Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lighting of the Lake

Started by visualspice, November 28, 2012, 11:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"It would be a new festival," Melora announced as she strolled across the large distance inside her room, her servants taking quills fervently to parchment. "And we can call it 'The Lighting of the Lake'." She smirked at the idea.

"My lady?"

"Yes," she cut them off, and continued as she stared thoughtfully out a window. "And it will become a regular ceremony in which there will be wine and dancing, but it will be different, you see, in that even the commoners can join in on the festivities." Spinning around, she studied the faces of her servants, who appeared slightly shocked she wished to include the peasants, but they said nothing and scribbled it down.  "Oh, and of course, lets not forget the true icing on the cake, where all men, women and children of Connloath who wish to attend purchase and light the floating candles."

"Floating candles?"

"Yes?" Melora stared at her servant patiently.

"Do such a thing exist?"

"If I say it does, you can make it so," she remarked smoothly. "Now, those are minor details. I'd like for the candles to rest upon petal like boats, that will cup around the flame and enhance it's glow." She stared at them as they began to understand her plan to make candles float, and sharpened her gaze when they hadn't wrote it down, and they promptly did so. "Now," she began, pacing once again. "This will be partially in relation to the pre-announcements to Aella's birthday party. She will be coming of age now and it would be most fitting to make a pre-announcement, so that any suitable persons can make sure they are free of obligations to attend." She smiled, much like a cat as she added beneath her breath. "And also the fact declining will not be tolerated."  Facing her servants again, she smiled.
"Now, are you all well versed in what this ceremony will entail?" she asked the words so sweetly, that it jarred her servants everytime.

"Yes, my lady," one said, bowing her head. "You wish to light floating candles upon the lake."

"And?" Melora raised a sharp brow, but kept her cool countenance.

The servants weren't sure what to answer.  Melora faltered, but never frowned.

"I thought it was obvious why were would send floating candles upon the lake, considering what I mentioned earlier," she said, only sounding mildly impatient as she stared down at her long fingernails. "But if I must spell it out, I must, but be sure to write this all down," she said, narrowing her violet eyes upon her servants. "The reason the men, women and children of this town will light glowing candles of radiance across the lake, is to express their true devotion towards beauty." She smiled as her servants remained silent.  "You see, the candles are meant to float towards the woman in the land they found the most beautiful." She lowered her lashes as she peered admirably at herself within the mirror. "So don't you see? Myself, will be included in the royal ladies they have to select from and..." this is where she paused to turn around, looking face-front at her servants as she approached. "And this will be Aella's first chance to prove herself as the most beautiful woman throughout the land." 

"But my lady, is that not the reason Aella travels with you throughout the other duchies?" one servant questioned, and Melora's smile grew wider across her face.

"Yes, it is true, I do like to keep my treasure of a daughter with me at all times as I travel across Connloath, bless my soul, lest I get lonely, but I digress, it is not a known fact that her beauty is unsurpassable!" she said with a good hearted laugh.  "And whose to say she IS the great beauty most of this land praises? Perhaps it is only wise to hold the people accountable for such accusations!" she declared, and waved her servants off.

"Now go! Make the announcement. I want banners posted in every corner throughout Matron's Hollow, and any buildings near the lake. Any town and village nearby should be notified as well, that at week's end, there will be a grand ceremony!" and as she clasped her hands excitedly together, her servants bowed their head and went off to begin the preparations.
"And a grand ceremony it will be indeed," she commented into her lonely chamber, her smile stretching even wider across her lips.

News spread quickly throughout the town as the people prepared excitedly for the Lighting of the Lake.  News that not only the duchess there, but her beautiful and famous daughter, Aella, would be joining the ranks, and in fact, that very day, the two were to be paraded through town.
Rumors spread quickly that candles could be purchased from the Duchess's men, and that any could participate in lighting a candle and sending it off into the lake, pushing it towards the woman they deemed most beautiful throughout the land.  So far, the only names familiar (or popular) was that the competition seemed to be streaming between mother and daughter- that both Duchess Melora and her youthful daughter, Aella. 

It was an exciting announcement indeed, as horns bellowed, welcoming the menagerie of carriages and displays that were paraded through the town's cobblestone roads.  Flags were raised and waved, dancers were fluttering about, singing songs traditional to the land, and even some unique to Hellvion itself: the duchy from where both Melora and the famous daughter, Aella had been from.

But the most exciting display was when a magical float, carried upon gilded wheels and ornate horses, passed through the town where, there in the center, upon the most ornate carving of gold, glittering chairs sat both the duchess, and beside her, forced to stand and in one of the most outrageous but beautiful garbs- her daughter, the beautiful Aella.

Around here, and all of those celebrating in the cloud, fell delicate white feathers and gold and green confetti that sparkled against the bright, blue and cloudless sky.  Though everything that day was beautiful, it was obvious extra attention was paid to both the duchess and her daughter, for the rumored long locks of Aella were worn down and in incredible curls that were locked and laced onto the perched, golden cages of birds, that were stationed at every outside corner of their royal float.

Even her dress, which, though most Connloaths did not wear, had been made an exception, since the gown was wide (though with layered, lacey pants beneath, that were swallowed away, hidden beneath the massive skirt), that of which flowed at great lengths behind Aella and spilled off the very float in which she stood upon to where a set of eight ladies (four on each side) walked behind them, carrying the delicate, but intricately embroidered designs upon.

Her dress was beautiful, made of pure white snow and gold, and across the front, which swept low, was trimmed with a ruffle of pure white feathers, and the same treatment was trimmed upon the front details of her skirts.
She wore gold earrings, though they would be lost in her golden hair, had they not been so large and glittering with enormous diamonds.

Though out of all of the extravagance that was on display, it could not be denied that both duchess, and the sweet face of her daughter, might very well be the most beautiful of them all.

OOC: I hope this all makes sense, I didn't realize it was almost 3 in the morning when I was finishing this up for Aella's first post!
I've tagged all characters meant for this thread, but if you wish to join it, PM me first (only because I have a few ideas here in mind, and would prefer knowing who might want to join so I can keep things steered in a pretty consistent direction) Either way.. yeah...

BEHOLD THE OVERLY EXCESSIVE-NESS OF DUCHESS MELORA!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Drills were postponed for the day as word arrived at their camp of a grand festival being held in the neighboring village--oh, and that attendance was not optional, as the duchess Melora had decreed it so. It would have been a heinous insult for even the military to snub it!

While some of the seasoned soldiers groaned and groused, Faolán and many of the younger recruits celebrated. It was an excuse to get out of practice for a little while and just relax--and some of the other boys whispered about the village girls and plotted out the whirlwind romances and broken hearts they hoped to secure. (Or, at the very least, a quick romp in the hay somewhere, or a notch in someone's bedpost.)

Faolán was most excited about the lights and dancing, as silly as it was. And admittedly, he was a little nervous about there being so much nobility present. He only had two changes of clothing, so he chose the pair that was less dirty (which was the pair he hadn't just been practicing in) and washed his face, hands, and feet in the local stream before he changed. He used water to slick back his hair before he tied it back again, but his bangs flopped right back into his eyes in wet strands.

Oh well. At least it was more orderly now.

He had a go at polishing his boots, which really meant just scrubbing and picking all the mud off them, and then he was ready to go. Adjusting the belt around his tunic and buckling his sword on, he headed back to camp in time to leave for town with the rest of his company.

Hopefully he wouldn't make an utter fool of himself.

Upon entering, he was immediately dazzled by the decorations.

There was confetti everywhere, and flags, horns bellowing, dancers singing songs he recognized, and birds chattering away in cages. It felt like he had walked into another land, and when he saw the float...Ansgar's breath, was that what it was like to be royalty? Because that must be the duchess--no, she was too young. The daughter? He'd heard the celebration was being held in honor for a daughter, and...whoa.

His company dispersed when allowed, heading off to take full advantage of their leave, but Faolán remained rooted where he was, staring up at the float.

Dear Ansgar, I probably look like such a bumpkin, he thought, closing his mouth when he realized it was hanging open. And, alright, so he was. His own village was tiny, so tiny it hadn't made its way onto any maps he'd ever seen, and it had certainly had no festivals like this. It had been mind-blowing when he'd been into his first city, and this? This was another one of those moments. This blew everything else out of the water.

And suddenly, in the presence of all this pomp and beauty, he felt incredibly plain, became acutely aware of his worn clothes, and wished he'd maybe scrubbed his boots just a little longer.

Not that I'd even be noticed, anyway, he thought.

Especially not by someone like her.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

As the parade came to pass, directly before the young lad, the very pretty youth, who was capturing his fancy, turned to look directly at him.  Her face, which had once adorned a smile, turned more genuine as her violet eyes sparkled to life and her cheeks gave way to the gentlest blush.

It was then, the tall knight, decked out in his full suit of arms (minus the helm), where his dark brown hair fell wildly about his face and shoulders, raised a single hand at the girl.  This knight, an obvious high ranking gentleman (notably, a General), stood forward from where he had once been standing behind Faolán in the crowd. He wore an equally jovial smile, one that seemed to seemed to chisel into his face quite handsomely.

It was at this motion that the Duchess herself turned her gaze towards them, and even wore a more appraising smile that lit her own violet eyes like jewels when she recognized the General from Allar.  She motioned, discretely, towards one of her servants and suddenly a man came passing into the crowd, paying no heed to the plain looking younger man as he pushed Faolán aside and approached the General with a bow.

"Sir, word from the Duchess," he said, handing over a sealed parchment.  "An invitation. Do not delay in a response."

But the General did delay in his response, paying only attention to the young man who had been cordially pushed aside for its delivery.

"Are you alright, lad?" he asked, purposely turning his back to the messenger, who know shuffled nervously when ignored.  "You should be more careful, festivities like this can cause a stampede of men you know. It's best not to get in the way." He chuckled politely, then turned to the messenger and nodded, finally accepting the letter. "Tell her I'll reply as promptly as I can," and with a bow, the messenger left. "Nobles." the general said with a laugh, then allowed his eyes to slide back down towards the younger gentlemen, whom, upon observing much earlier, he fancied that the boy hadn't seen such extravagance before.
"This is quite impressive, is it not?" Serenus commented. "But in all honesty, it's too extravagant for my tastes." His arms settled as they folded over his chest, but the smile on his face never left him as his eyes returned towards the fanfare as the parade continued to pass.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

It seemed that no sooner had he thought that when she looked at him. She looked at him and smiled.

Warmth flooded Faolán's face, spreading clear to his ears. She'd noticed him. She--

He was still internally flailing, though on the outside he was frozen in awe, when someone abruptly shoved him out of the way. He gasped, stumbled, but regained his footing and spun around to face the person, mouth open and words on his tongue. "Hey, why don't you watch--!"

But they never made it further than that.

Because that was when he saw that the person who had pushed him was a servant, and the person the servant had passed him by to get to was a knight, decked out in full regalia.

Faolán shut his mouth so fast his teeth ached, swallowed the rest of the words, and turned back around with his shoulders hunched and one hand covering his face. Oh man. And when he heard, over the din of the crowd, exactly what that servant was saying, his mortification only increased. They were delivering a message to the knight from the duchess. Oh jeez. And he'd come so close to telling that guy off! He wanted to vanish into the crowd and started to edge away, but that was when the knight spoke up.

To him. Completely ignoring the servant.

"Huh, wha?" Faolán spun back around and made his best effort at looking calm and composed, looking back and forth between the knight and the servant and feeling a little ridiculous for drawing so much attention and flustered because the knight was paying attention to him before addressing the servant. He stared up at him, dumbstruck for a beat, before the man's words registered.

"Me? Oh, hah, yeah, I'm fine. Never better!" he said with a laugh, brushing himself off. "Takes a lot more than a little bump to knock me down." And then, remembering his place and just who he was speaking to, he jolted in alarm, straightened up, and snapped off a salute. "Er, I mean, I'll keep that in mind, sir! Thank you!"

The servant left, but the knight stayed, and as he continued, Faolán relaxed a little--and felt kind of dumb for getting flustered. It was just, man. So many important people all over the place. He'd never dreamed of brushing elbows with an all-out knight, and especially not one important enough to get the duchess's attention.

He nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. "It's very impressive, sir. Honestly, I've never seen anything like it." He paused, staring ahead at the float. "She's really pretty."

Erk!

He threw up his hands. "Uh! I mean, it's really pretty! The festival, that is. All the decorations and stuff! Really fancy, that!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Serenus chuckled.  The young lad reminded him of his son, Angsar rest his soul.

"Yes, she is very pretty, isn't she?" Serenus commented, his eyes remaining solely upon the float as it faded away, disappearing down the street while the last remnants of fanfare fluttered about.
"You know who she is, don't you boy?" the General asked, keeping a hand thoughtfully rested against his beard as he looked down at the young man.

"Keeping staring at her like that and the Duchess might have your head." His smile stretched to his eyes after he spoke his statement, appearing like a happy snake.  Chuckling, he then added,
"But I wouldn't fret. The duchess hardly has time for commoners." He looked down at the sealed letter and laughed dryly.  "If you ever become a General like me, you'd better know your way around politics." Again, the man laughed as he pocketed the letter. "For they can be more dangerous than games on the battle field."

It was about that time a man approached the General.

"General Serenus," the other knight saluted. "You are needed in the barracks."

Nodding his head, Serenus replied, "Fair enough. I'll be there shortly. Tell the men to wait.  Practice will commence once the parade has ended." The soldier nodded and was on his way. "Oh, to be a young and impatient soldier in training again," Serenus lightly commented beneath his voice with a light chuckle, though it was then his eyes returned most amused-ly to the young boy.

Rhindeer

Faolán ducked his head, tearing his eyes away from the float. "Oh. Would she actually...do that?" he asked, blinking. "Just for looking?"

From the way the knight was smiling, he had the inkling that he was pulling his leg, but one could never be too sure. He'd heard stories growing up about the way nobility acted, and beheading someone for looking at their prized daughter didn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility. But he'd thought that, maybe, it was an exaggeration.

"Well, that's kinda extreme," he added with a frown, brow furrowed, and rubbed his neck. And then he just about choked at what the man said next.

A general.

Jeez. Next thing he knew and he'd be bumping shoulders with the Grand Duke himself with his luck!

Granted, this man, this...general...didn't seem super severe of anything. After the initial surprise, Faolán found himself relaxing again. There was something very laid back about him, and the way he delivered  the comment with a smile and a chuckle set him at ease. Or, well, more so than he had been; he was still a little worried about doing something epically stupid in front of him. His retainers would love hearing that he'd made a fool of their company in front of a general, he was sure!

But then, wasn't this whole occasion supposed to be all light and fun and whatnot? Even the general himself seemed more interested in the celebration than whatever business he had back at the barracks, so if he could get away with a little frivolity, surely he wouldn't be judged too severely today.

"I reckon that's why I'm a soldier, sir," Faolán said. "Don't got a head for politics or nothin'." He peered around the general and down the road where the float had gone, then looked back up at him. "Say, where are they going?"

visualspice

"Probably staying as guests at the most expensive place here," Serenus replied lightly, then chuckled again and eyed the lad as he rubbed his chin. "A soldier, eh?" Eyeing him up, he then remarked. "Fresh blood, are ya boy? I see no suit of arms. Are you in training? You do seem rather young, so I suppose it would be fitting."

Turning away from the boy, he watched the tail end of the parade and shrugged.
"Say, if you're a soldier, shouldn't you be training?" he eyed the boy suspiciously, but then gave another laugh. "But don't worry about it, I'm sure the regiments here are on holiday, busy enjoying themselves for this occasion." He smirked over it, rubbing his chin again. "Though, if you want to see what real knights do, why don't you come swing by the barracks? I wouldn't mind getting a chance to show a novice a thing or two with a sword. Most of the men I train tend to be hardened already, and have become veteran shoulders and have no one left to spar but me."  Serenus laughed at that.

"But there I go, boosting my own ego, but whose to say?" he shrugged. "It's not entirely my fault I can't be bested in battle." He turned to the boy and smirked, knowing those types of tales always wet the appetites of new recruits.  And, even though it was evident he was not from his own duchy, a soldier for Connlaoth was a soldier, indeed! Even one in training should be seen as a valuable asset.  After all, the men who join are willing to give their lives, no matter how young.

His son knew that far too well... though the family had made him a grave stone, his remains would lie in an unmarked grave, out on a battle field, far, far away.

Rhindeer

"Whoa, really?" That got Faolán's attention, and any nervousness he'd felt at being eyed up and down, and lightly berated for not being at training, faded when the man made his offer. Though what did he mean by that bit concerning the other soldiers having no one else to spar? He couldn't honestly be suggesting that he, a total novice, spar against some hardened soldiers, could he?

Because that just sounded embarrassing.

And painful.

Still, it was an offer he couldn't pass up! To get a demonstration from a knight--and a famous one, from the sounds of it!--was a once in a lifetime sort of chance. Though, of course, he was not about to admit that he didn't know who this man was; that would be rude, and he'd been teased enough about his lack of knowledge. Hell, he didn't even know who the current Grand Duke was before he'd enlisted! Oh, the woes of coming from a tiny, rural village.

"I'd love to! If you don't mind, of course. That'd be amazing! Oh, uh, I'll just have to tell my captain and everything but I'm sure he won't mind! I mean, you being a great knight and all," Faolán said, and it was a trial and a half to contain his excitement. He was hardly paying attention to the parade anymore, so caught up in the moment.

"So yeah! Anytime! Oh, uh, I'm Faolán by the way. Faolán Ruane."

visualspice

"Shall we go now then?" Serenus inquired, staring down at the boy and smiling at his enthusiasm. "You can take notes on how the real knights train, and perhaps, if you're lucky, I can have one of the knights, or even myself, show you a few techniques before you go."

He stared over towards the barracks.
"Unless you have other plans, you can follow or meet me at the barracks. I'll be stationed in the training barracks on the North branch.  Though I'm afraid I may have to read into the duchess's wishes, but training is an important part of our daily lives. Soldiers should be prepared for anything," he studied the boy, rubbing his chin before adding. "Even on holidays."

OOC: I can move them into the barracks on my next post~
figure once they get there, might be fun to have the duchess and (possibly) Aella stop by for a brief visit :3

Rhindeer

"Ah! I'd love to! I've no plans!" Faolán said, grinning ear to ear with excitement, and though he was curious to see the rest of the festival, he knew this would be invaluable. This was a once in a lifetime chance! He would be daft to pass it up! "Thank you so much, sir!"

It was an effort not to bounce in place, anxious to get going. "In fact, I can go right now!" No one would miss his presence; the rest of his regiment was probably out getting drunk and seducing ladies by now. He'd be back in plenty of time to return to camp.

visualspice

Serenus chuckled at the boy's enthusiasm.
"That's very good to hear, then perhaps we shall go now."
The general did not delay as he lead the boy towards the North Branch, the noises of grunting men, steel against steel and men shouting drills filled the air as they walked through the long, stone hall.

"My men will only be here briefly, but it seems they've already made themselves at home," Serenus commented, another chuckle escaping his lips as he lead the boy onward through the maze like barracks and stopped before a wooden door as he fishe out an iron key.  Unlocking it, the door was pushed open as the general stepped inside.  It was here, he grabbed a pair of swords and tossed one, while it was in it's sheath, of course, to the young lad.

"Here, catch," he said with a smirk.
"Why dont' you and I have a fun little spar on our own, hrm? It's not every day I get to play with fresh meet." the general stated with a laugh. "But don't yo u worry, I used to love training the new recruits.  It was rather fun, but I'm normally needed elsewhere."
He paused to consider the duchess's letter- but then gestured for the boy to follow.

"Come." And he lead the boy into one of the back corners of the room. The place was empty, so no audience would be there to entertain themselves watching the general teach the young boy.

"So, Faolán, was it?" he said, chuckling again as he drew out his sword and stared at it.  "They say a knight's true power comes from his heart." he took the blade, then cut it quickly across the air, the noise rung in a single note that hummed between them.  "They say, however, that a sword can be of equal importance." the man chuckled, pointing the blade at the boy and nodded.

"Draw your weapon and we can begin.  It is wise to assume a stance you are comfortable with, balls of your feet normally lifted slightly off the ground, toes curled into your boots to ensure quick, but steady motions."  Serenus demonstrated with a few quick moves, dancing about and cutting the air with his sword.

"See, how natural and fluid my arms move? You need to think of the sword as an extension of your own body. Go ahead and give it a try. I'd like to see how you feel with a sword in your hands."

The general stood back, resting the tip of his blade into the stone flooring beneath them as he watched the boy with interest.
"Remember posture and timing, and keep yourself always in a mobile position, ready to block or thrust your sword if necessary.  Most knights carry shields, but some can do just as well with only a sword in his hands."

He nodded, and waited for the boy to comply.

Rhindeer

Faolán followed Serenus, mostly quiet because it was difficult to talk and gape at the same time. Never in his life had he dreamed of being someplace like this, where all the elite--knights and generals and such--were, getting tips from a real knight. All that time, he had been so busy with training and chores and, well, getting attacked by monsters that he hadn't really had a chance to think of the future. Being a knight? That sounded like a really impressive, amazing, glamorous thing that he thought he might like to be.

So lost was he in his thoughts and dreams that he didn't even know the sword it was coming at him until it was practically on him. With a gasp, he caught it, fumbled it, and almost dropped it, but he righted it at the last moment and willed away his blush. Hopefully Serenus hadn't noticed.

He followed Serenus into the back of the room and looked around for a spot to set his own sword (well, his father's sword, actually), which was buckled to his belt. Maybe Serenus just wanted him to use one of his own swords for the purposes of training, which was fine by him! Made sense; the training swords would be blunted, right? He set his own sword down, sheath and all, by the wall before returning to Serenus and drawing the sword he'd been given.

Its weight was different, heavier, than the one he was used to and he had to compensate as a result. He listened as the man spoke, nodding to show he understood, eyes never leaving him as he demonstrated. Shifting his weight, he slid into a comfortable stance, legs shoulder-width apart with his right foot slid forward and body angled. He'd been taught that much already; always present your opponent with the smallest target. He bounced lightly on the balls of his feet and get the feel for his position and let his free hand trail behind him and out of the way, slightly lifted to aid in balance.

He had this part down.

It was the actual fighting part, the sparring, that tripped him up. He had a tendency to want to shy away from the blows and hadn't quite got the timing thing down.

He swished his sword in the air, the motion far more clumsy, and far slower, than Serenus's. "I think a shield sounds like a pretty good idea, personally," he said as he tried to mimic Serenus's movements. "I heard it's good for bashing people in the head if ya lose your sword. I mean, uh, aside from shielding yourself, of course!"

One of the soldiers had told that story one night, about how he'd gone up against some bandits and been disarmed, but managed to defeat the rest with just his shield. Faolán thought that sounded rather impressively heroic.

visualspice

Serenus witnessed the boy's attempts in silence, the smile never leaving his face.  Though, at his final comment about the shield, Serenus's grin grew twice as wide.
"Ah, clever boy," he said, stepping forward. "But a mastery of all elements will be necessary in becoming a knight. You seem to hold back when you swing with your sword." Serenus moved beside the boy and moved his arm along the boy's, positioning his arm and showing him the motions. "You need not be stiff about it, for any faulty movement could prove fatal."

Stepping aside he nodded. "You need to make every action you do count. What if I were to be coming at you with the intents on killing you? Will you waiver? And then what? A sword and shield might be too late, a heavy blow from a well trained opponent could kill you lad, now, pick up your sword and let's try this again. This time.." the General smirked. "I'll come at you."

The boy had been right that the blades had been blunted, but could still do some heavy damage if it were to hit you (bruises and broken bones, really) and so he pulled away, stood in position and nodded towards Faolán.

"Are you ready to parry my attacks? In doing so, it will help you gain confidence. Now pay close attention to my blade," he drew it out, moving it about in a circle about the air very slowly before pointing the blunted tip at his student.

"Remember, eye on the sword," the general said, then moved at him, quick as lightning, just as Duchess Melora appeared at the door.

Rhindeer

Okay, he could do this! He had this! Eyes on Serenus's sword, Faolán readied his own blade to parry and relaxed his stance. Don't be so stiff, right. Don't hold back. Okay, he had this! Besides, it wasn't like the knight would go like all out on someone green at him, right?

The blade came at him, quicker than he expected, and he swung his blade down to block the thrust--and that was when another motion caught his eye, just behind Serenus.

He shouldn't have looked. He should have kept his focus, blocked out all other distractions, but it was enough. It drew his eye--and then he faltered.

Holy God, that was the--!

The blade glanced off his own and slid right past his lousy defense, striking him in the arm, and with a yelp he dropped his sword and clutched the sore spot. It wasn't a direct hit; it was more of a graze. But blunted or not, it still hurt, and he was sure to get a nasty bruise.

"Ow, shiii--!" He remembered, abruptly, that the duchess was there and bit his tongue to cut off the word, face flushing. Yikes.

visualspice

"Faolán!" the captain growled.  "You need to remain focused. You could sustain more injuries than that bruise you're going to face tomorrow. Remember, you're training to be in real combat.  It will mean the difference between life and death."

Then, bowing, Serenus continued, "But perhaps we shall have to continue this at another time." The captain gave a quick laugh between a twitch in his lips as he turned around to address the Duchess of Hellvion.

"My lady, a welcome surprise," His face wrinkled into a smile as he approached, took her hand and kissed it with airs.
The Duchess's smile grew wide like a cats as her eyes narrowed over at the young boy.

"He looks young. Perhaps only Aella's age," the Duchess commented.
"Aye," Serenus confirmed, nodding towards him.  "I saw him at the festival and wanted to show a new warrior what for. After all, all I ever see these days are politics and battle fields."

He turned to the duchess and it was evident both wear their smiling masks well.

"Well, it is a high responsibility to be a Captain to a Duke," she informed him, strolling to his side, just enough to expose her daughter, Aella behind her. 

Aella had kept her gaze lowered until she was spoken to, then soft, violet eyes were raised across the room as she smiled at Serenus as he reached out and took her hand as well, kissing it lightly.

"A pleasure to see you, my lady," he spoke.
"As always, Captain," Aella said, smiling softly at him, then followed SErenus's gaze as he moved to introduce the boy. Even though he might appear a nobody, he was still in the presence of nobles.

"This is one of the many brave knights in training. His name is Faolán. He and I were enjoying the festivities earlier today and have been practicing vigilantly in order to maintain the idea of a peaceful life and world, that of which we live in, to preserve it for future generations to perhaps they too, might have a Lighting of the Lake ceremony some day for their children."

He gestured to Faolán to greet the royals, and had to smirk, wandering how the child would do in front of the famous.

Though it was the Duchess who made a noise at first.
"Yes, introductions can wait, but my invitation can not-" she began impatiently, but it seemed her daughter didn't quite catch her tone as Aella moved forward and curtsied towards the young man.

"How do you do. It is an honor to meet one of the brave knights for our country," she said in earnest, extending her hand for him to take as a gentle blush graced her cheeks. ANd i twas indeed, easy to see how the rumors were spread- for up close and personal, Aella appeared the picture of perfect.

Rhindeer

Ohgodohgodohgod.

Faolán could have curled up and did right there. He was just a country kid! He had never once anticipated being around so many important people--at least not this soon while he was a nobody! And then for those important people to see him making a fool of himself? Hoo boy.

Still rubbing his arm, he smiled politely at the duchess and gave an awkward bow when she acknowledged him--the breathed a sigh of relief when she turned her attention back to Serenus. Oh good. While they talked important talk, he could just...stand there. Making himself small and unimportant so he didn't have to answer any awkward questions or look like a dolt!

Or so he thought.

Because that was when he saw that the duchess wasn't alone. The girl was there. The pretty girl he'd sighted earlier! And suddenly, the situation grew about ten times more awkward as Serenus brought the conversation back around to him again. Either the man was oblivious to his discomfort or he was doing this on purpose. He couldn't tell which.

The guy certainly was making him sound a lot more impressive than he felt! Which would have been flattering were they alone, but right then was kind of mortifying. After Serenus finished speaking, Faolán didn't respond at first, just stood there blankly with an awkward smile on his face. Then he realized, if belatedly, that he should probably be saying or doing something (give the expectant pause!) and gave a jerk of alarm. He opened his mouth to speak, but the duchess cut in.

Which was good because then he didn't have to make a fool of himself, but also a little...ouch. Because maybe the fact that she'd cut in meant that he already had.

It was the girl that rescued him.

She wasn't the only one blushing, because when she greeted him and then held out her hand, Faolán felt hit cheeks heat. Up close, she was even prettier than when he'd seen her from afar, and when he took her hand in his, he found it surprisingly soft, quite different from his calloused palm. His throat felt tight as, shyly, he met her eyes. What did one say to nobility? She didn't look much older than he was, but she was still important, powerful...

Beautiful.

He cleared his throat and hoped she couldn't feel that he hand was lightly shaking. "It's...the pleasure's all mine, m'lady," he said. "You honor me." And then, on an impulse and remembering how Serenus had greeted her, he lifted her hand and kissed it.

The thought hit him while his lips were still on her skin that ohgodmaybehewasn'tsupposedtodothat.

Her mother was right there.

And Serenus was nobility! Or something! He didn't know much about nobility or anything, but didn't nobles like...chop peoples' heads off for less?!

He froze, his eyes widened, and then he quickly straightened. "I...my apologies, m'lady!"

visualspice

Duchess Melora's eyes crept sorely over the boy, her demeanor growing most sore.  But when the boy reared back, alarmed to have KISSED her daughter's hand so, she was surprised (but also not) to hear Serenus laugh full heartily at the endeavor.

"Now, now, lad, think nothing of it. Any man who would aspire to such graces would do the same. It is only proper, though perhaps the Duchess and I ought to step aside for a moment to chat-" and before Melora knew it, she was being guided away, protesting- "Yes, but my daughter," and in a huff,s he was silenced as Serenus continued as they disappeared into another room, leaving Aella to stand there, blinking and not quite knowing what to do.

She was a girl who obeyed every order of her mother, but is seemed she was lead off by social entrapment, and not very far off indeed, for she could still hear her speaking on the other side of the hall before her violet eyes moved to meet with Faolán's. And she blushed, lowering her eyes and curtsied again.
"I suppose I ought to follow my mother," she began. Then moved swiftly away, catching only a small glance back towards the night before disappearing into the hall.

Rhindeer

Faolán watched the girl leave, frowning.

"Bye," he muttered, wiggling his fingers in a wave.

He really wished he could have gotten to talk with her more, but of course royalty wouldn't want to stick around peasantry like him! And come to think of it, he couldn't blame her. What noble girl would feel comfortable around a soldier-in-training, fresh out of the village?

Still, it would have been fun to talk to a pretty noble girl--carefully, so he didn't get in trouble with her mum!

With a loud sigh, Faolán picked up his sword again and started to go through the sets Serenus had shown him. May as well make use of his time! Gave him something to put his mind to, instead of wondering what it was they were talking about.

visualspice

Aella had wanted to join her mother, but upon hearing her talking to Serenus on more.. er.. private matters, she drew back, a blush across her cheeks. She wasn't sure if she ought to intervene, and felt embarrassed for it and hung about in the hallway, eventually her ears catching onto the boy practicing in the other room. Curiously, she headed back down the hall, peering out from the side and watching him swing about his sword, mesmerized by his movements. Even though each swing was a bit clumsy, after a time, she found herself gently smiling. It was his determination that intrigued her. That, and he looked kind of cute with his hair getting all sweaty and clinging about his forehead.

Rhindeer

The more Faolán practiced, the easier it got, and before long he had worked up a good sweat and gotten really into it. He imagined himself as facing off with an imaginary enemy, and decided that that enemy was the monster that had attacked and wounded him not long ago. This time he'd slay it! Or at least in this fantasy. And then hopefully if he ever came across it for reals he'd have the guts and learning to make it pay.

He could practically see its dripping fangs and smell its musty fur as he whirled and parried and thrust, attacking air. "Hah! Stupid beast! Thought you'd come back for the rest of me, did ya?! Well too bad!" He swung at the air where its imaginary head was. "This time, it's not me that's gonna crawl away missing pieces! Now die a thousand deaths ya bloody-ass--oh!"

That was when he caught sight of the girl, and he nearly fell over his own feet in alarm. He did drop the sword, and it fell to the ground in a clatter.

"O-oh! M...m'lady!" His cheeks were on fire, burning down his neck and clear up to his ears. He scrambled to pick up the sword, fumbling it. "I, uh...I didn't see you there, um..."

He managed a sheepish smile and wiped his sweaty bangs from his face. "...How long were you standing there?"