Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What the hammer, what the chain

Started by Stelmarisa, January 05, 2013, 02:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stelmarisa

"Sisters? Yes, I suppose, after a fashion...." She was a little wistful. They were, after all, the closest thing she had to real family, even if it was a strange kind of sisterhood. She held up her hand as he bumbled on, stopping his apologies with a gentle smile.

"Do not worry. I can get it back for you." She had heard enough - whoever the chalice was for, they clearly needed it far more than anyone here did.
"Wait here for me."

And she slipped out of the door on silent feet.

OOC: Sorry it's short! I'd have posted her coming back, but wasn't sure if he might do some things, think some thoughts etc while she's gone!

visualspice

Gherrick's lips twitched into a small smile.

"Lotte.." he said after she left, pacing a bit with a finger thoughtfully rubbing at his chin. "Lotte, Lotte, Llllllllllllllllotte."
He tried the name out with a smile, finding himself pausing before the window he could easily make with his escape, only he found the guards approaching and found himself panicking.
He began to move away, head darting around as he realized..
He had no place to go! He was trapped!

Moving back towards the window, he pressed his nose against it until the guards disappeared within. He swore in his native language, then peered over, sweating nervously as he looked at the door.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Stelmarisa

It was many more minutes before Lotte returned.

She had got downstairs and found the chalice easily enough, lying discarded under a sofa. But then the few girls who were still downstairs and noticed her, and began asking questions.
"Where did he go? Did he really leave? Did you get a good look at him?"
"Yes, I told you." She was patient, talking under her breath so as not to attract attention. "Shot out of my room and down the side passage - you know it leads to the street eventually. He looked like a pompous fool - all silk and velvet in those awful colours! And his arrogant air!" But even as she denigrated him to her friends, she couldn't shake that sweet smile of his and the boyish handsomeness that had touched her as he washed. "Anyway, I'm going back up-"

That was when the guards strolled in, not bothering to knock. She seamlessly slipped the chalice up her dress and began heading for the door. The benefit of looking young and innocent was that she was rarely questioned. She did hear the guards begin their questioning.

"... would have been out of breath, from running. Has he been in here?"
She held her breath as she waited for her friends to reply. Luckily...

"No, he hasn't, officer," Saffy replied, all coy smiles. "He sounds handsome though... you can be sure that we'll be keeping our eyes wide open!"

Lotte chuckled as she slipped through the door and started back up the stairs, just hearing the guards' next statement: "Well, we'll wait around the building for a few hours, just in case. He may try to hide here. Don't worry ladies, we'll be in plain clothes so as not to put off your normal clients..."

Any other conversation was lost as she ran lightly up the stairs, holding the chalice to her body through the think pink cloth. Slipping back through her door she locked it and leaned against the wood, grinning at Gherrick. Her cheeks were pink from the exertion, as she reached under her skirts to produce the chalice.

"Got it! You might want to stay up here for a while though."

visualspice

A smile blossomed across his face the moment he saw it.
"Why, thanks, Lotte! Lotte.." he tried it again, wrinkling his nose before he smiled. "An interesting name." An easy smile came next. "Named after any one in particular? Can't say I've ever met a Lotte before."
He set the chalice aside, right next tot he table his red bow staff was leaning against before he gave a short nod.
"Well, I suppose it would be alright if you can stand the company." Gherrick pointed out.  "So this is all yours?" he inquired, glancing about the room.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Stelmarisa

Lotte smiled and quirked an eyebrow as her name was repeated. It was almost as if he was testing it.
"I don't know." She shrugged. "I don't even know who named me - so maybe, maybe not."

She perched herself on the high stool again, leaving only the bed as a seat, and gestured towards it for Gherrick to sit down. It was a narrow room, with an oddly shaped ceiling (being right under the roof) and a window that took up most of one wall,  with a heavy drape pushed to one side. Her furniture consisted only of the bed, which looked comically oversized in the little room, the stool, table with washbasin and jug, and a miniscule wardrobe in the opposite corner. It was lucky that she didn't have many clothes.

"Yes, it's just mine." She nodded, smiling at the idea of fitting anyone else in there long-term. "I suppose I'm lucky - some of the girls have to share a room."

visualspice

Gherrick looked towards the bed, then towards the lady and humbly bowed.
"I'll remain standing, if you please. I would never make intrusions on a lady's bed."
ANd so he did, and he didn't mind it as he folded his arms easily over his chest and leaned beside the wall across fromt he window, so that it cast his form in yellow light.

"And I suppose I'm lucky as well you don't have to share a room," Gherrick replied, again rubbing at the back of his head. "So... how long have you been living here?" he eyed her up. she looked young nad he had to frown. Poor thing.. was she born into this sort of life? THough the smile was easily replaced with an easy smile. She was easy on the eyes, after all and well, very well-kept company, indeed!

Stelmarisa

OOC: Sorry if you saw this when it was half an orphan sentence! I tried to post on my lunchbreak and failed xP

"I suppose I've lived here all my life. I certainly don't remember any other home," she answered quietly. "I don't even know where I was born, really. All I know is that I was born here in Connlaoth, but not actually in Uthlyn. Not that that narrows it down much." She smiled a sweet, sad sort of smile - not sad about her lot in life, which she had long since accepted, if somewhat begrudgingly - but conscious of how pathetic her little life story seemed. And indeed, it was.

"The madam is the only mother I have ever known, and the other girls, as they come and go, become my sisters." And I shall probably live here until I am too old to work was the sentence that her words left unsaid, though a trace of it passed on her face.

She laughed again though, this time at herself. "But I am sure that is much more than you wanted to know. I'm sorry, I don't make small talk very often. Tell me about yourself."

visualspice

Gherrick looked at her. He was charmed. Though, he always was when in the presence of a lady, but Lotte seemed exceptionally sweet, if not a little sad.

"Well," he began, when she turned her attentions toward shim in all politeness. "I suppose you could say i'm a long lost prince, from a long forgotten kingdom who currently resides to his fate of stealing from the rich and giving to the poor." He bowed her to with much grace.
"Though others just believe the story I'm a wanted criminal; a mage."

He said the story so wistfully that, well, as it was done intentionally so, so as to air on the side of indifference: After all, who would believe such a story? All of it anyways, however, the last bit might strike a familiar chord with her if she had heard about any of his growing fame from the people of the slums and poor farmers- though most notably his work was done nearer to the duchy of Allar...

"Though I suppose that all sounds boring, hrm?" he replied in good humor, folding his arms satisfyingly across his chest.

Stelmarisa

A long lost prince! Lotte had not yet lost her childish wonder and her imagination soared as Gherrick told the tall tale.

"A prince!" she breathed, moving to the edge of her stool, eyes wide in awe. "What was your kingdom?" She had heard many folk tales about missing royalty and long-destroyed kingdoms, but never met someone who so much as claimed to from one of them. Even as she knew it was most likely a fable, she couldn't help but ask the question.

"It doesn't sound at all boring - it sounds wonderful! You must have seen the world." She was envious now. "I can't even leave Uthlyn - when I try, I soon get punished." She held up her wrists at this last statement, showing him the cuffs that were fitted so neatly around them - although at the moment they were separate, unbound by the chain that sometimes 'graced' her wrists and ankles.

"Where was this kingdom of yours?"

visualspice

Gherrick's heart sank the moment she mentioned her chains. He couldn't help but comment. "That's horrible. You have no choice?"  He shook his head at the comment about his kingdom, joking aside. "Why can't you leave here?" he asked most seriously.   He had heard of such things but.. honestly, had never run into them- considering this was, sort of, his first time in a brothel.

OOC: Sorry it's short!

Stelmarisa

"Well no, not really," she shook her head resignedly. "Technically, I think I am the property of the brothel - if you can belong to a place, a building. "If not, well then - I belong to Madame Derica. She is both my legal guardian and my owner. I suppose I was sold to her as a baby." She didn't know why, and was never likely to get an answer. A flush rose in her cheek as she relived the old hurt. It was somehow soothing to tell her story out loud, but to her shame she found tears threatening to spill over, and she dipped her head, allowing the blonde curtain of hair to shield her face.

"As it is, I can't leave. I must make my living here and pass my earnings on to Madame Derica. That is how it is - at least for now."

visualspice

Gherrick could not believe what he was hearing.
"That sounds no better than slavery," his worry for her deepened. "Surely you can make a choice to leave?" he hoped, but by the look and sounds of thing, it appeared as though it were not.
"It just doesn't sound right.." he shook his head. "That a woman, or that anyone, would not have that choice in life." He lowered his blue eyes to the floor. "I.. I'm sorry to have brought it up.. I.." He felt his cheeks flush a little in color. He shook his head. "What if I bought your freedom?" he brought up suddenly, then realized, if it were so, should he not need to find a reason to buy all of the ladies freedom? Well, perhaps not.. the others seemed to well...
enjoy this...

"After all, it wouldn't be an entirely insane idea," he almost smiled at the idea, then looked to her.

Stelmarisa

"Don't be."
Tears gone, she brushed off his apology with a shy smile. "You weren't to know, and it was an innocent question.And anyway, it is what it is."

She was about to say more, when his next words stopped her in her tracks. Her face paled, leaving only the lingering flush on her cheeks, now more striking than ever. Such an offer, from someone she had known for so little time! She had to restrain herself from jumping down from the stool to embrace him, and succeeded in making only an involuntary twitch forward.

"I... thank you! But, I couldn't possibly ask you to do that. I am not worth much, but I fear it would be more than I could ever ask you to spend, knowing that I won't be able to repay you for years, at least." Her words were coming out in a jumble, her tongue tripping over itself.
"But... but, thank you for the offer. It's so kind of you..." her mind finally catching up with itself, she ran out of words, and just looked at him hopelessly, speechless.

visualspice

Seeing her expression, the sadness there made him frown again as he looked for her eyes.
"Lotte.." he called her name softly, and approached, taking her hand into his. "If there is anything I can do in this world, it is to help in the comforts of others. To rid those atrocities dictated upon them by men." Gherrick shook his head. "If you feel uncomfortable, by on means will I press the issue. I just-" he cringed, a pang of guilt hit his gut. "I do not like the idea of what you say. It sounds too much like slavery. A person should not be measured in gold." He lowered his eyes for a moment, then looked to hers. "A person is worth their weight in soul. Please," he squeezed her hand lightly. "For all it's worth, I could at least.. try?" he afforded her a soft smirk, one that grew leftward up his cheek.

Stelmarisa

Lotte nodded bashfully and placed her other hand over Gherrick's as he squeezed hers.
"Well, if you're sure that you want to... maybe I will allow you to think about it." She smiled and looked up, grey eyes meeting blue. "I must say I agree with what you say - although I never really thought about it being applied to myself."

"Even if not, perhaps you will come to visit me again?" She shook her hair back to clear her face, smiling up at Gherrick.

visualspice

"Well, it's the least I could do... trying never hurt anyone. Well.. " he laughed a little. "There are the exceptions." he bashfully scratched at the back of his head.  Smiling, he looked at her, then blushed at her comment to visit.
"Visit? Me?" his voice went up a bit in pitch as he looked around, seeming to have a small panic attack over the idea as he clutched a hand to his breast. "I suppose if i must. You know, for good company, I suppose i could brave the sea of women down below."

Stelmarisa

"Oh!" Her cheeks burned as he seemed to dismiss the idea. "Well I mean of course you don't have to. I just thought - perhaps." She was steadily going bright crimson, embarrassed by his apparent rebuffal. "If you're actually here to see someone specific you'll be alright, no one bothers another girl's clients... Not that you'd be a client!"

This was getting worse and worse. "It was just an idea. Of course you can say no. I didn't expect you to come. You must have much better things to do with your time."

visualspice

Gherrick couldn't help but blushed along side her, but was suddenly beside himself with laughter. SHaking his head, in part to get his unruly red hair from his face, he approached her and took her hand, patting it gently.
"It would be an interesting idea to pay to have you as a client, but to merely sit and chat for tea." then he bowed his head sheepishly. "Though, I hope you do not take offense.. I only meant it as.. er.." he blushed, rubbing awkwardly at the back of his neck.
"I say... this does make for an awkward conversation!" he stated, giving a wondrous laugh.
"Maybe one day we will even tell it to our children, about awkward tea at The Cherry-" it was then he stopped himself, blushing.
"That's to say I mean hypothetical children, not that your or I would- not saying someday we couldn't, but... oh dear.." he tugged at his clothing. "It is rather hot in here, is it not?" he said, clearing his throat and moving towards the window, yet when he pulled the drapes aside, he quickly dropped them.

He had almost forgotten about the guards.

Turning back to her he gave a nervous grin..
"So, um, how about some of that mentioned tea to stall for time?"

OOC: Omg.. way..
too..
cute XD

Stelmarisa

Lotte laughed, her blush subsiding. It was comforting to know that she wasn't the only one stumbling over her words, even if the resulting conversation was somewhat awkward.

"Our children, hey?" she teased Gherrick gently. "Well you are taking a rather large step into the future, there!" Even as she joked, her eyes danced with mirth, reassuring him that she was not offended. "But yes... I'm sure it will make for quite a story! Although I'm sure this is not the story of a romantic meeting, that a child would wish to hear."

As he commented about the heat, she slid off the stool and over to the window, deftly pushing it open behind the drape. "There you go. Now it is cool and hidden in here... perfect conditions!" she added with a wink. "And now, I shall go and find us some tea." She hurried out of the room.

She was gone only a few minutes, cleverly avoiding seeing anyone on the stairs, and returned triumphant.

"Food!" she exclaimed as she shuffled backwards through the door, carefully wielding a large tray. It was simple fare - bread and apples, and some slices of beef, with a small jug of wine balanced on the edge. "It's not much," she apologised, setting the tray down on the stool carefully. "And I couldn't get cups."

visualspice

Gherrick blushed when she jested back with him.
"Well, or even our grand children?" he teased, wearing an easy smile, but still sweated over the idea.  He could imagine himself being a father someday, and never considered to whom he'd father children with and well...

He'd leave the thought at that!

Smiling when she opened the window, he nodded towards her and commented, "Thanks." And when she left, he enjoyed a good moment alone with his thoughts, chuckling at the recollection of their conversation from earlier before he sighed.

When she returned, he was quick to her side.
"Here, let me help you." and at her comment about no cups, he simply shook his head. "You don't need to apologize to me. You're doing more than enough."
Staring down at the food, he turned to her with a bit of a grin as he took up some bread and broke himself a peice.

"Ah.." he made a noise. "This bread is nice and fresh." he grinned at her. "It's been a while since I've had something nice to eat." He made a face, sticking out his tongue. "Stale bread get old quick." but he shrugged it away. "But one gets used to it, I'm afraid. One can not have wine and roasted quail everyday."