Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Run, Assassin, Run! (open)

Started by Lion, November 04, 2011, 05:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Guardsmen.  They were the Officers of the Law, Keepers of the Peace, to Protect and Serve, the bringers of justice to the wronged and punishers of the wicked.  Vandryn was normally quite indifferent to them in any other case.  In this instance, however, they were just in the way, a nuisance that made it their job to prevent him from doing his job.  He may have been a criminal, but even people on the wrong side of the law still had to eat.  Vandryn eyed the guardsmen that patrolled the city streets, their armor glinting in the afternoon light.

Vandryn frowned as he waited in the shade of the tavern balcony.  It was a middle-class section of the city, more or less populated by people who had better things to do than worry about petty thieves.  Not that Vandryn would ever stoop so low.  There were few treasures actually worth his time.  And yet...there were other things worth so much more.

He lips twitched with a faint smile, one of satisfaction, and his hand reached into the fold of his tunic and subtly pulled out a small parchment scroll with a wax seal as of yet unbroken.  He might not have been a thief of valuables such as jewelry, gems, weapons, intoxicants, or the like, but he learned early on the stealing and trade of information could be just as lucrative, if not more so, than anything of tangible material wealth.  He was told to steal one item, a scroll just like the one in his possession, by his employer.  Vandryn did not know what kind of information the scroll contained, but it was enough to make his employer pay enough to receive it as soon as possible, on the condition that the seal remained unbroken.  They must have been desperate to pay such a high price in order to get the scroll; almost made him want to open it up himself to see what it contained.

Vandryn's grin faded when he looked over the balcony again to the guard patrols.  They were on the look-out for someone his size and stature, and with his clothing description.  It wasn't exactly clear, but enough to possibly put him away for a long time if caught.  And he knew that he didn't have much time when he could get out of the city before they blocked all possible exits.  He pulled out the shining blade of a dagger he kept at his breast and stared at the reflection of his disguise.  It was quickly made, and potentially horrifying at a quick glance, but Vandryn was accustomed to thinking on his feet and pasting rough patches of leather to various parts of his face, and painting over them in one even skin-tone might actually fool a passing guard into thinking he was nothing but a street leper.  He threw his hood on and another cloth over his head and wrapped it around the lower half of his face.  Another glance below and it looked like the guards were thickening.

This was the time, if any at all, and he slipped out from the side of the balcony that led down to an empty alleyway.  He lowered himself with care and landed behind a series of crates with the light tap of his shoes on stone.  When he saw the way was clear, he secured the cloth over his face and began walking briskly out of the alley and down the street.  So far so good, he thought...almost too soon.  He added in a cough and kept his face lowered to the ground.  Another guard passed him by and didn't even look back.  He glanced back and quickly turned forward again.  But as he turned his face collided into the shoulder of another guard.

"Gah, nasty leper, get out of here!" she snapped, shoving him away.

"Oh...so sorry...I did not mean to..." Vandryn said with a heaving rasp and continued on his way.  But something did feel strange on his face. The guard looked down at her shoulder and noticed paint on her pauldron and strips of rough leather stuck to it.  He glanced back and his eyes locked with hers for an eternity of a second.  The disguise was peeled away, revealing a good portion of his face underneath....  The second did not last long before she cried out for more guards to give chase.

And in that instant Vandryn flew on his feet.  He dashed down the street and rubbed off the face paint with the cloth as he ran, no use in keeping it now.  Every muscle in his body moved to power his escape.  Sometimes there wasn't always a chance for a clean getaway, but he would do whatever it took to get the job done, even at the cost of a few incessant guards.  He could have stopped to fight them, to take them on, one against all, but he was no fool and knew he'd be quickly outnumbered.  Vandryn quickly made his way down a tight turn, pursued by a passel of guards more than he cared to count.  The faster he made his getaway the better!

But the street was getting far too cluttered, and Vandryn snarled as he ran.  As he rounded a corner, he nearly paused for a second at the increased number of people, vendors, carts, and stands in the way.  Damn the gods!  Yet the way back was cut off....the only way out, was the way through.  He darted off again, not wanting to give his pursuers a second closer to him if he could help it. Interweaving between people, where he could Vandryn sought to use the clutter to his advantage, what slowed him down would slow them down, surely!  Yet a quick glance backwards told him the people parted easily for the armored Lawkeepers.  This was not happening!  Vandryn grit his teeth and turned back ahead, quickly noticing a cart moving in front of him.  In an instant, he bounded upward, onto the stock in the back.  He stood there for only a moment, scouting out another place to jump.

The guards drew ever closer and sand was drifting dangerously out of the hour glass.  The cart moved and he leapt for the corrugated roof of a nearby vendor's stand.  A series of lean-tos hung over the many stands across from him and served as a suitable bridge over the riffraff in the street.  Vandryn put distance between them then and kept his eyes in front, right where they belonged.  The street was getting much narrower, enough for him to bound from one side right to the other and back again.  As he kept his eyes focused forward, he soon noticed the path took an abrupt dead end.  His heart was pounding in his chest, an engine telling him to think fast or give up any hope of escape!  Suddenly his eye caught lines of ropes interconnected to hold up some scaffolding on the side of the street.

Flashing metal came out from the sheath at his chest as he cut the rope when he came close it.  The line snapped and zipped through pinholes and pullys he watched with some satisfaction as the scaffolding came loose and began to waver from the side of the building.  He dashed for it and jammed his foot against its side.  The whole thing came crashing down, smashing or crushing whatever was in its way.  The guards were caught up in the commotion, amid cries of panic and rising dust and flying splinters.

Vandryn concealed himself in the dust and vaulted up from the remaining portion of the scaffolding that remained, aiming for a balcony above him.  He grabbed the bottom of it and lifted himself up carefully, and threw his legs over the railing.  The double-doors were locked and he crashed his foot through a glass pane in it's side and put his hand through it, unlocking the door and gently pushing it open.  He cast one more glance at the guardsmen that had been pursuing him, drawn up in the confusion, trying to help civilians caught in the broken wood and he grinned again in satisfaction.

As he turned back he found a weapon drawn at him, it's wielder as of yet unknown and caught in the shade of the room.  "Hold it right there," it said.  Vandryn just paused while the point was at his chest and he just stared at the weapon.

"Why is it every time I turn my back for a second, something bad happens?" Vandryn asked in irritation, keeping his eyes on the weapon.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"Maybe you should stop turning your back to people that might kill you, hmm?" Ceria said before pouting at the intruder. "And what am I going to say to my employer about the door you just broke?" She pressed the point of her short sword into his chest ever so slightly and started rocking the blade back and forth. "If I present your head as an excuse, do you think I'll be let off the hook?"

Truthfully, she was bored. Her employer that had hired her had insisted - nay demanded - that she get to this town a good week in advance of her target and failed to provide anything to entertain her! At least it seemed like fate was willing to make up for it. Polishing her blades had ceased to occupy her hours ago.

She continued in as sweet of a voice as she could. "Or maybe you could give me a reason not to skewer you. Blood is such a nuisance to clean up after."

Lion

"You can tell them to install better locks," he snapped, glancing up at the woman with narrow irritated eyes.  "Or iron doors for that matter."

He kept his eyes on the gleam of that blade and only took his lava-red eyes off it to study her face.  She seemed disinterested, and only now had something more intriguing to occupy her time with.  He was in no mood to talk things out and it was only a matter of time before the guards wised up and started searching the area for his presence.

Vandryn was quick in movement as he was with his tongue and pulled out his own sword, smashing her steel to the side and disappearing from the balcony and into the room.  He pulled out the other sword as well and wielded both against her.  "Drop your weapon and we'll forget this ever happened.  I'm just passing through, get it?  Good.  Now drop it!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"But where would be the fun in that?" Ceria smiled before glancing at the lower half of her body. "I suppose I should, though. Fighting in skirts is always more trouble than it's worth." She tossed her sword aside before giving the man a too-sweet grin. "I pray you'll be careful while you're here; I may not be the only tenant." She was the only one there, of course, except maybe for a servant or two but best to let the intruder worry.

"I'll get the door for you since you probably don't trust little, old, defenseless me at your back." As she walked up to the door, Ceria visibly bumped the door with her foot. She was banking on him thinking it was some sort of signal but, then again, the guy didn't look too bright. Maybe it was just The Ugly.

She opened the door and held it for him, letting one arm hang free. "Here you go. Go vanish into the world." She minutely shifted the free hand back and forth as she said that, making sure her wrist blade was ready. He was going to have a mark to remember her by whether he wanted it or not.

Lion

Vandryn's heart was beating like a ticking time bomb.  Though he had incredible self-control, he knew he was running out of time. Already the commotion in the streets was beginning to settle and he knew that was a bad sign.  And furthermore he didn't trust the words of this strange, meddling old woman.  She looked like a crone if she was one to talk.

Vandryn stalked around her getting closer to the door.  He flashed his own swords at her.  "Try anything and I'll gut you like a fish.  Now get down there.  You're coming with me. Move.  Now."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Of course. The one day she decided to wear a skirt would be the one to have her kidnapped. Since her now captor looked to be keeping his swords fixed on her, she couldn't do much more than comply. Ceria swore that, when she got out of this, she'd burn all her skirts and never buy another again.

With a scowl, she turned through the doorway. "Do you have a particular destination in mind or are you just going to poke me with a sword when you want me to turn?" Being smart to the guy with swords at her back probably wasn't the best of ideas but the Fae was too upset at the situation she found herself in to care much. She glanced over her shoulder. "You know, I was only going to nick you on your way out. I promise it would have only stung some."

Lion

Vandryn didn't understand why she would decide to wear a skirt on a day like today for though the sun was out, the air was crisper and sharper than he was used to.  But weather never bothered him much and though that draft in the balcony double-doors certainly set things to a shiver, Vandryn kept his eyes on the woman, sharp eyes.

"I'll be sure to stab you quickly in the back when you lead me to the fastest way out of here...that doesn't go down into the street...  You don't look like a woman who's had her hands clean for very long if you get my meaning.  Get me out of the city and I promise you a reward.  A large one, if gold strikes your fancy.  Savvy?"  Maybe he sounded a little to pirate-esque, but there was no time to argue semantics.  He had to get out of here.

"Now show me the way out," he  demanded, poking her sharply in the shoulder.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn