Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Opposites Attract!

Started by Ivory, December 24, 2012, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

"Yes, Ha'aheo," Akala murmured quietly.  "I think they may be bad men...  They're foreigners, and I couldn't understand them..."

Well, they were nowhere to be found, now, in any case.  The boat was so near to shore that, surely, a grown man could have stood in the shallow water...and, yet, they had not dragged the boat all the way up onto the sand.  The question remained: what had happened to the men?

"I just hope they didn't drown..."  It seemed unlikely.  They had seemed like able swimmers...  She shivered a little at the thought; it would have been a horrible way to die...and so close to land...  But, perhaps, they weren't the good swimmers she had taken them for.

"Let's keep going," she said with a warm smile, turning her attention back towards the mershark.

(OOC: I honestly has no idea where I'm going with that, so feel free to fill in!)

Paradox

If Akala thought the men were bad , then why did she care about if they'd drowned or not? He found himself not really caring much about their fate. Ha'aheo gave her a curious look, "No worry , Akala. " If the men attempted to give either of them trouble, Ha'aheo wouldn't hesitate to tear their limbs right from their sockets!

He sniffed the air. Maybe he'd pick up their scent? No. The ocean breeze carried all scents, mixed them up and confused his senses. The only thing he could smell was the nearest thing to him. He could smell Akala's blood and he started to salivate.

Slowly nodding and followed her, taking long and awkward strides behind her, "Where go?"

As soon as their backs turned the trio of "bad men" slipped out from hiding behind the boat and ,with weapons in hand, they advanced. Rather quickly, perhaps determined to kill the strange shark man and reclaim their captive. Now that the shark was out of the water, surely he wouldn't be as much of threat. Especially not to three seasoned pirates like themselves!

Ha'aheo was not aware of their coming until they were just several feet away. He half-turned and released a startled snarl. Really? These men were stupid enough provoke him?

Perhaps they knew he was at the disadvantage here. Two men went straight for Ha'aheo with their blades drawn while the third turned his attentions on Akala!

ooc: Oh noes! Will they be captured!? Hrm. Didn't wanna write too much! I can add more though if you'd like! Let me know!

Ivory

"We'll go wherever the gods guide us," Akala answered simply, with the utmost confidence that the gods would provide them that service.  "I was headed south before, so I suppose we could keep going in that direction.  Is there somewhere--"

His growl made her jump in alarm.  Turning towards him, it was easy to see what he was growling at...and her heart sank.  They were back, and, this time, they were armed.

"Ha'aheo," she murmured, "You should go back to the water.  They can't catch you there -- you're too fast."  This was, she thought, going to be bloody either way the battle went...and as bad as these men were, there had to be other solutions than such a battle...

And, besides, if her new friend were wounded in her defense, she would carry that burden forever.

Paradox

Nodding,Ha'aheo turned away from her, seeming to heed her words. The pirates seemed surprised and amused by this . So the big shark man was running away now, was he? They taunted him with their foreign words , but didn't follow. Not at first anyway.

They advanced on Akala, circling her like a pack of hungry sharks around wounded prey. They wore leering expressions on their dirty, ugly mugs. Who knew what their intention for the poor girl could be?

Ha'aheo had nearly reached the water and he was about to leave, but he turned to look back over his shoulder to see...

One of the men tried to grab for Akala and the other two threatened her with their weapons. What were they doing to her? Were they going to kill her? Eat her? Rape her?

Why did it matter to him? He wasn't sure why he found himself turning around and running , yes running back towards them.

They didn't notice him until it was too late. Ha'aheo barrelled into the man who'd dared to point his sword at Akala ,knocking the man flat to the ground. The pirate lost his grip on the blade and it went flying away , falling to the sands a foot or two away. The mershark now  stood over the swordless man, "NO!" Ha'aheo scolded him. "Bad!"  He grabbed the man by the collar of his shirt and lifted him clear off the ground, holding him up high above his head.

Of course, they didn't speak a word of Yoreiqi and simply paused and stared at him for a moment , surprised that Ha'aheo had returned as seemingly naked and vulnerable as he was. They recollected themselves however and turned their attentions away from Akala and back to the mershark whom had foolishly just declared himself as threat.

The man Ha'aheo was holding flailed in his grasp and screamed, probably begging his buddies to help him out and Ha'aheo was tempted to grab hold of the man's neck and crush it. However he did not and threw the man bodily at his friends instead. One of the men dodged the body of his thrown companion narrowly but the other man wasn't so lucky .

"Hehe." Ha'aheo was amused. He welcomed the last man standing to attack him! He'd defeated more worthy foes before!

Ivory

There was no need for all the leering and weapons and threats; Akala stood there passively with her head held high, relieved, of course, that Ha'aheo had listened to her advice.  Whatever the gods had in store for her, she would face with her head held high and her pride intact.

Of course, that was when everything changed.

One of the men had just closed his arm around her slim forearm, squeezing it with a crushing strength that made her cringe...and then, suddenly, Ha'aheo was there.

The man released her to reach for his weapon -- but he didn't get far before Ha'aheo had thrown his colleague on top of him.  She stared down at the pair of men, then, belatedly, leaped backwards.  She practically tripped on the sword underfoot, then looked back to the pair of men with a smile.

She could help after all.

The man on the bottom was out cold, while the man who had landed on top of him merely dazed.  He was already scrambling to his feet and searching for the lost weapon, eventually settling for his fallen ally's before moving to take on the mershark as well.

Left to her own devices, Akala scooted over to the unconscious man.  He would live -- though, she thought, he would find a mysterious prick in his finger when he woke up.  Using a sharpened shell, she sliced open his fingertip -- just enough for a prick of blood.

The blood of an evil man...  It was a potent component.  Using the man's finger, she etched a symbol onto the blade of the weapon, drawn in the man's own blood.  She murmured a quiet chant as she did it, careful to avoid touching even a drop of the stuff.

It drew the spirits to the blade like -- well, like blood drew sharks -- so that they feasted upon it and festered and wallowed in to the energy that was beginning to build.  She stepped away from the cursed object as the sun caught the glimmering blade and the shapes writhing over the top of it.  In the sunlight, they stood as dark, undefined shadows, growing and shuddering like some sort of beast summoned up from the depths of hell.

Paradox

His attacker pressed forward, confident in the very fact that he was armed with an axe and Ha'aheo was practically naked with little more than sharp teeth and claws to protect him. The pirate wasted little time and charged the shark with reckless, berserker-like abandon. Ha'aheo wasn't quite accustomed to land movement , let alone fighting on land and so he was slow to evade. The mershark narrowly escaped the man's initial wide horizontal swing, the axe's blade lightly grazing Ha'aheo's chest and drawing a little blood.

Ha'aheo didn't even notice the sting. He laughed at the Man's attempt and dodged again as the axe wielder returned with relentless persistence, swinging his axe and aiming for the mershark's head. The only thing the blade cut was air. Ha'aeho ducked and, as he rose back to his full height he came up strong, hooking his fist under the axeman's jaw. His opponent's head jerked back and the man staggered. Ha'aheo readied to punch him again but now a second opponent was upon him!

Something slashed across his back, cutting deep and spilling blood. Ha'aheo wasn't quite so amused anymore. He snarled and turned around so quickly then, before the swordsman could recover, he leaped at the man, ignoring the saber that cut into his flesh again. He grabbed the man by the front of his shirt, pulled him in close and chomped down on his shoulder, crushing bone and ripping flesh. The man screamed and struggled to break free of the shark man's jaws, but his efforts were to no avail.

Hearing his companion's screams, the axeman recovered from his daze and charged at Ha'aheo's unprotected back, shrieking something at him (likely a curse!) in his foreign tongue.

Ooc: Dun dun dun!

Ivory

Akala turned her attention away from the gathering spirits, eyes widening in alarm as she realized the danger her companion was in.  "Ha'aheo!  Behind you!"

She couldn't afford to wait any longer!  She scooped up the shell from the sand, where it had continued to collect the blood dribbling from the shallow wound she had inflicted upon the unconscious man.  There wasn't a lot of blood there -- but, unless she cut even more deeply, there would not be.  Still, a few drops would suffice.

The words she said over the shell were whispered, a series of sounds that had no meaning even in Yoreiqi.  They were spell words, spoken directly to the spirits and learned long ago from her village shaman.  She could feel the spirits shift their attention, and, eyes closed, felt rather than saw them clustering around her.

Her aim was not entirely true -- but it did not need to be.  She cast the shell at the warrior charging Ha'aheo, and it bounced, harmlessly, off of his shoulder to fall harmlessly to the sand.  But it was not the shell the spirits wanted; it was the blood it contained, now splattered over the man's shirt.

The misshapen spirits threw themselves after the blood, bearing down on the axeman in a dark cloud of arms and inhuman faces.

And the axeman, seeing the demons at last, fell backwards with a howl of fear, switching targets to the ghostly apparitions.  The axe swept through their insubstantial forms harmlessly -- nor could the spirits do any harm to the man.  Of course, he didn't know that...and that was the beauty of the spell.

Paradox

"Ha'aheo!  Behind you!"

Hearing Akala shouting his name, Ha'aheo released his victim. The man he'd bitten dropped to the sand, hugging his wounded shoulder. He lie there, sobbing and bleeding.

"What, Akala?" Ha'aheo did not need to ask. He saw the man with the axe closing in on him , but he wouldn't have time to dodge. He held his breath and waited for pain or death, whichever took him first. Neither of these things were to come, however.

His eyes shot over to Akala. She threw something. A shell? How was that supposed to help?

As if to answer his question, a mass of ethereal darkness rose up from the shell and cloyed at the axeman. It did not register in poor Ha'aheo's mind that these spirits were harmless or that they wouldn't bother him. He stood there , frozen and wide-eyed gaping at the horrifying sight. Then the panic set in and Ha'aheo turned and fled, running as fast as his legs would carry him to the sea! Before he even got near the water though he tripped over his large feet and kissed the sand!

"Ow."

Ooc: Urk! Dreadfully short, but sometimes these things happen! Forgive meee!

And now, I go to sleep! Zzzzz

Ivory

Akala looked pleased with herself -- until her friend took off running in the opposite direction.  She opened her mouth to call after him, but she had no more done so than he was face-first in the sand again!

She winced and hurried to his side.  "Ha'aheo?  Ha'aheo!  Are you okay?"

Her eyes took in the wounds that now decorated his person, and she cringed.  "Oh, you should have gone," she murmured unhappily.  "I'm so sorry...  You shouldn't have been caught in the middle of all that..."

She would have to heal him, of course -- him and the other man still laying out in the middle of the sand.  The first man was still out, and the third was just a speck on the beach.  She would need supplies...and those were really beginning to dwindle here!

Paradox

Ha'aheo pushed himself up to a crouch , but lost his balance and fell back down onto the sand, becoming seated on his rear. He looked up at her and frowned. Yes, she was right. He should have left her to solve her own problems, but...he shrugged. He didn't quite understand what made him change his mind either. He didn't even have the words to try to explain himself. But she had done unexpected things today and so had he. They were even, perhaps.

"Bad men. No worry,Akala," He assured her. "Ha'aheo big. Strong. Small..." He fished around in his limited vocabulary for an adequate word, "Ow. Small ow. No worry. It no dies. "

He used his arm to wipe the pirate blood from his mouth and then, stuck a claw in his teeth, digging out a small piece of human flesh. "Bleh. No good. " He wrinkled his nose and flicked the flesh from his claw, watching it drop into the sand.

"Big..." He pointed to the pirate ship, " Bad men comes." He meant to say that he thought there might be more pirates on the ship and that if these three had gone missing for too long that they might send friends, but he didn't know how to express that in her language.   

Ivory

Akala's smile was soft and grateful.  "I'd hug you if you didn't mind being touched," she murmured warmly.  It was terribly endearing...  "And, I didn't mean to scare you.  It was just a little trick to frighten them away.  If you had left, I'd be on my way back to their ship.  So, thank you, Ha'aheo."

That was true.  But, if he had simply left, there would be less blood staining the sand...

"I can't just leave that man to die," she told the mershark with a frown and worried glance in the direction of the larger ship.  He was right; his friends could come to rescue him at any time.  And there was also the unwounded man, who would probably wake up soon and resume his attack...  "Even if he is bad."

A sudden gust of wind tore across the beach, suddenly, picking up sand and swirling it around them.  A white feather rode the breeze like a tiny boat, encircling them a moment before landing neatly beside Ha'aheo.  Akala smiled at it a moment, then lifted it up to twirl it in her fingers.

"I understand," she murmured to the feather.  Lifting it, she let the breeze take it again, taking it further down the beach.  With bright eyes, she turned her attention to her new friend once again and extended a hand down to him.  "The spirits think we should go now.  That way."  She pointed in the direction the feather had gone.

Paradox

"Bad men make bad. Bad men dies. That way. Akala no worry. Bad dies. Bad make no bad." Ha'aheo did not understand Akala's desire to help these men whose intentions , to him, were threatening. Creatures with peaceful intentions did not aggressively lay claim anything like these men had tried to claim Akala. He didn't know what they wanted from her, but he had seen men like these before take natives from their lands and enslave them , rape them, beat them and Akala might have shared that fate. His kind were no better. He wasn't much better either...

But not today!

Ha'aheo paid not much mind to the feather that landed near him, but Akala seemed to be interested in it.  He watched her with curiosity. Was she talking to it? He blinked. "Spirits? No Akala. " He laughed , " Is feather." Or were spirits also another word for feather? Two words for a single meaning? Now THAT would be confusing!

He agreed though despite his amusement. More pirates were likely to show up and he couldn't fight them effectively on land. "Okay. Go,"

Were they seriously going to follow a feather though? That seemed pretty silly to him! It might be interesting to see where the path took them so follow he did! Humans were so strange! Talking to feathers....

Or maybe it was just Akala that was the strange one.

He shouldn't be one to think such a thing though. After all he was a bit strange himself!

Ivory

"I'm a healer, Ha'aheo," she answered with a bright smile.  "It means I help those I can, whoever they are or what they've done.  It isn't for me to judge."  She didn't like leaving the men back on the beach to die -- but when the spirits called, she followed.

Her grin widened at his reaction to the feather, and she laughed along with him.  "It is a feather," she agreed.  "But it was the wind that brought it -- and the wind is guided by spirits and gods.  They sent the feather as a sign for us to follow.  And that's what we're doing."

"Do your people have gods and spirits?" she asked curiously as they made their way across the sand.  "I mean, do you place your faith in them or beg favors from them as we do?"  She wondered if anyone had ever had the chance to ask a mershark before...  Probably not.  They weren't usually very conversational creatures!

"My ancestors -- the spirits I follow -- think you're important somehow.  You're destined to do great things someday, Ha'aheo.  They've brought me to you -- and you to me -- twice now.  That means I'm here to help you."

Paradox

Her explanation still made no sense to him , but he had learned to not argue viewpoints with other creatures. That was silly! Humans did not like his kind, but you couldn't tell a shark to stop being a shark anymore than you could stop telling a human to be human. Perhaps healers were just as stubborn...or just Akala.

When she asked him about gods and spirits , the mershark shook his head. No. He did not imagine that they did and he was right. The closest thing his people believed that was godly was nature itself, but did not see nature being controlled by any all-powerful celestial or guided by spirits.  "Not know. What Gods? What Spirits?"

"Im-por-tant?" Ha'aheo wrinkled his nose as he struggled with the word, "Ha'aheo no im-impor-tant. Ha'aeho is Ha'aheo." He shook his head, "Akala helps. Akala make it no dies. Make...magic. Magic help make it no die. Not know why. People see Ha'aheo bad. People...want make Ha'aheo die. Akala no. Not know why.  "

ooc: If he makes no sense, I'm sorry!   

Ivory

"Well..."  That was a bit more difficult to explain!  "Let's start small.  First, there are the spirits of one's ancestors -- parents, grandparents, and so on who have died.  They are around us -- always -- and help to guide us through life."

"And then there are the spirits around us who aren't our ancestors and were never human.  They live in the sand, in the rocks and the trees...  These are the spirits I call on to help me to heal and perform other magic.  But there is always a price to pay.  Some ask for merely a drop of blood.  Others request great deeds be performed.  That is why I had to cut myself when you were choking."

Now, how to explain the gods?  "Even more powerful than spirits are the gods.  There is a god for almost everything -- a god of the sea, of volcanoes, of hurricanes, and so on.  They are beings of great power -- and arrogance.  They demand our respect, and if we fail to provide it, it is in their power to do great and terrible things..."

She mused over that a moment.  It would have to suffice for an explanation...  She grinned at him, adding, "I am a shaman -- that's what we call people like me, who are able to speak to the spirits and heal others.  I do as the spirits tell me -- and they return the favor.  Thus, if they think you are important, you are important, Ha'aheo."

Paradox

"Oh..." Ha'aheo tried to follow what his new friend was gracious enough to explain to him, but she spoke in so many unknown words and foreign concepts that by the time she was finished, he was even more confused than before.

Wait. Did she just say spirits were dead people? And they were everywhere? He supposed that was true. When something died, it returned to the earth and became part of it. Nature always had a way of reclaiming whatever it created when its creation failed to survive. But to say that the dead guided the living! What a silly thing! Ha'aheo had no dead people to guide him. He only had himself.

And somehow dead people tied in to magic? And blood? What? Well, he had NO idea how magic worked so maybe she right about that at least. 

She lost him completely with talk of Gods.

"Ha'aheo comes....to see." He didn't have the words in his vocabulary to say that he did not believe that there was any force at work that had conveniently drawn them together. Ha'aheo was just curious. This was merely his will. Akala had found him and they had connected. It was as simple to him as that. No silly man spirits and Gods involved.

"Not know what say. Not know words. " He admitted and he only felt frustrated because he could not understand her. "Too many words." He frowned, dismayed.

"Akala talk ancestors. Parents? Ha'aheo no talk parents. No ancestors. Ancestors want eat Ha'aheo. "

ooc: If she understands that last bit, I'd be impressed!

Ivory

Akala's gaze was friendly as she watched him struggle to comprehend.  "It's alright, Ha'aheo.  You don't have to understand what I believe -- and I don't have to understand what you believe.  As long as we respect each other..."  She shrugged her narrow shoulders lightly.

Her expression soon morphed into one of utter horror.  "Your ancestors want to eat you?  Why?!"  It seemed a terrible thing...  In Yoreiqi culture, families were fluid things with children sometimes only barely knowing their birth parents -- and sometimes not at all.  But the relationships were never, ever hostile...

It was, simply, the way things were done.

Paradox

Ha'aheo shrugged, " Not know. Is...shark way." Sharks ate their young after a certain point. He never though to wonder why. He just accepted that. Though he had sometimes wondered why some species of creatures nurtured their young. " No Akala way. No person way."

"Strong live. Weak die. Is way. " He told her in a matter-of-fact way. "See Akala weak. No, " He shook his head, "Akala no weak. Akala no...go. Many men. Akala ...strong. Ha'aheo...respect. Think good word," He scratched his head, " not know."

ooc: Laaaaame poooost!

Ivory

OOC: It's okay.  'Cause he's adorable!

Akala was watching him explain with a curious expression on her face, complete with a slightly angular tilt to her head.  When he had finished, she nodded slightly.  "I see.  That makes sense, I suppose."

After all, she couldn't expect everyone to be the same, could she?  That would take all of the fun out of life!

She rolled her shoulders lightly, then reached upwards in a stretch.  Her wings, too, opened with the gesture, and she looked over to peer at them with a frown.  She would have to have them seen to sooner or later...  She could feel the grainy sand shifting against her skin.

That was when she noticed the feather dancing cheerfully in the breeze on a ridge...and, more importantly, the small village nestled behind a grove of trees.  "Ha'aheo...  Let's go get you something proper to wear."  Her stomach growled softly, and she put a hand on top of it with a slight laugh.  "And something to eat."

OOC: Look at us go!  Moving forward!

Paradox

Ha'aheo had stared at her wings. He knew what they were , but did not comprehend their function. He had never seen the Yoreiqi fly though this was what wings were for! To have wings and not be able to use them was like being a fish with a lame fin.

He said nothing and nodded, but his eyes settled on the village and , deep in his gut he could not help feeling some trepidation as their steps brought them ever closer to the trees and the human huts. He did not think the humans of that village would have been as accepting of his presence as this woman was. And they had plenty good reason to fear him.

As they neared the village , Ha'aheo stopped to look at a pair of children that stared at him. "Huh?" He'd seen children before and knew what they were, but he had not realized how small they were until he was towering over them.  "Akala, small ones..."

"Is that blood?" The boy pointed to Ha'aheo's mouth. The mershark's lips were still stained red and the blood, now mostly dried , was still visible on his chin.

"Is blood." Ha'aheo touched his jaw.

"Cool!" The boy exclaimed but the girl next to him didn't seem nearly as thrilled.