Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Down with the Old

Started by wolfie, January 13, 2013, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

She heard what Audric and Tomas said. It should have only been her father deceased. For some reason though her mother hadn't made it either. Perhaps it was military that killed her too from that, unless it was the desert that did her in. She hadn't questioned on how had been found before being taken in. She wished she would have thought to ask that.

"It's more than I expected to find my first day in town. I'm not used to the beverages here is there one you or Audric would recommend?" She said feeling a bit out of place still. She had a lot to learn about her birthplace. She had a feeling the lessons would be easier and easier as she went.

"I don't suppose anyone knows someone looking for help?" She asked wondering if there was a job for her here. It would have to look like her main source of income instead of what she would be stealing.

Ivory

"Beer," Audric answered immediately with a wry grin.

Rosie shot him another look of disapproval, then said, "I suppose that depends on whether you like alcoholic or nonalcoholic drinks.  Being a tavern and all, we don't have a lot of the latter, but we could probably find you something."

As to her other question...  Rosie smiled brightly.  "What sort of work do you do, dear?  I can at least point you in the right direction of where to start looking."

wolfie

Ewara gave Audric a disapproving look. She might be from out of town but she had heard of the beverage before. She had noticed Rosie doing the same thing and smiled thinking they were two minds of the same.

"I think Audric is a troublemaker. As for drinks I've never really had anything spirited before," she said sheepishly. When she was in Essryn she was always working on taking someone's money. One had to have a clear mind to do that sort of thing and not get caught.

"Well I didn't really have a job before. The people back home had me looking after their laundry often I guess. Don't think that's a real job though," she said with a sad chuckle. She did the mending too, but it wasn't much considering they didn't wear much at all. She was glad people around here seemed to value clothing - all except Audric.

Ivory

"I'll bring you some water and some beer.  I don't think one mug will do you any damage, my dear."  With that settled, she turned to yell over her shoulder to her husband.  "Tomas!  Bring us a water and two beers too!"

There was some grumbling from the kitchen area -- but it seemed more to be part of a routine than due to any honest dislike or hard feelings.

Rosie laughed out loud at Ewara's comment.  "You do learn fast, honey.  Audric's the biggest trouble-maker I know."  Audric had the grace to look offended.

"Now, you could do laundry, you said?  Most of us do our own laundry, except the lords, of course.  And the bachelors."  She glanced meaningfully towards Audric, who looked offended again but was cut off before he could comment.  "How about working as a maid?  Audric, why don't you get her a job in the palace?"

Audric frowned slightly.  She wasn't a soldier -- what was he supposed to do?  Instead of saying that, however, he said, "Well, I could ask...  I can't guarantee anything, though."

Rosie grinned broadly.  "There.  It's all settled!  Now, I'm going to go see what's taking Tomas so long!"

wolfie

"I'm willing to try anything once. Don't get any ideas, Audric," she said to the beverages. She watched the movements of Tomas and Rosie amused. She wouldn't say as much though.

"I figured that much. Just look at him he's got trouble written all over him. Yes I have done the laundry and the mending," she said not sure if that was helpful. She was relieved when she heard that people did their own. She heard it, but didn't say anything about Rosie saying something about Audric being a bachelor. She guessed as much just by the fact he was sharing a drink with her here. No female would tolerate him doing this even if it was a nice gesture.

She watched as Rosie and Audric talked of her being a maid in the palace. Rosie left to check on things, which was a little bit of a relief. She turned to Audric now that they were alone again.

"I appreciate the predicament this must put you in. If there is nothing available that's okay. I'm sure something will turn up," she said grateful that someone was trying to look out for her. She wasn't sure why she was still there. Normally she didn't stick around this long for anything, but for some reason she felt it would be hard to leave. She figured it must be the good company.

Ivory

"It's not really much of a predicament," Audric answered.  Seeming to suddenly recall he was in the presence of an attractive girl, he shot her another of those broad, roguish grins.  "And it's no trouble.  The Duke's set to marry within the year, so they could probably use a hand.  You don't mind being a maid, do you?  I know it's not the most fulfilling work..."  But it would certainly be something...

"And if you find the time, ah, could you maybe help me out with this?"  He pushed a finger through the tear in his sleeve.  "And there's a matching one in my cloak."  Hastily, he added, "I'd pay you, of course.  I just never really got the hang of sewing..."

"And you had better pay her well, Audric, or you'll have me to answer to!"  Rosie tsked as she returned with a pair of plates piled high with food.  Tomas appeared behind her with a the beers and water.

Audric made another face at her.  "I'm starting to wonder if you know I'm an honorable man, Rosie!"

"Mmmhm."  Rosie answered with a skeptical expression as she placed the plate in front of him.  When she turned to put Ewara's plate down, she winked at the younger woman, grinned, and whispered, "He is a good man, honey.  But don't you ever let him know it."

wolfie

"Work is work I can't turn anything down at this point," she said even if she wasn't looking forward to cleaning out a palace. She had never set foot in one before wondering how she would manage to do her job without picking the place clean. It certainly put her in a predicament.

"Not many have the knack for it. I'd be willing to do so," she said only after Rosie had returned. She would be paid for her services that was a start. It would be work she was looking forward to doing instead of cleaning.

"Rosie, isn't this too much food? I've never seen it piled this high," she said not sure she could eat this much in one sitting. She would try if necessary though, and then maybe not move for a week. He caught the face Audric made making her smile at it.

"You know the meaning of honorable?" She said kidding of course. He seemed to be a good guy had even offered to buy her a drink without knowing her name. There was something kind about him. She wondered if she should be making friends with a solider.

"I can tell, don't worry he won't know," she whispered back not moving her lips. It was a skill she had also trained while working the gullible ones. She wondered how many were gullible here. She would soon find out.

Ivory

"Don't worry.  Audric will eat anything you don't.  Or his men will."  Rosie gestured towards the rest of the room.  "Soldiers never let anything to to waste, as I'm sure you know.  Especially when it's a free meal."

"Hey now!" Audric protested as Ewara jumped on board and followed Rosie's example.  "I'm not just here to make fun of!  I'm a paying customer, Rosie!  And, I bring you other paying customers!"

Rosie snickered at his protests, and her expression brightened considerably at Ewara's little trick.  She laughed lightly and patted the girl on the head.  "You're going to do well for yourself here, honey.  I can tell!  Now, I'll leave you two to eat!"

Once Rosie and Tomas left, Audric returned his attention to Ewara with a grin.  "She comes on a bit strong, doesn't she?  But this really is the best food in town.  Where is it you grew up, anyway?"  He stabbed a few carrots with his fork and began to munch on them quite contentedly.

wolfie

"Good to know," she said relieved. She hadn't the first clue of a soldier's habits. At least she knew the food wouldn't go to waste. She was smiling still as Rosie continued to tease Audric.

"In that get up I'm sure it's hard to take you for more than a clown," she said trying not to laugh. She heard Rosie's praise and was glad of it. It was far and few between that she was ever complimented.

"I like this place, Rosie. I'm sure we will be seeing more of each other," she said happy to have found some place she could enjoy for once. She wasn't used to being this relaxed anywhere. She watched as Rosie and Tomas left them to be alone. She wondered if this was a trick or something.

"I think she's just right not too strong at all," she said before tasting a carrot herself. It wasn't what she expected. Ewara wasn't sure what they had done to these, but she couldn't make herself believe she was eating a carrot. She almost choked when he asked where she was from.

"I grew up in Essryn," she admitted not sure why she told the truth. She had a feeling that would come back to bite her later on. She just wasn't sure how yet. She drank a few sips of the beer feeling it go down her throat. She wasn't sure she wanted more the way it stung.

"Have you always been here?"

Ivory

"Essryn," Audric echoed thoughtfully.  That was interesting...  It made him wonder how she had gotten there...and how she had come back. "How did you know to come back here?" he asked, curious.

Her question made him grin slightly.  "Nah.  I guess you maybe don't know this since you grew up in Essryn, but men in Connlaoth are soldiers.  All of us."  He was well-aware that other countries were different, even if he couldn't imagine that life.  "So, I was born here.  Grew up in the palace, actually."  He smirked proudly at that.  "I served on the borders for ten years, then came back here two years ago.  And I've been here ever since."

That was the abbreviated version, anyway!

wolfie

"When I was found by the woman who raised me she had a flag with my name on the back of it. It was the flag of Connlaoth, so it was just a matter of choosing the correct place in the land. I guess I just got lucky stumbling here," she said not sure why she had chosen Uthlyn to visit first. Maybe it had been an instinct.

Ewara listened as he told her a quick version of his life. She wondered about the small details he was leaving out. She didn't ask though figuring that was just his way.

"I'm learning that. You don't look much for a solider I'm guessing your pay must suck," she said teasing him again about his clothing. She couldn't help it now that she knew it was okay to tease him. She reached for the beer thinking maybe she should give it another try anything could be misleading when looking at it.

"If you were in the palace why did you come back here?" She asked figuring it was a fair question. It was the one thing that didn't fit with what he said. She could see a solider wanting the glory of a high post not someplace like this. She ate some more of the food finding that he was right about that, not that she would admit it.

Ivory

Audric nodded slightly, accepting her words at face value.  He couldn't imagine what it was like not knowing where you came from or who your parents had been...

Setting down his mug after a swig of beer, he said, "Hey, I told you!  I'm in disguise!"  Obviously!  "This isn't what I usually wear!"  Really!  His protests were delivered in a light tone, and it was clear he accepting her teasing for what it was and took no offense.

"Well, I was the ward of the former Duke of Allar.  His son, Calent, was sort of a brother to me.  I went to war and came back to find that Calent had assumed power.  And, since his security was kind of terrible, I decided to stay on and help out.  Besides, I'd been a soldier long enough."  He looked faintly amused as he thought about it.  "So I made myself Captain of the Guard.  And one of my duties as Captain is to gather information -- about everything and from everyone.  That's where this comes in."  He plucked at his collar lightly to indicate that he was talking about the uniform.  "The local thugs know who I am, of course, and know I pay good money for what they're willing to tell me.  Their counterparts in other cities, however, wouldn't trust a guardsman.  Thus the disguise."  He shoveled a bite of food into his mouth, chewing it as he thought.  He swallowed it before adding, "And if you must know, these particular thugs decided they liked the look of my purse.  Thus, the..."  He fiddled with the tear in his sleeve, then shrugged with a grin.  "I got what I wanted, at any rate."

wolfie

Ewara laughed at his outrage. She hadn't laughed like this in awhile. She wondered why it couldn't always be like this. She wanted the fun along with the work it was decided. She just wasn't sure how to accomplish this.

"Uh huh sure," she said still goading him a little. She had noted the light tone. He wouldn't still be sitting there with her if she offended him. She figured he might like it actually. She listened to what he was saying about the Duke of Allar and his son. She thought it was wonderful how loyal he was.

"Captain of the Guard, interesting," she said freaking out on the inside. If he ever found out what she really was interested in doing for a living. She wondered who these local thugs were and if they were. It intrigued her who the competition might be.

"I guess that's what matters," she said not sure what to make of all this. She wondered how much more ironic her life would be. What would he think of her if he knew the truth? Did he suspect anything?

Ivory

Audric chuckled, then took another large bite of his meal.  He was practically wolfing it down, in spite of their conversation.  "It sounds a lot more impressive than it is," he answered after he had swallowed.  "It's mostly a lot of tedious work -- arranging rotations and defenses just in case something happens.  It usually doesn't.  And my authority ends at the palace wall or with the Duke's person, so I have nothing to do in the city.  Most people don't realize that -- they think a guard is a guard."  He stabbed a few carrots with his fork, looking thoughtful as he did so.  "We actually don't really  get along, come to think of it."

He swallowed another bite, then pointed to her plate with his fork.  "How's the food?"

wolfie

Ewara listened glad she wouldn't have to deal with him if she just kept her pick pocketing to the city. She had been thinking the same thing, but was glad for once to be wrong. Would he guess what she was up to with her other name? What would he do if he ever found out about her?

"It still is impressive no matter what you might say. You are Captain of the Guard. That can't be an easy thing to accomplish nor something to keep doing day in and day out without being like you," she said giving him a bit of a compliment. She wouldn't do it often, but it sounded like he needed it just then.

"It sounds like you have your hands full trying to do your job. Perhaps the other guards don't realize like you or I do," she finished before he asked her how the food was. She thought about what to say about the food not sure what words to use.

"I've never tasted anything like this. I'm glad you thought to bring me here it's done great good. Any other place I might not have learned about my parents," she said blushing a little. She drank some of the water thinking going between the two might help her. She just wasn't use to beer. The food was what she enjoyed along with the company.

"Do you have any siblings?"

Ivory

Audric grinned in response to her compliment.  "Well, it's no picnic," he acknowledged with a chuckle.  "But I'd be lying to say I'm here strictly through promotion and achievement.  I just told the Duke that I was his new Captain, and I didn't give him a say in the matter."  If he were any other man, he probably would have been arrested!  Calent had been surprised but, if Audric were any judge, not entirely displeased to have Audric's company.

"I'm glad we could find some information for you," he answered, still smiling but now looking a bit more serious.  "Rosie is a good person to talk to, no matter what you need.  She likes to scold though," he warned with a light chuckle.  "Her only son was killed, so she's taken it on herself to adopt the rest of us."  His smile vanished altogether, then, and he leaned forward to speak to her more quietly.  "Speaking of which, you'll have to forgive Tomas.  Their son was killed in action, and he's very proud of him for standing his ground when he could have run and maybe lived.  That's probably why he felt like he had to belittle your father.  You should try not to take it personally, though I know it's hard.  Tomas is a good man, but he has his moments.  As we all do."

Warning delivered, he settled back in his chair.  "I have two sisters.  They're merchants.  Run one of the largest shipping companies in the region, in fact.  I would have bothered them to put you up for a few weeks, but if you work as a maid, you'll get a room at the palace.  And food.  Not as good as Rosie's, obviously, but it's edible."  He pushed his plate back from the edge of the table, contentedly stuffed.  "So," he asked with raised eyebrows.  "Who are you supposed to be meeting in town?"

wolfie

"I guess that works," she said not sure what else to say to him telling the Duke something like that. He was bold that was for sure. She ate some more knowing she was getting full fast. Ewara wasn't used to big meals or having a say in the matter of things. It was different. She was getting used to change.

"I don't mind if she adopts me I have no family that I know of. Might be good to have someone like her around. As for Tomas, I didn't know my father well enough to take anything he says in offense. If I did I might be able to," she said sounding a little sad. Things could have been different, but they weren't. It was what it was and she would just have to accept that.

"Well if I fail as a maid it's good to know there's a backup plan," she said chuckling. She wasn't sure if living in palace was a good idea. How in the world would she be a thief if she was in a palace? She was going to have to find a way to decline this and see if she could find another job maybe in a field she knew. She was looking a little uncomfortable just then. She heard his question and realized she had forgotten the lie she told him earlier. Should she come clean?

"Oh that, just an old friend. He wanted to make sure I got here okay instead of me just sending word," she said still lying through her teeth. She knew she needed to stop lying to this man, but she couldn't help it. Once started things sometimes got out of control. She would just have to keep that one simple enough.

"So what do you sisters ship?" She asked interested a little. It would be a good way to fence a few items without them knowing if she was involved with that line of work. It still didn't interest her enough though. She just couldn't imagine working like that. There had to be something calling for her talents.

Ivory

Audric looked at her thoughtfully.  He had a feeling she was lying about that other friend, though he couldn't put his finger on what, precisely, made him think that.  Rather than embarrass her (or himself by being wrong about his assumption), he smiled and nodded.  Besides, it wasn't his place to judge.  "Well, when he comes into town, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to see him.  The palace is hardly a prison.  Once you actually get started there, you might find it a little harder to find time, I expect.  It's hard work, but the pay's pretty good since you don't have to pay for board or food.  Plus," he added cheerfully, "You'll have the pleasure of my company!"  He was really just kidding with the last!  Really!

"Commodities," Audric began in answer to her question.  "Spices, cloth -- those sorts of bulk items.  It isn't as exciting as you might think, but they turn over a pretty good profit, so we can't complain."  He glanced over her plate, then laughed out loud.  "You look like you're starting to slow down a bit."

wolfie

"I'm sure the palace is nice and all, but it sounds like its less freedom. While it might not be a prison, I'm sure given my upbringing it might eventually feel like one," she said hoping he wouldn't take offense by that. She didn't like that her time would be limited either. She would need free time to be able to keep her skills sharp.

"Oh well when you put it like that I should have started yesterday," she said teasing him about the last part. She listened as he talked about his sister's shipping trade. She blushed as he noted she wasn't eating as much any more.

"Well I'm not used to big meals. I'm slender for a reason," she said sighing and shaking her head. She had a feeling Rosie wouldn't like this.

"If you are worried about it going to waste help yourself."

Ivory

"Oh?" Audric wondered curiously, his expression amused.  "And what kind of upbringing did you have then?"  After all, people worked -- and they worked hard!  "I'm sure we can find you some extra work to do around the palace -- on a temporary basis.  That way, when you feel you're ready to move on, you can."

He thought it sounded like a pretty darned good solution!

"I wasn't worried about it!" he laughed out loud.  "Besides, I need to keep my figure as well."  That was a joke, and he grinned to let her know it.  "Just wondering if you're ready to get out of here yet?"