Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sky Pirates, Ahoy! (1) [Open]

Started by Anonymous, July 13, 2011, 01:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Flames. Warm, birth flames, caressing me. Sunlight. Nourishment. A mother's breast. Ahh. Breathe. You are born again. Flæm. Step free of your ashes. You have work to do. You must...

Flæm paused. She looked down. She was in her human form. Why was that? Oh, yes: Phonix had been hunted for their magical feathers since the dawn of time. It took her a while to remember that. Now what was it? Something she must do...her memory. It was flawed. Flæm scrunched up her fine-boned face. That was not right. Her memory should not be flawed. Her past lives's memories should be there. But they were not there. She sniffed the air. Yes, even the air smelled wrong. Something like this had happened before, she knew. It had to do with Fell's curse... was there a new outbreak? But, no. That had a different smell. Something was wrong with the worlds magic. Something she might have known of, once. Not anymore. Now, there was nothing but bits and pieces. Wisps of memories.

Shaking her head, long red hair flying, Flæm set off. I can't just sit here. I have a new life to start. And maybe I can find out what is going on while I am at it. she wondered through the trees, leaving the smouldering nest of spices behind. About an hour of this, she suddenly found a beach. It was a well hidden bay and in it lay a well hidden ship. Flæm approached cautiously. It seemed to be abandoned. Hm. It needed some work, but it was still seaworthy, as long as its condition was bettered soon.Or, skyworthy, Flæm thought, a seed of an idea growing in her mind like a spark grows into an intense, destructive blaze. She climbed up some netting and explored the ship. Yes, this might do. This might do nicely. Eagerly, she climbed back on the deck and leapt into the air. Her bones sang sweet melodies as she morphed into a bird whose feathers shone with a red light.I need a gnome!

She flew to the nearest village, searching with hawk-like eyes. No. She flew on to the next. Yes. Thhere seemed to be a gnome community there. They seemed to be having a gnomes' guild meeting or something, in the courtyard of their largest shop. Flæm flew down to meet them.

" Helo," she trilled, changing into her human form, aged 32 years. "I am looking for some skilled gnomes who think they can adjust a ship's rudders and steering for airbourne sailing." The gnomes all stared at her, wide -eyed and open jawed. "Yes, I know it might be a difficult request, but—" She was inturrupted by a gnome.

"Oh, no. That's easy. We've come up with the idea a long time ago, and perfected it. If you have the magic to fly it, we can do it. The thing is... you are naked, ma'am." Flæm looked down. Features that didn't show much were very prominent and noticeable in the ligh of the early afternoon sun.How could I forget clothing? Of all things for me to forget... A female gnome ran into the shop, and came out a few embarrassing moments later with a scarlet shirt and skirt that were much too short, and showed a copious amount of abdomen and leg. Flæm thanked her.

Reaching an agreement with the gnomes, she promised three of her feathers, (which could make 1 adult or two small children fly, among other things) in exchange for the modification of her ship. Using her "wing-giving" ability, as she inaccurately named it, she gave them the temporary ability to fly. It took them only a month to modify her ship, and they gave her some convuluted instructions for fixing it ( an explaination with a startling amount of "I thinks" and "maybe's" During that month, Flæm kept busy fixing the ship u, and giving it a good paint. She named it "Lightning", splashed in blue paint on an expensive scarlet backround. The gnomes didn't ask where she got the paint from, and she didn't tell them. She gave each of them one of the last phonix feathers in the world, and waved goodbye as they flew home.

She never told them her name. They already knew too much, but she might need them again. She stood at the helm, scarlet captain hat she had aquired strapped on her head, short skirt and shirt blowing in the wind, she brought up her power, sucking in massive amounts of sunlight. It was heavy at first. But as she exersized her power, the ship grew lighter as it lifted up in the air. She ran back and forth, adjusting the sails and such, and steering, heading inland. First order of business: Captain Flæm needed a crew.

CastlesInTheSky

Not terribly far away, there was a small town on the coast. Within it was a tavern, and within the tavern was a young man by the name of Zachariah who minding his own business, or at least until he managed to spill quite an amount of ale all over a both irritable and hulking man. Zach simply paused for a moment, his mind taking a moment to process what just had happened. To add to the situation, he had (unbeknownst to him, of course) been flirting with said man's date. Needless to say, conflict followed. The man rose up, scowling ferociously and stinking of alcohol. Zach, who didn't feel he could win a fight against him as easily as he would like, backed up, going for the door, only to be followed outside the tavern, where the two began to fight. Zach was getting tired quickly, as the man's fighting was just short of bestial. This continued for a little while, and he soon began to hope that there was someone else to help him out of the situation.

Anonymous

Yh Where should she look, was the question. Flæm stood on the deck, bare legs wide, arms crossed, long hair and short clothes flapping in the wind. She'd been flying for a while, and it was getting dark. She'd molted recently, and had a pile of feathers locked in a closet that would keep the ship afloat for a couple of days, if she needed it to. So, if she stopped for the night—

Lights. Up ahead. A town. Flæm felt torn. She needed new crew members, and she didn't mind people, but A LOT of people, like the many she'd find in a tavern or inn, made her uncomfortable. But, then again, they might have mead... she liked mead. It was decided. She would search the nearest tavern for potential pirates.

Flæm found a clearing not too far from the town, and dropped anchor. Dropping a rope ladder down, she swiftly climbed down it and marched through the forest into town. It was not hard to discover where the tavern was: the sound of drunken laughter, raucous voises yelling, "Fight! Fight!" And, of course, the sound of brawling. Following the sound, she came very suddenly upon the two fighters.

The larger man was a bear. He swung his arms at the younger, more nimble man, who dodged and ducked skillfully. Whenever he made a punch,  the man simply took it, loke a mountain takes a footstwp. The smaller man was quicker, smaller and more skilled, but the larger man had had pure brawn, and, when drunk, and when the smaller man really didn't want to hurt him, the larger man had the advantage.

Flæm thought it would be a good time to step in. She sped up, hopped lightly into the smaller man's shoulder, and rammed her elbow into the bear-man's neck. He dropped like a sack of rocks. She flipped off of the small man's shoulder, (she only weighed about 20 pounds, due to hollow bones) and landed on the bear-man's. Back. "He'll live. Now, sir, would you like a tankard of mead?"

CastlesInTheSky

((Your writing style is lovely.))

'What just happened...?'

That was the first thought that came to his mind after a woman he had never seen before just landed on his shoulder, somehow defeated the beastly man, and landed back gracefully on the ground. He had barely felt her weight on his shoulder, but the strangeness of that didn't occur to him at the moment, as he was rather overwhelmed at the moment. After the few seconds it took for him to process what just happened, he took his eyes off of the bear guy before staring at the woman before him incredulously. "You...what?" As he broke out of his trance, a smile flashed onto his face. "That sounds pretty damn good." He walked up to stand next to her. "May I ask your name so I can thank you properly?"

Anonymous

"I am Flæm, captain of the skyship Lightning. Pleased to meet you." Flæm bowed slightly, before adjusting her midlength shirt and short skirt. "Now, about that mead..." Flæm waltzed into the tavern. Some of the men jeered at her, but their more sober friends convinced them to go no further.

"Dontcha know? She beat Bosley! 'Es lying on the floor right now, 'ncou-counsciot- uh, knocked ou'."
"Kem 'ere, goile. Bosley's takin' a nap, but I'lls take cares of 'oo t'night."
"She said she's captain of a skyship! A flying ship! Can you believe it?"

Flæm ignored the whispers and shouting conversations. She made her way to the bar and, with a flick of her long hair, beckoned the smaller man closer. "So, what's your name?"

CastlesInTheSky

A what? A skyship? The idea of that completely went over his head. He figured he'd have to see it to understand it. There were some pretty weird things in this world, and he was learning more every day after leaving his small town and job as a blacksmith. He brightened visibly at her promise of mead, trotting after her into the tavern.

Zach didn't pay much mind to the men around them, both drunk and sober. He was so highly focused on the woman before him that he almost bumped a drunken man right off the stool he was sitting upon. Something was different about her than other people. Well, besides the flipping off of his shoulder deal. And being light as a feather.

As he sat down on a stool, he came closer to her as motioned to, then answered. "Call me Zach." He paused in his speech for a moment, then continued. "What brings you, skyship captain, to this humble coastal tavern?"

Anonymous

"A tankard of mead! Two!" Flæm turned to Zach. "Well, Zach. I am a pirate. A sky pirate. And I'm looking for a crew. I won't be a brutal, rape and burn kind of pirate, but I plan to use my sky advantage to me— and my crew's— personal advantage. Would you like to get in on that?" The mead arrived, and Flæm sipped at it, before moaning in pleasure. "Don't remember the last time I had mead." She tucked a strand of her long red hair behind an ear.

CastlesInTheSky

Zach listened to her carefully. The idea of a sky ship was still going over his head, but he thought of her as a perfect sky pirate. The colors of her hair looked as if they were a piece of the sun itself, forever windblown, like the feathers of a-

He squinted a little at her. Were those...feathers in her hair? He quickly scolded himself mentally for thinking something so stupid. People didn't have feathers. Feathers were on birds, and she clearly was not a bird.

"I suppose I could. It definitely sounds interesting." He smiled, sipping his drink as well. "Good you're getting some now, then. I'd go crazy if I couldn't get it at least once in a while." He pondered his joining the crew for a moment. "I suppose you would want someone with magic, yeah? Well, I've got something, and it isn't much." He shrugged.

Anonymous

Intruged, Flæm leaned foward. "Show me," she whispered. A magic user... would be great! A normal guy was good, okay. But someone with magic? That's what she would call useful. Particularly if it would help flying the ship. She eagerly listened for more.

CastlesInTheSky

Zach shifted in his seat, a thoughtful expression crossing his features. "Don't mind me for a sec, just trying to think of how I'll show you...well, let me take your hand for a moment." Without waiting for an answer, he took her hand rather gently, and suddenly his hand felt very hot. He made it hot enough so that it wasn't enough to be too hot, but just short of uncomfortable. "I can change the heat of myself to effect other things, such as your hand there. I can't make fire, bit I can metal red hot for instance, and inflict burns if I have to." He shrugged again. "It's not very fascinating."

Anonymous

"I find it fascinating..." Flæm murmered. "Heat... how funny. I think we'll go far together." She set her empty tankard on the bar and dropped a couple of coins there. "If you follow this main road, it ends at the forest. Follow the dirt road in the morning, and we'll set sail. Goodnight." Like a whirlwind, she came suddenly to stir things up. And, just as quickly, she was gone, a birdsong on the wind.

CastlesInTheSky

Zach wasn't sure what she meant, but it did make him very curious. Just as he was about to ask what she meant, he heard the coins hit the tabletop, and her begin to speak. He listened carefully to her directions. A goodbye barely left before she was gone. What a strange woman. After he finished his drink, he left as well, going to the place he was staying and falling asleep quickly.

That morning, the sound of people bustling around awoke him. He sat up, got ready, and headed off to find the mysterious ship. It took him a while to remember the exact path, so he was a bit late, but there nonetheless.

The ship was huge. He'd seen a fair amount of them before, but this one was a beauty. He had half expected it to have wings or something crazy like that. He stepped up to the ship, looking at it rather nervously. "Um, Hello? I came here like ya' said."

Anonymous

Flæm slept that night as a human. She was getting more and more comfortable with her human form, and she wasn't sure if that was a good thing. In the morning, she had everything readyto go, but the man was still not there. Where could he be? Was he drunk last night, and was lying in bed right now, hung over? Did she make a mistake?

Just as she was about to give up, she heard a voice from below. She leaned over the rail to see Zach. "Come on up. Here," she dropped down the rope ladder. "I was about to leave you. Did you eat yet? And, do you know anything about an imbalance in the world's magic?"

CastlesInTheSky

When he was presented the rope ladder, he promptly climbed it. "I got a bit lost." He smiled sheepishly, now standing on-deck. He was right. The sky ship was huge. He wondered how such a huge ship could fly like that. He quickly directed his attention to his new captain. "I ate something, yeah." He looked at her questioningly, then frowned a little. "There's Fell." He said it in a somewhat hushed tone. "That place has some pretty freaky magic going on."

Anonymous

Flæm frowned. "I knew about Fell... I think. Well, welcome to the skyship Lightning! We still need to find more crew members before we can really get going on our... enterprise, but, until then, enjoy your flight. Now, hoist the anchor, so we can go." Flæm marched up to the helm, summoning her powers. But then, she stopped. She should tell him. Now, before they left.

"Zachary..." Flæm turned to look at him over her shoulder. "You should know... I am not human. I am a phoenix, maybe the last of my kind. I control fire," she held her hand out, and a flame slowly blossomed above it. "I consume sunlight, (though I love the sweet taste of mead, as you know) and con make fire from it. I can also make things fly: that's how I am keeping this ship aireborne. My feathers can offer many gifts; among them, the gift of flight to the beholder. And, of course, I can change back into my bird form, or part of it.

"Now that I have that off of my chest, let's go!"

CastlesInTheSky

Zach had grinned and set off to do his first order on board when she had suddenly addressed him. He turned, waiting for her words. He had been half-listening due to his eagerness to see the ship flying until she said something he would have never expected to hear; she wasn't human. His full attention was set on her immediately, and he stared at her with a rather fascinated expression. A phoenix? Zach had no idea what that was, but he supposed it was a bird, considering she was talking about feathers.

There was a short silence, as he just stood there staring at her for a moment. He was about to say something as she said they should be off, and he went to go do his duty. He did as he was told, then walked over to Flæm. "I've never heard of a Phoenix before. So, you're a sort of...bird?" He looked a bit confused, but realized it would've explained why she was very light. He guessed birds must be very light to fly.

Anonymous

Flæm smiled, and with a song trilling through her bones, was a bird again. Her feathers shone red and orange incandescently as she watched Zach with an intelligent eye. Then she was back, clothes in place like they hadn't just disapeered. And with the anchor up, the ship began to rise. The movement of the ship was subtle; besides Flæm, anyone on the ship would not be immediately aware the ship was moving, untill they looked out over the edge or they hit turbulance.

CastlesInTheSky

Zach watched in fascination as she turned into a bird. Being a Serenian and having lived in Serendipity for all his life minus a short time in Adela, the magic itself isn't what was amazing to him. He'd never seen anything like her! The feathers on her were like flames, the light they reflected like sparks, and the shadow beneath her like ashes. As suddenly as she had became a bird, she became a human again. He followed her with his eyes, unable to find words to say as she walked away. Indeed, he had met an extraordinary person just now. She had pulled him out of the bonfire but he couldn't help but wonder if by deciding so quickly and easily to join her crew he had jumped into the cooking pot. But what is life without some moments of daringly sweeping one's hand through the flame, to come back unscathed with a grin and memories to last forever?

It took a slight bump in the ship's movement for him to snap out of his thoughts. He jogged over one of the ship's sides, looking over the edge. A grin appeared instantly. He'd never been this high in the air. Everything looked like a dollhouse below him. It made him feel like he was the creator, and as if he could reach down and shape the earth below him, sculpt mountains, dig out rivers and canyons, deserts and oceans.  He turned, shouting at Flæm. "This...is...brilliant!"

Anonymous

Flæm smirked as she turned the ship's wheel, heading west, inland. She knew the man probably never flew before. It must seem like a gift, to him! They headed out of the coastal area, to the woods beyond.

Anonymous