Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Duty Calls

Started by Ivory, December 23, 2012, 08:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

Minala jumped as Audric touched her. She was groggy and had to fight to open her eyes. She looked up at Audric with squinted eyes, her mind in a fog.

"The, the surgeon, he must of gave me something, I'm- I'm so tired," She spoke in a near mumble. It took an incrediable amount of effort just to finish a thought. It was only getting harder as she moved her hand the his.

Minala had a bad feeling and hated that she felt so weak. She was nearly completely helpless at this point, she would have to rely on Audric, and hope she hadn't been poisoned some how.

Ivory

Well, at least she had been to see the surgeon, then...

"You should have stayed in your room," he told her disapprovingly, although not altogether gently.  "Let's get you back to bed, and I'll find out what the doctor gave you so we can have a good, hearty meal ready when you wake up."  She seemed so groggy that he felt she might miss meal time -- or possibly a whole day of meal times!  The surgeon did love his medicines...

"Come on."  It was all the warning he would give her before suddenly lifting her into his arms to take her to her room...personally.

Ycharley

Minala let her head lean against his chest. She found that she liked this, however odd it sounded. She wasn't one that was ever very affectionate, or one who even liked being touched at all. For some unknown reason though, being in his arms felt nice. She wrote the feelings off to being drugged up. It would have been nice if the surgeon would have warned her or something.

Ivory

It didn't take long for Audric to reach her room.  He moved gracefully and evenly, careful not to jar her or knock her about -- and, yet, he moved swiftly.  The door would have been a problem had a maid not been stepping out as he approached.

"Hold the door open."

The woman obeyed, then hurried into the room after Audric to swiftly pull back the covers on the bed.  Audric waited patiently for her to finish, continuing to hold Minala as steadily as he had when he had first lifted her into his arms.

"Will you find her something..."  The word was lost on Audric a moment.  "Appropriate to wear?"

The maid nodded and scooted off in search of Minala's night clothes, leaving Audric to set her, gently, down on the mattress.  "I'll wait outside.  The maid will help you dress, and I'll ask her to summon me once you're decent."

Ycharley

Minala sighed as Audric set her down, her body instantly missing the warmth from his. She nodded as she watched him walk out. She was barely at the edge of consciousness and she honestly didn't care who helped her dress. She wouldn't even care if it was Audric, it wasn't like he hadn't seen a woman's body before. He was a soldier so of course Audric had seen a woman's body before.

The maid came in shortly with a simple long night shirt. Minala sat up and helped the maid get her armor off, it took a little bit but finally they managed to get it off her body. With that they quickly got the night shirt on before the maid helped Minala back into the bed.

The maid walked to the door, opening it up and walked out, letting Audric know that she was decent.

Ivory

Audric waited patiently for the maid to return, standing at ease with his hands clasped behind his back and his eyes trained on the far wall.  He looked more like he was guarding her than waiting...

When he was re-admitted to the room, he murmured for the maid to wait, in case she should need anything.  He wasn't sure what that might be -- water or a fire or something -- but he was sure the maid could see to it better than he could.

"I'll find the doctor and ask what he gave you," he said as he stepped back into the room.  "And his treatment recommendation."

Ycharley

Minala was fighting to keep her eyes opened as she tried to speak with Audric. It was growing hard though, the struggle was getting more and more difficult. She was warm and comfortable which was making it that much more difficult to stay awake.

"I wish he would have just sewed me up without any medicine. I didn't want to be put to sleep. I can't do my job if I'm unconscious," Minala said crossing her arms, her eyes slowly closing.

"I'm going to have to give that doctor a piece of my mind," She started before she remembered why she had to visit him in the first place. "How did the discipline go and I don't think I should fall asleep. I'll be an easy target," she started, quickly sitting up.

Ivory

"I was just on my way to supervise the lashings when I came across you."  Ah, that was right.  He had a duty to see to...

"Why would they target you?" Audric asked skeptically.  "They have everything they want from you.  Killing you now would be...pointless."  It had been some time, after all!  "I can leave some guards here -- and I'll be back up to check on you as soon as I've spoken to the doctor and dealt with my men."

Why was his to-do list getting so long, anyway?

Ycharley

Minala shook her head. "No, no, just, just forget about it, you're probably right.. Right. Though I do know their plans, and... Well, never mind I'll be fine. Just go to your duties, I'll be fine, I'm a soldier after all," Minala babbled, laying back down.

As she laid down she continued to babble, though her words now were completely incoherent. She turned onto her side with a sigh, mumbled for a few more minutes before finally seeming to fall asleep.

Ivory

Audric frowned down at her, then turned to the maid who was still waiting nearby.  "Send for the doctor and for two of my men.  And Sergeant Curio."

The maid nodded and left, leaving Audric to hover beside the woman's bedside as she slept.  He trusted Curio -- they had been through a lot together out on the border, and Audric had sent for him personally once he had taken over as Captain.  And, in spite of his advancing years, Curio was still the toughest soldier Audric knew...  And he had a wife and daughters.  He would see to it that Minala was kept safe.

Surprisingly, it was the doctor who arrived first.  He had worked for the Duke's family ever since Audric could remember -- and he could remember a long way back.  It was a place of privilege and honor...and, even though Audric knew every man had his price, he thought the doctor's price would be quite high indeed to risk losing his healthy salary and the perks of his position.

"What did you give her?" Audric asked as the door opened, pausing in the pacing he had been engaged in a moment ago.

(OOC: Do you want to be the doctor guy or do you want me to continue?)

Ycharley

(OOC: I can be the doctor)

The doctor appeared nervous, he was was not used to being questioned like this. The tone of Audric's voice gave him a chill, it took him a moment for him to gather his words so he wouldn't trip over them when he began to speak.

"I just gave her something that would make her relax. She needed it, you haven't seen the wounds she has. She needs to rest and with out it I knew she wouldn't have," The doctor tried to explain, his words quick, he didn't want to get on the bad side of Audric.

Ivory

"How long will she be like this?" Audric asked with a frown, his eyes going to the sleeping woman.  Yes, he had no doubt that she had required a draught to keep her in bed; like any soldier, she seemed reluctant to submit to an injury.  He studied her for a moment, thoughtful, then added for the benefit of the doctor, "And when she awakens, can she be put on duty?"

Injured though she may be -- and a woman -- she still had a job to do, and Audric did not imagine she would care to be kept from it for very long.  The Mordecai were proud -- and rightfully so -- and she was a soldier besides.  She had a duty to perform and a mission to complete; he wondered if, even sleeping under the effects of a potion like this, if her anti-magic capabilities would remain in effect...or if the Duke would, once again, be in danger from sorcerers...

And, for that matter, what danger it opened her up to...

Ycharley

"Two days at the most, shouldn't be any longer then that. When she wakes, I suppose she could be put back on duty though she still will not be completely healed. So though I would suggest against it she could if she wanted," The doctor spoke as he turned to the woman. She had started to toss and turn slightly. Even with a powerful tranquilizer she still knew in her heart she did not belong in that bed, that she had a job and a duty to do.

"Well that isn't good, if she is moving like that it will take longer for her to heal," the doctor said shaking his head, what could he say, that was how proud soldiers were. Would never stop even with horrific injuries.

Minala looked around herself, she could tell it was a dream by the haziness that was around her. Everything was dreamy. Almost like a picture but behind a flow of water. She was in a hall that she didn't reconize. Someone was speaking, she couldn't catch there words though, they were too distorted.

Ivory

"Well, sitting on her to keep her still won't help much either, I imagine," Audric replied dourly.

A voice from the doorway, in spite of its familiarity, momentarily brought Audric's hand down onto the hilt of his sword.  "Cut her strings."  It was Curio's voice, grave, rough, and sounding with a hard-won confidence from his years in the field.  Audric's frown hardly wavered until Curio stepped further into the room.  "You'd make a lousy sergeant, Captain," the older man groused affectionately.  "I'm surprised you never heard the term.  The boys on the border call it the strings of duty.  A dying man can dance on those strings for a week -- hanging on for one reason or another -- until you release them.  Like a puppet."

Understanding flickered on Audric's face.  He had seen it -- albeit rarely.  Some men passed quickly, while others clung pathetically to life.  These so-called puppets were another breed.  Long beyond the point of saving, they would cling tenaciously -- some even accomplishing great deeds -- until they were assured their mission had come to an end...and then they would die peacefully, most smiling.  It was a moving sight to even the most hardened man.

He had seen his share of action, but Curio was a legend -- he always seemed to be in the thick of any battle...and had seen some of the bloodiest battles in living memory.  He had literally seen it all -- and survived.  It was the chief reason Audric had requested him specifically...  But Audric had never heard that colorful term for it...

Nor did he understand what Curio meant now.

"She isn't dying."

Curio gave him a mere glance -- but that one glance told Audric that he was little better than the lowest worm.  It was one more reason to keep Curio on hand; the man treated Audric like any other man rather than deferring to him with the respect a Captain of the Guard was normally due.  Such men were invaluable -- or so Audric liked to think.  After all, he treated Calent much the same way!

"Move aside," the sergeant replied gruffly.  Pulling up the stool beside the bed, he took off his gauntlets and settled down on it.  His fingers smoothed down the troubled wrinkles on her brow with the gentle strokes only a father could have mastered as he spoke to her softly.  His voice -- usually so gruff, so accustomed to making boys into men and snapping orders -- was quiet and steady, holding the soothing note of comfort.  "It's alright, Minala.  You can sleep a while.  The Duke is safe because of what you've told us.  We have time."

Ycharley

Minala felt like she was falling even though she could clearly see she was standing on solid ground. She took slow steps towards the voice that was so distorted. The voice was quickly growing louder, angry and fierce. The words seemed to infect the air, causing her skin to burn and tingle in an oddly familiar way. Where was she? Finally she happened upon the man who spoke with such power the the words were almost visible leaving his mouth. The man was tall with hair the hue of a fiery sun set. The rest of his features were covered my a cloak, one that seemed to emanate darkness. She looked around and slowly realized it was a funeral, this must be the person's last rights. She walked through the crowd, no one seeming to notice as she approached the body. All but the eyes were completely covered by the shadows of the man's cloak that was speaking. The eyes made her freeze, her skin prickled with icy fear. Everything seemed to fade and fall around her until she was in a pit of pitch black, ice cold water. She was in complete darkness and completely alone until she heard a voice, it was soft, gentle.She could see a hand, reaching, a light, finally she could breath. Finally she could rest.

Minala's body seemed to relax with his touch, her breathing deepening until she fell into a deep sleep.

Ivory

Curio remained where he was, gently stroking the girl's hair until her breathing evened out...and even a bit after.  Finally, he judged his duty done, and he glanced curiously at Audric, who was staring with a bit of a dumbfounded expression.  "Now, that's better.  What did you need us up here for?"  He still spoke softly, using that natural, soothing rhythm that seemed to come so easily to him.  "Softly," he added, as soon as Audric opened his mouth.

Audric promptly shut his mouth again, frowned, and said quietly, "I need the three of you to act as her guards."

"For how long?" the sergeant asked, accepting the order without even blinking an eye.

"The doctor says she'll need to sleep for two days.  We'll have to set up a rotating shift later, and I need to speak to you about our options later."  Fortunately, there was a small table in the corner of the room for them to use, and enough space that, as long as they kept their voices low, the impact on the sleeping patient should be minimal.

Audric was back within two hours time.  It was typically Curio's duty to dispense punishment, but Audric had seen to it himself this time.  He hadn't had a choice.  Once he returned to the room, he and Curio outlined a plan for what was to come.  Between them, they outlined the guards they felt were the most trustworthy -- and those they felt were the least.  Minala's room always had three guards posted -- trios comprised of only those in the trusted category -- with Curio spending at least half of his time there as well as a fourth, unofficial guard during the day.

Audric himself spent a good amount of time there himself.  Sometimes, he and Curio would be there at the same time, but, more often, Audric came at night.  He had fallen back on old watch sleep patterns.  Four hours asleep, then four hours on patrol.  Four hours asleep, then four hours on patrol.  So on and so forth.  He remembered it being easier when he was younger, but his body remembered its conditioning, and, by the end of the second day, he felt as though he had been doing it all his life.

OOC: I'll just leave you to decide when and where and how to wake her up!

Ycharley

The process of Minala waking up was a long one. Her body didn't seem to want to move. At first she just laid there, taking in the sounds of the room. She wondered if there was anyone there. Slowly she opened her eyes and was glad to find that it was dark.

She wondered how long she had slept as she slowly sat up. Her head spinning slightly as she moved, the drugs still having a slight effect on her. She reached down, touching her side, though it was still sore it was much better than it had been.

Minala turned to look over her shoulder when she noticed a reflection of a candle on some glass. She was relieved to find Audric there. She wondered how long he had been there when she noticed how tired he appeared. She turned more, looking him over before clearing her throat slightly. "How long have I been out?"

Ivory

Audric had grown impatient as the second day stretched towards nightfall.  He had already summoned the doctor, who had informed him that the longer Minala slept, the better, and Curio, who had only shrugged and told him that she had continued to sleep soundly for the mots part.

And so it was Audric had found himself in Minala's room with only a single candle to bring light to the shadows.  The chair he sat in was pushed against the wall, and Audric's long legs were propped up on a second chair a few feet away.  It was hardly the most comfortable position -- but that was the point.

He shifted when she began to sit up, drawing himself to his feet and full height.  "Two and a half days," he answered levelly.  He moved over to the door to open it, exchanging a few quiet words with the man outside before closing it again.  Audric had standing orders to summon both food, hot tea, and the doctor as soon as she awoke.

"How do you feel?"

Ycharley

Minala's joins complained loud in protest by popping when she stretched. Her head was still a bit groggy but slowly she was starting to figure things out.

"Well, like I haven't moved in a decade, and I'm pretty thirsty, kind a hungry," Minala started to list off. She swung her legs over the edge of the bed slowly, she needed to move. She moved her hand to her hair, finding a rather tangled mess. Very distinct frown lines sank into her face. She just had a feeling that that day wasn't going to be a good one.

"So, what is the plan?" She asked, her hand moving to her side, feeling the stiff pull from her injuries and not moving as much as she was used to.

Ivory

"The plan," Audric said with a slight frown, "Is for you to take it easy until the doctor can take another look at you.  Stew and tea are on their way up too.  Assuming you pass the doctor's physical exam, you're on light duty.  If you were anyone else, you'd be on bedrest."  He shrugged lightly.  "Doctor's orders."

He'd probably try to convince her to stay in bed anyway.  Hah, good luck with that.

"As for Calent...  We've had a guard on him round the clock."  He glanced over to the piece across the room, barely able to make out the dark hands on the clockface in the gloom.  "Speaking of which, I really should be headed that way soon myself."