Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Fiery Production

Started by Anonymous, April 23, 2012, 10:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A young centaur trotted into a village square, the cobblestones making a musical rhythm with her every step. Here she would put on her next show. She pinned a large poster on a flagpole in the center of the square where nobody would miss it. It was bold, impudent even, but that would arouse even greater curiosity.
[center:2f8sir1n][font=b:2f8sir1n]Berriadan the Firewielder
Come to see the only centaur able to become fire itself!
Tonight
[/font:2f8sir1n][/center:2f8sir1n]

At an inn Berriadan bought a hearty stew. The innkeeper never was able to relocate the silverware from her table. Another item gone missing within close proximity of the kleptomaniac. It was a wonder she wasn't infamous for her petty theft. Even petty theft had a habit of building on itself and losing its pettiness.
In her room she changed into a black leather shirt that threw light whenever she moved. Her hair was arranged atop her head and she painted her face until it matched what these people believed to be beautiful while still keeping an overall theme of fire. Within a few hours the sun had set and it was time.

Berriadan strapped her saddlebag to her striped sides next to her knife and returned to the square. A large crowd had gathered, even larger than usual.
Ignore the pockets. She reminded herself. No matter how tempting they may be the show had not yet begun, and she had promised herself she would not steal anything unless the show failed tonight.
She swept off her hat and cloak in a way that radiated mystery and left the hat on the ground for whoever chose to donate. Wordlessly she began her show. Slowly her hands turned to flame and the fire swept up her arms, crawling up her neck but never singeing her hair. An intricate dance began in harmony with the fire licking and leaping, eager to leave its master but still controlled.
Every eye was on her and Berriadan knew it. If she was anything besides a performing thief, she was a show off. She loved being in the center of attention, it was almost what she lived for. The crowd got to her head and she put on the most spectacular show she had evermade for anybody.
At last she took her bow, the fire dieing down on command. The hat was overflowing with coins. Now she had to keep up her end of her deal. No taking anything that  had not been given to her. Best to move out of temptation's way.
BUt temptation seemed determined to get in her way. As she was moving back to the tavern an old man brushed up against her and she found a wallet in her pocket. She was disgusted with herself. She had stolen without trying. When she looked around the man was gone.

Lion

These were the kinds of days that kept him from wandering into populated places.  There was a sense of anxiety in the air, he could feel it.  It rang through him like a booming echo into a massive cave, resonating and he waited there at the edge of town for the longest time.  For what?  What was there to anticipate?  When did he, for all his experiences, become such an expert in anticipation?  He scoffed at himself as he watched the townspeople go about their business.

This was starting to get silly, he thought.  When did he start having an interest in climbing in trees?  Never – well, not until recently.  And in the clothes he was wearing, pfft!  Did he honestly think he would be able to truly blend into the treeline?  He was in commoner's garb for crying out loud.  He doubted this particular town had a neighborhood 'crazy tree man' and he didn't want to become the first one.  But despite these thoughts, he still was hesitant to fall from his spot on the tree.  He was concealed here, nobody saw him.  Yet, that was.  But the prospect remained that he didn't want to be seen, yet he knew needed someplace to get supplies.  Either way he'd have to climb down sooner or later.

As darkness fell, he felt himself shiver in the night wind.  And as a peculiar sight took the attention of the townspeople, Bishop felt it was safe enough to drop down.  There was quite a commotion from the people that watched this particular spectacle that he'd been blinded to by the bulk of buildings and houses.  Eventually his curiosity drew him to see what all the fuss was about.  With arms across his chest, Bishop lingered in the background for a while, walking into a space to view one of the most bizarre sights he'd ever seen.

He didn't see the beginning of it. But what he saw was enough for him.  If he ever thought he'd seen it all...with all he'd been through, he was wrong.  Plain and simple.  Well, now he'd seen everything.  Half a girl. Half a horse. On fire.  He was as in awe of this display as all those around him, but the charm quickly wore off when he saw all the money this creature was receiving from the stunt.  People actually paid for this kind of entertainment?  He guessed the occasional card game and lady of the night no longer sated the appetite for delight anymore.  He scoffed a little, amused by the sight, but smiled in good humor nonetheless.

The crowd slowly parted and he furrowed his eyes in curiosity as the centaur stalked away with her earnings, heading toward the nearby tavern.  She was a large creature and those that walked against her knew to get out of her way.  Save for an older gentleman who was preoccupied looking down, counting his steps, when he bumped into her.  "Oh sorry, lady," he said and stumbled on.  But Bishop kept his eye on her.  He saw something in her hands that wasn't there before...

Why...the slick filly!  This was all just a charade, wasn't it.  He stalked after her, rather quickly and called out.  "I saw that, you thief!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Berriadan's ears pricked up when she heard the man call her a thief. She didn't mind being called a thief, it was the truth after all. The problem was that he had shouted the fact that he had seen her. She picked up her pace. The thief could be somebody else, maybe he hadn't meant her at all. Still she was nervous. She didn't notice but her pace quickened to a brisk trot. She had to get away. Away from the man and away from the wallets. She moved past an apple stand and tucked a few into her pouch while the keeper wasn't looking. He wouldn't miss them. Little things, trinkets, baubles really found their way into her pockets. She loved it and hated it the way she loved and hated herself.

Lion

She was trying to get away, but he wouldn't let her escape that easily.  She tried to think she was fast enough to get away.  Even if she was a centaur, what right did she have to think she could rob people?  None from his point of view.  Bishop ran for the centaur, feeling himself surge with an unnatural burst of adrenaline.  When he was clsoe enough he vaulted up from behind her and landed on top of the horse half of her.  "You give those back right now!  Theif!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Berriadan stopped up short when she felt a new weight on her back. Her ears laid back flat. Nobody, nobody ever rode a centaur. She whipped her head around and snorted horse-style. "You think you can take this bull by the horns, you'd better be ready for a ride!"
She lept over a bench coming closer to toppling it over. Good thing nobody was on it. She sprinted none too gently over towards a field. She wanted to throw him, yes, but she didn't want him to get hurt. She began bucking violently, taking sudden turns and leaping off rocks. When he was still on her back she reluctantly summoned the fire. "Don't make me do this!" She begged, still running. Her hands were in full flame, but she didn't want it to be that way. She didn't want him to get hurt, and while she could become fire she was not immune to fire while in solid form. And they wouldn't be the only ones hurt, if the grass caught fire the villiage could burn down. Not only would many lives be lost she would be chargeed with arsony. In some places the penalty was death. She would be a wanted criminal.

Lion

If Bishop expected the apprehension of a centaur to be an easy task, he was a bigger fool than even he thought he was.  As soon as she began to move, Bishop ducked his head against her back and wrapped his arms around her waist, holding on as tight and securely as he could so as to not be bucked off.  He couldn't say he'd had much experience in horseback riding let along centaur riding so all he could do was hold on for dear life.

The truth was he was terrified, being on the back of this crazy creature woman thing.  But he couldn't show it, he refused to show it!  "You'd rather burn me than give back what you stole!?" he felt himself screaming at the top of his lungs.  He thought about reaching back into his belt for a dagger, but felt letting go even for one second would have him hurtling through the air.

"Give back what you took!" he demanded.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"I can't!" Berriadan shouted. "He's gone by now! I didn't even see his face. I didn't even want to steal his money. Why would I leave a hat for people to pay me if I could just steal what I wanted?" To her horror the fire was crawling up her arms now, against her own will. "I don't want to hurt you, I don't want to steal, and I just want you off my back! For your information I'm trying to find a way to controll the fact that I'm a kleptomaniac!"
She was so distracted she didn't notice herself moving closer and closer to a pit until she was in it. "Ouch." She turned her ankle hesitantly and immidiately regretted it. The dumb think was broken. "I hope you're happy." She snapped. Her ears twiched forward. She was sure she had heard a sound. A sort of slithering, but it also flapped and rustled like it had feathers and wings. There was only one thing she knew of that sounded like a flying, feathered snake. She silently pulled her knife out of its leather case. "Close your eyes. I can hear a bassilisk. Just trust me, I'm not going to kill you. Can't you smell it?" Her eyes were wide open, senses on overload. There was no way that she was going to let this thing kill her or her new-found... well, enemy. He had behaved kind of like a jerk in her mind, but he was just annoying, not evil.

Lion

He knew he would.  It was only a matter of time, but truth he didn't think it would be so quick either.  He knew he was better off not having gotten into the situation in the first place and he regretted the very moment he vaulted onto this creature's back.  Not only was she too fast for his liking – and he'd never been that experienced of a rider, and certainly there was a distinct difference between riding a horse and riding a centaur – but he felt himself getting sick with all the motion around him.  And he only buried his face deeper into her back to keep from puking.  But the heat that was crawling up her arms only made him feel sicker.  He couldn't say anything, he didn't even hear her.

And when they landed into the pit, Bishop could have sworn he'd broken something.  At last he was off her back and on solid ground, though darkness took his sight and he couldn't see much at all.  "Where...where are we?" he asked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Berriadan shook her hair in irritation. She had been really glad the fire had gone out, but now it might come in handy what with a bassilisk and all. Her rider had come off her back at last and asked where they were. "Well let's see," She snapped. "We are in the middle of a wet pit in the middle of a field in the middle of a farmer's property and," She paused for breath. "We have a bassilisk for company so keep your eyes and mouth shut while I try to figure a way out of this mess." She was extremely grouchy considering the fact that her ankle was broken.

Lion

Bishop couldn't see any sort of basilisk, much less how they got here.  He'd forgotten he had been too busy feeling sick to really appreciate her mental memory.  On that note, Bishop felt his stomach go up into his throat and he heaved off to the side, spilling out whatever contents his stomach contained in a corner away from the centaur.

"This is you're fault anyway," he said when he regained himself.  "If you'd have just not taken what didn't belong to you.  We wouldn't be in this mess.  I'm sorry that you're angry, but you should have looked where you were going."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Berriadan was doing her best to stay calm and keep the fire under controll. Her hair started smoking anyway. "Oh, so now we're playing the blame game? If I chose to play, which I don't, then I could trace this whole issue down to my parents who made me a kleptomaniac!" Her voice had risen to a shout, not wise when a bassilisk was near. "And I'd like to see you watch where you're going when- oh never mind." She sighed. The fire on her head died down. "I'm trying to fix myself." Then she straightened up. "There's got to be a way out of this."

Lion

Kleptomaniac?  What the hell was she talking about?  Great, he had managed to meet up with not only a thieving centaur but a crazy one too.  Bishop managed to stand, though he cracked his back as he gauged how rough a shape he was in.  He was getting too old for this kind of thing.  It wasn't like he was eighteen anymore.

He looked upward from where they fell, seeing the light from what remained outside.  "Why don't you trying climbing?  I'm sure your hands are sticky enough."  He could care less if a basilisk lingered nearby.  Though he was never one to take anything for granted, or to treat such with a sour mood, the events culminating up until now weren't doing him any favors.  In fact, he even though he'd rather take a basilisk over this insane centaur.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn