Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Playing Games

Started by miss_sanguine, November 11, 2011, 06:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss_sanguine

Hesitancy prevented him from moving forward very quickly. His feet didn't want to move anymore. He didn't know what dog meat smelled like, nor goat brains, but the only thing he could smell at the moment was lamb broth, among other more familiar yet no less appetizing scents. He'd catch it before too long, he was sure. Knowing the smell of dog alone, dog meat probably smelled ten times worse.

The mention of money snapped him out of his stupor somewhat. He glanced at Zephaniah and gave a half-hearted smile. "Are you sure you want to spend money on . . . this? We could go to another town. Maybe find some nice roasted chicken?" Even while he was saying this he was pulling his money pouch out of the inner pocket of his shirt, the motion slow and as hesitant as his steps.

Tally

Yes, he was sure.  Zephan was quite sure he wanted to spend Monnayage's money here.  If he had any of his own, he'd probably spend that too.

"Chicken?!  Oh my...oh."  He affected a stricken look.  "Don't tell me you haven't heard?  Chicken pneumonia.  This whole region.  Wiped out every bird in a hundred mile radius."

A rooster had to choose that moment to crow.  "Uh...see?  That is the sound of a dying animal if ever I heard one.  It's a sore subject, we shouldn't talk about it.  Wouldn't want to upset anyone, would we?"

Gods, but he was having to go to a lot of effort for this meal!  It was almost like work!  He helped Monnyage's hand along in offering the money pouch to the priest at the table.  "Well met!  We've come to honor the gods and praise their bounty!  He's paying."

miss_sanguine

His lips thinned. Chicken pneumonia, huh? Yeah. Too bad Zephaniah didn't know that Monnayage happened to be an expert when it came to birds, and he knew for a fact that there was no such thing as chicken pneumonia. And had that been a rooster crowing just now?

Yeah. Thought so.

But he could play games, too. Years with Kabeyage as an older brother had taught him the tools of that trade.

Feigning a look of concern, he allowed Zephan to guide his hand to one of the priests, dropping the entire pouch onto the table. "Yes. We've come to pay tribute, and fill our empty stomachs with your . . . fine food." He smiled at the priest. There was more gold in the pouch he'd just offered than any citizen in this entire town would ever have.

Tally

Zephan stared at the pouch, then back at  Monnayage.  The pouch again, then Monnayage.  "You're giving it all to them?"

How torn he was.  On the one hand, damn that was a lot of coin.  His heart broke to see the priest accept it with exuberant gratuities.  But on the other hand, if Monnayage could toss about whole pouchfuls of coin with nary a worry, then he must have so much more than that at his disposal.  Which made him Zephan's new best friend.

"Your generosity!  It fills me near to bursting with the warmth of charity!  Here, let me get your bowl for you.  No, no, take your ease, I'll see to everything."  Then, quieter, "What did you say you do again?"

miss_sanguine

The look on Zephan's face was priceless, a dog-like expression of both awe and disappointment that made Monnayage want to laugh. But, no. That wouldn't do. He couldn't laugh when getting the man back for his little charade. So, to avoid spoiling his game, he looked away from the man's amusing face and stared at his pouch as it disappeared from view.

"Was I not supposed to give all of my money to them?" he asked. But Zephan was already off on another tangent. "I never told you what I do, so I can't exactly tell you again." Here he gave a concealing smile. "And I'd prefer I didn't say what it was just yet. Best keep that a secret. Ah! Thank you so much for the bowl."

Even the tableware in the town was dingy. Was it ever washed? He sniffed it tentatively.

Tally

Zephan laughed, a little shrill.  That was more money than he'd ever seen in one place.  Too bad he wasn't the thieving sort.  Didn't have the nerves for it, and he had more success talking folk out of their coin than he ever would filching it.  "Didn't you?  I could have sworn you did.  Funny that!"

He set down the bowls with a flourish and tucked in.  "You did fine to give it.  They could use it, I'm sure.  Wait, you didn't give it all away did you?"

Charity was godly, but only within reason!  Having a fellow around he could talk into buying him food would just be so convenient.