Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

...Ouch.

Started by Rhindeer, March 15, 2011, 11:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Cursing through his pain, Faolán somehow managed to limp his way up the steps to the church. His entire body was bruised and aching, but it was the deep wound in his thigh that he was worried about. Even though he had bound it with a strip cut from his pant leg, blood was still leaking through the cloth at an alarming rate and dribbling down his leg. Maybe he just hadn't done a very good job; he'd never had to bind something that bad before.

Never in his life had he seen so much blood.

Well, not since he'd glimpsed his mum slaughtering that pig...

While he didn't fancy himself weak-stomached and had had butchered his share of chickens, the thought came at the wrong time. This was no pig's blood--it was his. It was enough to make him go pale and stagger, a wave of dizziness overcoming him, but somehow he managed to keep his feet and not go tripping back down the steps. Maybe it helped that he'd pitched his weight forward when he felt himself swaying backwards. With a grunt, he let his weight thud against the large door, cheek pressed against the cool wood. Ow...

Faolán wanted to just slump down and curl into a tight ball, close his eyes and rest and hope the throbbing, stabbing pain would just stop--but something told him if he did that, he'd stay down; he could barely move his leg as it was. So after taking a few deep breaths, feeling like he'd run miles even though he'd hobbled less than half of one, he grabbed the door handle and shoved it open.

Blood dripped onto the floor as he stood there, favoring his right leg, and he braced his weight heavily against the door frame. "H...hello?" he called out, out of breath. It was late evening but there was always someone present at the church, right?

"I, uh...I think I might be dying."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Tanith had been settling down for the night with some sewing when she hard the noise at the front of the church. Alarmed she jumped to her feet, the father's pants sliding to the floor. What on earth-?

Moving quickly to the door, Tanith stuck her head into the church, eyes wide. When she saw the man, bleeding in the door she rushed out, not caring that she wasn't fully dressed, "Oh! You're hurt! Where is it?"

She had some knowledge of healing, though it wasn't much. The village was to small to warrant a real doctor, but the father had picked up some while at university and he had taught Tanith.

Reaching the man, she was surprised at how young he looked, "Here, hold onto me and let's get you off your feet." She carefully slid her arm under his, able to easily support his weight, "What happened?"

Rhindeer

Thank God, there was someone here. Faolán let out a sigh of relief and let his head rest against the door frame. "Uhh...it's my leg," he said, though it came out as more of a mutter. He was starting to feel woozy, light-headed and unable to focus on much. Not good.

But as the woman drew closer, stepping into the faint evening light cast through the open door...

That was when he saw the ram's horns.

Faolán gasped and jerked in alarm. He started to say, "Don't!" but a stab of pain cut the word off, and he didn't have the strength to try and pull away when the girl--who didn't look much older than him, though much taller--slipped an arm through his. A mage. This was a marked mage. With ram's horns! He'd never seen anything like it in his sixteen years, a horned human that is, and while he'd seen marked mages before, he'd always given them a wide berth. Now this one was touching him. Who knew what she was capable of--and he'd heard the stories!

But the discomfort that speared through him was nothing compared to the pain that lanced his leg when he moved, and he let out a sharp hiss of pain and slumped against her. Priorities. Beggars could not afford to be choosers when they were bleeding out, and this was a house of God.

Doing what he could to keep at least some of his weight off her, he hobbled next to her on his good leg and swallowed back his uneasiness. She was helping him. And talking to him. Right, she'd asked a question...

Faolán sucked in a breath to try and calm down. A racing heart would only make the blood pump faster. "Got attacked. In the woods. Some sorta...beast thing..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Tanith winced at the boys reaction to her. She knew what she looked like and it was easy to see that the boy was scared of her, "I'm sorry. I wont hurt you."

It made her so furious! She was helping the stupid twit and he was looking at her like she was some monster. She couldn't help it that she was born this and he was the one bleeding everywhere! She should be the one gasping!

She pulled him along, a little rougher than she needed to be, leading him to the kitchen, "Alright. We will need to get your pants off and clean this up so I can see what I'm looking at. I'm no doctor, there isn't one for miles. But I should be able to get you stitched up."

Rhindeer

Oh shit, was that the kitchen?!

She was taking him into the kitchen.

Another wave of irrational fear swept over Faolán, but then he remembered he was in a church. Right. Church. Holy ground. Witches couldn't work their craft in a house of God, right? God wouldn't let them, right?

Did that include eating people? Oh fuck! Was this the girl Leon was talking about? A glance downward revealed that, yep, she had scaly dragon feet, and he felt his blood go cold.

Faolán's eyes swept the kitchen when they entered, looking for jars of eyeballs and newts and fingernails and baby's skulls and boiling cauldrons, but it looked like a normal kitchen. Complete with knives. He was just feeling another burst of panic building up inside him when she said he'd have to take off his pants.

"Uhh...okay." But he hedged, still leaning on her shoulder. "Oh, hey, maybe we should do this out there, yeah? Probably more room out there." And it wasn't the kitchen.

Anonymous

Every time the kid had a little freakout, Tanith could feel him tense, could smell the fear on him. She wanted to just drop him on the floor and tell him he could wait for a not mage if it bothered him so much.

But that wasn't right and she didn't have the heart to do it. She laid him out of the floor, hands going to his pants, flushing slightly and she hoped the man didn't notice. She really wasn't used to taking off men's pants, but she couldn't do much with them on.

He was rather scrawny and Tanith was a little surprised at how smooth his legs were. He couldn't be much younger than she was. The wound was bad, a jagged gash through his thigh, blood oozing out of the split flesh.

Tanith pressed a small towel into the wound, "Here. Try and slow the bleeding. I'm going to get a needle and thread. It's going to hurt, I'm sorry."

Rhindeer

This probably would have been far more embarrassing if he wasn't currently bleeding.

But at the moment, ton between the irrational fear of the dragon-witch spawn--this had to be her!--and the very rational fear of blood loss, Faolán didn't struggle when she stripped off his pants and left him sitting there in his smallclothes, though she wasn't the only one blushing. Oddly enough, the sight of the woman's flushed face humanized her a little in Faolán's eyes. Baby-eating witches didn't blush, did they? Didn't seem right.

And if she was to do anything, well, she'd had her chance.

Pressing the towel to his thigh, wincing from pain and feeling light-headed, he nodded. "Oh...that's okay. Pretty sure I can take anything after this," he said with a nervous laugh, trying to calm his own nerves and make light of the situation. She really was going to help him. Despite the horns and stuff. Right, Faolán, come back from crazy town, now! Stop jumping to conclusions. Thank the lady, for God's sake! "So, yeah...thanks, miss..."

Anonymous

"You're welcome." Tanith's voice was a little chilly, still a little annoyed at the boys treatment of her. Gathering her needle and thread, she also poured him a large mug of strong wine. Kneeling next to him, she pressed the mug into his hand, "Here. Drink this down. It will help a little."

Taking a deep breath, she gripped his thigh and started to work, pinching the skin together and sewing it shut. She winced with each stab of the needle, hating the feeling of the flesh under her hands being pierced.

Rhindeer

Faolán gladly accepted the mug and wasted no time in gulping down the wine, choking from the flavor but swallowing it down before he could spit it up. It was strong, stronger than he was used to when he'd grown up on weak ale, but he was also in pain and if it would help, he'd keep on drinking without a fuss. In no time at all, he'd drained the cup and set it aside.

Just in time for the girl to begin her work.

Alright, so maybe he'd lied. He'd thought that the pain of his current wound would mask any pain that came from stitching it back up, but it appeared he was wrong. He felt it. He felt every prick of the needle as an addition to what he was already experiencing, and his hands clenched into fists, knuckles white. His head reeled--maybe from blood loss, likely from the strong wine he'd chugged on an empty stomach--and he grit his teeth in an effort to bite back the hisses of pain.

Yet it wasn't as bad as it probably would have been had he not drank the wine. It went to his head, creating a sort of odd disconnect...or maybe part of it was that strange high that came with a high amount of pain.

Faolán took deep breaths, eyes closed. "Don't think I got your name," he muttered abruptly as she worked, needing something else to focus on.

Anonymous

"I'm sorry." Tanith did feel bad as she watched the kid squirm. She tried to go quickly, not draw it out, but the wound was long and it was taking a while. She was fine talking to him though, just as glad to get her mind of what she was doing as he was. Blood and guts weren't really her favorite things.

"My name? Is Tanith. I help the Father out around the church. You never gave me your name. Your leg doesn't look that bad though. You'll have a scar, but I'm sure it will impress some girls." She knew she thought scars were rather impressive. Alexander had a few on his chest that had been...distracting.

Rhindeer

"It's Faolán," he answered through clenched teeth, hissed, whimpering breaths escaping him between each word. "My name, I mean. It's, nngh, it's nice to meetcha, uh, Tanith."

Would have been even nicer under different circumstances when he wasn't squirming under a needle, but there was nothing to be done. Each jab made him grimace and flinch in a most unmanly way and he really wanted to just slap her hands away and scream at her to stop. But then he'd keep bleeding and, well, he was a soldier. Surely he would receive more wounds in the future so he had better get used to this.

Faolán picked up the mug again just to have something to hold and squeeze, and he kept talking just to give himself something else to focus on. He kept his eyes fixed on the girl's face, refusing to look at the needle and his wound, as though it would hurt more if he could see it. Besides, her face was so...unusual. It was easy to distract himself by studying her horns and scales.

"Y-yeah, scars," he agreed, voice a little higher in his pain. "Girls like scars, yeah? D'ya find scars impressive?"

Anonymous

Tanith kept her voice soft and soothing, everything was calm and fine. The boy was already freaking out and she had dealt with enough injured to know to keep them relaxed, "Faolán? That's a good name. It's nice to meet you Faolán."

She was getting close to being finished. Just keep him distracted while she worked, "Oh yes. I think they are quite heroic."

The fact that Faolán might be flirting with her didn't even register. No one flirted with Tanith. Ever.

Rhindeer

"Yeah? M-me too. I mean, uh, I think scars are heroic," Faolán said, letting out another sharp, pained sound and trying not to jerk under the needle, fingers and toes curled and teeth clenched. Right now, he would have loved a pillow to scream into, manliness be damned! At least he wasn't crying. It hurt too much to cry.

"Wish it coulda been my arm. That's easier to show off than--hngh! Ah, than legs. Are ya almost done?" His voice came out a little higher and more panicked than he intended, breath coming in quick bursts. Ansgar's balls but he might go crazy if this went on much longer!

Anonymous

"Yes. You are being very brave." Tanith made a soothing noise as she quickly finished and bit the thread off. Stepping back, she wiped the back of her hand across her brow, "Just make sure you keep it bandaged and don't let in infection. Avoid getting it wet."

She glanced over to where the wine jug still sat, "Would you like another drink?"

Rhindeer

Faolán let out a held breath and ran a hand over his face, wiping away the sweat and--to his embarrassment--tears. His leg still throbbed and burned something fierce, but at least he wasn't at risk of bleeding out. And at least now the pain was at a consistent, manageable level. A little more wine would make it even better.

Now he just felt exhausted, like he could pass out and sleep for a week. Just wake him up when he was healed and didn't have to deal with it!

"Thank you," he said again, and gave a glance toward his pants. They were ruined, cut up and soaked in blood. There was no way he could wear those like they were now. Looking back up at Tanith, he gave a small nod and passed her his mug, realizing then that his fingers were sore from clutching it so tightly. "Yeah, please. Uhh...sorry for bleeding all over."

Anonymous

Tanith glanced around at the mess before taking his mug. It would be a pain to clean, but there hadn't been much choice. It seemed to fate recently to have men come make a mess all over her clean floors.

"It's alright. Don't give it another thought. I just hope you are alright." Tanith filled the mug full of the wine before handing it back to the boy. It should help him sleep through the pain. She started cleaning up, though she planned on keeping the pants. Cut the blood off and they would be useful for patching.

"Just drink that and rest."

Rhindeer

Taking the wine, Faolán downed the mug in several large gulps. Cup drained, he set it aside and leaned back against the kitchen wall, leg stretched out and tension melting out of him. The strong wine was already taking affect, making his head all woozy and body all relaxed.

"I'll be fiiiine now," he murmured, eyelids dropping and voice fading away. It wasn't much longer before he had drifted off into a deep sleep, head lolling to the side and chest rising and falling with light snores.

Anonymous

Tanith gave a prayer of thanks that the boy had passed out. It would be much easier on him to stay out. Carefully lifting him, Tanith moved him to her own bed, getting him settled then headed back into the other room to clean up and start some food for him to eat when he woke up.

Rhindeer

Faolán didn't know how long he slept, but he slept deeply from a combination of sheer exhaustion, blood loss, and the effects of strong wine. His throbbing leg was what ultimately roused him and, with a groan, he cracked his eyes open.

And had a moment of freezing panic when he realized he was in a but but didn't remember where he was. His throat tightened painfully and his muscles locked--and then it all came back to him. The witch. He was...he was in the church with a witch.

A witch who had helped him.

He let out a slow breath and gradually relaxed, though he still didn't move, remembering abruptly that he wasn't wearing any breeches. Gripping the blanket covering him, he looked around the room for signs of the girl. "Um...hello?"

Anonymous

"Ah, you're awake." Tanith glanced up from the fireplace, stirring the porridge she had started. It was nicer than normal, having boiled it in almond milk and sweetened with sugar, something nice for her patient. She was just glad she had learned as much as she had about leechcraft.

"How are you feeling? There is more wine." She nodded to the mug next to where he was laying, "And I'll have some food for you soon. Don't try to move around too much, you'll rip the stitches."