Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lapis lazuli and Indigo

Started by Haze, December 29, 2011, 03:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haze

Lapis lazuli. That was the colour of the sea today. A rich deep blue that encased all the sea life life a blanket. A calm, resonating security flowed like tendrils wrapping themselves around the brightly coloured fish, sea turtles and Siren's alike.

Flowing strands of hair fanned out in waves as Reevahn swam up from the black depths and into the inviting, warmer blues, spiraling upwards with eyes staring at the sparkles of sun breaking through like diamonds. With a rush of bubbles preceding her, the Siren gently broke the surface, hair sleek against her skull, while the rest of her locks danced about her shoulders like seaweed. She was a head bobbing in the water, staying afloat only by the constant but languid swishing of her indigo tail.

She watched the mainlanders for a moment - there weren't too many out there - and with great curiosity. They were intriguing creatures. They could be kind and generous one moment, and the next fickle and mean. Reevahn herself was mostly suspicious of them, but had set herself a challenge.

Opening her mouth ever so slightly, she began to sing. Melodies and harmonies both at once spilled from the singular voice, filling the air from a thousand different points, invisible threads would draw in a single being who would hear her song. It was soft as a whisper, but as strong as the most compelling desire, but without words. The mainlanders often found it speaking to their very soul, words of promise, of grandeur, and of love unfathomable.

Reevhan began a lazy swim to the shore, and pulled herself out of the water. The long tail disappeared in a shimmer and was replaced with a pair of shapely legs, covered with a gossamer balloon pant, and over her torso a simple cropped shirt, only slightly thicker in texture.

She laid herself sprawled, limbs all askew, and slowed down her breathing to almost non-existent. She didn't need to breathe like the mainlanders did and she used this to her advantage. Lying limp like she was, a girl shipwrecked and only just alive. The siren waited with closed eyes for the one who had heard her song.

Juno

<...that sound...that music...> There was a moment of dance upon the ground and then she was off, heading for the water from the path up the beach.

"Old mare!" he yowled, surprised by her sudden change of direction.

"I will not stand for any more of your foolishness, I am not going to get thrown again, try as you will!" he complained, firmly tugging at her reins though it did nothing. He gave her a swift kick, but she only surged faster.

<Sweet music...must find it...must have it...> The black mare paid no mind to her rider as she whisked them away, down through the thinning brush and grasses. Breaking the line, hooves sinking into the sand, Delphine padded out closer to the water. Turning this way and that in a constant back-and-forth, she was trying to decide which way to go, which way to lead her to what she sought.

"Dammit, girl! What is wrong with you?!" Ganon barked, dark eyes glaring down at the mare on a mission who continued to pay no attention at all to him.

Finally deciding, the horse dashed down the beach as quickly as she could. And then she saw the woman there, lying in the sand. <That's it! It's...her! It's this one! Oh my...what a nice song...hear more, hear more!> Nickering, she lowered her head to sniffle and snort at the girl's arm while Ganon just stared down in surprise.

"Is she dead?" he wondered as he climbed down from the saddle. Taking the few steps required, he crouched before her and reached a tentative hand out to poke at her limp form. "Missy, are ya dead?"

Haze

With the sound of hooves, the siren forced herself to stay absolutely still. In her mind's eye she saw a beautiful white horse, and upon it, a dashing rider in armour that glittered in the sun. And at his side was a sword, and a shield with the crest of a lion. Of course, she had no way of knowing what was coming for her, but she had heard enough fairy tales to imagine what this encounter could be like.

That image was shattered by the seemly bored voice. What? No... concern? Did you not hear my song? How odd. It seems it was the animal. Interesting... it's never happened that way before... She didn't move a muscle, even as the horse nudged at her, and not even with the unceremonious poking, although in her mind she flinched.

Quit poking me... do I look like I'm in the mood to be prodded? Why would you ask someone who is playing dead, if they're dead? Hmm... I wonder how far this could go...? I wonder, are you the kind of mainlander to leave someone for dead?

Her lips parted a moment, taking in an unnecessary tiny gasp. Blearily opening her eyes, she stared up into the face of the stranger. "Not dead," she whispered, before dramatically flopping her head to the side.

Juno

Ah, she'd moved. Watching curiously as the girl gasped and opened her eyes, Ganon was a bit surprised when she flopped her head back down again. "Not dead, she says, but she looks like she's been through the wringer, though, with her hair soaked like that. What shall we do with her, Delphine?"

The horse was still nudging at her, so excited that she'd shown a brief moment of consciousness. <She sings! She sings! And she talks! Such lovely singing, though...we should keep her. We should keep her, oh, we should!> Nickering gently again, the dark mare watched her for a time with a giddy anticipation gleaming in those chocolate brown eyes. When she didn't move again, though, she lifted her head and started nudging at Ganon instead, trying to push him closer. <Still keep her, she has pretty music! Pretty music and singing!>

The man sighed and put a hand to the horse's cheek to calm her. Petting for a moment and then reaching up to rub at her forehead, he decided what he was going to do. "She looks like she got thrown up by the ocean... But where did she come from?" Lifting his head, he looked out to the water beyond. There wasn't anything unusual that he could see.

But if she was out there...at some point, maybe she was on a ship? Such an odd-looking woman, though... Well, you can't ask her anything at all if she's passed out...guess we'll have to wait and see. And with that in mind, Ganon nudged the horse back and away and scooped up the siren. "But how to carry her?" he mused, looking down at how he was holding her now with one arm grasped around her knees and the other cradling her shoulders.

"She looks like a princess, don't she, Delphine? Would ya look at that hair?" he said, laughing as he glanced over at the horse. "No, this won't do. Not at all." He wasn't a prince, he wasn't any sort of noble at all, and he certainly wasn't the most gentlemanly fellow in the world, rich or poor. So what did Ganon do? He carried her up the beach with the black mare tagging along, and as soon as they hit more solid ground he stuck her on her belly up in the saddle. "Now let's go find some shade, girl, I'm sure she's just having a heat stroke or somethin'."

Haze

Reevahn listened with an amused line of thoughts. Of course my hair is soaked. I'm a siren, I live in the ocean. Thrown up? Bah! What a thought. Silly man... the ocean doesn't throw things up. But this is interesting, he talks to the horse as if she can hear him. That must mean something. Maybe he's just the kind who talks to himself? He certainly isn't acting as if he heard my singing... I wonder if I could try again, and see what happens? And whoops... there we go.

Goodness, he's strong isn't he? Hmm... haven't been held like this before. How to carry me? Just like you are now, silly... Princess? Oooh... I like that. Yes, yes, I am a princess. And what's wrong with my hair? My hair is beautiful! And what!
Her thoughts suddenly took a darker turn as he dumped her on top the the horse and with them the ocean began to churn just a little, the waves crashing with more force even though there was no wind to stir them.

Hey, watch it! How undignified! How on earth am I supposed to lay like this? How uncomfortable. This horse smells. Bleh. Maybe I should come to now. With a little sigh, she began to move, trying to give off the impression that she was indeed coming to. "Water," she whispered hoarsly, inwardly saluting her acting prowess, "Kind Sir, water... please?"

Juno

Oblivious to the sudden snapping of the waves and holding the mare by one rein, he walked them back up toward the road he had been on before. "Gee, girlie, what are we gonna do with her, hm?" he asked the horse as he looked ahead. Suddenly, though, the woman was speaking again.

Looking back to her, he just shook his head. "Water? Hmph, fine." Why didn't you think about that before, idiot?

<She speaks again! Oh, you're awake? Please sing more for me? Please? It was so pretty!>

Stopping Delphine, he took a couple of steps backwards towards the pack strapped down behind the saddle to retrieve one of his canteens. In one hand he held onto it as he eyed her for a moment. She's tiny, I could probably just...

Reaching out, he snaked his free arm under her and abruptly jerked her back off the horse. Holding her there, just barely supporting her by her waist, he held out the canteen expectantly. "Go on, then. Why didn't you just ask for water before?" Hmph. Silly woman. Ah, but be gentler, she's just coming to again...she probably doesn't know what's going on.

"I mean... sorry, I didn't realize you were thirsty," he offered, cracking a toothy smile that just barely showed those gleaming fangs of his as he moved to hold the canteen to her lips for her instead.

Haze

Do with me? Give me water, human! And I wouldn't mind if you were a little more gentle. What do you think I'm made out of? I'm going to bruise you know. Good. Yes, water. Bring it to me. Wait.. what are you doing! Just hand it to me! WAIT!

Reevahn barely avoided squeaking as she was yanked from the back of the horse, and struggled to stay in her stupor. She hadn't imagined this would be her first encounter. Her sisters always spoke of men who were so enamored by their singing, by their beauty, that they gave them the kiss of life. But of course, that always ended badly, so Reevahn was quietly okay with this fellow not having to suffer that same fate, if she was unable to control herself.

Oh, so now you offer it to me. And put me down! I'm not a little ... seashell you can hold! Just you wait... I'll get you... Wairly, she let him bring the bottle to her lips, tilting her head back slightly to take in as much liquid as possible. As she did, her odd coloured eyes took to the sky, and her will spoke to the particles of the air. Within seconds the tiniest sliver of cloud began to form above the man's head, filling with the moisture in the air.

"Before?" She asked softly, putting her hands to the canteen and pushing it away from her. She turned her gaze to the gentleman, noticing something strange about the way he smiled, but offered her own lazy, lethargic smile in return. "Oh, sir. You found me. You rescued me. How can I ever repay you?"

And if you don't put me down soon, I am going to upend this cloud over your head. Hmmmmph.

Juno

Capping the canteen and reaching up to replace it in his pack, the man smiled proudly to himself at her praise. He didn't know what she was doing. He definitely didn't know what she was either, but he thought he did. He thought she was just some little human girl who certainly kept no water at all on her person.

"Oh, there's no need for repayment, sweetheart," he said with another smile. Though I would love to see how your blood tastes. It's probably sweet...you look like a nice enough girl. So exotic...I bet it'll be different, won't it? We shall have to see.

Ganon loosened his hold around her waist, unsure if she could stand on her own yet or not. "We should get you in some shade, though, don't want you passing out again," he urged, gesturing a little ways down the road where the trees began once more. "How did you end up out there anyway...?"

Haze

Sweetheart? Who are you calling sweetheart? And what does that even mean? Pah. Put. Me. Down.

He did loosen his grip on her, and the wobble of her knees was no pretense. She'd forgotten what it was like to have her feet touch the ground. Sea legs were an understatement. Even as she put her full weight to the earth, she forced back a wince. It was like walking on coals.

She took a hand to her head, hoping that the simple movement might take her mind off her new found feet for a second's respite, and answered his question cautiously, in her whimsical tone.

"Shade, would be good. Although," she just didn't see how she could walk by herself, at least until she could get the wobble of her knees under control. Falmar save me, I'm going to have to ask him to carry me. "Would you mind helping me along. I ... I don't trust me feet just yet.

"As to how I ended up out there? I... I was washed ashore, obviously," her eyes peered curiously into his face, trying to gauge just how much of a story he might believe. "Three days ago, I was sailing, when a storm rose from nowhere. It tipped my small boat, and I was lost to the ocean's mercy..."Nice one, Reev, ocean's mercy. pah!

"... but, I don't remember much else. How... how'd you find me?"

Juno

He merely nodded as he moved his arm up to hold her just under her shoulders instead. "I'll help, don't be worrying yourself over something like that," he said with a roll of his eyes as he stepped off to walk with her. He figured a woman he "rescued" might actually take his help, so he found it a bit odd she was asking. Her little story, however, did spark a bit of interest in that off mind of his.

Her? Sailing? On an actual ship? My, this could be interesting... "How did I find you? Hmph." Looking to the mare tagging along, Ganon gestured vaguely to the animal with a wave of his free hand. "She insisted on going down to the beach ? and don't you ask me why, I've no idea...crazy thing was pulling and wouldn't listen to a thing I did. But there you were, sprawled out like some...like some, oh I don't know like what. But she insisted on taking a look at ya.

"And you looked about dead so I figured I couldn't just leave you out there to burn up and die, or get eaten."

Haze

She couldn't help but wince as they stepped across the ground, even though she was trying to tread as lightly as she could. It would take some getting used to, it always did. And actually, she couldn't find herself getting upset as the contact either, instead, leaning into him slightly. Her hand snaked around his back so that she could keep as much weight off her feet as possible. She couldn't help the slight limp in her gait either.

At the mention of the horse, she cast a glance over to it. The horse heard me? How curious. I didn't know animals were susceptible. In her head, she began to hum an intoxicatingly sweet tune, directed to the horse, wondering if it would catch the magic threads in its subconscious. She ran a hand over the smooth plane of her bare stomach absently, before letting her hand drop.

"Well, I am glad you came," she offered, blinking up at him and smiling sweetly. Her skin was in fact feeling particularly warm, and she cast a quick glance to the little wisp of cloud still hanging of his head. "But what would eat me out here? It's not as if I was in a forest."

Juno

The obvious difference in their gaits had him wondering if she truly was injured somehow he had not seen. Delphine, however, was getting antsy again for the excitement she just couldn't contain. The mare pranced in pace in-time with their steps as she craned her neck to peer around Ganon to eye Reevahn in silence.

~I know it's you. I know it. I knew it when I found you. Pretty song. I want to keep it.~

Ganon walked with her, an arm still firmly around her though he remained blissfully oblivious to the cloud as those dark eyes watched her closely now, a twitch of a smile showing until he realized she'd taken notice of his slip of tongue. "Well," he began, apprehensive and unsure of how he might believably cover his small blunder before it snowballed into something he couldn't hide from. "I hear there are things around.... things that lurk about, y'know. Monsters and such that make their runs along the shore, but I suppose it could just be stories." With a shrug, he lifted his eyes to the road before them, trying to pay no mind to the increasingly hyper horse at his other side.

"But I hear it's mostly at night they come out, so I s'pose you don't have much to worry about now that you've been found, hm?" He chanced a glance down to her legs now before adding, "Did you twist your leg or something? Ya hurt anywhere?"

Haze

Reevahn giggled at Delphine's antics, and continued the little humming song in her mind for her benefit. So intriguing that it was the animal affected, and not the man beside her. It really would have been so much fun to have a fellow fawning all over her. He was just talking about monsters, and her attention redirected to him.

It seemed that both of their attentions weren't entirely in tact. "Monsters along the shores? Pah! I've never seen anything more scary along the beaches than a human with a fishing line." Her lips twisted a little with her give-away, but what was even more annoying was the fact that she wasn't entirely sure how to answer his next question.

"I might have," she said warily, looking down at the unfamiliar appendages, watching as her toes touched the ground, and feeling every single little grain of sand, rock and pebble underfoot. It was best to be honest. Sort of. "I don't know. My feet hurt. I can't put weight on them. Can we stop soon?"

Juno

He looked down as she did, but he had no way of knowing right now that her legs were anything out of the ordinary for her. That she looked fragile, though, was quite an understatement; she looked about ready to drop and her request to stop soon had him wondering if he'd pushed her too far.

"Sure... but, here. If they hurt, I can carry you the rest of the way," he said, gesturing down the path with his head before giving her a quick once over that left a slight gleam in his eyes. "Here, I'm sure it won't be any trouble..." Ganon stopped, gesturing with his free hand down at her legs and hoping she would allow him to pick her up, though he was already inclined to force her to accept his "help". The horse wasn't helping much, though, what with how she hovered around them.

"And what's this about scary fishermen?" he prodded.

Haze

Reevahn met the look in his eye, and barely hid a little distrustful glint of her own to edge in. The rain cloud above his head grew in size, still small enough to remain unnoticed, but now big enough to give him a good dousing. Still, this is what she had wanted, wasn't it? The chance to get out and explore, and meet new people? Maybe he was just a kind stranger. She nodded to his offer. "Thank you. That'd be lovely."

She realised though, that she was going to have to think fairly quickly, yet again, to come up with a good reason for scary fishermen. "Well," she started slowly, brushing hair back from her face, and staring intently at the man, just in case he suspected something from how she avoided answering him completely.

"Have you ever had a man come at you with a hook? It isn't very nice. I bet you'd be scared if you were a poor, defenceless little fish, right?"

Juno

Bending down, Ganon picked her up much like he had previously, though he tried his best not to sling her around so much now. He did have the brief thought of throwing her back up onto the horse so he wouldn't have to put effort into it, but he decided against it when he realized he'd made the offer to do it himself. Could always do it later. Claim I'm tired, she wouldn't know the difference.

"Just keep your arms around my neck. Keep us more balanced that way," he explained simply between her explanation. That, in itself, though, puzzled him quite a bit. Looking down at her, those maroon eyes widen a bit as she basically asked him to imagine himself as one of the fish a fisherman might be after. "A...hook?" If he had a free hand, he definitely would have been scratching his head right then. That's just so damned... weird. Very weird. A fish. Never had anyone describe a fisherman as all that scary before. Poor thing must've hit her noggin, huh? Or maybe the lack of air really got to her head out there. Or she's...seeing strange things. Quite possibly a bit of all of those. Damn, what have I gotten myself into... Stupid horse. Taking me to some crazy woman.

"I don't quite see how a fish is defenseless... Couldn't it just swim away?" he asked slowly as he walked along, unsure if he should be goading her further on this even though the horse seemed so interested in her whether she was speaking or not. Still, the cloud went unnoticed, his attention wholly on the girl in his arms whose sanity he was not entirely sure of at this point.

Haze

Reevahn did as she was told, and hooked her arms up around his neck. It was a strange feeling, being so close to another. She'd always been careful to keep her distance. She didn't know how her siren-esque qualities might react with physical contact. Right about now, she was realising that she wasn't reacting in a way that might be harmful at all. She had no urge to gobble him up, like her sisters might have. Hah. I'm a vegetarian! She was quite happy with this little revelation, and took the opportunity to relax in this stranger's arms.

That was, until he carried on about fish not being defensless. She snorted as this thought, and her eyes widened in indignation. "Sw-swim!? Swim away!? Have you ever heard of a net!? They're horrible, barbaric things. Fish get trapped, tangled even. I've seen - heard of - fishermen who use nets to corral fish in huge numbers so that they can fish to their hearts content. They don't even care that they make the animals sad! And do you know what else? If creatures like turtles, and dolphins get stuck too - do you know what they do!?"

Her concentration on the rain cloud was slipping, while her cheeks began to glow a rosy red, and her voice screeched as she reached the pinnacle of her tirade. "The fishermen let them get stuck, and then the poor things DIE!"

Juno

"A net? Of course I ha--" But her tirade continued. He certainly hadn't expected this, but it was somewhat amusing to see someone so recently back into "consciousness" lecturing him about the woes of sea creatures. He had never really given much thought into how most fishermen got their livelihood especially considering how little he actually "ate" and how infrequently he ever did so. Fish was definitely something he'd had very little of in what life he could remember, but it was food all the same to him. Tasty. Nutritious. That was all he cared about when it came to "eating", not where his food really went to before it ended up on his plate.

She was definitely fired up about this, though, and at the very least he could tell by the bright coloring of her cheeks now, her eyes suddenly lit with some passion he did not know the depths of about her beloved fish. Fish. Turtles. Anything else for that matter... it's all the same to me.

"No need to scream," he reminded her, wincing a bit as he glanced up to the path ahead to see how close they were to where a thicker tree line started. "Things die every day, Missy. Everyone eats something... the world can't go on without stuff dying, right? I mean... what's a couple of fish, huh? So what if a few animals die... it's better for everyone in the end."

Haze

"Things die! Of course they die! I'm not stupid, you idiot!" Reevahn was seething at his apparent view of her ignorance. "I'm not opposed to fish dying if it is to feed other life, it happens every day in the ocean. I know all about the circle of life, mister." The sarcastic inflection was heavy, and with it, she finally lost control of the cloud, and a downpour rained down on Ganon's head with as much gusto as she was berating him.

Seeing the cloud let loose, however, did not stop her talking. "What I get upset about is that way humans are so greedy! They take more than they need, and destroy and ... and ... kill! ... whatever natural resources are around. It makes me so mad! Because.. well, look at you! You see no problem with creatures dying when they clearly didn't need to! You know what happens to the creatures that get tangled in nets? Huh? Huh!? THEY DIE! FOR NO REASON! They arenot even used for food. Just left to .. left to..." she began sniffing, overwhelmed with sadness for the plight of her beloved ocean.

"Just left to rot. And no one cares."

Juno

She wasn't heeding his words on the screaming, and her anger seemed to grow even, if that was possible at this point. The livid look in her eyes was met with something fairly lackluster in his own. He thought it odd that she was so passionate about animals that got trapped in nets considering that he himself had never batted an eye at the issue. Pondering this, though, was abruptly interrupted by the sudden, cold and heavy rain pricking harshly at bare skin. Hissing and wincing, his head quickly snapped up to look to the skies as he hurried to get them out from under the uncanny dashing of rainwater. "'The hell did that come from," he muttered even as she carried on. Cold. Cold rain. Very cold.

His efforts did nothing for the fact that he'd already received a good soaking, which was irritating but nothing really to fuss over too much, but he was a bit surprised for the sudden change of weather from fairly unclouded skies. The woman hadn't stopped talking, though, and as he turned his attention back to what she was saying he just let out a heavy sigh as he shook his head to try and whip some of the water from his hair away so it would stop dripping into his eyes. So strange that she doesn't seem fazed by getting drenched. Though, I suppose she doesn't care much considering she was washed up on the beach...

"It happens," he sighed, trying very hard not to grit his teeth. "Not everything's ever going to be perfect. Waste happens... Now, could you please stop hollering? At least until we get somewhere for you to 'rest'? I'm carrying you for a reason... and I'd like to hope that that decision was still a good one." Nah, I just need her calm. Don't like the yelling, it's going to give me a headache if she won't cut it out. Stupid fish... why do they have to be so dumb that... people... people like her feel the need to get all protective 'cause they can't keep out of trouble themselves?! Ugh... I need a drink.