Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Tick, tock, goes the clock...

Started by Haze, December 21, 2011, 10:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haze

Asahrai looked down at him with a pained look in her eye. "I didn't think you wanted me around." She said simply. She didn't understand the feeling of rejection that hung over her like a dark cloud. Or rather, she did, but it was unexpected, and certainly not called for.

Seeing the look in his big eyes though, she sat down heavily. "I'm sorry," she sighed, "it's been a long time, and I feel this... drive to be with someone at all times. Have you ever had that?" She inclined her head, and continued on talking in her usual way of not waiting for answers to her questions.

"It's like I'm always looking for someone, and each time I find someone to travel with someone, I hope that its the person that'll let me be free." Her eyes turned distant, and her hand slipped into her pocket again, fingers stroking longingly along the smooth, cool, metal of the timepiece. "S-sorry," she mumbled, watching the sky. "I didn't mean to dump that on you."

miss_sanguine

Iktomi made a noise as though sneezing. "I said no such thing," he said. "I only said I did not feel like traveling with you. That doesn't mean I wish you to leave my company right away."

His tail waved through the air a few times when she sat herself back down. He sat himself next to her, listening as she drabbled on in her usual manner, her words making more sense this time around. "Indeed I do know what it's like to feel the need to be with someone. It's part of what I am."

Absent-mindedly scratching at his left ear with his front paw, he asked, "Have you tried breaking the timepiece?" He wasn't oblivious to what her hand was doing in her pocket.

Haze

She felt a shroud of acceptance fall around her shoulders. Finally, here was someone who understood her. And why shouldn't he. He was another immortal. He knew what it was like to be bound to earth in an inexplicable way. Although, she thought that for herself it was somewhat different.

She stretched out her free hand and scratched at his ear, copying his own motions, and she gave him a little grin. "Sorry, I can't help myself. Despite how you may look at it... you are just so very cute like this.

"And yes," she carried on, dropping her hand into her lap, and extricating the watch. "I've tried jumping on it, throwing it, setting it on fire.... anything. But it just..." She gave a shrug, letting her hair fall into her eyes, and held it out to him to see, "I've had it as long as I can remember. Its like it's linked to me through something I can't remember." Her voice suddenly took on a much older tone, and she spoke slowly. "The hands haven't moved from ten to twelve in hundreds of years. But it keeps on ticking. It's quite cruel, really.

"It is a constant reminder that I am never changing. Stuck in time. I know there's a reason, but I don't know what it is."

miss_sanguine

Disgruntled by another sign of human affection shown only to those of cute animals, but nonetheless finding the feeling of his ear being scratched enjoyable, Iktomi let out a low grumble of resignation and lowered his head. Past human companions had been eager to do the same thing to him, but those actions had been wholly permissible due to his bond with them.

She was lucky, he noted, touching him like this. Usually those that touched him without his permission were lost in the ancient memories caught up in his fur--or whatever animal covering he had at the time.

"I can arrange it so that I'm not so cute," he commented, and in an instant he sat there as the ragged wolf from earlier. In this form he could feel the skin of his body pressing tight over his protruding ribs. He bared beyond-yellow fangs in a smile.

Haze

Asahrai couldn't begin to understand the risks she was taking being in such physical contact with him, but the danger seemed to pass her over.

She blinked in surprise as he shifted form again, but this time she was not afraid of the yellowed eyed beast. Giving a little giggle, and lifting an eyebrow she opened her mouth to speak, her youthful tones once again tinkling from her throat. "You don't scare me anymore, Iktomi." She grinned up at him, "what's so wrong with being cute, anyway? It's always got me far."

miss_sanguine

Such a strange human--if that's really what she was. He didn't really know. One minute acting like a child, the next one beyond her mortal appearance, and then back to a child again. It left him feeling disconcerted, a feeling he didn't enjoy all that much. Beings were supposed to be one thing, not two. It didn't add up with the natural order of things. Else one of the behaviors was an act.

"There's nothing wrong with being cute. It helps at times." He nodded his black head. "But at the moment I have no need to take on a cute appearance."

He glanced back at the forest, once again growing bored.

Haze

The girl nodded agreeably. Cute did come in handy. It was much better than a morose and cynical being, like she could so easily be. "Why don't you need to be cute? We can be cute together!"

Asahrai gave a little sigh, seeing him look towards the forest. For all he said they were just starting to talk, she couldn't help but get the feeling he'd rather be elsewhere. "Do you want to go somewhere?" Her expression was curious, with pursed lips, "you keep looking to the forest. Is there something there that you want to look at? I could come with you, or I could stay here. I don't mind."

miss_sanguine

Iktomi continued to stare off into the nearby woods, his attention brought to the fact that something seemed to be amiss. While moments ago there had been the scurrying noises of wild animals and the chirping of forest birds, now everything was completely still and silent. It seemed as though even the wind no longer existed, the leaves of the trees as lifeless as rocks.

"No," he finally said, voice trailing off as if still in the process of observing and speaking were an effort, it being too difficult to pull his attention away from what he was focusing on. "There's nothing to look at. Which is the problem. Where did everything go?" He sniffed tentatively at the air, nose held high, but he could smell nothing but grass and dirt and other normal things.

Haze

She hadn't noticed a thing. Which wasn't unusual for her. She was an observer of people, and not so much of her surroundings. Hence the reason she'd been so startled when Iktomi had originally made his presence known. So now, with his announcement that something was wrong, she tilted her head to the side, trying to put a finger on the eerie quiet.

"You're right," she said softly, as if by speaking she might cause a great calamity. She watched his sniffing, and mimicked him, as if her nose was just as powerful, but she too, couldn't find anything wrong. "It isn't normal, is it? Do you think we should check it out?"

miss_sanguine

Iktomi did not answer, eyes fixed hard on the surrounding wood, ears pointed forward to pick up any noise he could. But there was no noise. Nothing at all. And that was what made it so strange. No sound of a wriggling, crawling bug, no whisper of air from a living thing. Even the trees seemed to be holding their breaths.

Then the fur from his neck all the way to the tip of his tail stood on end. He made as if to sneeze, hoping the movement would cause the uncomfortable feeling to cease, but it didn't work. Someone, or something, was looking right at him. He could feel eyes on him, fondling him up and down, violating him.

But where was the source? He could see nothing. Smell nothing. No matter how quickly his eyes darted around, rested on every possible spot the stranger could be, there was nothing to be found.

He grinned, letting out little yips from his throat. Whomever it was, he wasn't afraid. Maybe debased by the unseen force, but no. Not afraid.

"Might as well show yourself. I know you're there," he said, thumping his tail on the ground and forcing his fur down.

Haze

For all her many thousands of years, Asahrai was uncertain of this new, unseen threat. Her eyes darted about nervously, in a strange matching of Iktomi's. She didn't understand his grinning, and felt herself edge closer to him, pressed herself against the wolf, and a hand tucking into the fur there. A type of security blanket.

Bravery was not her forte, and she never tried to claim that it was. Her heart beat was pounding so hard in her chest she thought it might burst through, and her one hand that wasn't tucked into Iktomi's fur was clenched into her skirt, trying to dispel the slippers sweat that had sprung up.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Asahrai whispered to Iktomi, eyes relaying her paranoia. "What if it wants to ... eat us?"

miss_sanguine

Laughter echoed around them. It seemed to come from everywhere, Iktomi being unable to pinpoint an exact location for the source.

"My dear," the voice said amid the still reverberating chuckles, young in tone but aged in the way it spoke. "I've no desire for human flesh. Too tough and chewy. Now," a man emerged from the air to Iktomi's left, and the wolf turned calmly toward him. "Blood, on the other hand," the stranger licked the tip of his pale index finger, "is always optional. I'd not turn it down." Now in the open, the intruder's voice no longer echoed.

Iktomi felt like he should know this being, but the memory was lost him. It was like trying to remember a distant dream: the harder he tried to grasp it, the further it danced away from him.

The man--or at least he looked human in appearance; his demonic-like scent told the mischief spirit otherwise--stood at a good 5'6". His features were almost feminine, styled hair pale as snow, as though drained of color, curling at the ends by his shoulders and framing his face. To aid in his dainty appearance, he had a slim build, though through Iktomi's trained eyes the wolf could see he boasted a lot of magical talent. Bright blue eyes, like starfire, gazed out of unnaturally pale skin, the pupils slitted like a cat's. There was a gleam of mad apathy in them.

"It's a good thing the girl's here, then," Iktomi finally said after getting a full look at the stranger. "I'm a mangy, starving, disease-ridden wolf. My blood wouldn't taste very good."

"Hm, yes. It would appear so. But do not think me rude for saying that it isn't one of your best works, Iktomi."

Ah. So he did know this person. Or at least the person knew him. He continued to grin his wolfish grin, though.

"Why, don't tell me you've forgotten who I am?" The man feigned a look of hurt, black lips puckering a little. "It has only been, what, some few thousand years? Though last I saw you, you were with a young mortal boy."

"I'm afraid I have forgotten," Iktomi said. His eyes passed over the stranger's garb, a white material so tight and matching his skin it was as if he wore nothing at all, though there were black jagged black patterns snaking along the left side. "Good to know that I am so memorable to others, though. Even after thousands of years."

In all truth, his lack of recognition made sense now. Being an immortal creature, it become necessary to shed his memories every so often, which he did in a secluded, hidden area known only to him. He must have met this person back before his last shedding. "Is there something you wanted, man-of-tight-white-clothes? Or can I call you Tighty Whitey?"

"Ah, Iktomi. Always with the deriding witticisms." A strand of white hair was flicked carelessly out of the man's face by a pale hand. "As I've told you before, my name is Kabaliwan. And I am here," he put a hand to his chin and stared at Iktomi, smiling impishly, "to settle a debt that you owe me. I've been searching for you for many, many years, but you've eluded me until now. Quite the slippery little spirit, aren't you?" He flourished his arm outward, sweeping the air in front of him. "But here you are, finally."

"Yes. Here I am. Good job in finding me. What exactly is this boon you speak of?"

"You and your pesky forgetfulness." Kabaliwan's eyes traveled over to Asahrai, glinting. "New partner?"

Haze

Asahrai jumped with the laughter. It was cold and not at all like what laughter should have been. It dipped into her being, reminding her of another laugh, once, a long time ago, that she could neither place nor remember wholly. This ... thing ... though, was creeping her out to the highest effect. His crooning, patronizing way of talking to her made her want to cross her arms and poke out her tongue at him; his words turned her stomach in revulsion. She wasn't going to be anyone's dinner. Or after dinner drink, either.

She thought Iktomi might defend her, but his flippant response about her being here to satiate the man's thirst made her scowl. It was clear however, that the man knew Iktomi, and Asahrai watched with guarded curiosity as the conversation continued in a little parries and jabs. She snorted at the name the wolf gave him, and for a moment her fear was forgotten. It reminded her of the names she herself had bestowed on him when they'd first met.

Kabaliwan, as he announced himself, was here for something though. He had searched Iktomi out, and Asahrai felt a little protective flame flicker in her. She didn't know what to say, or if she should say anything at all, but Kabaliwan's gaze went to her and she felt herself squaring her shoulders and letting her grip in Iktomi's hair go. With hands balled into little fists, she met the other's others dead on, her own hard and unrelenting.

"I am not. And you a disturbing my afternoon. Go away."

miss_sanguine

From wolf to Iberian lynx, Iktomi started to lick at his paws as if he had not a care in the world. His tufted ears twitched forward as the strange, pale man spoke.

"Not? Pity. That might have given me some restraint." There was the sound of rushing wind and Kabaliwan suddenly stood behind Asahrai, his hands placed tenderly on her shoulders as he leaned in toward her ear to say, "I don't just go away when mortals tell me to. Even pretty mortals like yourself." Iktomi heard the man take a deep breath, as if trying to inhale the girl's very skin, and then he let it out in a rush of verbal ecstasy. "But my, don't you smell lovely. Your blood must be as sweet as honey."

Another noise like wind blowing through the leaves of trees and the man sat beside Iktomi, who looked up from his paw at him. He was unimpressed so far with the actions of this stranger. No wonder he had left memories of him behind.

"You may not remember the deal we made the day I saved you and one of your companions," the man said. Soon his arms were draped over Iktomi's furry shoulders. "But I do. And I'm here to gather what you owe me. Let's not go into what I want, yet. There's no fun in that. Let's make a game out of it. I know how you like your games."

And indeed, Kabaliwan finally had his attention. So. The man knew how to pull at the strings of his attention. "You smell like the blood of dying men," he said calmly. "And your touch is as cold as a corpse. What sort of game would one such as you have to keep my interest? I do not dally in the works of a murderer."

"Ah!" The man started laughing. "You tickle me, as always, Iktomi. Yes." Kabaliwan stood. "This will be fun."

Haze

The change of form stunned Asharai for a moment. It would take some time to get used to having a friend who could change form upon a whim. But she didn't have time to focus on that. A whistling sound rushed past her ear. The hands on her shoulders shot her forward in surprise, but her feet were glued - that voice in her air rooted her to the ground. A thinly veiled shiver of repugnance sent goose bumps down her arms, and her hands clenched into her skirt.

She opened her mouth to reply to his taunting, but all that came out was a strangled squawk lost in the sound of his movement again. To Iktomi she whispered, "Why does everyone assume I am mortal? Just because I look like a child?" With that, a cool steel entered those dark blue eyes, and she moved herself swiftly to stand in front of Kabaliwan.

"You know a game I like?" Asahrai said, trying to encourage some flippancy into her voice, "hide and seek. You hide... and we forget to seek you. We'll give you a head start." With that, she called on her magic. Magic she didn't like using. Feeling it gather and pool within her, she aimed it towards Kabaliwan, square in the chest. It was the largest amount of power she'd drawn in some time, greater than the force she'd used earlier to knock Iktomi from his feet, and she aimed it squarely at the bad man's chest.

miss_sanguine

Iktomi sensed the change in Asahrai almost immediately. Funny how he hadn't recognized it before when he'd charged at her, but then again he'd been preoccupied with his game and she hadn't used this much for on him.

The air seemed to tighten around her, a palpable force he could feel along his fur as if his surroundings had turned into a living, breathing thing. One black ear twitched from the feel of it as he stared at her with his green eyes. Interesting.

The lazy hold Kabaliwan had on his shoulder tensed a little as the man smirked, a barely audible chuckle escaping him. Just when the invisible force should have hit the man, he vanished again, only to reappear behind Asahrai, standing with his arms folded.

Iktomi had moved at the same instance Kabaliwan had disappeared, his lithe paws sending him a little to the side to avoid the backlash of the move as it hit the ground with a low wunf!

Little he knew about Asahrai, but he knew enough to know that he liked her to a degree and would not enjoy seeing her get harmed. It had been a foolish move on her part to try and attack a foe she knew little about. While he retained his semblance of calm, once again sitting on his haunches, he kept his eyes glued onto his adversary in case he tried anything that might case serious harm to the girl.

"A feisty one!" Kabaliwan said, head cocked. A wicked smile graced his lips and he reached out with his hand at the air, a small, white blade appearing, which he grabbed. "Now that you've shown me yours, it's only fair that I show you mine."

It surprised Iktomi to see the man take the knife and put it to, not Asahrai's skin, but his own. With his arm outstretched, he pressed the blade to it and sliced it across his thin clothing and pale skin. But, instead of a cut appearing, instead of blood welling up when it should have, the blade merely glowed bright.

Despite himself, Iktomi cocked his head to the side in confusion. A sense of unease came over him, though he did not know why.

Haze

Pain. Searing, burning. It bolted through her mind with ferocity, forcing the breath from her body. It flashed in white hot brightness across her eyes. Skin opened on her arm, and she looked down in shock to see blood blooming and flowing easily from the deep slash appearing on her arm. "Stop!" She screamed, dropping to her knees, before Kabaliwan. Covering the wound with her other hand, she bowed her head, keeping her arm close to her body, as if that in itself could stop the pain. It didn't.

It was amplified by the fear in her heart. While she knew that she herself had the ability to inflict excruciating pain on others, she had never met someone who could make something manifest like this. Struggling to free herself from the pain, instinct kicked in. While she was in no way a sadistic creature, self preservation screamed at her to use her more formidable power. She turned her hand over to see it bright red, and with a rush of adrenalin, formed the image of Kabaliwan in her mind.

She forced her magic out, even as it sickened her stomach. If it worked, the evil one would be bent over, nerves wracked with burning, as if his very bones were disintegrating from the inside. He'd feel as if his chest was crushing down, weak at the knees, head filling with his own screams, while he couldn't scream aloud. It was a long shot, given the way in which he had dodged her previous attack. But this time, there was nothing physical to indicate what she was doing. "Leave me alone!" She screamed, in one final push, allowing the magic to spread and flow behind her, engulfing the man the best she could.

miss_sanguine

This was not what he'd been expecting--though in all honesty Iktomi had not started with any expectations. All he knew was that Asahrai suddenly knelt on the grass, crying out in pain. The smell of blood spilled from her arm which her hand had come to grip with an iron fierceness.

And then Kabaliwan gave a cry of pained exhilaration and bent forward, knife falling to the grass. It was hard to tell if he were in so much pain that it made him laugh, or he laughed so hard that he was in pain. Either way, the noise was unnatural, making the fur along Iktomi's spine rise. Even the trees seemed to rustle under the sound as it echoed through them.

"Excellent!" the man cried. After another raucous cry of delight he stood straight and snapped his fingers, all traces of his ever having been in any distress gone, an invisible force emanating from his body like a shield and pushing away all outside influences. "Such raw power in such a small person."

He turned to Iktomi, and the spirit noticed the glint in the others eyes was brighter than before. "I do enjoy a good mortal feel of agony. But enough of that. It is time for our game. It would seem your mortal companion has submitted herself as player. The more the merrier. It will make things more interesting."

Iktomi purred. There was no alternative. If he denied the man his fun, no doubt more harm would come to Asahrai. She was an innocent in this and did not deserve to be used as a pawn.

"And what are the terms?" he asked.

"Terms! Terms!" Kabaliwan threw his arms up in the air, his long hair billowing around them. "There are no terms in this sort of game. Just a rule. Only one! And that is that you cannot quit once you've started."

"All right."

"And you." Kabaliwan looked to Asahrai. "My succulent crumb, will join him. But, first thing's first." He turned back to Iktomi. "Go find your precious stash of memories. Find me in them. This might all make more sense once you have. In the mean time! I'll be waiting for you. No need to look for me. I'll show up when the time has come."

And with that, the man vanished, bringing with him the eerie silence. The wind returned, the trees started to breathe again.

"Well," Iktomi said. "That was interesting. Oh, yes. Almost forgot. Are you all right?"

Haze

She knew better than to be stunned by the way Kabaliwan pushed her attack aside, even if it had taken him by surprise. She felt very, very ill. Never in all her hundreds of years had she called on that much magic. Her entire body trembled with the effort. That, and the pain in her arm were doing well to render her breathless and she doubled over herself limply, still clutching her arm close to her.

The delight Kabaliwan took in the revelation of her power only frustrated her more. She said nothing as the man outlined his game, trying to quell the nauseating pain radiating throughout her tiny frame. It wasn't until Iktomi spoke that she raised flat eyes, revealing a face streaked with tears. She lifted the hand from her bleeding arm, and held the slick, bloodied palm to her new game partner.

"I'm ... bleeding..." Her voice was scarcely above a whisper, belying the shock she was in. Her vision narrowed and swam, until Iktomi's form was nothing but a blur. Things began to tunnel, and a prickly cold feeling washed over her. Trying to break from the onset of a faint, she slowed her breathing. Or tried to. In the panic rising in her chest, her breaths became quick and shallow. "Iktomi-" With that one last uttered word, she fell forward into the ground, her wounded arm sprawling out in front of her, cheek pressed into the dirt, and still.

miss_sanguine

The smell of blood was strong, its bitter metal tang burning the back of his nose and throat, making him sneeze. Asahrai had a sickly odor, a blend of raw fear and weakness. He looked at the bloodied palm she held out to him, then to her. "Yes," he said. "I can see tha--"

She slipped to the ground with barely a noise, the last word on her lips being his name. What she'd been about to say was lost in her throat.

Iktomi stared, bewildered. It had happened so quickly, so unexpectedly. Had using her powers really drained her so much?

"Hm." Now he was a white-tailed buck, head bobbing up and down in thought. "This makes things a bit more difficult."

Walking to her side, he snuffled at her clothes, nose pressing directly into them. When he finished, he pulled back with a loud snort.

Out cold. Literally. Her skin looked clammy, the warmth her body should have been producing dimmed. The wound on her arm was deep, looking as though someone had taken a knife to it and slashed it down to the bone.

An interesting power he had, that Kabaliwan. Lucky for the girl, it seemed the man had only been showing off his powers. Not a lot of blood had been lost as of yet, her faint caused by other things.

Shifting over to a ruffed lemur, Iktomi used his sharp teeth to gnaw a hole in the girl's blouse. Surely she wouldn't mind if she knew his reasons. From there he put a black finger through the hole and pulled, the material ripping easily. When he had a decent strip torn, he busied himself with her arm, wrapping it tightly.

Once finished, he pulled back to study his handiwork, nodded, and grinned. Responsibility over, he could go back to what he liked to do best.

Soon a big, brown grizzly stood over the girl, breathing down the back of her neck with his warm breath. He put his big wet nose to her cheek, breathing out on this also, snuffling growls heard from deep in his chest, before he rolled her onto her back with his big paw, careful not to catch her with one of his claws.

"Asahrai," he said. "Time to wake up."