Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Streams

Started by Anonymous, April 13, 2011, 05:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

He did ignore her pointing out the cut. In his mind, letting the bleeding stop on its own would be the best option. He wasn't going to mess with it and cause more damage. But, he was also more preoccupied with the fact he needed to feed this girl, and cooking involved fire and fire was his weakness.

He looked at the rustling flames and shivered. He hadn't even noticed she had come over because he had been staring really hard at the flames. It wouldn't be the first time a fire phoenix hid in one and then burst out at him. And he burns so easily. Even cooking resulted in some burns.

But, suddenly her voice brought him back and he looked at her. "Huh? Oh.. the cut." he shrugged. "You were flailing about, it was bound to happen. And the blindfold? Well, didn't see that coming. I didn't even notice until I set you down." he shrugged. "No big deal."

There was a short pause. "Ok ok.. big deal. I saw you naked. But, I'm not going to tell anyone..?" He was a little flustered. After all.. he was close to a fire, and now in a want for truce she wanted to shake his hand. So. close. to. the. fire.

He grimaced and backed up more. "Not a smart move... being so close to that thing, you know? Apology accepted. No need to shake." He hurried over to the water where he had a bag under it filled with food that needed to be kept cold. He pulled it up and got out some meat. Then a metal rod with a wood handle and he stabbed the meat and carefully put it in the flames. Still cautious about them.

Anonymous

He seemed to take everything in stride – it was almost like he didn't even care about her slashing his face, and leaving a horrible cut on his features. She bit her lip, still feeling guilty about it, despite his reassurance that everything was fine. Still, to be so relaxed about such a thing, and to even claim that him seeing her naked was no big deal...! She was about to object to that, but after a short pause, he recognized that it kind of was a big deal, but promised he wouldn't tell anyone.  Lucy had to laugh at that – he seemed flustered, but it made his offer amusing to him.

"Do you promise?" she asked, and her eyes looked serious, despite her little laugh from before. "If anyone should find out that I exposed myself...! What will everyone back home think?" She shook her head while closing her eyes, embarrassed at the thought. Granted, she doubted he would tell anyone anyway – he didn't seem like the gossiping type. And thank goodness for that! She had a reputation to uphold, anyway, even if her people weren't around for her to be a role model for. The thought was a little depressing, so she pushed it to the back of her head, refusing to bring up such sad things.

The stranger accepted her apology, but refused to shake her hand, saying it wasn't a good idea to be close to that 'thing'. "What thing?" Lucy asked, before looking down at the fire, and realizing how close her arm was to the flames. "Oh, right, sorry! Well, as long as you forgive me. I mean, it's probably hard to believe, but I'm not always so, well...you know..." She looked for the right word, but could not find one appropriate enough to match how she had acted, so she let the sentence drop. The beggar princess instead watched as he roasted a slab of meat with a metal poker, and couldn't help but notice that he was acting strange again.

"Are you alright?" she asked, adjusting her crown again. "You seem... antsy..." She looked down at the flames, and then back to his face, and to the bandage she had wrapped around her fingers. "Hey, I can bandage your face for you, if you want. I mean, it's the least I can do, right?" She held her roll of bandages up, wanting to be useful.

Anonymous

And it was true. He really didn't care about a cut-- it was burns he didn't really like, and even those he was able to ignore in some time. But, he had a promise to enforce and he nodded. "Yeah. Don't worry about it. I really don't know too many people anyway, so the thought of me telling someone is a bit rare." He admitted.

Looking up to her, then to the bandages. "Well, if it makes you feel better you are welcome to bandage the cut." He didn't care either way, he was just gonna clean off the dried blood later when the cut closed.

But, then, he was found out. He sighed and grabbed a bottle that looked like it was filled with alcohol and poured some on the meat-- of course this caused the flames to rise and he singed his hand a bit-- he may not be good at the process of cooking, but his food was damn good.

"Aa.. Call it a fire-phobia? I'm water element. Fire worries me."

Anonymous

He seemed totally ambivalent to whether or not his cut was bandaged, but still, Lucy felt it was her duty to patch up the wrong she'd done to him, even if he didn't necessarily care. "It would make me feel better," she insisted, firm and determined. "I did that to you, after all." She pursued her lips, harrumphing to herself again. "Besides, it's not right to just let blood drip from your forehead! What if it gets into the food?"

In reality, Lucy didn't really care if it got into the food – she was so hungry that she could barely comprehend that she was hungry, by this point. She wasn't even sure why she felt the need to blurt things out necessarily – but that could be because she hadn't seen anyone around who she could talk to in quite some time. It was almost refreshing, to have company again.

Despite his indifference, she grinned a little to herself and sat herself adjacent to him, wrapping the bandage around her fingers. This time, since she had his permission now, she did not hesitate. Using one patch of the bandage to dab the blood away from his forehead, she used another patch to press firmly toward the cut, to stop the bleeding. It was a minor wound, and after a few seconds of pressure, the blood ceased. Biting her tongue in concentration, she bandaged his wound with two strips of the bandage, which formed a plus sign on the cut. She inched back, to admire her handiwork, nodding to herself.

"See, doesn't that feel better?" she asked, grinning. "I make a pretty good nurse, if I do say so myself!"

As he poured alcohol onto the cut of meat, he confessed about his phobia – his fear of fire. "Arsonphobia," Lucy corrected without thinking, without even realizing she knew the term for his fear. She tilted her head, curious. "You would think the fire would be afraid of you," she thought aloud, tapping a finger to her chin. "After all, you could put out fires at your whim, since you're, you know, of the water." She couldn't wrap her head around it. "Of the two, aren't you the stronger element?"

Anonymous

He looked up to her and just smirked. "You're hell bent on getting the cut bandaged. It's no big deal really." But he let her wipe it off and then bandage it. Reaching up to touch her work, then he nodded his head. "Thank you. I'll sleep easier now that you have bandaged me up." he joked. But he was sincere.

He looked to the food and poked it with a stick that was singed. Obviously he had it for that purpose. And he had gotten quite good at telling if the food was done as well. He stood up and grabbed two dinged up, but clean, metal plates and carefully got the meat off the fire and on one plate. Used a fork to peel off some food and placed it on her plate. Handing her the plate and food.

"Well.. in those terms, yes. My element is stronger. But, really.. it's still weak to fire. And I burn easily. And, being surrounded by fire elements kinda... makes you dislike fire when they use it against you. But, I've gotten better. It still bothers me though."

Anonymous

It was hard for Lucy to detect sarcasm, so when he claimed he'd sleep easier at night because of her, she clasped her hands together in joy. "Really?" she asked, swaying back and forth. "I'm glad to be of assistance!" Such a small statement was enough to put a little more pep in her already enthusiastic nature – it was amazing what a few words could do for her.

He went on to explain how despite his element being stronger, he was still weak to fire. Plus, he added, being surrounded by fire elements apparently made him hate fire, once it was used against him. This information was not processed well by Lucy, who only ended up more confused than before. "Wait, you were surrounded by fire elements?" she asked, tapping her chin again. "Oh, I know why – because, you're like, a legend, right? Oooh, so let me guess – you were the black sheep of the family, right?" Her imagination was wheeling now.

"A water phoenix, born amongst passionate flames!" She clasped her hands again, closing her eyes, lost in her own imaginative tales. "Tortured by their fervent fire, the young water phoenix fled his nest, looking for adventure, excitement, and a place to call his own~ Right? Did I get it right?" She looked expectantly at him – of course she had guessed right, Lucy had read more books than she had had ribbons on her dress – there was no way she was wrong!

Anonymous

"Um.... all my people are legends, to be honest. It's just when we started dying out, the blood line of the elements mixed in with the fire element, and the fire element is dominant. So it won out. There are still possibilities to get someone like me. But it's rare." He explained.

"But, your little story there is about right." He shrugged. It didn't matter to him. Water element or not, he just wanted to get away from that lava and stop living in such a small community. And the burns? He didn't miss them.

He reached out to pull some meat off and nibbled on it. Glancing up to her. "...Why are you wandering around by yourself if you're a princess?"

Anonymous

"Um... all of my people are legends, to be honest."

Ah, man, what a buzzkill! She had been so close to being one hundred percent correct, and he had just, so easily, crushed that tiny hope. Noticeably, she drooped, shaking her head. Oh well, cheer up, there's always next time! she coached herself, pushing away her disappointment. At least she had been a little right, right...?

Finally, he had asked what the question she had been both expecting and dreading. She adjusted her crown, attempting to look more important than she already portrayed herself to be. "It's a looong story," she started, as she always did. "But the gist of it is – some foul evil doers have sent me here, to this strange world, and I've been looking for a way back, ever since."

She watched him pull a piece of meat from the slab and nibble on it, but it was unladylike to eat while telling a story, so she resisted. "And, wouldn't you believe it – no one on this planet so far has bothered to help me out! I've been accused of being a mage by mage-hunters, left to fend for myself by unhelpful tavern-owners and untrustworthy knights... You wouldn't believe the nerve of some people!" She harrumphed, shaking her head in that dainty fashion of hers, so that her crown wouldn't fall off.

From her pack, she pulled out her trustworthy map, making sure it wouldn't catch a fire. "I was supposed to be heading here, to Connlaoth," she muttered, tracing the country with her finger. "But now, I'm just looking for the nearest town." She flopped the map on her lap, shaking her head. "It's been far too long since I had a bed to sleep in..."

Anonymous

He listened to her story, then looked to the map. "Well, you have an interesting story." He pointed to Draconi Forest on the map, but to a specific location by a creek. "We're here." He stated calmly. "You're a bit of a ways away, but it's not too hard of a walk to get there from here."

He nibbled on the meat again. "Hah.. a bed? Well.. I guess that's the luxury you ask for when you're used to it. But, I have a bed roll you can use for now." He shrugged. "I suppose I can take you to Connlaoth too. The forest is a bit dense in spots so it's easy to get lost."

Castien finally pointed to her plate. "You should eat though. While it's hot."

Anonymous

"Well, you have an interesting story."

Her face fell – she had a feeling he didn't find it interesting at all...

Granted, at least he knew where they were – somewhere in the Draconi Forest, he said, and even pointed to the map. Lucy committed her location to memory, and perked up a little when he confessed that it wouldn't be too long of a walk to Connlaoth. She grinned, her spirit instantly at ease. "What joyous news!" she cried, clasping her hands together. Soon, she would be in the country of scholars – the brave, the relentless Connlaoth!

For a moment, she was lost in her daydreams, and stopped her fantasizing only when he offered up a bedroll for her to sleep on. And – and here was the kicker, he even offered to take her to Connlaoth! "Oh, would you really?" she asked, her voice peppered with excitement. "You wouldn't find me too much of a burden, will you? I will do my best not to get in the way and cause trouble – I promise!" Her promises did not mean as much as his own promises did, that was true, but at the time, Lucy really did mean what she said!

Wordlessly, she took her plate, but couldn't contain her excitement enough to begin eating. "You have no idea what this means to me – really! On my travels, no one has ever bothered to..." She paused, remembering the sting she had felt when that blasted tavern owner deemed to busy to help her go anywhere, when the mage hunters had relented to help her, and even accused her of being a mage... She shook her head, pushing the memories away.

"You really are a gentleman!" she cried, and a tear glistened in her eye, because despite her childish behavior, she really was moved by his simple gesture. "Oh, and I don't even know your name, do I?" No no, that wouldn't do, she had to know the name of the brave gentleman who offered to help her! For good measure, she introduced herself, "I, Lucy Neste, princess of faraway lands, would be honored if you would tell me your name?"

Anonymous

Castien was stunned at her over joy at the fact that he not only knew how to read a map and where they were-- but he would take her to Connlaoth. He shook his head and got his plate of food, picking at it and taking small bites. As she ranted on about her excitement.

"You're easily pleased." He said softly, glancing at the fire, then over to her. It was nice to have company, but he started to wonder how much sleep he would get with her over excitement. Not only would he be perched on a rock that night, but he would probably be in phoenix form to make it more comfortable. Then again, if she forgot and saw him like that again... would she scream?

His eyes almost did loops in his head as the thoughts got him dizzy. But her realization brought him back to life and he paused. "Oh.. no, I don't think you do.." He let her introduce herself then nodded. "Well, Lucy. I'm Castien. Castien Talanthir."

Anonymous

Easily pleased? Was she, really?

She shook her head, not agreeing with his claim. "Easily pleased? No – well, maybe extraordinarily grateful is the correct term," she corrected, shaking her head. "It's not every day that someone is so kind to me, you know! Most people are so quick to ignore me and go about their business – it's a shame, really."

Lucy adjusted her crown atop her head, and then looked to her plate, full of food, which he had cooked up. Realizing that it would be rude to continue ignoring it for so long, she, as daintily as she could without forks or knives, plucked some meat off the bone and nibbled on it gratefully. Surprisingly enough, his food was spectacular! How had he managed to cook so fantastically, in front of nothing but an open fire?

Finally, he had introduced himself as Castien – Castien Talanthir. "Castien Talanthir," she echoed, and then nodded. "It's a pleasure!" She grinned, tilting her head to the side. "You have a very princely name, you know," she added, laughing a little. "Like the name of someone who lives in a castle, somewhere far off!" She looked at her meat, and bit her lip. "Do you like living out here in the wild, Castien?"

Anonymous

He watched how she ate for a moment, then grabbed his bag and rummaged through it. Soon handing her a fork and a knife. "Sorry. I barely use them so I forget some people like these things." He smirked.

At the 'princely name' comment he coughed a bit, then laughed. "Aa.. I wish. But I've always had this life. We're a very primitive people. We live in huts made of tall grass and mud and near an active volcano. Living out here is like being in a castle to me." He nodded.

"It's less.... hot. Less dreary. And I can meet new people and scare them like I did you." he chuckled. "I like it out here."

Anonymous

As Castien produced a knife and fork from his pack, Lucy accepted them gratefully, her eyes sparkling with delight. A knife, a fork – how she thought she'd never see such simple, yet useful tools again! "Thank you very much," she cried with delight, staring at them in awe before using them to cut into her meat. She had to laugh at herself, shaking her head. "Maybe I am easily pleased," she murmured, mostly to herself, but loud enough for the water phoenix to hear.

He then told her of his life here, out in the wild – that his people were primitive, that they always lived like this. He even said that being out here was like living in a castle, to him. "Really?" she asked, tilting her head, "Like a castle?" Her eyes widened, and she took a moment to look around her surroundings – at the trees, at the wildlife, at the stream... She had spent so long damning this forest that she hadn't even taken the time to smell the flowers.

"...I never noticed how charming this place can be," she admitted, daintily cutting at her meat and eating some more of her meal. Lucy pondered while she chewed, wondering how living out here with someone who actually knew what he was doing would be different from before. Maybe, now that she didn't have to worry about being lost out here forever, she could actually enjoy the scenery Draconi Forest had to offer.

She laughed at his next comment, about scaring people like her. "Like me?" she echoed, and pressed a hand to her chest, laughing. "Do you do this often, you rogue? Scaring poor defenseless girls out of their wits? You should be ashamed, really!"

But this time, unlike her former accusations of him being a rogue and a knave, she was obviously joking and having a bit of fun with him – she no longer thought ill of him, like she had before. He was unlike any other gentleman she had ever known, that was for sure, but for all intents and purposes, he was kind, underneath it all.

Anonymous

He just laughed. "I suppose I'll give you those.You'll need a little traveling kit anyway." He mentioned. Going in his bag and getting out this compact kit with a bowl, plate, and the spoon to the knife and fork she had. And he handed it to her. "Here."

He went back to eating. Grabbing his clear bottle and sipping the clear liquid from it. Setting it down and looking to her again. "Ashamed? Nope. Not in the least. A bit disappointed I ended up seeing you naked when I said I wouldn't. But, I suppose that makes us even." He shrugged. "I'm not a scary person. But I do like to mess with people."

Anonymous

He mentioned briefly how she would be able to keep the knife and fork, and again, Lucy couldn't help but grin. "Really? I can keep these?" she asked, looking gratefully at the utensils. No more eating food with her hands, yes! Granted, it was a little sad, but the only food she'd had to eat besides berries and dried meats was, well, Castien's cooking, really. She didn't have much need for utensils until she had met him.  Gratefully, she accepted his travelling kit, comprised of a bowl, plate, and spoon. "Thank you!" she cried again, and hugged the utensils to her chest, before setting it aside. "I'll make good use of them, promise!"

It was then that he confessed – no, he wasn't scary, but he did like messing with people. She furrowed her brows in that princess-esque way, shaking her head. "Messing with people," she began, using air quotes around the phrase, "is not an appropriate hobby, you know!" She harrumphed, shaking her head. "What do you for fun around here, besides rescuing and messing with damsels in distress?"

Lucy couldn't imagine that there was much to do around here, besides... well, what he had just described. The forest was pretty, yes, but really, where was the entertainment? The libraries, the galas, the people – where was the fun? As she pondered such entertainment, she continued poking at her meal – having a delicate stomach, she was quite full, really, but she wanted to make a bigger dent in the meal, so it didn't look like she was being picky or anything.

Anonymous

"You don't have to promise.. They're just utensils." He smirked.

"Aa.. well, aside of messing with the typical passer-by... Not much. When I get too bored, I just spend my days as a phoenix. Being an animal puts you in a different perspective. But, if not that... I swim.. A lot." he nodded, finishing his food and looking to her. He sipped his drink again and reached for her plate. "I'll finish that. I suppose I gave you too much."

He didn't mind, she was a bit.. dainty. So, he wouldn't take offense to it. "How late do you normally stay up? I can ready the bed for you."

Anonymous

Lucy shook her head, adamant. "Yes, but, all gifts are quite precious to me – it makes me feel better to promise." Especially considering that she was lost in the wild and definitely wasn't at her peak. She was used to charming gifts out of people, whether it be gold coins or pretty dresses, but she wasn't a very attractive person, out here in the wilds. He had seen her at her worst – dirty, downtrodden, desolate, and despite that, he had still helped her get back on her feet. They were just utensils, yes, but such a gift was quite important to her! Oh sheesh, he was right – she was too easily pleased...

So, he really didn't do much out here, did he? What a lonely life! She expected that he liked things that way, though – and he was right, maybe animals thought differently about such things, but from where Lucy Neste stood, it seemed quite the simple, uneventful way to live. Lost in thought about living out here, she almost didn't notice him take her plate. Oh, he had noticed how little she'd eaten! She tensed up, shaking her head. "I'm sorry – it was really, really good though! I'm just not used to such big portions..." Lucy twiddled her fingers, hoping he didn't think ill of her for wasting so much of his food.

How late did she stay up? What a strange question – although, he was right, it was kind of getting late. "Not very late," she admitted, rubbing an eye with the back of her hand. "Usually before the cicadas start chirping." She hated the awful noise they made, and noticed, woefully enough, that they just might start chirping any minute now. Lucy stood up, brushing the stray dirt off her dress. "A bed would be lovely, yes! Early to bed, early to rise..." She paused, not remembering the rest of the saying, and ended up just shaking her head. "Or, or something like that..."

She watched as he sipped drink from a clear bottle – he had been doing so for a while now, but she supposed it was just water, or something. "Are you sure you don't mind me taking your bed?" She looked around, curious. "Where will you sleep?"

Anonymous

He nodded. "Don't worry about it.. I suppose I eat more than I should, so I sometimes don't think about ..'normal' portions." He finished off her food easily, then set the plate aside to clean it in the morning.

"Hm... Well... I figured I'd sleep on the rock or something. Strange sleeping arrangements are oddly comfortable when you're a bird-- I can even sleep standing up." He chuckled a bit to himself and looked to her. "I'm sure the bed will do you more use than me." He nodded his head. "Don't try to pity yourself out of the gesture anyway-- I know you want to sleep in it. Don't be modest." he stood up and walked over to a pile of wood. Picking up some large logs to put in the fire so it would stay lit during the night and keep them warm.

Anonymous

He was planning to sleep... on a rock? Oh no, that didn't sound comfortable at all! Lucy feared she might bite her nails again, and was already thinking up excuses she could make, in order to let him sleep in his own bed – but Castien seemed to have read her mind.

The water phoenix was certain that the bed would do her more good than it would him, and while she doubted that, there was really no way she could argue against it. Here was another gentlemanly gesture – him offering his bed, while he slept up in a rock, or tree somewhere! Still, despite how badly she'd feel, she could not refuse his offer.

"Alright," Lucy agreed finally, crossing her arms over her chest and nodding. She was standing up now, clicking together her ivory white porcelain shoes. "It wouldn't be very ladylike for me to refuse your offer, would it?" Lucy clasped her hands behind her back, shaking her head. "If you don't mind, could you roll it out? I want to sleep before nature starts getting noisy..."

Ah, how bossy that sounded! But it was true; the outdoors was a symphony of soulless sound when it got too late. Grasshoppers, cicadas, nocturnal animals prowling around... She wasn't very tired, actually, more thirsty than tired, but she may as well try to get some sleep soon, right?