Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Far Longer Than Forever [Shizzy]

Started by Anonymous, November 26, 2010, 02:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Aisha looked at the book she was cradling in her lap, feeling sad for Chaucer suddenly. (Instantly she wondered when on earth the last time had been since she had felt even remotely sad.) She placed her hand on the first page, feeling the parchment beneath her skin, and then closed the book, putting it aside, next to her.

"I can see what would be the cause of that," she said softly. Aisha had wanted to say something along the lines of that's what happens when you're forced to kill everyone you meet, or play the big bad guardian otherwise, but for a change she decided to not speak her mind immediately. She figured Chaucer knew this very well, and that she was the last person on earth he wanted to hear it from.

Aisha glanced at the tea. She had never drunk tea -- in the church it had been mainly water and milk, and once she came to live with Phocas, it was fruit juices, wine and champagne. "Well, it smells good at least," she said on a lighter note.

Anonymous

He gave a rueful smile and a nod. "Could be how I live really. Could just be the universe punishing me for my wickedness hm?" The last bit a joke, something to try to liven the mood. What he did...it was wicked in one way. Killing people, to take a life, it wasn't a pleasant thing, and it would have consequences on his soul. His people didn't believe in heaven or hell, they believed in reincarnation. His actions in this world would weight heavily on his reincarnation. He would not be human again, but his sacrifice to help save the world would at least get him a peaceful existence. Perhaps a house cat, or a forest bird, something that was dignified but not as expansive as human.

Not a bad life, but if he was aware, it might be a pretty rotten one. Suitable punishment though.

Chaucer gave a small chuckle at her tea comment. "It smells better than it tastes, I assure you. It's more meant to keep strength up during the winter. The procurement of plants is a difficult one, moose meat is good, but it offer little else in way of vitamins." The tea helped to keep him from having several deficiencies kill him, especially in the winter. The trees sucked up all the good stuff from the ground around them, and stored it in their bark. Heating the bark released those good vitamins and kept him healthy. He added a few dried berries to improve the mixture of the taste, but because they were dried...they wouldn't add a whole lot. Still, it was better than nothing!

Anonymous

Aisha did not respond to the joke about his wickedness, as he called it. She didn't think it was actually something to be laughed at. She wondered if there was no way for him to let go of what he was and do what he actually wanted to do, but like herself, she knew he would never be entirely free. On the continent, people eyed her strangely and suspiciously. She had the benefit of having a homeland, a country filled with people like her, but Chaucer would find no such refuge except between these snowy trees.

She watched what he did with the tea, her chin leaning on her palm. With her eyes, she followed the dark lines on his face and down his neck. Impulsively, Aisha let herself slide off the bed and knelt next to Chaucer's stool. "May I?" she asked, her hand a couple of inches away from his face.

Anonymous

His sense of humour did leave something to be desired, but only because his life was a serious thing, and while he knew about jocularity, it wasn't something that he could actually practise. Things that he then might find funny wouldn't be...funny to say the least.

Sense of humour aside though, eyes upon him would disturb him, but not because he looked different...it would be because he was used to being unseen. In an urban environment, he wouldn't know how to deal with it. However, he wouldn't need to go into the urban places anyway, he could simply live on the outskirts...that is, if Fell were to disappear forever and take its magical taint with it. He wasn't honestly sure that would ever happen, his only real hope was that they trained another Arkmast and replaced him. Not that he cared of course, it was an honour to protect Fell.

Chaucer barely had time to notice that the young woman was suddenly beside him, he had been more focused on the tea. He shot her a quizzical look as she moved her hands closer to his face. "You may." He told her as he sat perfectly still, letting her do as she pleased.

Anonymous

Tattoos were a much appreciated phenomenon in her culture, but that was not the immediate reason Aisha was so interested in Chaucer's. She placed both her hands on the sides of his face and traced the lines on his forehead and cheeks with her thumbs, her gaze fixed on the symbols that appeared when she moved her thumbs. She noted his silvery white eyebrows, and gazed at the yellow triangles in his eyes, mesmerized by this strange looking man. Eventually, she lowered her hands and rested them in her lap.

"You are beautiful," Aisha said truthfully, sending him a smile. Compared to him, she could hardly brag about her tattoos. A raven on the back of her hand, a scythe on her upper arm and a phrase on her lower back suddenly seemed smaller than they had ever been. Aisha cleared her throat. "When did you get those markings?" she asked quietly.

Anonymous

Chaucer didn't move, and his breathing was very...very calm. He'd never had someone touch him this way before. It was...it was strange to say the least...it was foreign and odd but it wasn't unwelcome to say the least. He just wasn't familiar with it, and he didn't know this woman. She could very well have done something to him while he was here, head in her hands. Aisha could have just...snapped his neck. She didn't though, and it earned her quite a bit of trust with him. When her hands finally left, he breathed a small sigh of relief.

"I...thank you." Was all he managed to say. No one had ever said that to him before, and he didn't really understand the concept of beauty when it came to people. He never really had the time to think about it, all things considered. He was more concerned with getting people to leave after all, he was never really...looking at them. "These? All over my life...they started when I was young, when I was about seven...a test of faith, a test of character." Chaucer explained to her quietly as he looked down at his hands for a moment, one finger going to trace the designs on the back of his hand.

The kettle began to rattle at the moment and he was quick to take it off the kettle and set it onto a rock slab. "There...the tea just needs to sit for a few minutes and then we can drink. You...aren't hungry are you?" It wasn't getting close to when he'd usually eat, he only had two meals in the day, in the morning and at night...but he had seen people who eat during mid-afternoon.

Anonymous

Truthfully, Aisha could have gone on for hours just looking at Chaucer and studying every inch of him, but she figured it might better to hold back and admire him from a distance. And she wouldn't want to make him any more uncomfortable than he probably already was. Is that Aisha I am hearing? whispered a voice in the back of her mind. Aisha frowned inwardly and pushed it away, not realising that she was actually considering Chaucer's feelings instead of completely neglecting them, like she usually did with anyone else.

Silently, she stood up and sat back on the bed, one hand on the leather bound book she was still determined to read. "No thank you," she replied, not taking her eyes off the source of knowledge beneath her palm. "I'm alright. I don't eat much at all, really. Can I ask you more before I start reading? For example, what do the markings mean? Or are they just decoration? And are there many more of your kind?"

Anonymous

Chaucer was really glad that the woman had not wanted to see more of them. He wasn't a modest man, but they were holy symbols of his people and it would seem a little odd. Of course, he'd probably still show her later, but for right now this company, having someone around, he had to get used to that, and he was certainly not even prepared for such a thing yet. She was...nice, though her want of death had been worrying...but he understood why. She had to know, she had to find out, and even Death wasn't something that would scare her.

It was admirable but...for her to travel alone couldn't have been very wise. He was surprised she didn't have a bodyguard but...some people didn't need too much protection. He was sure that she would need it though.

"They are scripture of my people, holy symbols of protection and purification. They will keep my soul from being affected by Fell's power, from being corrupted by the influence...and to allow me forgiveness for what I may have to do in service of protecting the world from Fell's grasp." Chaucer explained to her, his voice going quieter near the end. Killing was not something that he liked to do, but it was something that sometimes had to happen. He could not be faulted for it after all. "There are indeed...my people live in secret, but there are many of us...just not in the open world. The majority of Arkmast stay hidden."

Anonymous

Aisha's expression showed a weak, sad smile when he told her about the forgiveness the symbols provided him with. She felt sorry for him in a way, because he obviously wasn't a great fan of what he was doing, but did it nonetheless because he knew it was necessary. Those symbols might forgive him up above, but he was clearly a long way from forgiving himself. She decided not to say anything about it.

"So I might as well have run in to any of them, eh? I guess I should count myself lucky then, because I doubt many others would have been inclined to let me read their holy scripture instead of killing me on the spot." Aisha winked at Chaucer, but the playful smile disappeared soon again. "Maybe... maybe I should tell you something about myself too," she thought out loud, gazing up at the ceiling of branches. "Would you want me to?" she asked then, looking straight in his eyes.

Anonymous

Chaucer had to be hard on himself perhaps, it was the only way to survive really. He didn't need to be coddled and told that what he did was okay, he needed to have the knowledge that it was wrong, that even though it was necessary it was still wrong. He had to be hard on himself, to keep his Arkmasity.

"I wouldn't know...we're allowed to know each other's existence, but we're not allowed to meet each other. For all I know they could be much nicer than I." Who knows, maybe they had different techniques for dealing with people. Knocking them out and dragging them out of the way of Fell's path, or some other strange way. He honestly couldn't say, but he hoped that they didn't take death lightly and killed without discrimination.

It was a pleasant thought, and he could hope that they were like him.

"That...would be nice, I would like to learn more about you." Chaucer had to look away from her, the intensity of her eyes was...well he wasn't used to just looking at people in the eyes so close...or having them see him so close...it was quite unusual and strange to say the least.

Anonymous

Whereas Chaucer found it hard to look at Aisha because he wasn't used to looking people in the eyes, she had the feeling he wasn't seeing her at all. Because of his unusual eyes she didn't feel like they were eyes at all. But she probably just had to get used to them. In a while, she wouldn't even notice anymore.

Aisha stared at Chaucer as a response to what he said. 'We're allowed to know each other's existence, but we're not allowed to meet each other.' The young woman blinked, wondering why the hell the Arkmast were so intent on isolating their guardians this thoroughly from the world, even from their own kind, while burdening them with the task of killing any magical person that ventured inside Fell. Aisha rubbed her face, trying hard to keep herself from saying anything about it, but she knew that she would eventually, if there was not something in the book that was going to give her a proper reason for keeping her mouth shut.

Luckily, Chaucer saved her (and himself) from a few awkward moments. "Of course," she said, still rubbing in her eyes to buy herself some time to get back on the right track. "Well, I'm not sure there's as much to tell about me as there is about you. Compared to you I am rather common. But, I grew up in a church. I've no parents anymore, and I lived and trained to be a necromancer for eighteen years."

Aisha paused, looking at her hands, uncertain how to continue. "After that I sort of joined the army. I was so lucky as to meet a Tam-ma-baan, a sort of general if you wish, and now I'm under his protection. So to speak."

She heaved a deep sigh and pushed her hair out of her face in an annoyed manner. "You know, I'm really not good at talking about myself. If there's anything you want to know, just ask."

Anonymous

Chaucer didn't want to look too much at her because he could see the magic about her. It always looked strange in his eyes, and though he didn't meet many necromancers it always looked...odd. It was dark, and it was light, it was death, and it was life. It was never the same, and he was glad to see that her aura was an even balance. However, that aura was slowly disappearing, and soon it was completely gone. That power he never learned how to focus, it came and it went...but now he could look at her more clearly at least.

The life of a guardian was a strange and lonely one, filled with death and life so easily, so maybe it was why he so hurriedly invited this woman to stay with him, to live. It was better than the alternative. A day or two of letting this woman read books and be around him was much better than having to put an arrow or two in her.

Chaucer started at her intently as she spoke of her life, he memorized everything she poke of carefully. He didn't know much of their world, like the religion of Thanatos, or a Tam-ma_Baan, though luckily she was there to tell him what that was. "Uh...I don't know exactly what to ask. What was it like...the church? What did they teach you there?" He asked her after he thought for a few moments. Chaucer wasn't good at small talk, but Aisha seemed to want some conversation so he'd oblige.

He quickly took the kettle off the slab and poured some of the steaming liquid out into the two wooden cups that he had, handing one over to her after he replaced the kettle on the rock once more.

Anonymous

Aisha shrugged. "To tell you the truth, I hated it. I felt completely isolated, captivated... separated from the world. So when I was eighteen I left, first chance I got. They did teach me my speciality, though... I'm an entropymancer, meaning that I can rot things with a touch, as you've seen. But I'm glad I don't have to be there anymore. And truthfully, I don't use my gift that much."

With a generous smile, she accepted the tea Chaucer gave her. It was still rather hot to drink, so for now she just used the cup to warm her hands on. It was only now that she realised how cold they really were.

"I'll start reading when we finish the tea, is that alright? I'll try and be sociable for a while." She grinned at Chaucer, while trying to find an expression in his extravagant eyes.

Anonymous

It sounded just like his world...just like his childhood. Except he didn't mind the loneliness so much really. It wasn't an incredibly difficult life he found, at least not until now. People came through the forest in groups or pairs even, and he wondered why at least he didn't have a partner in the forest. Maybe that's what the Arkmast was doing wrong. They should have all been in pairs, it's not as if they couldn't have spared it. "It is better to use the natural gifts that you were given than to use magic." His people survived without magic just fine, but some were dependant on it in some way. "Not that I think having magic is...bad. Moderation is good though."

Chaucer didn't want her to think that he thought she was a bad person in some way, that she was evil or wrong in her ways. Moderation was they key, without it...well people could end up like Fell. That wasn't a very comforting thought.

"And I shall also try to be sociable." He told her, a smile upon his face, one that touched his eyes for once. He raised the tea to his lips, taking a small sip, just to test. Satisfied with the taste, he took a bigger sip. "What...what sort of teaching is your religion? Tell me...about what the church teaches you."

Anonymous

Aisha cringed. She wasn't at all that devoted to the religion of her people, and now he asked her to go into specifics. Thoughtfully taking a sip of her tea, she nodded slowly. "Alright.. but you should know I'm not exactly an expert on this. The tea is really good by the way."

After changing her position, sitting with one leg beneath her, she started. "First off, my people worship the goddess Inima. She's the goddess of fertility and rebirth. We believe that no one really dies, not necessarily anyway. Sure, the body dies, but the soul lives on and chooses a new body to be reborn in every time the old body passes on. This ... philosophy is also what allows us to practice necromancy. It would make it alright to raise the dead bodies and use them as workers, because a body is nothing and a soul is everything."

Aisha paused, a frown creasing her brow while she drank again from the tea. "I don't take it too seriously, though," she added after a while. "I can't conceive children, so you might understand why I don't enjoy the thought that a goddess of fertility is up there, controlling our fates in any way."

Anonymous

Raised in a church but not devoted. The iron will of the young lady before him must have been strong if she had managed not to become entwined within the church's teachings. It was nice to see someone with as solid a constitution that he had. No matter what, he was devoted to protecting the world but guarding Fell from all those would plunder it with magic.

As she began to talk of the church, he listened intently, his hands cradling his tea cup. He wasn't sure what to think of it, the theory was good in practice really, it helped them to get through life easier which was always good. It must have been nice, being able to rationalize it in such a way. Of course, he didn't make the distinction really that his people rationalized things in generally the same way so that they could do what they want and still not feel guilty over it.

Chaucer gave a frown at her next set of words, idly taking a sip from his little wooden cup. "Can't you use magic to enable your body to allow children? I have seen magic to many things, mundane and wondrous, this seems like it would be an easy task." Unless of course she was simply...missing that part of her body. He roughly knew anatomy, and he knew that women had...something that made babies. He knew the act of conception and he knew about the womb where the baby developed, so if she was missing that it would be pretty bad wouldn't it?

"I'm sorry though, that you cannot give life...maybe your Goddess has plans for you?" He had to say something hopeful, something that wouldn't make him seem uncaring. He didn't much really, children weren't something that he thought about. He was sure that after he was replaced, he would continue living a life of solitude.

Anonymous

Aisha shrugged, not much bothered anymore by the fact that she would never have a baby. "I don't know, to tell you the truth. I don't really meet many magic users that are not necromancers, and by death magic there is logically just no way to create life. But I guess I'll try to find out if I ever feel the need to reproduce."

She couldn't imagine the act of producing life from magic would be easy, as Chaucer suggested, because the body would need a soul any way you looked at it, and how could one possibly conjure a soul with all its perfections, and imperfections? Unconsciously, she shook her head. It would truly be a miracle if she would ever have a child. If it was simply something in her body that refused to work it might be repaired, but first someone would have to find out what it was.

Aisha had to grin over Chaucer's comment, though. "I doubt the goddess has plans for me. I do not worship her, I never truly have, so why would she care about me? Besides, I don't like the thought that something invisible up there controls my fate, or that everything I decide is already preordained."

She gazed at the painted man. "How about you? Do you believe in any god?"

Anonymous

"You should stay here, there are many magic users that try to come to Fell." Chaucer said with a small sigh and a shake of his head...until he realized what he had just...said. It sounded a little...a little off. "I ah...meant that in a...slightly sarcastic way not that I think you should just stay around here for the rest of your life." That would be boring after all, and he'd never want someone to have to go through that. Ahem.

He didn't understand all walks of magic, he didn't even really understand the chaos filth that was in Fell to a large degree. There was all different ways to use magic as well, it was all very...very strange in his opinion...but people would still use it no matter what.

Chaucer nodded as she asked him the question. "I do...in a way. I believe there is something up there...it may not control our fates or decide what we'll do before we do it but...I do believe there is something up there." It was why he had the tattoos after all. In the service of his God, he would eventually reach the ordained Heaven of his people. He rubbed the back of his bald head, feeling one tattoo upon it...the one that would keep his soul protected. There were many like that of course, his soul could come under attack from any number of things but...this one was to protect his soul from his God's gaze.

If God was blind to him...then what he did would not affect him. "Raised in a church though...and you do not worship...that is different sounding."

Anonymous

Aisha smiled, gazing at the bark of the trees. Alright, she liked him. He was nice, and different, and so was she. She shrugged. "Maybe I will. I don't know, but I'm not sure my presence here is much appreciated. I'm too easy to recognise too, for people who know what they're looking at. Anyway, I wasn't planning on leaving any time soon."

She grinned while she drank the last of her tea and patted the book next to her. She sure as hell wasn't going anywhere until she'd devoured every piece of knowledge she could extract from Chaucer. Not because she wanted to take advantage of his so-called generosity, but because she simply HAD to know now.

Aisha glared at him through narrowed eyes at his last comment. "You disapprove of me then?" she asked sharply.

Anonymous

If only he was better with this whole...conversation thing.

"What do you mean by...you are too easy to recognize? Do many people know who you are?" It never occurred to him that maybe all Necromancers do have some sort of easily recognizable look about them. It would be a little odd to say the least, he never thought of a nation have a very distinguished look but he figured it was at least possible in some way.

Chaucer shook his head and frowned. "Not at all...that is not what I meant. I apologize if you thought that I was being...offensive. I meant that it was different, that it was more unusual. People who are raised by churches are often very devout in belief and worship...at least, that was how I was taught. It is simply a testament to your will." Whew, he was glad that he had smoothed that over somewhat nicely. He hadn't meant it was bad at all, he had just meant that it was...different.

Bleh, that was the only way he could put it.

They talked off and on for hours, the thought of going back out there was lost on Chaucer for a while. He didn't even know that the sun had gone down, the small fire in his pit was keeping the entire thing well lit still. It wasn't as if much lit filtered in or out anyway. Eventually Chaucer had become comfortable enough to remove his shirt, showing off the rest of his tattoos. It was a little warm, that was his reasoning anyway, and if anything he'd have rather been comfortable. At one point though, his keen senses picked something up outside...and he retrieved his quiver and bow.

"Aisha...there is...something I must check on. I will return hopefully in a little while. Please stay here." The forest was no place for someone to go into alone at night anyway, unless that person knew the forest well enough that it wouldn't matter. Armed and ready, Chaucer headed outside, shirtless and armed. He didn't have the time to get dressed, and his body was used to such temperature changes. The man looked like a ghost however, his dark tattoos now glowed an unearthly green colour, almost as if he were a beacon now.

It didn't take him long to find the source of his fears. A group of people, armed with torches, weapons and luggage, heading toward Fell. They seemed like a band of thieves to him, all dressed in leather armours, all carrying short swords, daggers, and a few small crossbows. Their professions weren't a concern to him. One of them was using magic to conjure drinks. An arrow was nocked and loaded into his weapon and he ran toward them to get a better listen to them. Ugh, he was hoping he'd be able to have a peaceful night but...that was not the case.