Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fortunes a-plenty! [Brooke!]

Started by Rhindeer, June 27, 2012, 12:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

For all the notoriety Connlaoth had, getting their little troupe inside had been a rather uneventful affair.

The soldiers had been polite enough and no one had needed to be marked, as not a single member of their troupe was a mage, and many had seemed curious about their group. Which was understandable and, in fact, was exactly why they'd set out to try their luck in Connlaoth. A group of traveling performers, none of which possessed a lick of magic, would be far more impressive in a place without magic than in a place that had it. Their art was often a tough sell in Serendipity and Adela, though Adela, at least, was a little more receptive. But here, people could appreciate tricks and illusions done not with any vile magic, but with sleight of hand and dance and pure athleticism.

They had figured that Uthlyn would be their best starting point, and so that is where the group headed. They parked their wagons--five small ones--just outside the city. There they moved their wagons into a circle to create a natural "stage" at the center, set up their simple props and equipment, and sent a couple of their crew into the city to spread the word.

People came in a trickle at first, but word of mouth doubled the numbers as stories spread of flexible acrobatic twins, sword-swallowers, fire-dancers, and horses that did tricks. They didn't have a large crew; most of their members were proficient in multiple areas. The sword-swallowers also fire-danced, the horses were the same ones that pulled the wagons, and one of the twins was an illusionist. Perhaps it wasn't as fancy or as impressive as other acts elsewhere, but it was something, and it was different.

Then there was Iris.

Iris had always been a bit of an oddity in the group, for she didn't actually perform as the others did. Or at least, not in the same way. Set apart from the main area, out of the way of swords and horses, she had set up a little table beneath a shady tree. An old cloth covered it, decorated with tassels, and an assortment of crystals and runes and carved bones were laid out on it, as well as a deck of Thanati Fuiyun cards. Just as her table was eclectic, so to was she, her white and lilac hair decorated with little beads and bells that were also woven into her colorful skirt. A shawl was draped over her shoulders.

None of the colors she wore matched, either. But that didn't bother her. Her cloudy eyes were proof of her blindness.

But blind or not, she could tell the future and read fortunes, she claimed. It was a gift from Ansgar, this sight. Though He had taken her eyes, He had given her a new kind of vision in return!

Some people were uncomfortable with this, finding it too close to witchcraft even though she didn't bear the mark. Others, curious, were drawn in.

And even as Iris played her role, she paid close attention to what was going on around her. She knew she was pushing boundaries here.

But she was used to that.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Brooke Chase

TRIGGER WARNING FOR RAPE.

My mouth met the hot and suffocating fabric of the pillow when an unfamiliar hand wrapped around the back of my head. Tears ran from my eyes as I was pushed further into the stretch of blankets and pillows that laid before the fireplace. The hot fire crackled and warmed my skin, usually a feeling of comfort was now a feeling of despair. A knot began to develop in my throat, the pain of his body pushing against mine. There was nothing gentle about what was happening. My unknown assailant smacked my thigh so hard  with his free hand. It left a painful stinging sensation. He laughed as he grabbed tight of my hair - firming his grip I almost thought my neck would snap as he jerked my head backwards. He leaned in close to my hear, I could feel the heat of his breath. He whispered in my ear,

"Forever mine."

I searched quickly in my mind for reason, for answers, for anything that would make sense of what was going on. I let out a small gasp as my face was allowed to leave the pillow for a moment. It wasn't a gasp for air, it was a gasp for a little sanity. It was cut short, his strong and rough hands pushed my head back down, pulling the back of my hair. Slamming against me, over and over, harder and harder without any concern to the pain it was causing me. He took no care, no thought into what was happening. He groaned, and then briefly collapsed on the top of my naked back. His hands ran up my sides and he took a cold hard hit to my ass. I flinched in response. I laid there, in confusion and shock. Not moving, leaving myself the way he left me as he got up off of me. I was afraid to move, afraid he would come back. I could hear him rustling around, a belt buckle, and then silence. I moved my head slightly to see him, there he was standing over me, grinning. His jet black hair with wolf like sideburns, his grey eyes which appeared full of anger, lust, and hate. He was tall and very muscular which explained why I had been so easily taken over. He turned and walked towards the exit of the room, closing the door behind him - locking it.

I rolled over to my side, hair and sweat stuck to my naked body. I pulled the soft velvet sheet over myself. A necklace that I was wearing fell to the side and got my attention. I picked up the charms and began to examine them. There was a small circle with a red ruby in the middle, about an 3/4 and inch in diameter. A star shaped blue gem, a 1/2 inch in size, and a small silver key attached to it with small rhinestone diamonds in-crested on it. The most peculiar thing about the necklace was that the circle piece felt warm, the star piece felt cold, and I could swear that that the key seemed to give off a slight glow, similar to the moon. I sat up, the fire in the fireplace had gone out, just warm embers rested in the ashes. Faintly glowing.

Thoughts began to race through my mind,Who am I? Where am I? What is this place? Who was that .... awful man?

I made my way to the bed that was in the room, it was actually a very nice bed. An assortment of pillows engulfed the top of the bed, green satin sheets laid under the vibrantly colored blanket. Four wooden posts led up to a canopy where a sheer fabric hung and encompassed the bed. My hands ran across the sheets, sliding my body into them. My eyes closed for a moment of relief, whatever had just happened was obviously over, but now what? Something came over me, a strong sense of sadness and pain. I rolled over onto my back, pulling the soft sheet up across my face, and began to cry.

I whispered to myself, "I don't even know my own name."

The emotion and the stress of everything sank deep into my thoughts. I was alone, empty, confused, and lost. I closed my eyes as more warm and salty tears streamed out. I silently cried myself to sleep. What could the morning possibly bring me? Obviously, nothing of hope ...
[center:3k2v61ed]_________________________________________________________________[/center:3k2v61ed]
I was currently wondering through the streets of what was known at Uthlyn, this was my residence. My master, Liam had filled me in this morning of the little known details of my life. Apparently, I was suffering from amnesia. I was found just outside of Uthlyn, my head had been bloodied and was thought to be dead. However, I had recovered and was sold to Liam as his personal slave.

My eyes darted around the city as I quickly walked through the streets, Liam had ordered me to go get a few things for his dinner party he was hosting for a few business prospects next week. I was not told what the business was, but something in my gut tells me that is is illegal. Just as I was thumbing through some trinkets in a market stand, I heard a couple whisper - a caravan of performers had set up just on the outskirts of town.

I began to follow the few individuals who had decided to make their way out to see the caravan and what exactly it entailed. As I approached it I saw a man who was swallowing swords and then the next moment was breathing fire. In truth, that is not what caught my eye. A young woman brushed my arm on accident, as she passed I heard her say, "It is rumored that a fortune teller is here, perhaps that is her." She pointed over to a shaded tree.

My mind began to wonder if this person could give me any insight into who I am and where I am from. Someone had just gotten up from the chair that was before a woman. I approached slowly, taking a seat I looked her over. It wasn't her spectacular and bold clothes that caught my attention, it was really that fact that her eyes were ... cloudy. Was she blind?

Clearing my throat I began talk to her, "My name is ... Brooke ... are you really a teller of fortune?"

Rhindeer

Iris had just finished up a Fuiyun reading for an older man when a woman's voice filled her ears. Smiling, Iris turned her face in her direction though her eyes looked through her without seeing her.

"I am indeed, child! A teller or fortune, a fortuneteller, a blind seer. One gifted by Ansgar Hisself ta see wha' can only be seen without th' distraction of physical sight," she said, and motioned with her hand.

"Come! Come closer, dear. Wha' wouldja like ta know? Th' future? Yer past? Oh, not jus' any past, but th' life ya lived before this one! Ya can learn lots about th' now by examinin' wha' came before. Oh! How rude of me, ya gave me yer name but I didn't gave ya mine. I'm Iris, dear one. Jus' Iris."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Brooke Chase

Taking a seat in the rickety old wooden chair, it creaked as I adjusted herself while listening to Iris speak. The only money that was on me, was the money that Liam gave me to get supplies for his business party. The coins jingled as I began to count them, hopefully this Iris woman wouldn't be too demanding on requesting a high amount coinage. Either way, if she could help me find out anything about my past or future, I know I would be grateful.

A small sigh left my lips, "Well, to be honest with you Iris ... I know nothing of my past. I woke up without any memories. Perhaps we could start there?" I was unsure of what to do next, I began to fidget in the chair, making it creak a little bit more. "How do you go about this usually? I haven't ever done this before."

Or perhaps I have and just don't remember. My stomach began to become a bit upset. I began to question myself, What if she tells me something horrible? Something I purposely needed to forget. Maybe my life before this was even worse than the new life I have now. Could that be possible? A knot developed in my throat, I tired to ignore it and focused on perhaps the happy things she might be able to tell me.

Rhindeer

Iris blinked in surprise. This...oh dear. This was not the typical customer! The typical customers were giggling girls who wanted to know who they'd marry and how many babies they'd have and young men trying to act manly and stoic as they asked they same. One could give generic answers for those questions, easily. This, however, was serious.

But Iris also wasn't about to flinch at it. This was her livelihood. And anyone who wanted to know their future or past was already taking a risk, right?

"Well, m'dear," she began, reaching out to find and take one of the girl's hands in her own. "There are many firsts in life, an' many paths to th' same destination. Th' how don't matter so much as th' journey, an' there's no right path but th' one tha' feels most right."

She motioned to her table, to the items she had spread out and meticulously arranged. "Choose, dear one. There are many ways. I can read Fuiyun cards, bones, runes, tea leaves, and even th' lines of yer hand. Which speaks loudest to ya, honey?"