Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dead Men Tell No Tales (Clair)

Started by Lion, October 30, 2012, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Hanged Man's Hovel.

Really it was a lovely name for a pub, and a perfect place for a stranger looking to stay that way.  The stew was hot, the ale was cold and nobody cared who you were.  Yet it was the busiest hole-in-the-wall in this rat hole of a hamlet.  It was not a sleepy place as hamlets tend to be, rather lively and large enough to mark its place on a map, but the close-knit farmlands kept the place smelling like sheep's wool and pig shit, which a stranger gathered didn't do well for a visiting populace.

Yet such a setting was just what Thorn Blackburn was looking for.  Nobody seemed to care that he didn't live here as long as he wasn't causing trouble.  And he certainly had no intention of that.  Thorn mulled over his choice of hard liquor.  He'd forgotten what it was in that all he asked as for something dark and sharp as steel and stinging as ice.  Whatever it was, it was doing its job of making him forget his last job.  What a flop.  He gripped the tankard with a great deal of irritation and felt his head pound at the thought of it.  But he didn't know if it was the liquor or his aura reading that was giving him such a crasher.

At least there was one thing he could count on.  Nobody was going to be looking for him here.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

She had certainly not expected to find him here, in such a small and run down place. The only reason Penim had stopped was because the aching in her belly from the lack of food had exhausted her to the point of dizziness. Shaking her head, as if to shake off her feelings of disappointment over the fact that she would have to stop for the night, Penim entered and gave an audible sigh.

Penim paid her last few pennies for a cot to rest her head on and a bowl of soup and some bread. She didn't have enough for ale, but at least the bowl was large and the stew was hearty. She took a seat near the back of the room, closest to the fire, and pulled off her traveling cloak, bunching it up to create a make-shit cushion to sit on.

She ate her meal and immediately felt warmer and happier. Leaning back against the fire-warmed wood of the wall, Penim removed from her pocket her most prized possession. It was the size of her palm, rough and worn smooth by time. A pale gold wound and woven in an intricate pattern around a stone the color of the full moon in autumn. Taking the hem of her cloak, Penim cradled the amulet and gently began polishing the stone. All the while, she sang softly to it.

Lion

The woman that entered was as much a stranger to him as everyone else here, so he did not pay more attention to her than he should have.  But when she approached the bar to order her meal, she passed in front of him and there was a flash of a skull right before his eyes.  The image burned red before fading out and he turned his attention to the woman.  What the hell was that?

Her aura was sending all kinds of chaotic signals, and yet, there was a sense of exhaustion around her that was difficult to miss.  Thorn peered back down toward his tankard and frowned into the reflection he saw there before downing the rest of it.  As a fresh one came by agan, and he tipped the tender a silver coin he had, he turned back and veiwed the stranger that was taking to her stew in the back.

She pulled something out, a necklace of some sort, gold and a stone in the center of it.  Truly he didn't know what he was doing before he was doing it, and he suddenly found himself standing up with the mug in his hand and walking over to her.  It wasn't far since he was sitting somewhere in the middle of the room.  He stood beside her, leaning on a chair and watching her with an eagle's eye.

"That song," he said, taking a sip from the cold mug.  "What are you singing?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

Penim, so engaged in her singing started at the sound of the stranger's voice. She hadn't noticed him until he'd spoken. With a heavy sigh and a faint smile, Penim replied, "It's a lullaby from my tribe. Everyone knows it; it is sung to children from the time they are infants. It just makes me feel at peace when I am tired to sing it."

Her cheeks flushed slightly, embarrassed by how much she had said. "Forgive me. Was it bothering you? I can stop."

Lion

Thorn softened his expression, lowering his brows and remaining curious.  "Forgiveness is for blind men and fools," he remarked, looking out into the unwashed windows of the establishment.  "It was actually kind of nice," he said.  "You may continue."

Every sign was telling him something was off about this woman.  But not necessarily dangerous and he was about to take another sip when he paused and saw she had nothing to drink.  He held the tankard by the rim and offered it to her.  "Want a drink?  It's pretty cold out.  Best way to keep warm in a place like this."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Penim smiled, which brightened her beautiful face and nodded in thanks to the man. "Thank you," she murmured, taking the tankard and taking a few quick sips. "I didn't have enough pennies to get a drink. That does warm you up quickly." She handed it back with both hands.

"I'm Penim," she introduced herself, placing a hand on her chest. "And you are?"

Lion

She was striking to be sure and Thorn found himself smiling at her before taking back the tankard and drinking from it himself.  But his smile quickly faded as he turned his eyes back to this pig-slop hamlet, realizing finally where he was, but not really sure why he was here.  He caught her name, gazing back at her again.

"Thorn," he said, briefly.  "Thorn Blackburn.  Penim...that's quite an unusual name.  Where does it come from?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Her eyes widened at his name. Penim's breath caught a moment then she smiled broadly. "I've been searching for you, Thorn Blackburn." She laughed happily. "What luck. I never expected to find you here!"

Lion

Thorn's warm, conversational smile quickly vanished and his face visibly turned white.  Good gods, just when he thought he could have a moment's peace, there was somebody always looking for him.  He took a step back from her and eyed her speculatively.  "What for?" he said, squaring his shoulders and looking at her like a hawk to prey.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Penim reached out her hands as he stepped away, as if to pull him back. "I-I..." she tried to find the words. "I need your help finding someone... The man who killed my baby."

Lion

Thorn paused and softened his features, looking nothing more than bitter at another day at the office.  But at least it didn't seem like this one wanted to cut his throat open.  There was always a chance for that later anyway.

He took another drink from the tankard, the last of it and set it aside.  He leaned back against the wall and crossed his arms in front of his chest.  "So you heard about me then," he remarked, looking at her with those hawk eyes.  "Didn't you say you spent your last pennies on food, didn't even have a enough to buy a drink?  Well, then you ought to know, I don't work pro bono."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Her face fell and she nodded. "Yes, I had hear you don't do charity work," she murmured, staring down at her hands. "But I really need your help...Isn't there anything I can offer you, instead of money?"

Lion

Thorn might have been moved by her plight.  Those that came to him always needed his help, though he never really know just how much help they really needed themselves.  Thorn looked at her hands and saw the amulet she had been singing too.  "I don't know...what else do you have?" Thorn asked curiously.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

She glanced down at the amulet, knowing it was the only thing she owned. She could see her faint reflection in the surface of the polished stone. Giving a heavy sigh, Penim looked at him with tear-filled eyes. "This is the only thing I own..." she said, her voice shaking a bit. "I will give it to you, once you've helped me."

Lion

The waterworks...always the kicker.  He was not a man made of stone, to squeeze an ounce of moisture would be impossible.  But he was not easily moved and only frowned at the pittance of an offer she made.  He'd been jilted once, and he wasn't going to let that happen again.  Instead, he put on a humored grin and chuckled.  "You must take me for a fool to think make me believe in empty promises.  I don't believe that amulet could possibly be worth much more than a hundred gold coins...at best," Thorn remarked.

He scratched his stubbled face and cleared his throat.  "But...perhaps I can take a closer look?  And if all's well...if you allow me to hold on to it for the duration of the task, perhaps then...we have a deal."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Penim gripped it tightly and shook her head. "I couldn't let you do that... it's more precious than you understand..." slowly she offered it to him, "You may hold it but... not for good. I will need it at the end of our journey for just a few moments, to take from it what is mine. Afterwards, you can keep the amulet."

Lion

Thorn furrowed his brows, face softening to the strangeness of her words.  What could possibly be so special about something as trivial as an amulet?  He didn't make it any secret that he didn't quite understand what she was talking about, though he began to suppose that the amulet had some sort of sentimental value...possibly due to her dead child.  But it wasn't his place to question the whats, wherefores, and whys of a client's distinctions.  He just wanted to get paid.

"Well, I'll tell you what...you seemed to have come a long way to find me...  And I obviously came a long way not to be found, and look how well that worked out for me, I'll give it back to you when it's all over so you can do -  er, whatever it is, you wanna do with it.  But for now, it is mine," he said, but his face was clear in his honesty.  He put the chain around his neck and placed it in plain view for her to see, though he still put a part of his outer-coat around it so it wouldn't be so obvious. 

"Now, what kind of killer am I going to be looking for exactly?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Her heart leapt at the sight of him hanging the chain around his neck and she reached out her hands pathetically. Tears welled in her eyes and she squeezed them shut, spilling several tears. Sniffling she shook her head and nodded. "Then we have a deal," Penim said. "Thank you."

She wiped her tears away with her arm and cleared her throat before answering. "The kind of man who treats women like they are property, tools, things to be owned and thrown away."

Lion

Thorn chuckled at her description.  "If that's all you have to go on, then we are going to be looking for half the men in all the known world and the task then...would be very pricey.  Maybe more than this precious amulet of your is really worth.  Now, not to burst your bubble, but a description, physical and otherwise, would help immensely.  Oh and a name, of course."  He smiled at her and took a seat.

He peered at her swollen eyes.  "You look like you could use another drink.  Don't worry, Miss Penim, that'll be on me."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Penim couldn't help but chuckle at his joke and she nodded. "Unfortunately... I never knew his name. His mind was too busy with other things to mention his name," she spat bitterly. Penim took a moment to inhale deeply through her nostrils. "Yes, a drink would actually be wonderful... Mr. Blackburn."