.... When is this so-called trial?" he asked, pretending to care. 

Anonymous

Holding his sword in front of himself, Rupert inched forward, peering at the attacker over Gerard's shoulder. "Did... Did he say hybrid? What does that mean?"

"From the look of it, vampire, and... werewolf?" Gerard scowled. Working in Serendipity had its benefits, sure, but he often missed the simplicity of Connlaoth. There, few people had so many tricks up their sleeves. But his time in this magic-riddled province had given him an eye for the strange, and determining this stranger's muddled origins wasn't too problematic. At the mention of a force field, Gerard stiffened, but confusion swept through his mind.

A vampire, for sure. He could probably knock me back twenty feet right now- so why isn't he? Attacking the lady in daylight still, in the middle of a street... He must have grown desperately hungry. His strength must be waning without blood.

"Grab the cuffs- the dampening ones. And your trial will be as soon as our duke sees fit." The jingle of iron sounded near his ear and Gerard reached to grab the cuffs- until he noticed the slender hand that held it, covered in a satin glove. Isabelle stood at his side, watching his face with an odd expression on her face; of regret or pity, he couldn't tell. She was already beginning to pale from holding the iron cuffs so closely, which Gerard took and began binding the attacker.

It was a well-known fact that Serendipity-born citizens all had some weakness to the iron element; Isabelle herself had nearly died as a child when she had found a small iron statue that she had cradled for the rest of that day. Not only would these iron cuffs naturally harm him and keep him bound, but a stable enchantment to block the wearer's magic and weaken their body would surely keep the creature in check.

Sure that the cuffs were secured, Gerard slipped the key into his front pocket and pulled the hybrid onto his feet before sheathing his sword. Isabelle stood rooted on the spot, watching the man with the glimmer of resentment in her eyes.

"Is this why you travel alone, man?" she asked, her gentle face calm and seeming to have regained her soft disposition. "Does your creed dictate that you attack any soul who tries to be reasonable with you?"

((OOC: Sorry for the random delay; my dog passed away a couple days ago and its been a little weird here. Also, not sure if you read the background for Serendipity, but that iron weakness is mentioned here, in case you didn't know.))

Anonymous

"You humans are stupid. You're so stupid." He spat, looking at them with hunger in his eyes. Humans... were ignorant, as they didn't like the unknown or anything that was different from them. He watched as they got out iron chains, and he growled under his breath. Yeah sure- iron weakened him, but thanks to genes, it didn't weaken him too much. His magic faded away as he didn't see the point of it, but he sighed as his hunger consumed him. The trial will be whenever the duke sees fit? Oh whatever. If he didn't have blood soon, he would have to drink his own blood or something. What did vampires do when they couldn't have blood? The question made his head spin and he bit his lip. Usually vampires didn't get caught... so he didn't have an answer. Maybe... he could just ask his captors for like...animal blood or something? If they were going to turn him into a slave he couldn't function if he didn't get blood... he might as well ask. Could he die from having no blood? Probably not... he wasn't a full vampire.

When he was pulled to his feet he smirked and looked right back at the girl. Idiot girl, she was standing there like some brainless person. "I travel alone for many reasons" He said darkly, looking starving and defeated. "I do not have a creed- but sure. You could say a hungry stomach could dictate choices." Gods, he was caught, and it was only a matter of time they would learn he was a run away slave... and they would probably kill him- or keep him for themselves. Slavery was wrong, he knew that- but everyone kept up tradition. Traditions were important, people said, but what is the point of traditions if it only came back to destroy half of society? gods, now he felt like crying. But, he only fought back tears and became a little weak as the iron worked. Curse ancestry. He was so glad these cuffs weren't silver, or he would really be in trouble. That stuff burns.

Leeway sighed. "My name is Leeway" He sneered, ready to just be taken and locked away somewhere- warm, preferably. Oh boy, he was so hungry... and he frowned as his stomach growled. Perfect. He glared at his captors as his eyes glazed and he relaxed, giving in and giving up.

Life was horrible to him. Go figure.

OOC-

I am sorry about your dog DX T.T