Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thievery All Around

Started by Juno, December 27, 2011, 04:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

His gaze flickered to her outstretched hand as she lifted herself, which had him leaning forward to accomodate her before climbing the rest of the way back up entirely to kneel beside her. "'What now'? It takes a lot to know a person, hm? I think we should get to work." That blasted, shimmering hair of hers caught so perfectly in the low light even as the sun outside was rising higher into the sky.

Reaching out one of his own hands, he winced at the strange pleasure he got from running his fingers through it. There was something mystical about it, for sure, but he just couldn't place it for the life of him. For now, though, he was completely content in indulging himself and being entirely enraptured by her.

stelmarisa

"Well, I think you're right," she settled into a more comfortable position. She was unable to conceal a pleased smirk as he played with her hair, leaning forwards so that he could reach more of the glittering strands. Her eyes closed ever so briefly, enjoying the attention, until she remembered that there was work to be done, and a bet to be won.

"So, the questioning starts." She met his eyes, her yellow ones dancing in anticipation of their game. "You may start."

Juno

The way he craved some sense of connection with her was almost inhuman. In fact, he was beginning to think that it was, he delighted in it so much already. Meeting her gaze, a wry smile was there upon hearing her words as he settled in beside her. "Me? Really? My, you're so generous today... Alright, then, what is it the Melite do, Dina? Besides being absolutely, stunning gorgeous, I'm afraid I hardly know a thing."

stelmarisa

"What we do?" She was caught somewhat off guard by this question, so seemingly innocuous. She sat up, playing with her hair as she thought. Was there a way to answer without giving him too much information? After all, it wouldn't do to help him too much, so early in the game. She smiled, her mind plotting away constantly.

"Well... we find things, and we collect things. We make our own fun, and we practice our talents," she answered, aiming at ambiguity.

Juno

"'Things'? What sort of things?" he pressed. "And what sort of talents?" So long as he could get away with it, everything was fair game in his book. This was the tip of the iceberg, just the beginning of this test, their games and mental tug-of-war. He didn't really know Ondina yet, at least not in great detail thus far. Lucien was already quite conceited in his thinking, though, and he was fairly certain he was going to find some way to get whatever information he wanted out of this.

stelmarisa

"Anything we want," a smirk played over Dina's lips as she toyed with Lucien. "Some people like collecting some things... others like collecting other things. I had a friend who collected sea snails," she mused, smiling fondly as she remembered. "But I... I like to collect other things," she practically purred, reaching up to Lucien's lips for a kiss.

"And as for our talents? Well we have so many of course, it's hard to pick just one to tell you about." She grinned mischievously. She knew she'd given nothing away in this answer - except, perhaps, an insight into her pride.

Juno

Indeed, she was so very vague. He couldn't help but see this as something rewarding right now, though; every evaded question was something he would only strive to keep picking at or keep approaching at different angles until she yielded. "Sea snails?" he chuckled, the notion far more amusing to him than it really should have been considering what she was.

Her kiss did a good job in temporarily shutting him up, but only just that. Giving a pleased hum, Lucien decided to try and focus on one thing at a time now in hopes of chipping away at her. "Why don't you start with your favorite?" he suggested, settling his forehead against her as he grinned that immature little smirk. "Or favorites? There's gotta be something you like the most, right?"

stelmarisa

"My favourite? Oh no, no no..." She laughed and slipped away from him, sliding off the bed so that she was standing. "Telling you my favourite would be giving far too much away... you haven't earned that yet." She winked and shook her head, sending her hair twinkling and chiming. "I could... show you what I'm best at, I suppose. It's not fair to keep you waiting so long..."

One hand on her hip, she extended the other towards Lucien, unfurling her fingers as she did so. By the time her arm was fully extended her fingers were thinly webbed, a translucent green film connecting them. Looking up to Lucien, Dina cocked an eyebrow, waiting to see his reaction. As she did, the webbing continued to grow thicker and darker, until her hand looked more like a fin.

Juno

The fact that she was slipping away from him so easily wasn't exactly a settling notion for Lucien. His face took on a petulant pout as she moved to stand, his eyes looking as if his favorite toy had been taken away from him. The look on his face was one of a man working his mind to try and figure out a way around her rules, to get her to bend to his will in some way.

As Dina held her hand out to him, though, Lucien scooted closer to sling his legs off the edge of the bed to just watch her. His eyes widened a bit when he realized she was taking part in some sort of transformation at least of her hand. Interested in the changes that were taking place right before his eyes, he scooted even closer to the edge to peer at the forming and thickening webbing along her fingers that continually seemed to be refining itself.

"That's very impressive," he praised, smiling as he eyed the differences in color along her skin for what she'd done. "Can you just...do that at will, Dina?"

stelmarisa

"I know it is." She grinned and brought her arm back to rest against her stomach, letting her hand transform back to its human state slowly. "And of course I can," she boasted, not quite truthfully. "Well, most of the time, anyway." She said this conscious of the fact that the ridges forming on her ribs were becoming more and more visible, about to break apart into full-blown gills. That would be embarassing, when he realised that she wasn't controlling that little transformation.

"Any melite worth her salt can transform at will. Well, you get better at controlling it as you age," she clarified. This was a topic close to her heart, and in spite of the bet, she was keen to talk about it.

Juno

He couldn't say he was particularly surprised by her smugness, but he was definitely mesmerized by the way she so seamlessly altered her form. He'd yet to notice the odd movement along her sides, but every rippling image of how she looked to him was intriguing, though he still was ignorant to its intended purpose.

"Is it difficult to control?" he ventured, finally getting to his feet again as he took a few steps closer, his eyes continuing to roam up and down her form.

stelmarisa

"Very hard, at first," she finally admitted. "Melite children are taken to live in the shallows when they first begin to transform, because it is unpredictable, and therefore dangerous." She remembered well the frightening days when you could find yourself half a league underwater, and suddenly trying to breathe with human lungs.

"It gets easier and easier to control as you get older. Except for..." she broke off, distracted by a twingeing pain in her side. "Except for in certain situations. Like..." She stopped abruptly and gasped, hand flying to her side. As she pulled her hand away, deep gills were evident on her ribs, having split open as she talked.

She took an unsteady step towards Lucien, stumbling as she tried to walk. The pain was sharp and stabbing as the gills continued to open up, her body's first sign of dehydration.
"I need to be in water," she gasped.

Juno

Lucien was in awe of all of this, never before having much knowledge about any of the more specialized species of their world. It was a bit strange for the thief, but he couldn't say he didn't like learning a bit more about her like this. She seemed so open and honest and genuinely interested in sharing with him, at least in this. When she started breaking up her speech, though, he narrowed his brows in mild concern as she just stood there and he watched her hold a hand to her side.

Taking another step closer, he was reaching out his hand and about to ask what was wrong when he looked down again and saw her gills visible there. The feathery tissue so exposed like that gave him a bit of a shock, having not seen her like that yet and for a fraction of a second he wondered just how much variety there was between what he'd seen the previous day and what had been up until very recently, not even knowing yet how she looked in a more full Melite form.

As she staggered towards him, Lucien finally reached out to grasp her by the shoulders as she gasped out such weak words. Nodding, a blank expression was there for a moment as his mind scrambled to figure out what he should do. Should he help her? Yes, of course. There wasn't a bath drawn yet, he knew, so the only other option he knew was...the little pool of a pond he'd first found her by. At least it was close. He had another problem, though, in her current state of dress, or lack thereof.

Looking around the room, his eyes jumped from item to item quickly until they settled upon the blanket on the bed behind them. Snatching it off, he held it out for Dina as he glanced over at the door. "Here, can you put this on? We need to get you back outside, right? Let me carry you," he offered.

stelmarisa

Dina could feel more gills opening up along her ribs, the feathered edges breaking apart as her lungs struggled for air. The flesh pulling open, though it didn't bleed or form an open wound, hurt her deeply. She hadn't shared with Lucien that involuntary transformations often hurt, especially if they were a result of dehydration. She was frightened as well - although the change would likely stop at gills, it was getting harder to breathe and she was afraid of losing consciousness. That would never do.

"Okay," she gasped, reaching for the sheet that Lucien offered and wrapping it around her into a loose dress. "Thank you."

She reached her arms up towards Lucien to be carried. Now was no time for pride.