Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Storms bring strange loyalties

Started by Anonymous, November 12, 2011, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

There was a hint of a smile bubbling on Mon's features, and Reks hoped to god that he wasn't laughing at him. It was a serious question, damnit! The tips of his ears twitched again, and he crossed his arms over his chest, shaking his head. It was good to know, at the very least, that Mon hadn't turned anyone into a cat... and for some reason, Reks trusted that he was telling the truth. He didn't seem like the type of mage that went around zapping people, but, one could never be sure nowadays. Better safe than sorry.

At Mon's question, Reks toyed with the tip of his ear, looking left and right, not really sure how to start. "Uh...yeah. Me. Kind of." His sentences were mere fragments, words chopped up, just like his memories of the islands — they were mere pieces that swam in his head now, a history that he did not want to look back on, or ever recall. "A while back, a witch put a curse on me that's supposed to eventually turn me into a cat— ah, panther — when I get angry. The ears are the result of me being pissed off one too many times."

He let his hands drop to his sides. Somehow, he had relayed the information so unceremoniously, as if he had been discussing the weather, or talking about the soup of the day. It was the first time anyone had bothered to ask about the curse, and it was the first time he had ever admitted to someone that he was broken. He took a deep breath, teetering on the edge of saying more, wondering if Mon even cared about this sort of thing, or whether he should just shut up, stop talking.

Something possessed him to roll up the sleeves of his cloak — sleeves which were a little longer than necessary, which hid the tattoos that decorated his arms. They were intricate, done up in black ink, swirling and twisting up towards his elbows. "As a joke, she branded me with these, too. They put me in a constant state of pain — makes it easier for me to get angry, which is—" He paused to laugh — at the situation, at himself, "all the time, pretty much."

Except now, for whatever reason.

"I guess— I just don't have the best history with mages."

Understatement of the century, Reks. He rolled his sleeves back down, hiding the tattoos, and was tempted to pull his hood back over his head — to hide the curse, hide the shame that came with it. He wasn't sure how it happened — how he put himself out there, made himself vulnerable to this guy, Monnayage, but it had, somehow. He could only hope that he wasn't coming across as whiny. Reks, the delinquent, the mercenary — the last thing he needed to be perceived was as a brat.

miss_sanguine

"You?" Monnayage stared. He looked Reks up and down once more, seeing him in a whole new light. Was he telling him that he was a cat?

But he wasn't. Monnayage could see that. Could smell that. He of all people knew what a cat smelled--

The mage blinked his blue eyes, head tilting at a curious angle, much like a cat's. A curse. So he'd been serious. That would explain the strange magical smell on him that made Monnayage's nose itch.

Interesting.

Now his new friend had all of his attention. Monnayage was a very inquisitive creature, and he could not overlook this piece of information. What an unusual curse. What an exceptionally intriguing bit of news!

"So . . ." He looked to the ground, head still cocked. "Say I were to . . . poke you with a stick over and over again. You might sprout a tail?" At this a wicked grin spread across his face, the thought far too amusing. He would have done it, too, if he hadn't developed such a liking for this guy, who clearly would not appreciate such an act.

To shake off what he'd said and show it'd been nothing more than a joke, he quickly added, "And I guess she didn't expect a flaw showing up first thing in her plan." The ears. Reks might have looked to them as a plague on his person, but Monnayage saw clear benefit in them. It almost made him laugh. The first things to show up from the curse and they just happened to be something that could halt it!

And then Reks lifted his sleeves and all Monnayage could do was stare some more. There was the terrible desire to go up and touch them--who wouldn't want to? They traveled to his elbow in an elaborate pattern that the finger could trace.

He held back, though, which surprised even himself.

"Sorry to hear that, friend," he said, putting his head back at a normal angle. "For both your pain and your bad luck with mages. But!" He cheered. "She was only one mage. We're not all like that. If you haven't noticed, I happen to be a very friendly, kind, respectful, handsome--"

<Do spare us the dishonest recitation,> Maneki said in some amusement, still sitting on Reks' foot.

"Charming mage," he finished with a flourish. "If," he added with a glance at his cat, "also not a bit annoying and full of himself. But that just makes me all the more lovable, no?"