Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Far Longer Than Forever [Shizzy]

Started by Anonymous, November 26, 2010, 02:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The first thing she did when she arrived on the continent was buy a coat. A black, leather coat, that fit tight around her torso and reached down to her waist. The kind with the thick, furry lining on the inside and the wide, furry hood. The kind that would be unaffordable in Thanatos. Aisha snuggled her face in the collar, loving the feel of it. Back home they had nothing that resembled this, and not even her lover, one of the Tam-Ma-Baan, would spend his fortune on this. But it was completely worth it. With a matching pair of furry snow boots -- Aisha figured her summer flats wouldn't do in this weather -- she felt richer than the church.

Aisha stopped for a moment, and pulled a map out of the linen bag that hung from her shoulder. After studying it thoroughly, she realized with a jolt that she had to be getting close. Finally; Fell!! Ever since she heard of its existence, Aisha had felt an inexplicably strong urge to venture there. Phocas deemed her a danger/adrenalin junkie, and she never really felt the need to disagree, because it was just too easy to see logic in it. And disagreeing meant she would have to dig for what the origins of this longing was, and digging wasn't something she liked to do. Thinking and self-reflection lead to doubt, insecurity, second-guessing oneself and undoubtedly an overwhelming amount of guilt, was Aisha's opinion. But this did not stop her from doing what she wanted. As always. And the legends about the Chaos magic only strengthened her curiosity.

The young woman scanned the horizon for as far as she could see, because it was still snowing lightly and the sky was filled with dark grey clouds. She grinned when she saw her own footsteps behind her. Such a long way she had come. It was three weeks ago since she had set foot on the ship that took her to the mainland, and now she was finally reaching her destination. Quickly, Aisha stashed the map in her bag again, the adrenalin pushing through her veins, and took up a good pace. She was determined to reach the ruins within an hour.

Anonymous

It was a predetermined path.

It had always been that way. He knew the forest...he would have said like the back of his hand, but it was more than that. He knew the forest like a family might know each other. He knew every tree, every rock, every glade and small creek. He knew the intimate details of the forest, he knew every back path and had the perfect mental map of the place. His memory wasn't quite eidetic it was still very good when he needed it.

The man in question was a young person in white fur clothes. He blended in so well with the fallen snow, even his quiver was wrapped in fur. It also helped his arrows were of a white birch with white feathers. There was barely any of his body that was showing at this time...what was showing was just his eyes, the rest of his face covered by a cowl and a hood, allowing only a person to see his strange yellow eyes. Instead of circular irises, he had four yellow triangles all point at the black pupils. He was a sleek looking man who was currently carrying a bow in his hand, running quickly over the snow.

He had to keep going, he had to make sure that there was no one going to go to Fell. It was a dangerous place, and only those that could not be infected were safe. His eyes were always scanning, and he knew that this was the perfect route, far enough away from Fell but close enough that the distance wasn't huge to cover. He blended carefully, the white fur managed to stay dry despite the snow dropping onto his clothes.

His eyes suddenly caught something though...they caught a person sticking out of the snow like the darkness of the sky at night. Just a black figure standing out in the white snow. From what he could tell, they were at least dressed for the cold weather. They were headed further into the forest though, the clearing that they were in wasn't going to last. His hands were quick to pluck an arrow from their quiver, and he waited, staying still. They all got a warning, and if they didn't heed it...well they would all get an arrow.

The twang of his bow disturbed the silence of the forest, as did the sound of the arrow hitting the trunk of a tree just in front of the person. "Halt pilgrim!" His voice was commanding and forceful, and another arrow was already loaded and ready. "You head toward desecrated lands. I cannot allow you to continue onwards without inspection!" As he approached, he noticed it was a female, which surprised him. Not many women came out during this season to Fell. If she possessed no magic, then she would be allowed to pass...but if she had magic, she would be turned away, and if she fought, he'd have to kill her. It was a horrible thing to do, but it stopped people from spreading the taint.

At least he gave decent burials.

Anonymous

Aisha flinched backwards when an arrow zoomed past her head and buried itself in the trunk of a tree right in front of her, the snow falling off the bark. Oh bother. She sighed and unsheathed her scimitar, turning around to see who her attacker was. An enthusiastic young recruit? A lonely hunter? A pathetic new minion seeking her favour??

The last possibility she considered unlikely, because pathetic minions usually didn't have the courage to aim arrows just past her. Unless it was some way to try and impress her. Anyhow, she was not in the mood to fight at all. Whoever it was that was trying to stop her from going to Fell, he had better stand aside. Unwillingly, Aisha scanned the horizon again, and frowned when she saw something white and furry moving towards her. A Yeti? No, that was most unlikely. As the figure approached, it explained the origins of the arrow as he was holding another arrow ready on his bow, and he proved to be a man. Of sorts. Aisha just stood there as he approached, the hand with the dagger hanging down at her side, her head slightly tilted and a puzzled expression on his face.

"I doubt there is need to worry," she answered carelessly while wiping a few flakes of snow off the blade of her dagger. "I suppose you could say I'm desecrated myself." Aisha figured he would check her for magic, like the rumours had told her, and curiously she let him come closer. He was at least an entire foot taller than her -- like most people on the mainland, but she just couldn't get used to it -- and his face bore strange tattoos, symbols rather than decorative art, like Aisha was used to, and they seemed to continue down his neck for as far as she could see. They were the only thing that did not blend in with the environment, and the fact that he had them earned him some respect. He might prove interesting after all.

Anonymous

He didn't know why some people insisted on visiting Fell. You would think that no one would want to risk the wrath of the Chaos Magic...but every once in a while someone thought it was a good idea to just check the ruins. While he didn't particularly like letting anyone go into the ruins of Fell, he knew that normal non-magical people were safe. He had heard that there was a religious sect that was safe somehow as well, but if they were magic, he didn't care. He'd ensure they didn't go in one way or another.

As he got closer, he had to remove his face mask so he could talk easier to this woman, to explain the situation to her. It allowed her to see his strange tattoo covered face easier, which he wasn't always in favour of. However it would be impolite after all...though at times he believed it would be impolite to allow his face to freeze off. She was a strange looking one, he would admit, though he remembered how he looked when gazing into a still pond. They were very similar...her hair and her skin bore similarities to him. However, her eyes were just normal...while his...were oh so different.

Her words were strange and different to him, they didn't make much sense to him. She was not infected, how could she then think she were desecrated? That didn't matter though, he'd have to see if she had any magic. Then he would explain to her what would happen if she did have magic, and did want to continue into fell.

"I am called Chaucer. I am a guardian of Fell, my sworn duty is to warn travellers of Fell. It is a cursed place, where the magic of infinite chaos swarms and infects all those with magic who touch it. Do you possess the gift of magic?" He asked as he lowered his bow somewhat, though kept the arrow knocked and ready just in case. Some tried to attack, some tried to explain, those that were gentle and peaceful were met with the same attitude...those that were hostile however...met with an arrow.

Anonymous

"Chaucer, hm?" Aisha repeated thoughtfully and let the name melt on her tongue. She had to look up to be able to see his face, and now she had a chance to notice his eyes. What the hell? she thought as she studied them curiously. Never in her life had she seen such eyes, filled with yellow triangles instead of normal irises. She realised she was staring and with a smile, she turned away her gaze.

"I suppose you could say that," she answered his question while she turned around and pulled the arrow out of the tree bark (with some difficulty). "Tell me, do you always warn travellers by the means of an arrow in their back? Or in my case I guess I should say 'almost'. 'Cause when you keep going like this, there won't be a whole lot of travellers left, don't you think?"

Aisha positioned the arrow on her gloved palm, and while the wood decomposed and rotted away before their eyes, the metal arrowhead oxidated heavily, turning brown, until there was nothing left of it.

"And what on earth is wrong with your eyes?" she added as if nothing happened, gesturing towards his face with the same hand.

Anonymous

Everyone always looked at the eyes. The only people who had eyes like his were members of the Arkhast, like himself. It made him feel unique in some way, but it also made him wish that people wouldn't just openly stare at them. He always felt uncomfortable with it, but then again he wasn't used to human contact. Finally she stopped staring and the hairs on his neck relaxed, it had felt almost...predatory in a way.

"It would be the greatest day in my life if there were no more travellers to Fell. If I had been aiming for your back, I would have hit your back. It is a warning shot, to get your attention, and it did." She had admitted that she had magic, and that was not a good thing, at least not for her. It meant that if she was travelling to Fell, her journey had ended.

Of course, she felt it necessary to demonstrate her magic, and that only meant that he WOULD have to turn her away. This was the difficult part, he'd either have to convince her to leave, make her leave and hoped she did leave, or kill her.

"My eyes? They are the eyes of an Arkhast, that is my people. They allow us to see in the dark, to see the heat that people and animals give off, and...there are times when I can see the auras of those gifted with magic. They are not important. You must go back the way you came. Any magic user who enters Fell becomes infected, and anyone who is infected must be killed." He spoke with serious tones as he levelled his gaze to hers. How would this one react? They always reacted differently.

Anonymous

Okay so, his eyes were pretty cool. They would be a great asset to anyone magic- or non magic user. Chaucer -- if she remembered his name correctly -- mentioned how no travellers would be the greatest moment of his life, and Aisha wondered why on earth he had taken up this job in the first place. It did not sound like a fun job. For most people, anyway. Aisha considered the life she would be living, and the domination of some infernal humans and cute little mages sounded like fun. The only problem was that she would probably never be able to relax or have some sort of Phocas around to play with.

Chaucer's voice turned more serious, and Aisha rolled her eyes. "Yeah, you see, I think that is a bit of a problem. I don't know if you recognise necromancy when you see it, but let me assure you, I am a necromancer. This means I have come all the way from Thanatos. THIS means I have been travelling for just about three weeks to get here. In conclusion, you're gonna have to come up with something better than that." Aisha sighed dramatically. "Look, if you wanted me to I could tell you I won't go in, and backtrack for a while, but then I could pick another road to go in anyway, and you'd have to follow me to make sure I don't enter. I'm sure you have a lot of other travellers to 'inspect', so I doubt you'd make time for me. But why don't you tell me something about yourself, eh? It's gonna take more than a mere arrow to kill me."

She sent him a charming smile, and sheathed her scimitar.

Anonymous

If there were no more travellers, there would be no more chaos from Fell, and there would be no more reason to kill. No...they'd always find reasons to kill, but this would be a reason anymore. It'd be one step closer to a better life at least right?  It would mean the Arkmast wouldn't need to continue to train children to guard different areas of Fell. It was a good dream really, it would be nice, he'd have no idea what to do with himself, but he'd never have to put an arrow into a person who's only crime was wandering into Fell.

"Arrows kill all, there is not a person that hasn't died from them. I do not care where you came from, but you cannot go into Fell." This woman was infuriating, had she never heard of the curse of Fell then? "An hour ahead is where the magic of Fell begins. It will infect you immediately...the moment you cross the threshold you become infected. Your magic is uncontrollable, it no longer acts as you want. People around you go mad, animals become rabid, and any mage you come in contact with gains it as well. Fell was destroyed by this cursed magic, and if it spreads, the world could once more be plunged into chaotic darkness. As an Arkmast I swear this to you, if you wish to continue, I will kill you, whether it is before you reach Fell, or after you leave Fell." There was such a serious tone to his voice, his expression held no hint of jocularity to it.

This was a serious matter.

"I do not know everything about the isle of Necromancy, and those that live there, but even you people are affected by the curse. It is real, very real, it is why I was born and trained, so please do not think that this is a lie to scare you. It is a very true threat." It would be a shame if this girl was to die by his hand. She would at least be able to tell him more about the isle of Necromancy that she came from.

"At my camp...I have some books. One details Fell's curse...if you were to read about it, with first hand accounts from my people, would that help?" After all, she just had his word, and he could be lying or telling her whatever he wanted. OF course, there were few reasons for him to actually do so but...that was a whole different matter. The book may not help convince her, but it had good accounts to it, and it would hopefully stop her from wanting to venture any further.

Anonymous

Aisha sighed, annoyed by his arrogance about his aim with a bow. It was not that she doubted his aim, but now that she knew he would be following her and waiting to kill her if she proceeded, she would be on her guard. And obviously he had no idea that she was trained and quite capable of snatching arrows out of the air. That was, when she saw they were coming. It wasn't easy at all, and it took a great deal of concentration and agility, but it could be done.

But well, the guy did seem very serious. And suddenly he caught her attention again, with a comment about books. Books! Books and the promise of thorough knowledge about Fell. Since this had been the reason she had first come here -- to satisfy her need to know -- Aisha was rather tempted by it. Books meant she wouldn't have to risk her life and sanity to figure out if the myths were true. Books meant warmth and imagination. Books meant the smell of old parchment and ink. Aisha grinned happily.

"Well, stranger, it seems you have changed my mind. Please lead the way."

It occurred to her that he could easily be lying, that it could just be a ruse to get her away from Fell, but truth be told she didn't really care. If the books were real, all was good, and if they weren't, she'd simply go back and go in nonetheless. Unless of course, this Chaucer managed to stop her. But she would worry about that when the time came.

Anonymous

At least she was willing to listen to reason.

Some people thought he had been lying, that there were really great riches and old powerful artifacts inside the city and he was just there to stop people from taking them. He did not understand how these people operated, how their greed could be so great that they would risk their lives? They couldn't just leave well enough alone. If the Arkmast had a lot of man power to their name, they'd have built a giant wall around the surrounding edges of Fell. That might keep most of the people out of the chaotic energy.

Now things just got odder didn't they? This woman's face just seemed to light up at the idea of books. It might be...it might be a good sign. If she was enticed by things like knowledge, maybe he could stop her from wanting to go on any further into what he knew...was absolute death for her.

"It is this way." He the arrow knocked in his bow, he pulled his hood and face mask back up and gestured for her to follow. He stuck closer to trees than he normally would, but the point was to make sure that she could see where he was. They found themselves at a thicket, one where the trees were a bit closer than in the forest, and surrounded by large angry looking thorn bushes that were still thriving. Carefully with his gloves and bow, Chaucer pulled aside some of the bushes and gestured her inside. It was almost like a house inside, Chaucer seemed to have created a large spacious room, the trees having been grown in such a way that they protected him from the falling snow, even when their branches were bare.

The large circular area seemed to have everything the man could need...a small mirror, a fire pit, a small bed covered with furs and pelts, he even had some semblence of furniture, such as a couple of stools, a small wood and metal box where he kept valuables, and even a small storage place for pots, pans, plates and silverware. Inside it was actually quite warm, despite the fire pit looking like it hadn't been used in a while. There was enough room for a person of even Chaucer's height to stand in. Along one of the curves of the circular room, some chopped wood had been piled, which Chaucer began to gather, along with some kindling. With some flint and steel, the man soon had the fire going, and began to remove the thick furs that covered him. He was left in simple grey leather pants, and a sleeveless tunic which showed that the strange symbols and runes did continue over his body. "I hope you do not mind my humble home...I hear that city people live in such splendour and wonder...try to...make yourself comfortable."

Anonymous

Well, this certainly makes my Top 5 Most Unexpected Things To Find In A Snowy Forest, thought Aisha while she looked around in awe. It was like a tiny isle of warmth and civilization in a cold white world. Her gaze shifted over the wooden furniture, the remains of a fire, the personal belongings... all the things that made this place a home.

"Are you kidding me?!" she replied enthusiastically. "This is awesome! If I could choose between staying in the city and living here, I would totally move. Then again, I don't think many people here are very fond of... well, my kind. How on earth did you find this place??"

She sat down on a stool on Chaucer's request, glancing up at the thick roof of branches overhead. It had still been snowing mildly when they were making their way up here, but this natural ceiling seemed to be doing a good job of keeping it all out. Aisha unbuttoned her coat, folding it in two and placed it on her lap. She had long sleeves, and she felt like this oasis made it unnecessary to wear a fur lined jacket.

"Have you always lived here?" Aisha asked then, scanning the room for the books she had been promised.

Anonymous

"I am...glad that it suits you...most people I have found don't care for the rustic style." Chaucer didn't really care what people thought about his world though, about his home or his work, but he was happy that someone actually liked his little home. It was just enough for him really, he didn't need the large luxuries that others had, minimalism was fine for him.

"Oh, this is an Arkmast hut...my people made it long ago for Fell Protectors like myself. It's to ensure that we have a place to live while we are out here." He explained offhandedly to the woman. Chaucer was at least glad that his people had thought about this sort of thing. It was good to know there was forethought with his people...though there had to be all things considered. They managed to think about the repercussions when it came to Fell right?

"No, for twelve years I lived with my people as I trained to be a guardian." Chaucer didn't really mind if she asked questions about his life, it was an open book. Well actually it would be an open book to her once he got it for her. He knelt in front of his bed and reached underneath, pulling out a small wooden box and opening the lid. There were some books piled into the small chest. He took out one of the old leather-bound books and carefully replaced the lid. Turning around he strode to the woman and held out the book for her. "This is the Arkmast Lore...how we started out before even Fell...fell. Ahem. Please...be careful with it. There aren't many of these..." Chaucer set upon getting the fire started, knowing that it was going to start getting cold soon. He got to setting up the fire, and using some flint and steel and get the fire going. It didn't take him too long to get the fire going. When he did, he headed back to his bed and sat upon the edge.

Anonymous

Aisha was silent when Chaucer spoke, merely admiring the simplicity and the effectiveness of the dwelling he lived in. His story about twelve years of training reminded her of her own childhood. Of course she probably couldn't compare her story with his, but she too had been raised by masters of her kind for years and years. She hoped Chaucer had had a better childhood than her.

"Thank you," Aisha said softly and almost submissively when she stood up to receive the book she had been promised. She stroked the leather bound cover and held it carefully, as if it was the most precious thing in the world. If there was anything Aisha would never disgrace, it was knowledge and the things that provided it, be it a person, ink on paper or carvings in stone. She eyed the book for a while, anticipating the moment she could start reading. However, a question nagged at her in the back of her mind.

"It's good to see that there are still some honest people in the world," she started with a slight grin, referring to the fact that he hadn't lied about the books. "So uhm... I presume I will not be allowed to leave with this book. Do you mind if I make myself slightly more comfortable over there?" Aisha pointed to Chaucer's bed. A momentary resurface of ethics had occurred -- she realised it would hardly be appropriate to pounce on his bed without his approval.

Anonymous

Of course, even after the twelve years of training he still trained. Twelve years of living and breathing the work that he would do out here, it was second nature. Stringing a bow, knocking arrows, burying the dead, running from here to there, knowing the position of the sun and how to use that to gauge distance and direction...everything was second nature, like blinking, breathing, sleeping. His people had tried to explain it, that it was in a way, that all his people did work like this, and that they had done it for so long, each new Arkmast simply...knew these skills. They just had to be awoken in the mind.

"Of course, we had an agreement, I would not seek to break such a thing." Chaucer was true to his word. Though usually his word was 'If you go into Fell I'll be the one to kill you' but that wasn't the case here. It was different, and it was a bit nicer. He just hoped that all the accounts and records and words in the book helped her to see that Fell was not a place for anyone with magic. That her going there would spell doom. The expansive book of Fell, of how the curse worked, how it infected, how it made people lose control.

"What?" He blinked as he looked to where she was pointing, then nodded. "Oh, yes, of course. It is a much better place to read." He stood up instantly and moved away from the bed, gesturing for her to take it. He instead took upon sitting on a stool, putting a small kettle onto the fire. He might as well get something for them to drink, though, he could only offer her a special nutrient rich tea made from trees to help ward off diseases for the time being. He could always offer a hallucination inducing tea that his people drank for purification but...he wasn't sure that would go over too well. "The isle of necromancy...that is...that is a long way to the west isn't it? You must be a devoted scholar to want to come this far to see a place like Fell."

Anonymous

With a half smile, Aisha shook her head while she sat down on the bed, kicking off her boots so she could sit with her legs crossed beneath her. "You don't have to leave just because I sit here. I'm not so big that I have need of the entire bed, or at least I like to think so." She threw him a playful look. He was a strange man. And way too serious. Carefully, she cradled the heavy book in her lap and flipped the cover. Immediately, the immaculate handwriting caught her heart and soul, and she could feel herself being drawn to the power that was knowledge. Already tangled up in the words and sentences, Aisha barely even heard Chaucer's question.

"Uh..." she started while tearing her gaze from the ancient pages. "A scholar?" She stared at him in confusion for a while, before she realised what he had asked. "Oh. Well, not really. But when I come across something that sparks my interest, I have to know everything. I can't stand not knowing. And I don't really mind if this knowledge comes from books or from experiencing it myself, as long as the sources are credible and consistent."

Aisha looked down on the book again. "You know, Chaucer, even though I am a rather quick reader, I don't think I can actually finish this book in one day."

Secretly, she was hoping he would say she could stay in his little refuge, because then she could read all through the night if he wouldn't mind the candlelight. It had been long ago since something caught her interest this much. The last time must have been... well, it must have been just before she met Phocas. For a moment, Aisha's mind lingered on the possibility that he might miss her, but she dismissed the thought as quickly as it came. Even though they were lovers, Phocas did not love her.

Anonymous

"Sorry, I am...restless still, so I would just be distracting." Chaucer smiled at her with a shrug of his shoulders. If he were to stay there on the bed with her, he would end up moving his leg up and down as if following some unheard beat. It would also be nervousness of some kind, he'd never been inside during the day like this...while he did know that there wasn't anyone else travelling to Fell, he still...liked to keep moving. Night time was the time to rest.

"Oh...so you are more of a passionate person following your interests." He didn't sound any less impressed really. A person who just...went out to find knowledge because they wanted to was rather fascinating in his impression. Being able to do that was probably pretty liberating to say the least. "That must be nice, being able to travel at a whim." Chaucer murmured, more to himself than anything. While this was his life, all he knew, he still did like the idea of being able to see the outside world. He'd heard about the world before from people he encountered, usually dissuaded to leave Fell...unless they had no magic.

Chaucer looked at her thoughtfully as she brought up a good point. "I do not have...much company, but if you want to stay until you have read the book...sleeping won't be a problem, I can take one of the pelts and sleep on the floor." The man told her as he looked around the area. There was definitely an area for others to sleep, but he couldn't really imagine them sharing the bed for that matter. While the idea of carnal relations wasn't a new one, she was a stranger after all. While he did trust her in some ways...he couldn't say he trusted her enough to sleep beside her. He did believe that if he left her at the refuge tomorrow while he hunted...she'd stay here. She did truly seem to be a woman of knowledge, so the books would no doubt keep her here.

Anonymous

Aisha tilted her head when he muttered something to himself. If she was honest, she knew she was taking her freedom for granted. A strange thing considering she had lived in a damn church for eighteen years without being able to go anywhere. And then there was the luxury in which she lived. If she wasn't with Phocas himself, he would at least supply her with enough money or diamonds so she could be treated like a princess anywhere she went, and for as long as she wanted. And Chaucer seemed bound to Fell like she had been bound to the church. Aisha remembered the long years between the high stone walls, and though the surroundings were in no way comparable, the feeling must be roughly the same.

"Oh no, honestly," Aisha hurried to say. Though she normally wouldn't complain at all at him giving the bed to her and exchanging his own comfortable place to sleep for the floor, she felt it would be unfair if she agreed in this case. "I know myself well enough to predict with quite a bit of certainty that I will probably be up reading all night, and if you're gonna be sleeping I might as well sit on the ground. It's not as if I need a bed to read. And it's your bed. You have dibs."

Aisha hesitated a moment. "I suppose it would be suitable to offer a reward of some kind, because you are letting me read these limited edition Arkmast books... the reward being more than just me not going into Fell. So if you can think of something you want that I can provide, just let me know."

Anonymous

The life of an Arkmast was a somewhat difficult one in some ways. It was all about being able to handle the loneliness. It wasn't a terrible thing really, he had been raised by only a handful of people, that was to keep him from getting too used to company. Spurning him here and there when he went looking for company helped, it made him to see that companionship wasn't a good thing. As he got older, he didn't see that it was wrong and evil though...he saw that they had been training him. They wanted him to be able to live without it.

It was a cruel thing to do to a child, but it was a necessary thing in his opinion.

Chaucer gave a small smile and shook his head. "You have been travelling and have gone from cold to a warm environment...and now you will be in this warm room for quite a while...you may find yourself suffering from sleep sooner than you think...and if you do, you might want to sleep." Chaucer explained as he thought about it. He knew that after his travellers outside up and down the forest, when he got back here he'd have a bit of food then go straight to sleep. Though he may have been...influenced to be that way. "So I insist." He didn't want that sort of finality in his voice, but it was what he truly wanted to do. It was the nice thing for him to do anyway!

"Actually Miss...the thought of not having to hunt and track you to Fell only to put arrows through you is the best reward someone could ever give me." He had no need for gems and jewels, he didn't need gold and silver, he had all he ever wanted, and would always have what he wanted. "So it is a very fair trade...not having to take a life in exchange for letting someone read a book...I would do that a million times over if I never had to worry about people going to Fell...but if that isn't enough...your name would suffice. I realize that when we exchanged pleasantries you never did say your name."

Anonymous

Aisha shrugged. "Well, alright then. You don't look like there's anything I can say to change your mind." She was usually quite an energetic person, always doing something, but she also found it very easy to sleep late for hours and hours. But he might just be right. She narrowed her eyes a little, studying the strange looking man. He was certainly an odd one. Many a person would jump at the opportunity for a reward, but he sought nothing but her name.

"I'm Aisha," she said then. "I suppose I should have mentioned that before. But I'm afraid I'm not very good company when I read."

Anonymous

"There probably will be nothing no." Chaucer told her simply. He went back to focusing on the tea, adding the littles bits to the kettle and getting it all prepared. He had to look for his cups, eventually getting the little wooden cups out. Everything he had was either wood or stone, the best things that he could have, and the things that worked for him. While he had enough for two people, it was because...well for situations like this. He could very well encounter people that he needed to bring here for help.

"Aisha...that's...a very nice name." He commented, reflecting on the...two dozen or so names that he knew. It was definitely one of the better ones for sure! "There is no need to apologize. I am not...the best company anyway...it has been a few years since I have ever really had someone to talk to for more than...a few minutes." It was true, he hadn't had someone to actually talk to on such a deep space before. This was one of those experiences he didn't get to have very often, and he rather liked it. "The tea will be ready soon, I hope it is something you'll enjoy."