Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dead Men Tell No Tales (Clair)

Started by Lion, October 30, 2012, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

He could understand that, but all the same, that unnerving feeling he had about this woman was starting to get to him again.  That little thing she wasn't telling him, that he didn't much care about before was starting to become a nuisance on his mind.

"How did you hear of me?  Who referred you?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

She shrugged. "From people. No one specific. Word of mouth travels quick. I asked people who I might call upon for help and they gave me your name."

Lion

He was starting to hate her vague answers and nonchalant responses, but he supposed he wasn't going to get anymore out of her.  He would wait though...and he would get the answers he wanted, even if she didn't care to divulge them.

"All right then," he said.  "Come along.  I think we need to talk more.  We can do so as we walk.  You see, this particular man you're looking for...I suppose he's very dangerous.  Why did he target you?  What makes you particularly special?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

"I doubt there is any reason that he targeted me," Penim said. "I'm not so special. I don't claim to be. He took nothing from me, save for the life of my child. I was just an easy target. I'm sure there have been other women he has taken, too. He probably killed those other women. Dangerous, yes, I would say so."

Lion

"From my experience, no man attacks someone else for no reason unless they are a complete fool, or completely demented," Thorn commented.  "Especially if this man is what I'm suspecting him to be.  You're very brave to want to do this, or very foolish, but that isn't for me to judge.  Most of these kinds of things happen by people who knew them.  Maybe you didn't know him, but maybe he knew you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Penim's brow furrowed. It had never occurred to her that she had been attacked for a specific reason. She'd assumed the man to be a random assailant. "I... wouldn't know why someone would target me. I had nothing. I was nothing."

Lion

Thorn put an apologetic hand on her shoulder, but his face only showed a shadow of sympathy.  Taking his hand away, and continuing along the path, Thorn said, "This...man, maybe he thought you had something worth taking, even if you didn't."

He looked around for a moment, the air growing colder, looking for someone who was listening.  When he found no one, he turned back to her.  "If you were looking for me, then you must know what I can do...  You didn't give me much in the pub, but if you would allow me to read your aura, then maybe that will give me much more to track him down with.  It will...involve reliving some bad moments.  But it will increase our chances greatly."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

She nodded quickly. "Yes," Penim said, "I know what you can do... to an extent. Some explained it to me, but it was difficult to understand it clearly..." she took in a heavy breath. "Will... there be any pain? I can handle it, but I just... want to prepare myself for it..."

Lion

Thorn wasn't truly sure about there being pain for others.  It was difficult to read a person's aura who clearly didn't want it to be read so that's what made it all the better to actually get permission first...and allowing someone to share his gift, well, he'd never tried that before, but if it meant progress, hell, he'd try anything.

"It might," he was all he said.  He carefully reached for her head, placing both palms on either side of her temples and began to concentrate, hard.  It took more than he anticipated as colors shot through both of their minds a rainbow of pain and delight.  He saw the image of a man she must have known, a lover, perhaps a husband.  Words would interrupt the connection, so he said nothing and dove deeper into her thoughts.  He saw a moment of pain, she was walking away from something, something that meant a great deal to her.  Exile?  Further still.  The child...must have been, she clung to her skirts in shyness...  But something was wrong.  A stranger.  He couldn't see his face very well, he struck violently, taking what he wanted.  Frankly it was more than he wanted to see, but he had to keep reading.

The man momentarily showed his face, scarred as she had described.  Thorn pressed the thought, rewound the memory, playing it over as he fought to reach the entity of the stranger.  He was dark, dangerous, demented, a killer to the core.  He had something printed on his neck, a small symbol but prominent painted red.  An X with a rose entwined around it.  He replayed the memory much to his horror and focused harder....  The rose...the X...what did it mean?  The Abbey of Gilhelm...

Finally Thorn let go of her, finding himself sweating and taking a step back staring at her with wide eys.  He was silent for a long time.  When he regained his composure, he wiped the sweat from his brow and wiped his hands clean from his sweaty palms.  "Does the Abby of Gilhelm mean anything to you?  A church maybe?  A sanctuary of some kind?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

It was like experiencing it all over again. All the love, the happiness, and then the feelings ripped away one by one, leaving pain and hatred. And even more pain, worse than anything, when the stranger attacked and killed her baby. All over again. Once again, she watched and could do nothing to stop the killer destroy her baby.

And then it was over. Penim staggered back a few steps, gasping and wiping the tears away from her eyes with her forearm. Taking a shuddering breath, she turned to Thorn. "Abbey of...Gilhelm?" Her brow furrowed and she shook her head. "I can't say I've heard of anything like that... What does it mean?"

Lion

Thorn looked at her for a moment and shook his head.  "I don't know.  It was a tattoo on the back of his neck.  I read a thought from him.  Something in his mind said the Abbey of Gilhelm.  Are you sure you don't know what it means?  No matter...I think I know a man who can help us find out.  He doesn't live too far from here.  Let's go."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Penim grinned and rushed to walk at his side. An excitement boiled in her stomach, giving her butterflies. "I can't believe, after so long, I'm so close."

Lion

Thorn felt annoyed at her assumption and glared at her.  They only just left the pub and he couldn't guarantee success. 

"You realize that there is as much chance of failure as there is of success right?  I might fail, and should I fail, I'll be forced to return what you own.  But the fact remains that we've only just begun.  We are close to nothing.  We haven't even reached the first road block.  That is of course unless you count yourself as one."  He glared at her and turned his eyes back to the front.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"I am closer to something," she said. "I feel like we actually have a shot." Shaking her head she walked ahead a little ways. "Why do men insist on ruining happiness of women?"

Lion

"Same way women insist on ruining the happiness of men, I suppose," Thorn retorted, thinking about it for a minute.  "Men and women will never truly understand each other and the day they do...the world will end."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Penim tipped her head back, laughing heartily. Her true laugh warmed her cold appearance entirely, she appeared more beautiful when she laughed. "Aye, that'll be the day when we have to worry for."

Lion

"Indeed," Thorn said, not quite as amused, with only a whisper of a grin.  "But first let's worry about catching this bastard.  You must understand something however, for my sake and for yours, you must realize that we many miles behind.  I'd just as wager my pay that the bastard is dead."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"If he is dead, than half of my goal is completed for me," she said. "Can I ask you... of your gifts? How did you come about them?"

Lion

"A little old lady took me and dunked me into some ice cold water the color of gold, what else?"  He laughed at his words.  "No, I jest, I jest.  I was born with these gifts.  I learned to use them over time.  It is more of a curse than a blessing at times.  But they are useful."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

"What tribe are you from? Does it have a name? Your skills, that is. Is there a special term for what you are?"