Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Duty Calls

Started by Ivory, December 23, 2012, 08:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

"So," he said slowly, grinding the word out slowly.  "What's their plan?"

At least something positive had come from this fiasco!  He was still going to kick somebody's asses when he left this room...and they were going to feel the full wrath of his anger and frustration, unfortunately!

Still, they were men.  They could handle it.

And he would have to inform Calent...  And Calent would, undoubtedly, act like a 2-year-old.  It was all very frustrating!

Ycharley

"In a week they plan on raiding the palace, taking the Duke and what ever valuables they can get there hands on with in an hour. They plan on using magic to help sneak pass your guards but as we both know, that wont work. Or at least the magic part, if the rest of your guards act like the ones on duty last night, they will have no problem getting past them."

Minala ran her fingers through her tangled hair. "So, now that we're on the subject, what is your disciplinary plan for the men that were on duty?" 

Ivory

"I'm going to kick their asses," Audric replied shortly, his mind on the villains and their plan.  So they intended to raid the palace in one week...and, what, ransack it?  Along with the Duke?

What were they looking for?

Or was this just an attempt to loot and collect a ransom?

The captain rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he mulled it over.  Knowing Calent, he wouldn't stand for being placed somewhere safe under guard...nor did Audric feel comfortable moving the Duke.  Moving him outside the protective walls of the palace would make him more vulnerable...

But, perhaps...  Well, it would ultimately be up to the Duke how he wished to proceed.  "When did you say they had planned this?  And did you hear any specifics?"

Ycharley

"Do I get to join in on the ass kicking, since it was my ass that got tortured because they didn't do there job?" Minala asked crossing her arms. She looked at the door, almost completely ignoring his next question.

"I thought the surgeon was suppose to be on his way, I'm pretty sure I need stitches," She continued to avoid the topic. She was tired of talking about this. She was kidnapped last night so wasn't Audric smart enough to piece together that they had planned that last night.

Ivory

Audric's eyebrows lifted slightly.  "What kind of a Captain would I be if I let someone outside the ranks discipline my men for me?"  He needed to make sure his lesson stuck -- and he wanted to ask some questions of the men who were supposed to be watching.  It made him uneasy to think someone had walked in so easily and had managed to walk out with a captive...

When she -- pointedly -- ignored his line of questioning, Audric glanced at the clock that had, miraculously, remained undisturbed throughout the abduction.  "Perhaps they are having trouble locating him...  I'll go see what I can find out."

Ycharley

Minala stood quickly, and quickly regretted it, but she didn't let it show. "Well, maybe just maybe it would make them learn to be a little more accountable because clearly there not as great as you thought they were," She said, a distinct frown on her face.

"You know what, don't worry about it, I'll be fine" She replied, her voice very controlled. She grabbed her weapons, they were laying on the floor, and stormed out of the room. She was angry, it wasn't all because of him and his men. She was partially upset with herself. She should have been ready, of course if she hadn't been taken she wouldn't know there plans.

She walked until she found a pretty private little court yard before she started to train. Her movements slow and unimpressive at first, but quickly her movements sped up and became more complex.

Ivory

OOC: Sorry for the delay! D:  I was waiting for VisualSpice to be free to so we could do a quick volley before Audric comes to find her!  (Or she comes to find Audric!)

Audric stared after her, only just remembering to close his mouth as the surgeon -- a portly man, who really should know better -- hurried up, panting.  "Sorry about that.  One of the maids is having trouble with her baby, and I thought -- why, where is the patient?"

The soldier shook his head slightly.  "I have no idea.  She went that way.  And if she can storm out like that, she must not be in too bad of shape."

"She!"  The man exclaimed, his expression shocked.  "They said she was a soldier!"

"She is."  Audric glanced at the man, shrugged once, and then left him to figure out whether he wanted to find the woman or go back to talking about babies with the staff.  He made his way outside first to talk to his men.

Audric's words were not kind.  He was usually a pretty-easy going guy -- but dereliction of duty was not something he took lightly.  It did not take him long to sort out the guilty from the innocent, and, although they did not have the details as to what, precisely, had alerted their Captain to their inattention (due, of all things, to a game of dice), they understood that it was not to happen again.

Nor would it.  Audric left orders for the eight men responsible to be confined until they could be properly punished.  Those particular eight men would not be working together again -- and, in the interest of safety and paranoia, he was going to have to design some sort of rotating shift...

With all of that weighing heavily on his mind, he made his way away back into the palace, this time in search of the Duke to convey what had happened over the course of the last 24 hours.  He rapped sharply on the man's door, hardly waiting for a reply before stepping inside.

Ycharley

(OOC: Okay, no problem )

Minala was hurting as she moved, she was sure that she would regret this after she was done. She could feel parts of her skin pulling apart sharply, she would definitely have to go get stitches. After about half an hour she stopped, panting slightly, holding her side. She knew that it was now time for her to either suck it up and do it herself or go seek out the surgeon.

She strapped her weapons to her back stiffly, before limping to go find the man who would stitch her up. It took her a while to hunt him down, having to ask several servants. Finally though she found him. He was with a woman and what appeared as a new born as well as several other servants all standing around with big eyes, all attention on the baby and mother.

Minala tapped the man that fit the description given to her, "Um, Sir," She started, taking a few steps out of the room and motioning for him to follow, "I'm in need of stitches," She spoke softly, not wanting to bother those that were inside the room.

The man looked at her and raised an eyebrow, "Your the woman soldier I assume, follow me," He spoke leading her to a room where he proceeded to stitch up the gashes that needed it.

visualspice

Calent had himself so immersed in paperwork, that it would be hard to distinguish him behind his desk. The towers of paper were like a castle themselves, and were it not for the heavy scraping of the quill and light tingle of the dab of it inside the ink, one might not even know he was there.
Until, as it went, he turned a page and went onward, slipping across a few beads as he counted upon his ledger, then marked the numbers down and studied them before licking at his thumb again and proceeded, turning the paper over and making a brief note on the back before he decided to address the footsteps inside his room.

"What is it this time, Audric?" he asked plainly, not lifting his face up from his paper work.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

There were no two ways to say this, unfortunately.  But Audric was a big boy; he could handle it.

Nevertheless, he straightened and squared his shoulders to stand at attention, as he would before a superior officer.  Calent technically was a superior officer, after all, and if he chose to discipline Audric, well, he would be in his right to do so.

"There was a breach last night.  The Mordencai was taken out of the castle and beaten for information.  She returned this morning -- alive, but severely wounded.  I have already determined who was on duty, and they will be lashed for their inattention last night."

That about summed it up!

visualspice

Calent was listening to his friend, but as he did so, he furrowed his brow as the crease pressed into his skin, deeper and deeper until finally, after Audric had spoke, he sighed.
"There's two coppers missing."

Looking up from his papers, he stared at Audric, as if registering his presence for the first time and simply stared.
"So you're saying the Grand Duke sent someone incompetent to save my life?" he frowned.  "I would ask more questions, but the only responses would be inadquecies that are rendered unmendable as the time has come and pass.  Yes, the men ought to be punished and reassigned elsewhere. Maybe field work would yield better results." The duke looked back down to his papers and frowned again.

Not only did he calculate a missing copper, but now there were two.
And not to mention, his life was in danger, and the woman who came to bare the news and protect, well, she was probably too severely beaten to be of any use now.

Calent's fingers twitched nervously.
"What of her condition?" the duke inquired, meaning Minala, though his eyes remained upon his taxes.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"If she were under my command, I would restrict her to light duties for a week -- that is, assuming, the surgeon does not discover any internal injuries.  She was fortunate."

Audric frowned deeply.  He was well-accustomed to Calent's attention-span -- and his strange obsession with taxes.  Well, for Audric it was strange, but he supposed it was his job, after all!

"It's...more complicated than you might imagine," he said delicately.  "It seems she told some of the staff that you would be switching rooms with her last night...and she believes the trap was meant to catch you.  She also believes her captors did not know she was a Mordencai -- that was the information she gave them, at any rate, when they interrogated her."  It didn't make a helluva lot of sense to him!  Whoever they were up against were clearly well-connected...but, as to their intelligence...

"She also learned they plan to assault the castle in a week.  It sounds as though they wish to abduct you and loot the castle under the cover of magic."

visualspice

Calent frowned.

"So there's a possible rumor of scandal?" he made a face. "A female mordecai found in the duke's stead? You know how rumors can fly. Quell them before they take flame. The last thing I want is more branding against my name."

Sighing, he then pressed on.
"Just here mere presence should silence any magic attack," Calent replied flatly. "Just see that she is tended to and bring in double reinforcements with the guards. Since we have some idle infantry, we could ask General Miles to delay another week and remain nearby the castle to scout the villages and wilds for suspects."
He also would omit the details he had his own personal brand of mordecai that worked for him...
but perhaps Audric wouldn't need to know this band was forming, after all, he'd rather not have any  chance of word leaking out to the Grand Duke of this.. considering his own ambitions and some gossip towards his strict laws over mages.

Calent sighed.
"You would think if these magic users did not like the strict laws we up hold, they would simply just move away..."

All the more reason to kill them.

Ivory

You would think...

"Until this is sorted out, I recommend keeping your sword on hand," the soldier added.  "There are clearly traitors within your walls.  Until they are rooted out and the threat quelled, I will be changing my shift to be on hand should trouble arise.  A daytime attack isn't impossible, but the plan Minala described would be extremely difficult during the day.  If their intention is to get in and out with your riches and with you, a night assault would make more sense."

But, of course, they'd already observed once how these brigands thought...

"Just be sure to call for me if you notice anything suspicious or have any doubts."

visualspice

Calent frowned at the thought.  His head, spinning a little over the ordeal.
"I'll keep that in mind." he nodded towards Audric at the mention of his sword. "A traitor.." he thought it over and frowned as he looked down at his taxes. Damn traitors. Damn thieves. Damn taxes.

"I suppose more guards and stricter codes within the servants and maids wouldn't be uncalled for." he paced before his desk, thinking. "THough we could have the castle on lock down."

However, even he wasn't too keen on the idea. He, despite appearing recluse, did not like the idea of being caged in.

Ivory

"For a whole week?"  Audric asked, surprised.  "I'm not sure that's the best course of action...  It may make our unseen adversaries more bold -- or more desperate.  Either is dangerous."

Which reminded him...

"I'm not sure if they mean to kill you or simply take you captive.  I'm certain they've heard of your skill with a blade, and, as their plan relies on stealth, if I were them I would not want to risk you sabotaging their plans."  But, then, they had taken the Mordecai...though she had been unguarded.  Even when alone, there were guards always within earshot of the Duke.

"I'll be on hand at mealtimes to test your plate for you.  And if I am not, I will send my sergeant, Curio, to do it for me."

visualspice

"That is unnecessary. A maid can do the testing. If food is poisoned, you shouldn't be the first to die at my spoon." Calent sighed. "And perhaps a lock down is too harsh." He paced a few times, hands clasped behind his back as he contemplated the whole situation.
"Perhaps it would be wise to keep both you and this mordecai near." Though as unpleasant as it was, and he hated to lose some privacy, but there seemed little choice.

Calent continued to mull over the situation.
"Find out more, if you can. Report back to me when you find some more leads." And with a nod, he gestured for his friend to be dismissed.

Ivory

Audric could have argued the point -- after all, it would be no good killing off the maids either.  But, it was, after all, Calent's decision...

He nodded slightly and thoughtfully, adding, with a slight smirk, "Hope you find those two coppers."

So saying, he left.  After a moment of indecision in the hallway, he made his way towards the guest wing in search of Minala.  He had no way of knowing if she was there, of course -- or where to begin looking if she wasn't.  But he might as well invite her to the party, assuming she could be found, anyway...

Ycharley

Minala made her way back to her room. Her head was cloudy, making the room seem as if it was spinning around her. She had told the surgeon she didn't need those damned herbs, but he had insisted. She clenched her teeth, she would at least make it to that damned room. Minala had always had a will of steel.

Quickly though she found that she was finding it nearly impossible to keep her eyes open, they were feeling extremely heavy. So she made a quick decision, she sat down, leaning her body against the wall. Better this way than passing out in the floor right? Minala leaned her head, her eyes closed, her head so foggy she didn't hear Audric's footsteps approaching. 

Ivory

"Minala?"  Audric began, shocked to find her hunched over in the hallway.  Worried -- and wondering how long she had been there -- he practically dashed the last few steps.  Crouching down at her side, he reached out to put a tentative hand on the crook of her arm.

"Minala?"  He nearly asked if she was okay, then bit his tongue.  No, of course she wasn't okay...  Instead, he asked, "Are you conscious?  Do you need help?"

He supposed that was the most important thing...