Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Major problems in the desert.

Started by Anonymous, June 12, 2011, 08:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Selene was travelling through the desert. She didn't know why. Unfortunately, it seems that decision would kill her, considering she had gone for days without seeing a single animal or body of water. She was hot, she was starving, and she was thirsty. Not a good combo in the desert. Every so often, she would look around and think she sees an animal or something, but then the dry wind blows and reveals it to only be a mirage. Unfortunately, Selene was at the breaking point.

The vixen, after travelling another day without water or food, shambled along in a slouching walk. She looked up for the first time in a few hours and stops. It was an oasis. An honest-to-God oasis. This sparked something in Selene's head and she started running for it. When she came to it, it was green, it had water, and it had shade. It was perfect. She sank to her knees in front of the water and started scooping it into her mouth. For a number of minutes she knelt there, drinking. Eventually, she rose and saw a couple lizards nearby, whom she promptly shot. After cleaning, gutting, and skinning the lizards, she made a small fire and cooked them, eating the bland meat happily. "For... Once. A good meal in a no-man's-land." She said, her voice cracking from lack of use.

She leaned against a tree and sighed. She really needed to bathe as well. She looked around, as if reassuring herself that there was nobody around for miles and slowly stripped. Once she was bare, she carefully arranged her clothing to hide her weapons and slipped into the water, sighing at the soothing cool liquid. It felt good after days of hot, dry travelling. She dove to the bottom of the oasis and merely swam, wanting the water to coat every inch of her. She came back up to the surface and treaded water as she began to stroke herself, making sure the water pierced her fur.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver hid from the sun in a small collection of plants gathered around the oasis, looking up at the sky resentfully. His clothes, thin white robes, plastered to his skin. It was not a very good day. He'd been dumped off in the middle of the desert by some people he had thought were friends, and now it was clear that they weren't. The only mercy they gave him, presumably because they felt sorry for him, was giving him a skin covering that kept sunburn away for the most part. He didn't need to use most of it, as he was covered mostly by his robes. His skin, albino, was quite susceptible to sunburn.

The good thing about today is that he had found this oasis. It was a miracle. It cheered him up. He looked up at the sky, a smile coming across his lips as his usual optimism returned. He had wings, white ones at that. He could fly out of here, that's what he would do. He looked at the water before him, the notion of bathing coming into his mind. He stripped, leaving his clothes next to the water and wading in. He walked through the somewhat shallow water. It felt good against his skin. He submerged himself under the water, going a distance, then coming out of the water quickly, water flying around him as he spread his large white wings outward, the sun's heat dulled by the cool water.

He suddenly became aware that there was a female figure before him, about 13 feet away. The only reason they hadn't seen each other before was because the waterway had a large, more circular part she was in and became a narrow waterway in another part, as he was in before. There had also been some rocks blocking them. He stretched, his wings still outstretched. He didn't seem to care whatsoever that the both of them were without clothing. He said, "Oh, fancy seeing someone else in this barren desert. Hello." It was said cheerfully, friendly.

Anonymous

Selene turned around and panicked slightly. "What the...?! How is someone else here?!" She blushed deeply and wrapped herself with her tail, using her arms to assist where her tail couldn't quite reach. Normally, she would be fine, but she normally wore clothes when meeting a man for the first time. Selene took a few deep breaths to calm herself. "Well, uh... Could you turn around while I get dressed, then? It just doesn't feel... right, at the moment." When she finished her request, she slowly started moving back, careful not to reveal anything yet.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver blinked in surprise as she became flustered, exclaiming and covering herself. He really didn't understand people and their kind very much. He wondered what sort of person she was. He had seen beings such as her before, but it confused him. She had a tail, along with what seemed to be fox ears. Then again, he figured he shouldn't judge. He had wings after all. He watched her, eyes not moving from her face. "I'm sorry I've made you uncomfortable. I suppose I should dress as well."

He didn't understand what was so embarrassing about it all. People wore clothing even though the sun was as hot as an oven. He wondered why they were so concerned with covering themselves that they occasionally risked overheating. However, he put that at the back of his mind. He waded out of the oasis and walked to where his clothes were, putting them on quickly and walking up to a rock that obstructed the pool the woman was in. "Are you done with the dressing yet? I'd like to ask you some things if you wouldn't mind."

Anonymous

Selene quickly dressed, including sliding the dagger into her bosom and quiver on her back. "Yes, I'm done." She sighed and leaned against a tree, folding her arms. "I don't mind if you ask questions, since I also have a few questions for you... Like who are you?" She was still dripping wet, but she knew the desert would help that in a hurry. Well... I'll admit, he's pretty cute. And he at least listened. Perhaps he can be a servant of sorts? she thought. She wrapped her tail around her legs, just wanting to feel a little comforted in the wasteland.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver emerged from behind the rock, standing at the edge of the oasis water. He leaned against the rock, as it wasn't burning hot due to a spot of shade on it. He studied her for a moment, curiously. A fox, and a woman. He wondered if she was cunning as all say foxes are. Perhaps, perhaps not. He gave her a closed mouthed smile, looking cheerful as was his default. He was dripping wet as well, his white hair clinging to the sides of his face. He said, "First, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you or embarrass you. I'm not very educated in the customs of people in this place." He brushed a wet strand of hair out of his face. "As for who I am, my name is Oliver. Who are you?" He offered a friendly smile, shifting the small pack of things he carried with him.

Anonymous

Selene smiled sweetly. "Well, I'm not from around here. I'm merely a traveller. I'm Selene." She sighed again and looked out towards the desert sands. "I've been travelling for days... This is the first oasis I've seen... I was actually kind of going out of my mind out here. The desert is... Manipulating." She giggled. "Well, I suppose the desert itself reminds me of someone." She turned back to Oliver. "So, Oliver... Why are you out here in the middle of a no-man's-land?" The vixen looked over the boy and she admitted to herself that he was really cute. Already, a plan was forming in her mind. If she could get him to come with her, not only could she have company while on the road, but she might also be able to practice seduction on him as well. It was a win-win for her.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver nodded, listening to what she had to say about the desert around them. So he'd been lucky, then. Perhaps the people that had dropped him off here had been more merciful than he thought. On the other hand, they probably dropped him off here without knowing this was here. The thought caused him to frown slightly. The sentence afterward had a meaning he supposed wasn't directed towards him, so he ignored it.

Manipulating. He supposed the desert was. Driving people to insanity to satisfy the most basic of their needs...indeed manipulating. The only things that survived were those who adapted to it, the desert snakes casting their uncaring gazes at parched travelers with perhaps a hint of schadenfreude.

Oliver moved himself from his thoughts to respond to her question. "I guess you could say I was dropped off here. Some people didn't have much use for me anymore and left me in the desert." He shrugged. "I guess it isn't too bad, though. At least they gave me something to protect me from the sun and let me carry the stuff with me." He shrugged. Oliver looked at her with a bit of a frown. "It's really too bad that you've had to travel like that, finding this oasis only by luck. I have wings, so traveling isn't that hard for me."

Anonymous

Selene gasped. "You just got left out here? Oh, you poor thing!" She thought for a moment. "Well, you could travel with me. You're someone that can help me out for sure, and I can help you out as well. Of course, if you want to travel with me, you won't be able to fly as often... and I'm sure that walking for you isn't quite as glamourous, but when we're in towns and cities we can live fairly high up in terms of society." She smiled sweetly. "So, what do you say? Want to travel with me?" Selene honestly hoped he would say yes, if only because she needed someone that could reach places she herself couldn't.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver thought about her request for a moment. Selene didn't seem like a bad person to him. She seemed a safe enough person. And perhaps they could help each other out...he nodded to himself. Seemed fine enough. He didn't have anywhere he needed to go, and they both needed someone to travel with. It would work out fine enough. He said, "Sure. We could help each other out of this place." He reached down, filling a container for water while he was talking. "I would like it if you didn't abandon me in some crazy place like they did though. I'm not saying I think you're a bad person, but we have just met after all."

Anonymous

Selene shook her head. "Don't worry... That's just plain cruel." She looked around and saw a couple more lizards appear out of the sand. "Well, we'll need food." She drew her bow and shot the lizards with two arrows fired at once. She retrieved her prizes and drew her dagger, quickly gutting and cleaning them. Her fire was still there, but it was dying quickly, so she quickly carved a spit and set up the meat inside the resulting smoke to make preserved meat. "Carrying a bow has its perks." She said, smirking slightly. She cleaned her dagger with sand before replacing it in its hiding place. After several minutes, the lizards were preserved and she slipped the meat into a pouch at her waist. She rose and scooped up a little more water to drink. "Well then... Shall we be off?" She looked around. "Admittedly, I'm not exactly sure where to go." The vixen looked to the sky. "There's supposed to be a city somewhere in the desert... But I don't know where it is in relation to here..." She sighed before an idea popped in her head. Turning to Oliver, she said, "Hey, do you think that if you flew high enough you could see a city?"

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver was satisfied by her answer. He watched in amazement as she shot the lizards with her arrows. Lizards! Those were fast little buggers. He figured she must have had a lot of practice with her bow. He didn't know how to use one very well himself, as he usually lived in the forest and relied more on trapping. He watched her in silence as she set the meat to be made. Though he didn't reply to her short statement regarding the bow, he agreed. It must be handy carrying one of those around. He was thinking about perhaps getting one himself some time when she spoke up as to where they would be going. He wasn't exactly sure where to go either. It seemed it was either sand, sand, or sand. When she suggested the idea of him flying to find a city, he shrugged. "That's how I found the oasis. That would be a great idea, actually." He looked up at the sun wearily. "But, how about we wait until it's a bit darker outside?"

Anonymous

"Hmm..." She considered the pros and cons of his suggestion. "Well, it would be smarter to find the city while there is still light. I suppose it would be best to travel at night though." She turned to the fire and sighed. "There's still about three hours of daylight left." She leaned against a tree and folded her arms again. "Can you at least fly up and find out which direction the city is? Then I can mark that direction and we head that way when it gets dark." It was foolproof. Both of them were satisfied in terms of food and water, so there was little chance of mirages causing problems.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver listened to her ideas. He knew it was cold at night in a desert, but that wouldn't be that much of a problem. After all the heat, it could be a pretty fine thing. He  nodded. "Alright. I'll go check it out." He swiftly flew away on his white wings, soon enough being out of her view.

He searched like a hawk for prey up in the sky, hoping he would find the city. It had been quite a while and he still hadn't spotted anything. As he was going back, he spotted a strange formation in the distance, flying towards it and soon realizing that it was the city he had been searching for. It was built near another oasis. He flew back to Selene, landing next to the fire. "It's over that way. It isn't too far." He pointed in its general direction before sitting down. His wings ached from all the flying of the day. He was glad to have found what he was looking for, though. He said, "Why did you come to the desert? Were you looking for something?"

Anonymous

Selene shrugged. "I honestly don't know. Unfortunately, this decision almost killed me." She marked the direction Oliver pointed and sighed again. "I miss the forest already." Suddenly, her jaws parted in a yawn. "Well... I haven't slept well for the past several days... Wake me at sundown, if you'd please." She said before curling up in the shade and closing her eyes. Her tail flicked gently as she began to dream about running through the forest again.

(REALLY short post...)

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver sighed, looking up into the vast and empty desert sky. There wasn't a cloud to be seen. He began to miss the forest as well, the emerald canopy of trees casting shadows on dimly lit paths, cool breezes, lakes and rivers. He missed the feeling of the wind without the sting of sand with it, the cool grass under his feet instead of burning hot sand. He didn't think there was anything to be liked about the desert.

Eventually, it came to his awareness that it was sundown. He spied the sunset and figured that was the only thing to be liked about the desert. Its fiery rays danced upon the oasis's water like a cut jewel. As the sun sank a bit more below the horizon, he shook Selene gently. "It's time to wake up, miss."

Anonymous

Selene yawned. With a small stretch, she got up and smiled. "Well... A nap certainly did some good." She giggled slightly. "Shall we be off, then? And this time actually go?" She giggled again and looked at her mark in the ground before heading that way. It shouldn't take long to reach the city, but strange things always happened in the desert. Always. She looked towards the horizon and wondered if there were lands beyond this one. Beyond the deserts and forests, beyond the mountains and beyond the sea. She shook her head, realizing she had stopped walking in her thoughts and started heading for the city again.

CastlesInTheSky

Oliver smiled and stood, looking toward the direction which she had marked. He said, "It would be best if we got going." As they headed in that direction, she stopped. He stopped as well, looking to see if something caught her eye. He saw nothing. He wondered if she was just lost in thought. Perhaps she was thinking of the same things he had been thinking earlier. They started off again, into the endless frozen ocean of dunes, mysterious and ever changing.