Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Calling All Rapscallions

Started by XIII, July 24, 2012, 10:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XIII

The wagon had finally came to a halt, the horse collapsing in the road some half a mile from town. Taking a sack of food from the wagon, Donovan made the rest of the trip on foot. He was certain by now that he would have gotten far enough away from the location of his defeat to not have been followed easily. Stepping under the eaves of a produce stand, he slung the bag up onto the counter and asked if he could get any money for the contents.

The shop owner didn't seem to understand the man's accent, and Donovan sighed heavily as he made to repeat himself. "Ah. Wud. Lahk. Tae. Nou. Ef. Ah. Cahn. Ge'. Aneh. Cines. Fer. Thes. Thins."

The man nodded slowly more out of understanding than affirmative, and began looking through the bag, judging its contents and whether they would be worth anything to him. Donovan still had a little money, but he knew that he would need more. He was going to need to hire some muscle to find the next sword.

People were starting to move through the streets more heavily now as business began to pick up. Donovan watched for guards and Mordecai with wary eyes, ready to bolt at a moment's notice.

Penfeather

In an alley, two clear blue eyes watched the market rise to life. A tailtip twitched, paws kneaded the cobblestoned ground. Where shall we feast this morning? the cat asked himself. Hauling himself to his feet, he stretched and yawned in a manner only a cat could do. Let us survey our kingdom, shall we?

Tau kept to the shadows as best he could, weaving between the legs of people and darting from stall to stall. His ears were alert for any sign of those blasted tracker dogs. They usually didn't bother the nymph, often passing him off as a simple cat or another citizen - that didn't mean that they didn't get on Tau's nerves. This day seemed tracker free, though, much to his content.

As the cat skulked around the market, damp footprints were left in his wake. While not terribly obvious, they would've come off as odd had anyone cared to notice them. Tau didn't care, though - he was clever enough to escape anything that came his way, be it tracker or guard or angry stall owner.

Hmm... fruit sounds divine, he mused, spotting a produce cart. Not many people were buying the man's food at the moment, so Tau - relying on the distraction that customers provided - found an out-of-the way place to hunker down and wait for more hustle and bustle. Curling up beside a wooden crate not too far from the produce cart, he watched. And waited.

XIII

The hair's on his neck began to stand up as he talked to the shop keeper. Donovan felt... watched. He barely heard the stand's owner as he began looking around, searching for the culprit of the feeling that was now climbing his spine like a cat. It took him several seconds to pinpoint the source. He noticed a small creature like that looked like a cat, but seemed off in its shape staring somewhat hungrily at the stand itself. But there was something else in the thing's eyes that Donovan noticed, and it interested him. The thing looked intelligent.

Seeing the meager coin offered by the shop keeper, Donovan decided that it might be beneficial for him to aid the small creature in getting some food. After all, any friends in a place like this were better than none at all. Looking directly at the small cat, Donovan flashed a rare smile and a wink, both of which he hoped looked as sly as he wanted them to.

Donovan slammed his hands down onto the counter, sending a few fruits rolling off onto the ground. His speech was unintelligible as he shouted, his only discernible words being 'cheap ass.' The distraction would prove enough for the creature to grab as many of the fallen fruits as he wanted without attracting attention.

Penfeather

Tau watched the human glance around, then turn to lock eyes with him. Blinking lazily, the cat merely stared in response. Nothing to see here, he thought to himself. Just a cat. Continue on, good sir. Continue on.

Then the human winked.

If Tau had had an eyebrow to raise, he would've done so. Lacking said facial features, he simply blinked. What was this game, now? A human had winked at him? Surely the poor sap was delirious, or delusional. Winking at a cat? Tau's tail flicked curiously as the human turned back to the stall and began making quite the ruckus. In his rampage, the man knocked fruits from the stall, and they rolled into the street. Tau was on them in an instant.

Leaping from his crate, he snatched one of the crisp fruits in his mouth. Another he pushed in front of him with his paws like a ball. He herded his prizes into the nearest alleyway, wondering what game the man had been playing.

Ah, well - that would be dealt with once this meal was finished.

Remaining in cat-form in case prying eyes were about, Tau left damp pawprints in his wake as he trotted father down the alley. A low wall obstructed his path, and it was here he decided to enjoy his feast. Settling down with one fruit nestled between his paws, he began to eat.

An odd human, that one, he thought as he bit into his prize.

XIII

Donovan breathed slowly, letting the slight raise in his heartbeat die down. He didn't want to actually get angry here and attract unneeded attention. It seemed that the shopkeeper wanted the exact same thing, as he began forking over more coins in what he meant to be a placating gesture.

It appeared, to the shopkeeper at least, to work as the red haired swordsman became visibly calmer. Taking the coins, Donovan nodded and gave a half-hearted apology for his behavior, blaming it on an ex-wife or something to that effect.

Turning so that he could observe where the cat had been moments ago, Donovan took carefully slow steps so that maybe he could catch a glimpse of the creature.He caught more than a glimpse, as he noticed the cat eating quite blatantly in the middle of an alley.

Donovan took a careful step down the narrow passageway between buildings, his feet making next to no noise as he inched closer to the creature. He didn't want to startle it away, but he knew what it would look like to other people if he casually strolled down the alley, talking to a cat. This was still mage-hunter's territory, after all.

Penfeather

Ohoho, how delicious the fruit was - tasting all the better for how easy it was to obtain! Tail flicking contentedly, Tau congratulated himself on a job well done. Biting off manageable pieces, he was nearly too absorbed in his feast to notice the man approaching him.

Nearly, but not quite.

Ah...? The odd human. Tau paid no more than a second's acknowledgement to the man, before turning his attention back to his meal. He ears remained perked, however, and his muscled tensed. He was ready to flee at a moment's notice, if need be. Sure, the human had gotten him a free feast, but that meant nothing to Tau. He was still a human - in Connolaoth, no less - which meant he was not to be trusted.

All senses trained on the man, the feasting cat prepared to leap away, if the situation called for it.

XIII

Donovan slowed his pace down to a crawl, his feet barely moving inches with each step. His hands were up now, his palms open nonthreateningly. He didn't attempt to smile, remembering past attempts at such a gesture looking more like a grimace or a scowl. Certain that he was far enough down the alley that his voice wouldn't carry into the street, Donovan began speaking in as soft a tone as he could manage.

"Thar ye goh, lil guy. Ah'm no eer ta hart ye. Magic fands magic, aye? Ye an Ah, we be both in nehd o frans in a place lahk thes."

Penfeather

Tau turned his full attention to the man as he turned his palms out. His ears were perked, his eyes were alert, his body was tensed to spring. The sweet aroma of the fruit begged for attention, requiring a dip of the head and a small nibble. Tau complied, but never once took his eyes off the approaching man. He didn't look terribly threatening, but one could never tell, anymore. Nothing seemed very fleet or agile about this man.

The cat jerked when the man began to speak, not expecting words. After a moment of bestial panic, he focused back on the human's strange voice. His feline head tilting to one side, then the other. He blinked. What odd speech for the odd human...

Peering sharp blue eyes up at the man, Tau dared to speak. [Human,] he said telepathically, projecting his voice at the man. [You are in an alley, speaking to a cat. A cat that wants nothing to do with you. A cat who is speaking back at you.] Rising to his paws, he stretched languidly before sitting regally and curling his tail around his paws. [I think you are delirious, human. Drunk out of your mind. Take your odd speech and your alcohol somewhere else. Rest until your visions of talking cats haunt you no more.]

Truth be told, Tau was curious. Who was this man, and how did he see through Tau's disguise with such ease? The obvious threat of Mordecai nagged at the back of his mind, but for now he waited to see how the man would react to his words.

XIII

"Ah'll teel ye wan thin. Ah've ne'er ad a drahnken 'allusenashun rashinlize etself ta meh. And Ah hivn't had a drenk en o'er a wehk, than ye veereh moch. Ah los wan o mah magic sards ta a Mardecai. Lahk Ah sehd, magic fands magic, an Ah'm sertin tha Ah ain' allusenatin."

The swordsman continued to step forward slowly, his eyes narrowed in determination as he spoke through gritted teeth. His hands slowly went to the task of opening his cloak, showing off the solitary sword in the double scabard. Drawing the first inch or so of the blade out, he allowed the magical aura it let off to be freed, hoping both that the cat could sense it and that none of those blasted magic smelling dogs were nearby.

Penfeather

[Fair enough. But what exactly do you want fr--] He broke off as the man revealed a bit of his sword. Blue eyes widening, Tau's ears perked. [Oh...? What have we here?] He rose to his paws and stretched his neck towards the man, sniffing curiously. [Fascinating...] Returning his focus to the strange-voiced man, Tau narrowed his eyes. [As I was saying before, what do you want from me? I'm no warrior, human - what good am I to you, hm?]

As he spoke, Tau never let his guard down. He still didn't know who this man was - people who advocated magic were few and far between in Connolaoth. The last thing he needed was a Mordecai slapping iron cuffs on him, or a Tracker dog chasing him through town.

XIII

Donovan sheathed his blade, relaxed that the cat seemed to at least accept that he was a mage as well. He understood the creature's wariness. They were in hostile territory, the both of them, and it would only take a single slip-up to send them both to their deaths. Aye, Donovan thought to himself, like killing half a dozen guards and losing a magic blade to a Mordecai.

Partially so that he could further block the alley from possible prying eyes, Donovan opened his cloak further and pointed to the empty scabbard on his belt. His voice was a harsh whisper now, audible only to the swordsman's conversation partner.

"Ah'm no lukin fer a foiter. Johs a fran. A fran tha don 'tract moch atenshun. Lahk a cat. Ah lahs wan o mah sards ta a Mardecai, as Ah've awradee sehd. Thar's anothar wan 'ere in Connlaoth, an Ah wan ta fand et. Ah'm wellin ta pay ye, if'n ye wahn meh ta. Cine, fuhd, bahls o streng. Anathin."

Penfeather

[Balls of... string.] Tau blinked, and would've raised an eyebrow had he had them. [...Human. While I appreciate your humor, part of me is concerned that you might think I am actually a cat. If this is indeed the case, I should strongly suggest otherwise.] Jumping down from the crate, he took two careful steps towards the man. Damp pawprints were left in his wake - the crate he had been perched upon was more than a little wet. From his spot on the ground, he peered into the man's eyes. [I should give humans the benefit of the doubt, really, but you really are such dull creatures.]

Before the man had any time to reply, the 'cat' had turned and leaped onto the crate, resuming his previous pose. [I suppose I could help you, though. For food, most likely - humans have the best food. Coin doesn't interest me, and, unfortunately, neither does... string.]

XIII

Donovan shook his head as he watched the cat's motions. He made sure to keep an eye on how close his new companion was to any routes of escape, but figured by this time that he had no need to worry about whether or not the creature was going to run away.

"Ah know ye ain no cat. Yer moch mohr. But ifn et's fuhd ye wan, then Ah'll ge ye awl th fuhd ye can stan ta eht. An once we've fuhnd th sard, th pahr o us can go oor separt wehys. Ye'll no ave ta warhy bout meh endangerin ye anymahr."

Dropping his cloak, the man frowned a bit inwardly. Food seemed far too easy of an asking price for the job that the two of them would be undertaking. Still, if that was what this creature wanted, the man was not about to argue. He would just have to make money along the way, because he almost knew that his lack of actual skill at cooking would not satisfy his partner's desire for the best food. So odd jobs while he researched legends and rumors. Fine. And maybe picking up a few more allies along the way.

Penfeather

[Ah, good. Good. Thank you for being one of the less dense of your kind.] He nodded once, an odd gesture for a cat. [My name, for whatever purpose, is Tau. It is nothing more than a name, you cannot control be by its use - not that I suspect you of trying such.] Stretching like only a cat could, he stood and surveyed the man before him.

[Hrrrm... I help you, you give me food, we find your trinket, I never see you again. So far I don't see a downside, if you ignore the blatant threat of Mordecai.] Once again stepping down from his crate, Tau walked up to the man and twined himself around his feet in regular cat fashion. A low purr resonated from his chest as he made damp prints on the stone around him. [Very well, human. I will help you. Where shall this grand adventure begin?]

XIII

"A pleshor ta meht ye, Tau. Ah'm Donovan. Ah s'pose weh'll nehd ta start by fahndin a plece ta stehy. Somewhar thas no an alleyway."

Turning to leave the alley, Donovan pretended to not nitice the cat as he took slow, careful steps back towards the street. Reaching into his coin purse, he counted out the money that he had left. Enough for a week's worth of food for two people. But not nearly enough for a down payment on even a shack. So squatting it would be.

"Do ye know o ehny 'bandoned buildings round here? Canno afford a plece ta lehv, so we'll
be ave ta squat."

Penfeather

[Donovan], the cat replied. [Charmed.] He pranced along, keeping to the man's shadow as they left the alley. Tail held high and confident he wouldn't be stepped on, he thought aloud. [Abandoned building, abandoned building... hm... There are always the slums available; run-down old shacks that are barely staying together. Scores of humans living there, like animals.] He laughed to himself, flicking an ear. [Worse than animals, I would think. Stealing from one another, destroying what little their neighbor has only to better their own situations for a short time...] He was silent for a moment, then continued.

[There is always the church, you know. Their doors are open to 'anyone who so asks', or so they say. I've stayed multiple nights myself, when not... about.] This was true. During colder months, Tau would spend nights in the church when his cat form would not protect him against the frigid night temperatures. He had little to fear there, so long as he didn't actively use magic - which meant no shapeshifting.

XIII

The swordsman wrinkled his nose at both suggestions, but knew that free housing would be his only viable option until he could start making more money. After a few moments of chewing over his two options, and realizing that a haven for mage hunters would not be the place to go, he spoke up while making sure to keep his voice low enough that it would not carry. "Ah'd rather no go nehr a cherch. That micht be pohstars o meh ohp en soch pleces. Th sluhms et'll be then. Anehwan trahs ta stehl fram meh, Ah'll gut em."

Donova's eyes shifted down the streets that he passed, keeping an eye out for potential wanted posters or mordecai who might be looking for him. Every so often, he would turn down a random street and follow it for a bit. Each street was slightly dirtier than the last, with the buildings looking proportionally shabbier with the growing filth. He was actively looking for the slums, or somewhere along his path that would serve as a temporary home. It wouldn't need to be glorious. Just a recluzive place with a roof and some sort of escape route, should the need for one arise.

Penfeather

[Gut them, hm? Might have to make sure it doesn't come to that, then. Sound unnecessarily... messy.]

Tau's tail drifted lazily from side to side as he led the swordsman away from the market and down a side street. Pawprints trailed behind him, damp spots soaking into the dirt after a few seconds. After a few moments of silence, he spoke. [Human], he began, not breaking his pace. [Donovan. How did your other sword come to be held by the Mordecai, precisely?] Sauntering through an alley, he leaped over a pile of garbage before slowing near the alley's end. [I'm assuming it has something to do with why you have wanted posters, yes?]

{OOC: I should be back in the saddle here in a day or so - thank you so much for being patient. D:}

XIII

Donovan kept up his pace with the cat that he followed, frowning at everyone who passed and generally making himself appear to be an unpleasant fellow to talk to. People were less likely to remember a cheerless bastard than someone who looked even remotely approachable. He also kept his eyes directly off of his guide, knowing that actively following a cat was grounds to get guards called on you in a place like this.

Listening to what his new companion had to say was simple enough. But the swordsman kept his mouth shut while around other people, wary of any meddlesome ears who might hear a bit too much.

Once the two of them were clear of any real people however, Donovan spoke up, his voice a croaking whisper that he knew the cat would even have some trouble hearing. "Th' sard's sahmwot senient. As a mahnd o ets own. Et saw th Mardecai as a mohr warthee owner than Ah. Sah et lef meh fahr 'im. Th Bas'ard."

Penfeather

A cautious head peeked around the corner of the alley as Tau checked for a clear path of travel. When the man began to speak, he paused to listen to every hushed word. [Sentient, hm?] When a break in milling traffic showed itself, the cat darted across the cobblestones and into the alley directly across. Once safely in the shadows of the narrow alley, he turned and waited for Donovan to cross. [If it chose the Mordecai over you - and assuming you do reclaim it eventually - what's to say that it won't see you as worthy and leave you once again?] There was no mocking or ill meaning in his tone; he was merely curious.