Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Another day?

Started by Nam, December 24, 2012, 10:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

Little William, like always, sat at the foot of his door with hands propped over the knees and supporting his chin while his head lazily clumped onto them. His eyes surveyed the area in the same bored expression he always had. Everything was starting to feel like Déjà vu and his life just kept passing through his eyes as he wasted away into nothingness in this boring town of Matron's Hallow. Everyday people went out to buy the exact same goods from the same retailers while this young boy sat at that very spot waiting for her mother to-

"Will!"

Right on cue, he thought. William sighed and got onto his feet. "I know, I know," he said. He had to take the bread dough to the public oven so it would turn golden brown and crispy for them to eat during supper. Will grabbed onto his wooden sword –that never gets left behind- and made way to the oven in town.

Ivory

Kathryn inhaled deeply, enjoying the smells of baking bread wafting through the center of town.  This was such a small place, some distance from everywhere, that she had no fear she would be recognized.  After all, she wasn't in her home duchy, and, even there, she often wore a veil when moving through town.

She claimed it was for modesty, of course, but there were other reasons...like this.  Her maid was accompanying her spinster aunt to mass today, while Kathryn had sneaked away to explore somewhere new.  Other than, perhaps, being far too clean, Kathryn looked the part of a villager, wearing a simple outfit with no jewelry to speak of.  Her hair was braided around her head in the practical fashion so common back in the Duchy of Highheart.  She looked a little out of place here, but not as out of place as she would have had she worn her finery and jewels.

Her horse, a sturdy bay, munched on some nearby grass as she took in the differences of this little village.  Especially this bread-baking business...  She couldn't ask much about it -- that would have made her stand out too much -- but she could certainly watch as the locals placed their bread into the vast oven...and then just...left?  Weren't they concerned someone else would take their bread?

Seizing on the opportunity to interrogate a passing boy -- who, surely, would be less suspicious than the adults -- she asked curiously, "How do you know which bread is yours?"

Nam

William gazed up to meet the dark and rare eyes of the woman whom was questioning him about bread. He studied it for a while, for dark colors weren't common in Connlaoth. Her light skin and blond hair were typical, but not her eyes which seemed to stand out of her face. Something about it was exotic and he would just stare until he realized he was asked a question. Will looked back towards the hearth and then back at the woman.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Does it really matter?" he asked. William had never put much thought to it. Since the first day his mother had started sending him on trips to the public oven to cook their bread, Will had only observed the people around then. Monkey see monkey do; they put the bread into the hearth, they left, and then they came back to pick it up. Will just imitated what he had witnessed and avoided asking troublesome questions that could point towards his ignorance.

The fact of the matter was that all the bread was the same. It didn't really matter if they weren't yours as long as everyone gets their toasted and crispy portion of bread for the day. Will lifted a brow, his wooden sword hanged by the loose grip of his hand as he peered behind the woman to observe the horse munched on the grass; of course, being Will, he didn't know what type of horse it was. He just knew it was a horse.

Ivory

"Oh," Kathryn answered, a bit surprised.  "Perhaps not..."  It still seemed strange to her, but, then, she didn't know anything about making bread.  She would have to make it a point to ask her maid when they were reunited...

Catching his gaze, Kathryn grinned and patted the bay's neck.  The horse was clearly no plowhorse; he was a fine horse, bred to carry men into battle or to carry ladies.  Horses were something Kathryn did know a great deal about, and she didn't mind sharing her knowledge...or her horse, for that matter.

"This is Evoric.  Do you want to go for a ride?"  She gestured to the horse's broad back.  There was no saddle or stirrups; Kathryn preferred to ride bareback when she could.

Nam

William's eyes sparkled to life. "A-are you serious?" he stuttered in disbelief and glanced back at the horse behind her. It was his dream –aside from being a knight- to ride a horse into battle; after-all, the two came hand in hand, right? You can't have a horse without a valiant knight riding it and you can't have a knight without a black scallion. His hands halt at midair. He didn't know whether to go ahead and mount the magnificent beast or wait for her to reconfirm the request. He looked at her, waiting to hear the punch-line 'I'm kidding!' she'd say, and his dream crushed and sunk like a rock. Horses were one of the many things peasants like William could never afford. And as expected, he'd jump at the chance of riding it.

Ivory

"Of course," she answered with an amused chuckle.  "Have you ever ridden bareback before?  It's harder than riding with a saddle, but Evoric's used to it by now."

Looking from the tall horse to the boy, she wondered if he would need help clambering on; she was used to springing onto the horse's back, but, even so, there was a bit of a trick to it...  Of course, given the reason she was out and about, she couldn't be seen with a fine saddle and stirrups -- the horse itself was out of place a bit as it was!

After a moment of indecision, she pulled herself up onto the horse's back and extended a hand down to the boy.  "Come on," she offered with a grin.  "I'll pull you up."

Nam

"I wouldn't know." He replied. Having never in his life ridden a horse, how could he possibly know whether it was easier with or without a saddle? He grinned, walked up to the horse and tried to climb on. It was a big horse and all his attempts to get on were either a test of strength or skill, but his fingers would slip off the silky fur and he's drop back down to the ground. As an afterthought he pondered grabbing onto the long chain of hair going down the horse's neck, what other –more studied- people would call 'a mane'.  But although William was a brute, he was a brute with common sense. He refrained from pulling onto it, assuming it would hurt the horse.

Suddenly, the woman he had been speaking with flew up graciously onto the horse's back and Will admired her from below as a hand was extended. "It's cause she's taller..." he thought, justifying his inability mount the beast. He then grabbed onto the woman's wrist and grinned thankfully as his feet flew off the ground and onto the horse's back. "Cool!" he said, finally sitting over the horse. He could finally say had ridden one –even if all he did was sitting on it.

Ivory

Kathryn was planning to do more than letting him sit on Evoric's back.  Reaching around him boldly, unmindful of propriety (or lack thereof), she took up the reins with relish.  "Hang onto his mane," she instructed, giving a bit of a pat to the horse's neck where she expected him to take hold.

The horse lifted his head, initially annoyed at the interruption of his meal.  At her urging, he began to move at a slow, steady pace.  Kathryn chose a random street and began to guide the animal away from the busy square.

"You've really never ridden before?"  Riding was one of the few things she was allowed to enjoy.  She couldn't imagine not having the option available to her...

Nam

"Whoa!" he panicked, grabbing onto the place the woman motioned towards before the horse began to move and rock him up and down. It was moving quite slow, but something still seemed to launch him upward as if trying to get rid of him. He didn't even want to imagine what'd be like if the horse was running fast. But alas, he was thinking more about the chain of hair he was holding on than the actual horse. The woman had called it a mane, and that piece of knowledge would forever enlighten this unschooled boy. Later he'd be able to brag to his friends about riding a valiant horse and then demonstrate his intelligence by calling its hair a mane. He grinned.

Lifting his gaze from the horse, he began to actually observe his surroundings. They weren't at the main square anymore; they were riding graciously closer to the city walls of Valdasta.

"Well, not just anyone can own a horse you know." He replied, observing a woman sweep the entrance of her home with a broom. It was quite ineffective. The dust would lift and then roll back to where it had come; regardless, the woman continued to sweep and sweep... and sweep. William wondered if others saw what he saw –or maybe there was something he wasn't seeing; after-all, seeing isn't believing. It couldn't be! Otherwise, why would anyone believe in a deity like Angsar?

Will wrenched the thought away and delayed his gaze elsewhere.

Ivory

Kathryn laughed quietly.  What must be it be like, she thought, to live without the freedom of riding a horse?  She enjoyed it like this -- bareback and without boundaries -- much more, but even riding her horse into town or following her father on a hunt gave her a sense of freedom...

"How long until your bread's done baking?" she asked, and, although he couldn't see it, there was mischief in her eyes.  "If you have some time, we could take Evoric out into the meadow beyond the town.  I don't think we should work him too hard, but I'm sure we could get him into a canter at least."  She paused, adding temptingly, "If you would like to and have time, that is."

It probably wouldn't be such a good idea to let the bread burn...

Nam

"It'll be a while," he replied. Since the woman was sitting behind him, he was benighted to her devilish intent, but the thought of going faster only excited him more. "Someone will take it out before it burns anyway." He assured. It wasn't like the oven was left completely unattended. There was a man beside it that would tend to the bread and keep a watchful eye over them. He would also assist villagers who weren't exactly the brightest apple on a tree.

The big exit of Valdasta city was dead ahead with nothing but a guard standing at either side. The doors were wide open and a bricked path led the way. From their position, they could see the vast outskirts of moist grass and a big meadow which stretched for as far as the eye could see. Mountains could be seen from afar, which bordered Connlaoth's territory. William braced himself and tightened his grip on the Evoric's mane. "Let's go!"

Ivory

Kathryn liked this boy's spirit!  She laughed in agreement and nodded.  "Alright, then.  Hang on!  Yah!"

Beneath them, Evoric picked up speed, moving from the slow walk into a trot.  It wasn't until they had passed through the gate that she urged the horse into a canter.

The stallion's hooves pounded on the hard-packed road, sending dust flying into the air behind them.  A warm breeze blew over them, bringing with it the sweet, mingled smells of wildflowers and grass drying in the sun.

It was a beautiful day -- and, obviously, there was no better way to spend it!

They left the narrow road, moving onto the softer earth that flew up beneath Evoric's hooves.  A pair of does glanced up from their meal, only to bolt at the sight of the approaching horse and his riders.  Kathryn was laughing in delight, simply enjoying the feeling of freedom she always felt while out riding -- but keeping an eye on the boy as well.  After all, she didn't want him to hurt himself or the horse!

Nam

William grinned. The rush of the hooves made his heart pound with excitement as he embraced the sun and the wind caressing past his visage. He glanced back at the woman who made all this possible and smiled, promptly returning to the panorama of grassy fields. He just realized he didn't really leave the wall of the city too often –and with the boredom he was forced to endure day by day, it might not have been a bad idea to go out more often. Will clenched his wooden sword tighter and felt like a mighty knight on his stallion, parading across the fields and treading towards enemies and striking them down with his sword. Of course, he only imagined this event of epic proportions. He didn't want the woman to think he was becoming ill.

Ivory

Kathryn was pleased to see her young friend was enjoying himself.  How sad it would be not to get to ride whenever the urge took her -- or, well, whenever the urge took her and it would be appropriate for her to do so...

Some distance from town, Kathryn let the horse slow down, back first to a trot, then to a walk, and, finally, to a stop beside a small copse of trees.  She gave his neck a friendly pat before sliding down to the earth, and, with a grin, she turned to look curiously up at the boy.  "Come on.  I'll show you something I think you'll like."

She lingered just long enough to watch him jump down without hurting himself, and then she stepped into the trees.  The trees weren't thick, but they provided a bit of shelter from the surrounding world.  Kathryn reached up into a crook of a tree to pull down a small bundle containing her clothing, her bow, and a wooden sword of her own -- very similar to William's but of finer quality and made, long ago, to train a much younger girl how to wield a sword in self-defense.

"I have a sword too," she announced cheerfully.  "It was given to me by a swordsman so that I could learn to defend myself should it become necessary.  Of course, my parents don't approve, so I've never really had anyone to practice with."

Nam

William nodded as he climbed down Evroic's back and wandered into the thicket of small trees they had come across. It wasn't very big, but Will soon felt like he had suddenly entered another world as the trees behind him closed and he entered the center of the copse with reasonable space –enough space to... spar. He thought, looking at the woman's wooden sword. It was beautiful. "Whoa," he gasped. "Where did you get it?" his sword was a stick with a handle compared to hers. He grabbed the bow, assuming she didn't stop him, and inspected it. He never tried shooting an arrow before –he probably sucked, and he preferred the sword anyway. He returned it to her. He thought it could be fun to hunt a squirrel and pretend he was in an adventure within the confines of this small forest.

"I don't really have many people to spar with either..." he said, though he probably had more than her. Any other man would have trembled or gawked at a woman possessing a sword and think her to be rather manly, but the thought completely escaped the boy. After-all, her looks and fair skin said otherwise. William gripped his sword and slashed at the air while stepping back for distance. His eyes said it all. He was challenging the woman to a duel so he could show her his awesome moves.

Ivory

OOC: I'm not sure why, but I'm suddenly picturing the little rabbits from the Disney animated Robin Hood playing in the forest with Maid Marian.  And I approve!

Kathryn watched him investigate her bow and sword with a pleased grin -- one that nearly doubled when he issued his challenge.  "Surely you don't mean to challenge me," she stated, even as she fell into the ready stance with both hands on the hilt of her weapon.  Eyes sparkling, she teased, "Aren't you worried about being beaten by a girl?  After all..."  She affected a snooty air, promptly turning her fair nose towards the sky and accenting her voice in the most pompous, overdramatic way she could imagine.  "...I'm an evil queen and ruler of this forest.  You cannot defeat me here!"

So saying, with a laugh, she made to lunge forwards.  A game...of swords, of all things!  How novel -- and precisely the sort of thing she was never allowed to do!

Nam

William chuckled and parried her lung to the side. "Well I'm a valiant knight and that's my horse, Evoric. You can't beat us!" he said with a grin, claiming her horse for his own. Will's swordplay was barely anything to gawk at. He had never had any real or serious training with genuine techniques. All he did was play with other kids and pretend they know how to wield a blade. Everything he did was instinct and raw movements.

He thrust to counter the evil queen.

Ivory

If Kathryn noticed his swordsmanship lacking, she didn't appear to mind.  Though she knew how to hold the sword and how to stand in a proper stance, her formal training had ended a very long time ago.  She knew, too, a few basic moves, though her tutor would surely be appalled at her messy technique.

Anyway, she wasn't trying to disarm her opponent -- she wanted a proper duel!  Besides...  Even a sheltered nobleman's daughter knew that good always triumphs over evil in the end.

"Why do you travel through my forest, Sir Knight?  You've already slain my pet -- the four-headed dragon Cyneric!  What treasure do you imagine lies at the heart of this wood that you risk your own life?"

Nam

"Cinera... wha?" Will was baffled. What was –whatever it was she said? He looked puzzled at the evil queen and wrenched the thought away. "Don't trouble me with your fancy words. I have come for the heart of the mistress you have locked away!" he retorted with a grin. He couldn't think of anything more original, so he just went with one of his fantasies; a knight, his horse, and the maiden in distress which awaited her hero to come forth.

Ivory

Kathryn was entirely untroubled by the details herself.  She was having a blast -- and swordfights were a lot more fun than perfecting the art of knitting!

Nimbly, Kathryn stepped away from him with a laugh.  "I'll never let you take her!"

They joined swords again in a most childish mockery of a real sword fight -- but they were, after all, still children.  It wasn't long before the story had to come to its natural conclusion...

...And the valiant knight had to save the princess.

Kathryn swooned dramatically as she flung her sword away.  "You have slain me, Sir Knight!" she announced, trying, very hard, to keep her snickering to a minimum.  She was supposed to be dying, after all!  "You have won the right to free yon fair maiden!"