Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dead Men Tell No Tales (Clair)

Started by Lion, October 30, 2012, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

He nodded and went to the bar to pay for two tankards of ice cold ale and he paid with a copper and returned to the table.  It was not much to go on, what she had said, but it was obvious that this particular client had more than a bone to pick with her target.  He didn't care, but he wasn't stupid.  He always knew there was more than what a client was telling him. 

"Here you go," he said, sliding the tankard toward her.  "Now what can you tell me about him?  How do you know him?  And...if you can, please hold yourself together."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

She took the tankard and nodded. "I didn't know him. I had never seen him before in my life. I was walking home with my daughter when he grabbed me. He killed her and..." Penim took a big gulp and sighed. "Well, it doesn't really matter what happened afterwards. He killed my daughter and that's why I need to find him... What I remember of him is scarce... He was tall, much taller than average, and he did not speak the same tongue as I. Not sure what language he spoke, but it was harsh, sounded angry even though he spoke very softly and almost... kindly. There was nothing more defining about his appearance, other than a red mark that ran down his left cheek. Like, a healing and recent scar."

Lion

Now, they were getting somewhere.  She was all right in skipping the beginning.  He didn't need to know all the details.  Just the important ones.  Thorn nodded and  found his expression grim at the thought of going after a child-killer but then again, this was just another day on the job.  She was narrowing it down, rather drastically and nodded in understanding.

"When was all this?" he asked.  "The last time you saw him, I mean."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

She bowed her head and sighed. "Three and a half years ago..."

Lion

Just when he thought this was going to be a quick snap and grab, Thorn found himself frowning severely as he peered his potential employer.  "That long ago?"  He couldn't help rolling his eyes that it took her this long to come about finding this killer.  "Prospects are not looking good for you, Miss Penim.  Three and a half years is a very long time.  For all I know, the man could be dust and bones in a hole in the ground.  How can you be sure he's even still alive?  That he's even still on the continent?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"I would have gone looking for him sooner," she sighed, "but it took me a while... to recover from the physical damage he left behind. And I've been tracking him since I got well again..." Penim stared down at her hands. "I know it's very little to go on... but this man destroyed the one thing I had left in the world..."

Lion

Thorn was silent for a time, unsure what to say.  Really there was nothing to say to that.  He didn't know what more the man had done, whatever his name.  Yet it sufficed that here there was a job to be done and he was damned if he was gonna let it go, even if it was for this dully, bent amulet.

"If that's all then, perhaps I should be on my way then, the sooner the better.  Shall I bring him to you alive or dead?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"I'm coming with you," Penim said quickly, grabbing his arm. "I'm not going to let you do this job alone."

Lion

He chuckled and scoffed a little, pulling his arm away.  "And what makes you think you're qualified to go on a dangerous manhunt?" he said, but he clearly wasn't asking for an answer.  "You just said yourself it took you months to recover from whatever it was that he did to you.  You need someone who can be on their feet at all times, ready to move now.  You never said you were coming along."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"He nearly beat me to death," she snapped. "It wasn't like I was just bruised a bit. I am coming with you; I am strong and able bodied."

Lion

Thorn forced himself to hite his lip in annoyance.  Just like a woman to get into a man's business, but then again, who was he to stop her.  "You must have some kind of death wish, Miss Penim, but it's your call," he said, finally resigning and snatching his arm away.  He reached up and tucked the amulet underneath his shirt.  "Let's get going then," he said, walking towards the door.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Penim jumped up immediately, her heart fluttering. She was finally going. Finally, after so long, she had some hope. Grinning ear to ear she followed her new companion out.

Lion

Thorn was grim, for he predicted the outcome of this was not going to be pretty.  But despite the bleak outlook, he'd never been the one to shy away, especially when it came to getting a job done.  After all, no job, no pay.  So he left the warmth of the pub, out into the cold of the village.  He didn't know where to start first, for she hadn't given him that much, but he knew any man in hiding would go to the place least likely where those would find him.  The first place he could think to look was the hovel of criminals itself.  So he began to walk south, towards Zantaric.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"Which way?" she asked, trailing behind him a few feet.

Lion

"The city of crooks," he explained.  "Zantaric.  A haven for slime of all kinds.  I've been there many times myself, but I never care to stick around.  Why, did you have a better place in mind?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"I think that would be as good a place as any to start," Penim said with a shrug. "Please be careful with my amulet."

Lion

Thorn only nodded.  Evening was settling in and perhaps night was not the most ideal time to be traveling, but it was better to get started as soon as possible.  And it wasn't something he'd never done before.   Thorn cast a glance behind him and reached a hand toward the amulet underneath his collar.  "Why all the worry?  It's just a piece of jewelry, relax."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"There is more soul in that piece of jewelry than you know," Penim murmured. "Please keep it safe... if it's damaged, I will kill you and carry on my search alone."

Lion

At her threat, Thorn stopped in his tracks and looked at her with threatened eyes.  "If that's the case, then why do you need my help in the first place?  How did you find me anyway?  Who sent you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"It's more difficult on my own," she said, staring at him. "Having help will make it easier tracking him."