Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Trying to appear nonchalant...

Started by AnnieInsight, June 28, 2012, 08:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozee9

What just happened? was the first thing that cross Alexandra's mind. Let's get this straight. First, this new guy comes in. Second, this new guy stabs the old (old as in he was here before) guy in the foot. Third, the old guy leaves. And, last, this new guy claims to be Calliope's uncle? Something is messed up here...

Alexandra, assuming this man had been following them for a while (since he wouldn't coincidentally be in the woods when his niece just so happened to be in danger), didn't bother to hide. Standing up and leaning against the tree to hide the pain in her foot, Alexandra said, "Why don't you come over here? I'm not going to walk into a man who has a knife in his hand and just stabbed someone. And neither is Calliope." Alexandra was grateful towards this man for helping them, but she added a little bit of coldness into her tone. He was way too suspicious for his own good. For anyone's own good.

Looking over at Calliope, Alexandra silently whispered, "Niece? You didn't tell me you had family following you. Who is he?"

Alexandra was in a bad mood. And she had every reason to be (at least in her opinion. She was chased out of her camp by a gigantic bounty hunter (assuming he was a bounty hunter), then she had to go to the guy wanting to capture her to get Calliope's stuff, and then she had to run from him. If that wasn't bad enough, he was also a better runner and tracker than she thought, leading in her getting almost cornered. She then sprained (she thinks) her ankle, and now she's stuck with some obsessed stalker uncle trying to help them. Yeah, she had every reason to be in a bad mood.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

AnnieInsight

Callie stared wide-eyed at the man claiming to be her uncle and she whispered back to Alexa.  "I had no idea I even had an uncle.  But he very well could be...he looks a lot like Papa!"

She gave him a good once over and liked what she saw.  She missed her father so much, and it was apparent that this man could be her Papa's brother.  So why didn't she know about him?  She pondered this fact and decided that it didn't really matter.  He was here, wasn't he?

But she also noted the change in Alexa's demeanor.  She seemed like an animal with her hackles raised.  She obviously didn't trust him...but why not?  Callie thought she was being absurd.  This man just saved their lives!

AnnieInsight

The man did as Alexa wished and walked right over to her without so much as a backward glance.  He picked up on her defiant stance and quickly apologized.

"I didn't mean any harm, miss.  I was just trying to help you two from harm."  He took Alexa's hand in his own and kissed it, bending down to one knee as he did so.  "Will you ever forgive me?"

When Alexa just stared at him, dumbfounded, he straightened up and decided to introduce himself.  "I'm known as Flynn.  Calliope is my niece, although she doesn't know it.  I'm pleased to make your aquaintance,"  he said.

zozee9

Looking at her hand as if there was poison on it, Alexandra didn't even know what to think. Callie seemed to trust the man completely, so Alexandra had to be extra wary. Staring Flynn in the eyes, Alexandra said, "I'm known as many things. However, you will know me as Alexandra. As for you history and why Calliope doesn't know you... well, don't think you can escape that. But for now, I am grateful you saved our lives. So thanks."

Sighing, Alexandra didn't have any energy to fight. In general, she could run for quite a bit longer before getting tired. She was used to running. But using a more complex illusion (even though it would seem simple to any who heard it) had drained her. And her foot was killing her. God, she really had to fix her foot. Especially if they really did have a few more days to travel... Wait, Alexandra thought. Do we have to travel with Flynn now, too?! Ugh...

Turning towards Callie, Alexandra asked, "Am I right in remembering you said you could use your music to heal?" Glancing down at her foot, Alexandra quickly took off her shoe. Her ankle was swelling. A lot.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

AnnieInsight

Callie gasped when she saw Alexa's foot.  "Wow, how in Heavens did you do that?  No wonder you're grumpy.  You're hurt!"  Callie cried.  Then turning to Flynn, she shrugged.  "I know I'm supposed to formally introduce myself, since we don't really know each other...but I've got to tend to my friend first.  This won't take long,"  she explained.

Sitting beside Alexa, she took a measured breath as if to mentally gather herself for this task.  Starting with the key of E, Callie sang softly of warmth and positiveness.  Her voice carried through Alexa's mind right away, causing the tendrils of healing to flow through her ankle as well.  The hurt began to subside a little, but not much.  Callie picked up on this and changed to the key of G, making the web stronger.  Callie's song suggested that Alexa's foot was in a basin of cool water mixed with menthol herbs to soothe and cleanse the pain away, at least that's what it felt like to her.  Callie rocked her song back and forth, massaging Alexa's ankle with sound until the pain was gone.  Then she finished up with an image of Taurus strength, pushing into Alexa's mind the truth of being able to walk again.  

"There, that should do it.  Do you feel like you can stand up and try out your ankle?"  Callie asked Alexa.

AnnieInsight

Flynn had never in his life heard something as beautiful as Calliope's healing song.  He closed his eyes and reached with his mind the love he felt for her.  Of course, he would never share that thought with anyone...not even his own mother.  But Calliope was special, a prize gift to him.  He only hoped he wouldn't do something stupid and ruin it.

When she was done, Fynn opened his eyes and looked at his niece with wonder.  "How did you learn how to sing so well, Calliope?  I mean, I know you've been to school...but Gods!  You make it seem so natural!  I'm so proud of you, honey,"  he gushed.

zozee9

Oh, how Alexandra loved magic. Especially in this instance. The song was beautiful, and the pain subsided almost immediately. Hesitant at first, Alexandra slowly stood up and walked around in a few circles.

"Amazing," Alexandra said quietly. Callie's magic not only calmed the swelling and pain of Alexandra's foot, it also calmed her mood and actually gave her some energy. Smiling, Alexandra ignored the uncle fawning over his niece and walked around a little more.

When she was finally convinced that her ankle had fully healed, Alexandra put her shoe back on. Then she remembered that her shirt was covered in dirt, bark, and hair dye. And they had to get to Cerenis (although not just to replace her shirt). Standing up and turning towards Callie and her uncle, Alexandra said, "I hate to ruin the moment but we better get going to Cerenis. Although it's unlikely that guy will follow us with that energy, he might have some friends that will. Some bounty hunters work alone and some work in groups. I don't know about you guys, but I don't really want to wait and find out."

Pausing, Alexandra looked up at the sun. It didn't seem like they had lost much more than an hour since they left camp. Perhaps two hours total. And with the crazy early time Callie had decided to be a rooster, this was about when Alexandra got up normally.

"You'll have plenty of times to share stories and get to know each other when we walk. I don't really know about either of you two," Alexandra said while staring at Flynn, "but we're going to be stuck together for a few days. I want to understand the situation I'm in." Alexandra already had the gist of Callie's situation, but she had no idea what Flynn was like. Even in a good mood she was still suspicious of him. The stalker uncle.

AnnieInsight

Before Callie could say a word, Fynn jumped in and saved the day.  Or so he thought.  

"I know a great shortcut to Cerenis, we should really take that way since Alexandra is a little afraid of these boogeymen after her.  We won't be seen if you follow me,"  he reasoned.  "Besides, I'm the ringleader now.  I'm the protective male and you two are the two innocent vixens in distress,"  he shrugged.  "Makes perfect sense to me."

He steered the girls farther into the woods as he talked.  "So, Calliope.  Yes, I'm your uncle...I'm your father's brother.  And the reason you hadn't known of me until today was because your parents just failed to mention my existence.  I'm kind of the outcast of the family, doing things my way instead of the tried and true ways of your family."  he explained.  "I'm not a bad guy, though.  I just didn't conform to the ways of the Great Granthropes."

After a while, they came to a clearing on the southside of the village of Oakbrook.  Fynn knew this area like the back of his hand, and he had no trouble pointing out landmarks he knew to the girls.  "I'm kinda thirsty.  How 'bout you two?  Want some ale?"

AnnieInsight

Callie nodded and smiled.  Thank Heavens Uncle Fynn showed up when he did, she thought.  I don't know what I would have done without him.  "Thanks, Uncle Fynn!  I've had ale at School before and I'd like some.  How about you, Alexa?"  she turned to her friend and found her scowling.  

What was with her?  She didn't have any more ankle troubles, Callie was sure of it.  But something about Alexa was amiss...something Callie couldn't quite put her finger on.  It was almost like the presence of her new uncle was pissing her new friend off.  But why?  True, they really didn't know him....but he was family, for pete's sake!  He couldn't be all that bad, not in Callie's mind.

zozee9

Afraid of these bogeymen? Innocent vixens? Distress? Alexandra's good mood: ruined.

Callie believed in him. Completely. That meant Alexandra would have to speak to him alone. Scowling, Alexandra made sure the uncle understood he wasn't trusted. For all she knew, he wasn't even Callie's uncle! And yet Callie gave in to him so quickly. Shaking her head, Alexandra didn't know why her new friend was so easy to give away trust.

"No thanks. I don't drink ale," Alexandra explained. Smiling, Alexandra decided to play it nice. Even though she didn't trust the Fynn, she couldn't do anything about it now. Might as well enjoy the time they had to spend together.

Or not. "So... Fynn... let me get straight to the point," Alexandra started with a cold, fake smile. "Why were you following us?"

AnnieInsight

Fynn, seeing right through Alexandra's smile for how she really felt, was taken aback.  What a rude little bitch, he thought.  Here I am sweating my balls off trying to make nice and she's acting like I'm attacking her!  He started making plans right then and there to get rid of her.

Fynn matched Alexandra's cold smile.  "Calliope is family.  Of course I want to know how she's doing, so I've been following you guys to make sure your trip to Cerenis was safe.  It's a good thing I've been watching you two...you haven't forgotten the trouble you got yourselves into back there in the woods?"  he raised his eyebrow, quietly challenging her.

AnnieInsight

Callie smiled warmly at her uncle.  "You're so sweet, Uncle Fynn.  How thoughtful of you!"  she gushed.  She finally felt needed in the way she never felt at School, she felt like she was loved.  

However, she was puzzled greatly by the relationship building by her uncle and her friend.  Why were they so at odds with each other?  Alexa just didn't see how cool this was, Callie thought.  She wasn't an expert at reading body language, but she knew it was obvious that Alexa did not like Uncle Fynn.  At all.  What she couldn't figure out was the reason why.  Uncle Fynn had been nice enough to rescue them from ultimate peril and was offering to take them all the way to Cerenis...that's not a reason to hate him!  Callie just couldn't figure Alexa out.

zozee9

"Ah..." Alexandra started. "No, I didn't forget how you appeared out of nowhere like the knight in shining armor. And if you wanted to check on your beloved niece, why didn't you join us right away? Instead, you follow us until we need you. Isn't that a bit... oh, I don't know... suspicious?"

Alexandra picked up the pace, wanting to get to Cerenis as quick as possible. She knew she was in one bad situation. Alexandra promised Callie she would travel with her until Callie found somewhere safe to settle down. And although Callie probably trusted her uncle enough to stay with him, Alexandra didn't. Because she also promised to keep Callie safe. Maybe the creepy stalker uncle was safer than her. But until she knew every last thing about him, she wasn't going to let him have her.

AnnieInsight

At that, Callie rounded on her friend.  "Y'know what?  You're being awfully standoff-ish to my uncle.  I don't know what's the matter with you, but you need to work on your attitude.  Pronto."  she hissed through clenched teeth.  Turning to her uncle, she gave him a sheepish grin.  "I'm really sorry about Alexa.  Apparently she has some trust issues."

Callie was thrilled that her Uncle Flynn had come to save her and Alexa.  Hell, she was thrilled that she now had an Uncle Flynn that came and saved her.  He was strong willed and even a little handsome, and Callie felt her heart flutter when she thought how lucky she was to gain his presence in her life.  But there was one little guy he had left to meet.  She took off her backpack and reached inside, carefully lifting out the very sleepy Widget.  

"Look, Widgie!  We have an uncle!"  she said as she held him up to Flynn.

AnnieInsight

Fynn almost rolled his eyes at the smelly ferret but stopped himself just in time.  I'd forgotten about her ferret.  I can't stand ferrets, he grumbled silently.

He worked at pasting a smile on his face at the sight of Widget.  "Ahh, what a cutie," he purred.  Taking the animal into his arms, he faced Alexa.  "Well, now...is that what you're worried about?  Being suspicious?  After all this time watching you, I could ask you the same thing.  So let me ask you this...how come your hair is brown now?  When Callie first met you, it was white."  he stated matter of factly as his eyes bored into Alexa's.  "Seems to me, that's suspicious behavior if I ever saw it."

zozee9

My hair?! thought Alexandra. He's worried about my hair?

Laughing at the ridiculousness of it all, Alexandra replied, "My hair changing colors is suspicious? My hair dye just washed out, that's all." At least that meant he hadn't watched them bathe. "And yes, I'm suspicious. I'm probably more dangerous to be around than you. But until I know that for sure, I'm going to stay with Callie. Feel free to come with, perhaps that will allow us both to keep an eye out for each other."

Then, turning to Callie, Alexandra started to calm down. "I don't mean to be harsh, but your uncle is kind of being standoff-ish to me, too. The fact is, Callie, traveling with either of us was probably a bad decision on your part. I have a feeling your uncle isn't innocent, but neither am I. I already warned you about that. But perhaps Fynn could tell us about the dangers following him? I need to know what to prepare for."

Alexandra ignored the trust issues part. She had some things to say to that, but they'd all add more tension and annoyance. Listening to the woods, Alexandra was glad she still could hear anybody following them. At least Fynn seemed to be taking them on a safe path.