Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not all treasure is golden

Started by Anonymous, September 18, 2011, 05:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

There were few roads out in the Wester Highlands, and the few that were there were poorly maintained. The passes near the mountains were narrow and trecherous. Nellie had been left with their wagon near Arca. It had taken him more than a few days to make the long and dangerous trekk to the higher mountainous regions. There were caves, nooks, and crannies all over these mountains, and often magical relics and artifacts could be found. True to his dragon nature, he loved to hoard these things, and frequented these dangerous mountains to find his next treasure.

A black, thick, fur-lined cloak was wrapped around him, hiding his blue and silver armor, as well as his sword's ornimental hilt and scabbard. The hood was pulled up, mostly hidding his face. There was an occasional wind, and the air was chilly at this altitude. The steady clop-clop of his ebony war-charger's hooves could be heard against the stone outcrop as he slowly walked the stallion through the difficult paths. Occasionally he would reach up to stroke the great animal's face and speak in a soft, soothing tone in a language so ancient few alive still knew it.

Occasionally they would stop, Tatsu would close his eyes and feel the air. It was difficult to decipher the resonances he felt, there were so many in this place. Becoming disoriented and lost was easy, even for himself, though he knew the mountains well. Perhaps if he couldn't feel the beating pulse of the various artifacts hidding in the recesses it would be easier to navigate. Picking out just one and hunting it down was a tedious chore, but one that he couldn't stop himself from working at.

CastlesInTheSky

Adriana sat atop a steep hill and peered over the edge. Heights were her love, and the sky beckoned to her, but she knew she couldn't fly. The wings on her back would just beat feebly and there would be nothing to happen. It saddened her, but at the same time it didn't bother her as much as it would another. She still had her voice, and song was what she thrived on.

She briefly thought of what brought her here, to this cliff, to this place of mountains and roughness. Even before she had ran away from captivity, this place of artifacts and unknown had been mentioned. She had to fend for herself for survival, but if she found something brilliant, she thought perhaps, maybe, life would be sweeter. But she knew what she really looked for; her brother. She had heard him mention this place. Perhaps he would be here. Perhaps not.

She was torn from her thoughts by the clip-clop of a horse's hooves bouncing off of the hills. It surprised her to hear it. Who would be here? What were they looking for? She didn't know, but maybe they could help her. She hoped it wouldn't be like last time...she would be cautious.

Creeping up to the edges of the trees, she peered at the person she had heard. She became more relaxed once she'd seen that he was alone. And, she thought, if he were a slave-trader, he would not be in a place with no people, naturally. She watched him go past, holding her breath, and stepped out quietly from the trees. She wanted to say something, but her voice refused to work. What if the same thing happened as before? She became panicked as he kept going. What if he had seen her brother? She nervously fiddled with the shackle on her wrist and said, "S-Sir? Have you seen a man around here?" She took a step forward. "He'd have black hair like me, sir, looking tan and kind of unhappy all the time." She stayed a safe distance away, just in case.

Anonymous

Even before Adriana spoke, Tatsu had stopped. The stallion's eyes had rolled and the horse snorted and danced nervously. The beast could smell something unfamiliar on the air and it made him anxious. It had taken time just to get the animal accustomed to his dragon master's strange presence, he still showed signs of fright at other creatures, and even humans that he was not used to. It made the stallion a handful, but Tatsu dearly loved the beast and refused to trade him away for a calmer mount. He had pressed his face against the horse's neck, stroking the animal and speaking to him again in the strange language soothingly.

By then the girl had stepped out, revealing herself and speaking to him in a nervous voice. As the beast calmed, Tatsu stepped forward slightly, glacier eyes falling on the young woman in that intenely unnerving gaze that he sometimes possessed. Slowly he reached up and pushed his hood back, revealing his snow-white hair and somewhat grave features. His eyes flickered to the shackle on the girl's wrist, before looking back up at her face curiously. "I have seen no one for days, save yourself, child. I am sorry, I do not know who you seek."

His eyes were drawn back to the shackle. His lips became a thin line as he studied the device. Those icy eyes moved over the rest of her, taking in her tattered dress and moving back to the shackle once more. Reaching up he unclasped his cloak, pulling it off his shoulder and revealing his armor, but that wasn't what was important, he held the garment up to her, the thing would engulf the tiny girl, but she wasn't outfitted proper to be up in these mountains. "Light, child, please, you must be cold. Come here and let me see about getting that nasty thing off your wrist."

All trace of cold or ice had left his eyes, and his usually hard expression had melted into something much softer. This girl was in trouble, and his mind flashed to his daughter, Nellie, and how she had come to be with him. He couldn't just leave the poor thing like this.

CastlesInTheSky

Adriana stood on her toes, as if ready to bolt like a rabbit at the slightest change. The shoes covering her feet were worn and too big for her. She watched him carefully, taking in every detail. He was very tall and serious, it seemed. She couldn't help but wonder what manner of person he was when he took off his cloak and revealed the armor below. She studied him for a moment as he held out his coat. Why was he so willing to help her? She glanced at her clothes, wondering if she looked like she just escaped from slavery. She supposed so as she eyed her tattered dress for a moment. "Sir, you might as well keep your cloak. If you give it to me, then you'll be cold." She glanced at the shackle on her wrist. "Don't bother yourself with me, sir. You must have more important things to do than help me." She didn't appear to be as eager to run now. She looked at him in a rather confused way, as if she wasn't used to people being concerned about her.

Anonymous

Tatsu frowned as she told him to keep his cloak. What did it matter if he was cold or not? His comfort was less important to him than hers. It might have seemed strange, but it was true. Sighing softly, he took a step closer, still holding the cloak up to her. "Please, my honor would fail me if I let a lady freeze over my own comfort. Besides, I think I am in better shape against the cold than you are right now."

Her tattered dress could have simply marked her as a poor person, but the shackle marked her as a slave. Obviously she had escaped somehow. She looked so very fragile, even for a human, and that was saying something! "I can think of nothing better to do with my time than assist someone in need. That slave bracelet of yours marks you. Please, I could not see you leave with that thing still around your wrist and still keep a clean consceince."

CastlesInTheSky

Adriana hesitated for a moment, but the cold surrounding her begged her to take the coat. She reached her hand out tentatively, taking the coat from him carefully. She soon realized that it was heavier than she thought at first, due to its size and material. Putting it in both hands, she swept it on. It dragged some, and she was rather engulfed by it. Her face seemed so small, peeking out from the hood. It made her look very small, smaller than she was even. She produced a small sneeze when a bit of fur got too close to her nose. She looked up at him, having to turn her neck at a slightly awkward angle. "So, you'd get this off my wrist, huh?" She frowned a little. "You'd really do that?" Her left arm reached out from the large cloak. "Here, you can try."

Anonymous

Tatsu relaxed slightly as she agreed to take the heavy piece of clothing. She did look terribly small wrapped up in his cloak. It was gigantic on the tiny, frail girl. Her small sneeze brought a slight smile to his lips. His treasure hunting had been completely forgotten as she offered him her shackled wrist. Slowly he stepped forward and ran his fingers along the bracelet. He felt no resonation from it.

Since the object was obviously not magical in nature he simply moved his fingers to the clasp, and with a swift tug the clasp broke and fell into his hands. For a moment he looked at the broken trinket, turning it over in his grasp before glancing out over the outcropping. Bouncing it once in his palm thoughtfully he turned and chucked it down the mountain as far as he could.

"There, that particular device won't be doing anyone any harm ever again." He turned back to the girl, looking her up and down, trying to decide what to do with her now. He couldn't just leave her up here like this. She didn't appear to have anything with her, no food, no supplies, nothing. After a moment he pressed his right hand over his heart and bowed deeply to her. "Tatsu Drake, at your service, my lady."

CastlesInTheSky

She watched him carefully. She was losing her fear of him, becoming more relaxed. She supposed he really did have good intentions if he was taking off the shackle on her wrist rather than adding new ones. And, as she had thought earlier, he didn't seem like any sort of slave dealer.

Her eyes widened as he easily broke the device barring her from freedom. It seemed so easy to him. She remembered her brother struggling to remove his. It frightened her somewhat. Though he was doing something good for her, she couldn't help but think what would happen if he was against her instead. She suppressed a shiver. However, when he threw it over the cliff, she found herself slightly calmer.

She nodded at his statement for the shackle. She felt so free now. She looked a bit confused at his formalities, not used to manners in general. Her brother certainly didn't teach her any. Anything she said that was polite was due to years as a servant. "Um, I'm...Adriana. Nice to meet you, sir." She bowed her head. "Is there anything you want from me? I mean, you just helped me so much..."

Anonymous

Tatsu hadn't really thought about the show of strength in breaking the shackle. It hadn't taken much effort on his part, but he supposed a human would have found what he'd just done next to impossible. Her wide eyes suggested that she thought it quite a feat herself. Ah well, he never did claim to be human, and wouldn't outright lie if asked. Hopefully she wouldn't become to frightened of him now.

His expression became confused as she asked him if he wanted anything from her. Straightening his posture once more he looked down at her perplexed. "Want anything from you? My dear lady, I say you've probably had more than your share of people wanting things from you. Please, it may seem strange to you, but I wish only to help you."

Tatsu was a creature of honor, and his word was his bond. He found lying difficult, if not impossible. The girl had every right and reason to be wary of a stranger offering assistance. He could only imagine what she'd been through in her young life. How long had she been a slave, he wondered? "Miss Adriana, if you don't mind my asking, but...what are you planning to do? You have escaped, but do you have any idea of what you will do now to stay free? I would hate to find that you were captured again." There was genuine concern in his voice and expression.

CastlesInTheSky

Adriana was just as confused about his honorable nature as he was confused about her expecting something to pay. She looked up at him, a perplexed expression on her face as well. It seemed the both of them were doing a wonderful job of confusing each other. She spent a moment tossing the idea around in her head that he really just only wanted to help her without anything in return. Nothing. The idea that someone was kind enough to do that without some form of payment was quite strange to her.

She stared blankly at him for a moment, collecting her thoughts. Honestly, she didn't really know. All she had wanted to do was to come to these mountains in hope of finding her brother. She said, "Well...I...don't really know. I just was going to do something...I don't know." She had been in another's care for her whole life. She only knew how to fend for herself in some manners and not others. She could get food herself, by honest or dishonest means, and other necessities, but being truly on her own was a foreign idea to her. "What should I do?"

Anonymous

A soft frown came to Tatsu's lips when she said she didn't know what to do, and then went as far as to ask him what she should do. Obviously she was not a freshly made slave. This girl was so used to doing what she was told that even free she was asking someone else what she should be doing! Sighing he rubbed his temples, thinking. What to do, what to do...

"Well, for starters, I think you need some better clothes. What you're wearing isn't near warm enough, and your dress is tattered and worn out." He was trying to think of what else he could do, but she didn't seem like she'd last long on the loose, whether he clothed her and put a few coins in her pocket or not. He sighed again. "You know what, I'm a traveling merchant. I deal in antiquities. Why don't you come work for me for a little while and I'll do what I can to get you on your feet, as it were."

CastlesInTheSky

She gazed at him, wondering why a frown had came to his face. Had she done something wrong? The next, more rational thought that came to her mind was that he was probably just considering what to do next. She shifted from foot to foot.

"Okay, sir." She looked up at him, craning her neck. "I don't want to stay too long, though, I don't want to bother you, sir." Part of the true reason behind that was that she didn't want to take any chances, especially with what happened last time.

Anonymous

Tatsu smiled slightl when she agreed to work for him, at least for a little while. Shaking his head slightly he sighed. "You wouldn't be bothering me at all, I assure you. As for how long you stay..." He hesitated. How long would she stay? How long did he really want her to stay? That question was answered easily enough in his own head. He would be happy to help her for as long as she needed it. It was just in his nature.

"...Well, Miss Adriana, I have to say that I would like very much for you to stay as long as you like. However, I would ask that you at least stay long enough that I can help you find this young man you're searching for. I'd hate to think of you all on your own. It is a dangerous, and often lonely, world."

CastlesInTheSky

Adriana smiled a little as well, in spite of the fact she was trying not to. Though it was simply her nature, she didn't like becoming attached to others quickly. She was too quick to trust, and that trait had already given her the back of its hand. This seemed like a kindhearted man, but how was she to know, truly? The fact that she could run away from him at any time if need be pleased her, but her paranoia remained.

"Thank you very much, sir. I will probably stop bothering you once I'm done with finding my brother. He'll take care of me."

Anonymous

Tatsu shook his head slightly with a patient smile. Such a sweet, innocent thing the girl was, how had she come to be free? More importantly, who could be so cruel and cold-hearted as to enslave the poor girl? Humans! He would never understand them.

"You won't be a bother at all. I think I will very much enjoy the company, really. As for finding your brother...Do you have any idea of where he might be? It will be easier to help you find him if I know where to be looking." He wondered how long it would take to find her brother. He supposed that would all depend on how good of an idea Adriana knew of where to look for him, and their means of transportation.

CastlesInTheSky

Adriana remembered the reason why she was here. "Those are nice things to say, sir. And about my brother, he mentioned this mountain, this very one, a few times. He wanted to find something here." She looked at the trees, tired of holding her head at such an angle to stare up at her companion. "He'll be alone, probably."

Anonymous

Tatsu thought about it several moments. If her brother was possibly here then she wouldn't need him for very long at all, if they could find him quickly. Not that he didn't enjoy her company or wanted to be rid of her, but he did want to find her brother as quickly as possible. He hated to think that the family was broken.

"Well if he's likely to be on this mountain then we'll get started right away in looking for him. I would like to reunite you with your sibling as soon as I can. Families belong together." Well, finding him quickly would mean flying. Turning back to his stallion he led the horse to the trees that were nearby and loosely tied the horse off. "

Satisfied with his work, he stepped back and looked over to Adriana. He wasn't sure just how she would take to him in his true form. "I'm going to show you my true self now...please do not be alarmed, I swear that you will come to no harm." Tatsu lightly closed his eyes, breathing deeply as he gathered the power needed to transform himself.

A light seemed to burn within him, exploding out brightly as it consumed him and expanded. A huge form emerged, standing ten feet at the shoulder, but stretching massively in length, with shining blue and silver scales and feathery blue fur. The light fluttered and died away as the transformation completed and he looked down at Adriana curiously, judging her reaction.

CastlesInTheSky

Adriana was about to ask him what he meant, having just met the man, she had no idea what to expect. And she was most definitely not expecting a dragon. In a bright flash of light, her companion turned into a magnificent being. It was as if every scale was a fallen piece of the sky, fitted neatly into place upon his serpentine body, and the fur like waves torn from the ocean, now adorning his back. Every tooth was ivory, every claw onyx. She could only stare. She felt like she was being confronted by a deity.

She blinked, unable to move, taking in this new, strange, yet beautiful form. She took a small, shy step towards him. "You're beautiful." She reached up towards him tentatively, standing on her tip, toes and gently touching the scales near his neck. She couldn't even think about other things at the moment.

Anonymous

Tatsu watched her as she seemed to be in awe of him. He supposed that he did look fairly impressive to human eyes. Still, he couldn't help but chuckled as she reached up to touch him, commenting that he was beautiful. The sound was a deep rumbling, she would be able to feel it against her hand.

His long neck twisted and he brought his head down near her, bright, brilliant azure eye regarding her and sparkling with amusement. "Thank you for the compliment, little Adriana." He lowered himself the the ground and nudged her gently with his nose. "Now, climb on and hold on tight. We will find your brother more quickly if I carry you this way."

CastlesInTheSky

His laughter was like a small earthquake within him. Adriana smiled some again.

She looked into his eye, which was a colour unlike anything on the rest of the earth. "You're welcome, sir." It seemed strange to her to be having such a casual talk with a dragon. Perhaps this is what really happened in the legends she heard as a child, instead of great adventures; casual chats with dragons. The thought of her serving him tea in his dragon form was almost enough to make her chuckle.

"Alright...but how do I know you won't drop me?" She climbed on carefully, worried about falling. But, she'd do anything to find her brother. Even climb atop a dragon she just met.