Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Between Portals (Open)

Started by wolfie, July 28, 2012, 04:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

"No need to owe me. I don't like seeing others in pain I'll gladly look," she said before morphing into her dragon form.

I look forward to seeing that city. Up I go. I'll be back before you know it. She thought into the Vampire's mind. She didn't invade minds and did her best to give other's privacy.

Up Alerri went not remembering the last time she was in the skies. She loved flying and wondered if there would be a way for her to do so without being found out by humans. She had a feeling there wouldn't be though. Putting this from her mind she scouted ahead to see if there was anything that would hide her new friend.

About five miles away she found a nice cave. It was a little high up, but it would protect the Vampire from the sun. She sighed and shook her head wondering how to get the woman up there. All in due time. She thought then headed back to find where Syrianne was.

Once she found the Vampire she started to guide her. It wasn't too long before they were at the base where the cave was.

The cave is up above. It's not easy to reach, and there isn't much cover. The only way I can think of getting you up there is for me to carry you. If I keep you close to the rocks it should hide you from the sun. What do you think? Alerri shared not sure of this plan. It was all she had though. She had no idea how to go between.

Syrianne

Syrianne was stunned by the voice she heard in the privacy of her own mind for a second. She sighs realizing this was only her young Dragon Friend. While she was no expert at mind listening, she knew how to protect herself from this and appreciated the fact Alerri was taking precautions when doing so. The vampire then quickly kept walking and followed the provided direction.

Syrianne listened to the plan carefully and noded. She was still in shape but no need to say: she would have to drink on the next night to recover from that adventure. To travel with no packages had that downside: no cloack to cover, nothing to protect her...

- So, let's go!

As they reached the cave, Syrianne could feel her arms and back burned by the sun. Nothing too serious but her skin seemed abnormally dry as they entered in the cool cavern. She sat, layed her back on the not-so-comfortable wall and smiled at the Dragon.

She gave Alerri a moment to make herself comfortable, whatever the form she decides to keep, and then she begins to explain...

- Humans, like many other kind of creatures, live in villages or cities. They are agglomerations of people who usually decide to live and work in and for those places. A house can be compared to a nest made of wood or else, that can be raised pretty high and that is covered by a roof... Most have a house of their own to live in and protect their families. As of the chimney, they are made of brick. You could think of them as miniature towers raising over the house. As humans need to keep themselves warm or cook their food, they use fire and these little towers, if we may say, are used to evacuate the smoke. They are usually easier to spot from distance than a house itself.

She closed her eyes a second, trying to remember what else confused the young Dragon...

- Oh a Inn is a place where travelers can stop, drink, eat and sleep. It's way more then that overall... It's the beginning for every good adventure. You meet a lot of different persons in Inns and some are of good company while some aren't!... It makes me think: I can't be offended by your other new friend who left! Young Vampires are the ones most see and are often also the more clumsy. They have a huge lack of respect for anything as they have a hard time managing all the new responsibilities and needs. When you wake up in the morning for the first time, so hungry hatred blinds you entirely, you usually think things will never change. However, they do change since, like everything else in life, a balance is necessary to survive. Also, few of these young Vampires live for long. They are too noisy, sure no one will ever find them or be able to put them down... Blinded by their power lust and their thirst for blood, they usually forget they are also fragile and can be put down. And then one day, surprise! They disappear forever.

The Vampire chuckled as she ended that sentence and added with an amused smile...

- Damn, I'm old and I sound old... Ahah! And you, Alerri, where are you from?

wolfie

Once in the cave Alerri switched back to her human form. It was smaller and easier to fit inside the cave. She sat nearby with her back against the cave wall. She listened to everything that the Vampire was telling her. She wanted to laugh about the houses.

"Sounds like I have a lot to see and experience still. I hope to see these cities, houses, and inns. I like meeting new people. Thank you for the knowledge any I can get is a comfort in my longing for a better education," she said knowing they would leave again when it got dark. She wasn't scared of the dark, but a friend to it.

"You don't look old to me. Besides with age comes wisdom. I'm from the mountains way up high near the caps. They couldn't appease my appetite for learning so I left. I can't wait to see what the world holds," she explained knowing she would be travelling for quite awhile.

Syrianne

Syrianne nodded at Alerri's explanation...

"Nothing more satisfying then discovering new cultures, believe me!"

Or was she bored to say this? Being so old, she saw so much. She almost envied the Dragon's curiosity.

She leaned her head toward the entrance, looking for a sign of civilisation. Smoke? A chimney? Anything. After a short moment of observation, she shrugs and announces...

"I guess we could head south..."

The sun was slowly moving down...

wolfie

Alerri nodded at this not sure how to respond. She felt so young sitting in a cave with someone who had seen much more and experienced beyond what she had. It made her wonder more about the woman resting not far away.

"While we wait on the sun to head south, did you choose to become a Vampire? Is it something that hurts?" She asked knowing she sounded naive. She couldn't help it though there was just too much out there she didn't know.

"If I offend I don't mean to."

Syrianne

Syrianne chuckled as Alerri asked if it hurts. She shook her head vigorously as Alerri asked if she was being offensive in any ways. She laid back against the cavern wall, lost in her thoughts for a few seconds, before answering...

- I don't recall... Honestly. I haven't chose to become one but to be adopted by a vampire saved my life. I was a child at that moment. He completed my education as he could before giving me the choice...

As the years passed by, details of her own life and history disappeared from Syrianne's memory. Like any other being forgetting unnecessary details, several of these were now missing.

- I don't remember if it was painful. I do remember however I was still hateful toward humans at that time. As a child, my desires weren't respected, I was used to bring more money or honnor to the family. I lived a lie until I killed my future husband. I was scared, angry. A man more then twice my age. I was able to leave my home and I ran away to hide. As the authorities were about to find me back the next day, he found me first.

Syrianne turned at Alerri, showing a disgusted smirk while adding...

- Now that I come to think about it... I still am pretty disgusted by most humans.

Her voice was betraying bitterness. It was, for the vampire, a good enough reason to not leave a young Dragon out there alone. While not being really used to their companionship, she felt through the few she met that they deserve her respect.

wolfie

Alerri watched and listened to the older woman. She wondered if she would make an interesting vampire, but dismissed the thought. She was already special in her own way there was no need to add more to it. She would always stand out too, but in a different way.

"I know what its like not to be appreciated by your own kind. My curiosity toward humans makes me stand out against them. Most just want to be the greatest dragon of all time. Me I want to learn something of this world. I know it won't be easy," she said lowering her eyes to the cave floor. She realized it was the first time she told anyone that.

Alerri felt alone again. She wasn't ever at home no matter how hard she had tried. Now she had a reason not to have a home. She wondered if they even realized she was gone.

Syrianne

"I know what its like not to be appreciated by your own kind. My curiosity toward humans makes me stand out against them. Most just want to be the greatest dragon of all time. Me I want to learn something of this world. I know it won't be easy,"

Syrianne smiled at that phrase. She nods back calmly and turn her hear toward the entrance of the cage to look at the sky slowly turning orange.

- To learn is never easy. It'll need you to sometimes make mistakes, maybe even get hurt or be in danger. But the more you will learn the stronger you will be. I believe you chose the right path. To stay voluntarily blind to a complete universe, to show no interest for a civilisation shows a lack of ambitions. I didn't know your kind as such though...

She sighed but kept a weak smile on her lips...

- While we're at it, most don't see my kind for what it is! You saw this not too long ago... So Alerri!

She suddently semmed more energic and ready for action.

- Where do you want to head? A small village would be the best. And to find a place for you to sleep sooner or later would be of good interest. I'm also a bit tired myself and will need to stay calm, away from trouble, for the next day or so!

wolfie

Alerri listened and understood the words. Syrianne was trying to help the girl not feel so miserable and alone. It was something that the gal appreciated greatly. She didn't say anything about it but had a feeling she wouldn't need to.

"I think I did too. I'm not looking for easy I'm looking for answers. As for the dragons they pretty much leave well enough alone. Not all are like those I grew up with some were different, but I had a feeling I would have been shunned no matter which tribe I went to," she said hating the lot of them.

"Not everyone has an open mind toward beings. I'm learning this and was surprised she didn't have a problem with my kind as well. She was a strange one that one."

The dragon in human skin had to think about that. She wanted to see any and everything possible about humans. Learning was the name of the game now. She wondered if there was such a place where they could both stay out of trouble. She didn't think so.

"I'm game for anything. I do want to see new things, but if you need isolation I understand. I'll help in any way that I can," she said not sure that was wise. She didn't want to see if a vampire could really take on a dragon. She had a feeling it wouldn't be pretty if either tried to harm the other one. She was glad so far she hadn't need to be on the defense.

Syrianne

Syrianne listened to Alerri carefully. To not be accepted by her own kind wasn't a choice for the Dragon while Syrianne deliberately chose not to join any Vampire organization. Most of her own kind were pretty young compared to her and young meant annoying to the old demon who saw too many of her own blinded by their thirst and new powers. The few other really old Vampires she met in her existence were solitary too.

As Alerri mentioned "being isolated" Syrianne laughed. She simply replied...

- Oh no worries young one. A vampire and a Dragon coming as a duo in any place ensures by itself some action. However, as I'm not in the best of shapes, I would hate it if we would run into trouble without being able to help much.

Syrianne was aware of all the dangers out there and as thirsty as she might be, unless she found a "Vampire friendly" inn serving blood-related product, she would need to calm this thirst and avoid any useless loss of energy. While she usually wouldn't care, she was feeling responsible of the integration of the young Dragon in "the real world". She wanted to avoid any harsh experiences in the near future. And to see a Vampire feed is clearly not something young souls usually appreciate. Ironically, the fact the Dragon was hanging with a Vampire could be, itself, a source of problem. "I'm wondering what is worse for this poor thing. To be alone in this cold world or with me... Oh well, at this point we might as well pull the best out of this situation. We need both a safe place anyway!" she thought.

wolfie

Alerri was slowly making friends in this world. It was better than the world she had come from so far. She heard Syrianne laugh and then the reply.

"Don't worry about that if needed I'll just morph into my dragon form and that will be the end of any trouble. I've heard humans cower and run from dragons although I have no idea why. Do you?" She said still not understanding it. There wouldn't be any reason for her to understand that nobody preyed on dragons.

She wondered if there was anything she could do to help with that thirst of her new friend. She had a feeling there wasn't anything she could do unless she offered herself up and she wasn't about to do that. She didn't want to know what that was like and she wanted to live to see the next day. Each new dawn brought new understand for her.

Syrianne

While Alerri was pretty confident about her capacities against any future harrassers, Syrianne still wanted to avoid such situations for now. Both were completely new to these lands and the traditions.

- Well let me offer you the following: I understood you can easily poke people's mind am I right? We'll do the same and try to find any conversation that may lead us to a low quality Inn. why low quality? Because a rich place will probably not sell any mix of blood and wine or else! I'm sure we can find this together and as soon as I'll be in shape, we'll see what I can show you!

The sun was going down and down. Syrianne was feeling relieved. Her neck, arms and shoulders were burning from the previous risky move she did. She will feel way better under the reign of the moon. She knew it. She got used to the sun to be able to see some of her rare day living friends. It took months... Maybe years. And still, without something covering her skin entirely, she is never completely safe in day time.

wolfie

Alerri listened to what Syrianne was saying. Sure she could take on the attackers but why if one didn't have to. She appreciated that aspect of thinking. She considered the vampire to be very wise just like the elder dragons from home.

"Yes, I do have that capability but seldom use it. I was taught at home that a mind is private unless one invites you into it. I'll see what I can find though," she thought sending her mind off in several directions. She was gleaning what she could of minds and yet also could listen to what Syrianne might say if she were to say something more.

"I look.. forward to what.. you can show me," she said somewhat busy by the task at hand. It didn't mean she couldn't multitask though.