Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You never know what's happening...until you're right in front of it.

Started by Sunflower Dawn, February 16, 2013, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunflower Dawn

For the time being, Manx wasn't angry.  He could have been, actually.  His day had gone downhill since breakfast.  Which, of course, was why the wind was blowing fiercely and the clouds had gone dark.  He was counting on the two jobs he had had lined up...in the morning he was supposed to report to the town market to do a little bit of fish wrapping.  But when he got there, the place was closed due to a death in the family.  And then there was the logging job.  He was supposed to help out with the local mercantile, as they had an order for a house to build.  He went to that job right after lunch, only to find out that two of the men scheduled to work with them had a tree fall unexpectedly...right on their legs.  They might be crippled now, Manx didn't know.

Usually Manx would feel sympathy.  But not today.  Instead, he rolled his eyes and thought about the boredom at home he would be subjected to.  He wasn't too pissed off, though...he knew better than to be that way with a whole bunch of trees around.  If he was too angry for his own good, he'd end up tearing trees right out of the earth and doing a lot of damage to his home.  So, Manx was indifferent today.  He turned numb to the boiling point in his mind, so as not to ruin the forest he loved. 

There was something happening, though...  Something he couldn't quite put his finger on.  And that bothered him.  Manx liked to know exactly what was going on in life, and when he didn't understand something it usually irked him.  Something was going to happen...and soon.  He just didn't know for the life of him what kind of experience it was going to be.  Manx looked up and saw his lonely cabin in the distance.  He didn't really want to go home, there was nobody waiting for him.  All that the cabin offered was silence and a lot of mindless thoughts.  So, he turned around and started walking back the way he came...focusing on what he could do to keep active.  He couldn't afford to get too angry.  Nobody needed a storm today.

visualspice

So much death

There had been so many innocents that had died, and the town wasn't even that large, just a small farming town at the boarder of Connloath and Serendipity. But it happened. And like every time before, she had no idea how to stop it. But she never could. Nobody could.

As always, it came without warning, as a slight burning sensation within the pit of her belly, the scent of fire and death at her nose, and even a bristling flame consuming her vision until she was nearly blind and her world would disappear into white, hot, hot white flames. So hot, to her, it was cold.
And the town and everything within it would be destroyed.

She would wake up, hours later, her body sore and exhausted, a throbbing pain inside her head; and a world decimated, completely burned to the ground around her, and not a speck of life in sight. And she was cold. So very cold as she shivered, the smoke billowing from broken buildings and other remains. And as always, tears consumed her eyes and she sobbed until she couldn't sob anymore.

There was so much death. So much innocent death because of her.
Why? Why had she been cursed with such a power?

She took off.
The teachings.. the church..
None of it helped. She still.. she still had the power. And she was so terrified she did not stop running for days, weeks.. months.... It wasn't until she passed out, somewhere very far away that she finally contemplated stopping somewhere for something real to it.  And it would have surprised even her to realize she had somehow stumbled into Adela.
But that was far from her thoughts as she fell into a long, dark sleep; one that felt as though she had slept for days.

And when she awoke, it was the most beautiful day she could conceive. Rising, her eyes took in the beauty of the flowers and fauna around her, a gentle blue butterfly flttering across the skies, birds chirping, singing radiant songs of love of the day and of life, an da nearby gushing stream tickled her senses and reminded her she had eaten or drank anything in days. Dragging herself near to it, she began to scoop up water, drinking the cold waters down easily in her choked and parched throat with hunger. It was only after her thirst was quenched that she noticed, off in the distance, there was a town. And the very vision of it sent a chill to her heart and froze her entire body in fear.

So she kept away, fearful and hiding, but studying the town from afar. Though it was peculiar, throughout the day the weather began to change, and the winds chilled her, causing her to shiver and wish she had run away in better, more prepared clothes. But none of that mattered, all she could think about was she needed to get away from that town just in case.. just in case more innocent people were to die (even though her power happened so rare, it did not do a thing to comfort the strain on her senses as her mind reeled over it). But her stomach lurched and her desire to eat made her head all but too dizzy.  She was so hungry, and so fearful, she found herself, at one point, so famished that it alone gave her the strength to approach the town, but at the last minute she'd turn away, leaning against a tree, both weak at heart and weak from malnutrition that she began to tremble, sobbing almost until she heard something.

Holding her breath, Odessa turned around to notice a man approaching on the trail. Panicked, she thought to hide, but somehow, her legs failed to obey her and in fact, did the worst thing for her as a dizzy spell washed over her and her legs gave out beneath her as she collapsed onto the ground in a soft, meek noise.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Sunflower Dawn

Manx looked up from his thoughts in confusion.  What was that?  he wondered.  He looked ahead on the path that he was on and saw a form, just lying there.  Manx gasped as his first thought was of helping this poor creature, whatever it was.  He edged closer, totally forgetting his ill mood.  It was then he saw it was a girl, close to his age.

He stood over the still form and studied it a moment, wondering if he should try to wake her up or run to get help.  He didn't know much in the way of healing, but he could try something...

"Are you alright?"  he said gently.  When there was no response, he knelt by the girl.  "Hey..."  he shook her shoulder softly.  The girl stirred and flittered her eyes, as if trying to open them enough to see who had roused her.

Seeing that she was a bit startled, Manx held up his hands in a peace gesture.  "It's okay, you're okay...I think you just fainted, is all.  Are you okay?"

visualspice

When her mind had returned to her, she gasped, clutching a single hand against her breast as she thought her heart was going to beat clean out of her chest. At first she shook her head, then pouted, crying almost as she had no idea as to what she ought to say.

"I.. no.. Please, please stay away, I-" but she was in no state to force the man away and once her breathing had calmed she felt the same numbness as earlier. She needed to eat something, something real that wasn't just berries or other meager things she could scavenge from the forest. Having lived in Connlaoth for a while, her body had adapted well and was used to eating meats and breads...
and having not had any of those elements for some time, and not much to eat of anything at all, for that matter, her body was in a mild state of shock and she feared she could not rise off of the ground.

"I'm afraid I'll only hurt you. Please, don't concern yourself over me," she said, not daring to lift her head to look at him, feeling ashamed and too weak for much else.  "I... I just need to eat. But it will pass. I just.. I just need to get back to the forest."

And far, far away from people she could hurt.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Sunflower Dawn

Manx was intrigued.  In fact, he was so intrigued that he knew he was about to do something stupid.  This girl was attractive, more attractive than most girls he knew...and she was in a state of stress, which appealed to him.  Once again, he'd save the day.  So, he began to mollycoddle her into melting toward the ways of the Great and Mighty Manx.  Something in the back of his mind told him that this girl wasn't like any of the rest he'd known, though...something about this girl was almost unapproachable.  He could see that she was dreadfully fatigued, and from that knowledge he guessed that she wasn't thinking too strongly.  He'd been there, once upon a time.  He knew what it felt like to be so helpless that you couldn't go on without somebody to help you. 

In his mind's eye, his father was bellowing orders at his mother while young Manx hid underneath the bed.  In his mind's eye, his mother would cast her eyes downward as if in shame, even though she had done nothing wrong.  It's just the way things were back then.  Manx had since grown into a man, no longer helpless.  It's true he had taken on some of his father's brass ways...but he had also gotten the tender ways of caring for others from his mother.  It was this caring that Manx had felt when he had heard the girl speak.  It was as though his heart had opened up a tiny bit, and he secretly liked how it felt to use the compassion he had buried so long ago.     

He touched her shoulder.  "Hey, it's alright...I'm not going to bite you.  You're not well, and you're not going to make it very far if you don't eat something now.  I've got a warm and cozy cabin about a quarter of a mile from here...and it's well stocked with food."  He smiled that boyish charm that he knew drove the ladies wild.  "What do you say?"  he said as he stood up and held out his hand to her. 

visualspice

"I.. I couldn't possibly," she began, but found herself staring out at the offered hand. She stared up at his face. He had a kindly face, and one that warmed her breath. She found herself unable to say no, but she couldn't say yes either, so she simply nodded her head and slipped her smaller hand into his own.

OOC: Sorry it's short but um... yeah D:
Short posts happen D:

Sunflower Dawn

Manx was still intrigued.  He knew she was gonna be shy, because they didn't know each other at all...but this was something else entirely.  Manx understood her to be frightened...so frightened that she was trying to protect him by saying stuff like "stay away from me" and "don't concern yourself over me".  He didn't understand that, he really didn't.  She seemed harmless...much like an animal caught in a trap...but he didn't see the reason she felt that way.  There wasn't anything to be afraid of here, that much he knew.  It was just a forest...not a war zone or a prisoner's land.  There wasn't anything here but a copse of trees and Manx's cabin.  A few foxes and maybe a couple of bears, but they wouldn't bother you unless they were provoked.  He was intrigued, alright.  Intrigued because he just didn't get the girl's reasoning...not yet, anyway.

And he wanted to understand, that was the part that baffled Manx.  He usually didn't want to get to know anyone, much less a girl.  There was something about her...something delightful and strange.  He wanted to get to know her, but he didn't have a clue on how he should go about it.  She was scared, yes.  He certainly didn't want to scare her further.  Manx wasn't used to walking all over eggshells to please another, and he wouldn't have...except this girl intrigued him. 

He shrugged inwardly at his mixed emotions as the wind picked up and blew the leaves in disarray.  Helping the girl to her feet, he smiled at her once more.  "I'm known as Manx.  I live in this forest, this is my home.  I won't let anything here harm you, little one.  Do you have a name?"  he asked her.  "And, if you don't mind me asking...what kind of people treated you so badly that they wouldn't let you eat?"

visualspice

Odessa was uncertain how to answer the man.  How could she explain herself, what she was and what power she possessed? It wasn't he harming her that she worried about. It was she harming him and the fear was still quite evident in her golden eyes.  Her skin faired the same, soft and golden, catching the meager rays of sun that were muted behind the dull drapery of grey clouds.  ANd her hair, appearing black, swam around her sweet delicate face and rested and spilled across her shoulders while her ears pointed out just so at the sides. But not tremendously so, just enough to give the impression of her partial elf heritage.  Yes, she was pretty. Yes, she was fine; but she was also a dangerous creature; if not in heart, (which that she was clearly not, she could never consider harming a fly and woudl rather suffer herself than others so needlessly); but of something else hidden, brewing, dark and quiet within.
She shivered again, recalling his question.

"I'm Odessa," she finally settled on at least giving him her name, but the guilt could no longer be contained within her as she clutched a hand to her chest and gritted her teeth, cheeks blossoming in a sorrowful, guilt laden glow.  "And no one has treated me this way I-" She choked on the words, not sure how to explain it, but drew in a careful breath, eyes darting away, ever fearful, ever full of worry. "I've done some horrible, horrible things and I-"  She choked again, fetching a hand over her lips as tehy trembled and tears came to her eyes.
"Please, if I could jsut have just abit of bread. I will be on my way. I don't wish to harm you. I was merely passing through, but you are being so kind and oh - it would never do if it were to come back if-" Then she realized she was saying so much and she fell back into silence, merely shaking her head. "Please.. even just a crust of bread. That would be enough."

Sunflower Dawn

So...this girl was afraid of hurting him?!  Now Manx was really baffled. 

But before anything happened, the girl had to eat.  Now.  And Manx knew that a crust of bread just wouldn't fix her fatigue.  No, Manx thought.  There's no way I'm going to just feed her some bread when it's quite obvious that she needs a good meal.

He realized that the expression on his face must look skeptical, so he started making more conversation.  "Well, Odessa...it's nice to meet you, although it might not have been proper under these circumstances.  I mean, you're in need of help and I just happened to be on the same trail as you when you fainted."  He wasn't good at "making nice" but he wanted to try.  Manx was used to living alone, doing things by himself, his way.  He realized that they were still just standing there, so he gently guided Odessa along the trail towards his cabin.  "It's just beyond that thicket over there..." he told her.

As they walked along, Manx thought about what she had just said.  She told him that she had done something horrible, and...well, Manx couldn't really believe that.  This girl was incredibly too meek for a horrible act.  He doubted she would hurt anyone, willingly.  He decided that it was probably just a case of her hackles being raised and stretching the truth a bit.  Girls did that when they were guilty of some minor infraction.  It was more than likely something along the lines of a misunderstanding with her parents or something like that, Manx thought.  But still...he wanted to know what she thought of the situation.  She brought up the subject, so it might be easy to find out from the horse's mouth.  He decided to just ask the questions he wanted answers to.

"I really don't believe you've done something horrible, Odessa."  Manx stated bluntly.  "I mean, look at you.  You're a girl, for one...and you're not really built for fighting, so..."

He stopped momentarily and looked straight into her eyes.  "What did you do?"

visualspice

Odessa was grateful for the help, but she couldn't help but have the fear gnawing at the back of her mind. But she was also weary, so dreadfully tired that she almost did not put up much of a resistance at all.  He would be right to assume she needed more than bred, and her dizzyness was well evolved from so many tiring days on her own.

But the, he bluntly told her he did not believe her. Her lips fell open and she was not certain how to react. But, she supposed, yes, she did not quite look like a frightening beast...
which made it worse.
She looked about as meek as she felt. So she did all she could do..

and pouted.

But then, at his last question, she could have fainted.
She went ghastly white and had to avert his gaze, unable to talk as tears welled up within her eyes. She wanted to run away from him, like she did with every person she had seen on her long, hot trek from Connloath, but her legs were too weak... and she still too dizzy that when she tried, she found herself merely crumpling pathetically against another nearby tree.
"Please, I'd.. rather not talk about it."

Though it wasn't fair... but she was awfully fearful and she needed to eat and ...
she was suddenly clutching her hands together, preying to Angsar for forgiveness.

Sunflower Dawn

Manx watched her turn white and slump against the nearest tree and he could have cried with anguish.  Good Gods, what have I said?  Manx thought in desperation as his emotions turned from severe fascination to severe alarm regarding her reaction to the conversation.

Instinctively, he reached out to grab her as she went weak before his eyes.  "Hey, there...you're alright...take it easy, will you?!"  Manx was growing frustrated at the situation because there didn't seem to be any way to fix whatever was ailing her.  "As the Great Sky as my witness, I do not wish to harm you further with my drivel.  Let's get you home, little one!"  He grabbed her hand and forced her along the path toward the cabin in hopes to feed her so she'd at least make more sense.  He'd find out what had happened to her after she had some porridge in her belly.

As they walked, he took note that the weather had changed again.  It often did whenever Manx was emotional.  One minute it could rain and the next, a bright summer's day.  It often confused the new people he came to know, but he was quick to explain his ability.  Right now, however, he wasn't about to confuse Odessa.  She had enough problems.  So he just let the clouds darken and the thunder rumble, a sure sign that Manx was irritated.  He didn't see any lightning flashes, which was a good thing.  Lightning was dangerous around Manx, because he could make it go wherever he wanted it to go...but Manx wasn't exactly angry.

He was just frustrated.

visualspice

It wasn't just him pulling her away and guiding her off to his cabin that jarred her from her own self-pity, but the sudden rumble of thunder in the sky had her jumping a bit as her hair stood on end at the back of her neck. She peered up curiously at the skies, not having realized a storm might be coming as she pressed nearer to Manx as they walked, trying to not be foolish and trip over her own two feet as they made their way through the dusty trail and brush.

However, as they neared the house she bristled, and haulted suddenly, the grip on her hand to his tightening, just like the knot inside her throat. SHe tried to swallow it away, tried to be strong before turning to him.
"Please.. before you let me in, let me explain,"s he began, hesitation, fear evident in her quivering voice. "I..." she pouted, not sure how to divulge her secret, but just said it, the expression alone making her feel a bit more relieved. "I have a power. A power that can kill so many innocent people and and.. I have no idea how to stop it or start it. It just happens. So I fled the last place where I was. I left it and.. by the Gods.. I do not deserve you to be so hospitable to me but I am so hungry. I just fear that it could.. it could go off next and I.. I.." and here, she began choking on her sobs, unable to finish what she wanted to say as hot tears rolled down her cheeks. She lowered her head ashamedly, shaking it lightly.
"I'll... understand if you want to cast me aside. I... just some bread." she pressed, lips quivering. "I.. I am just so afraid and so tired." Her eyes finally rose to meet his. "I'd feel so guilty to kill someone so kind. Please.. if we are just quick then maybe.. maybe it will be ok. or if not.. I.." she licked her dry lips, keeping them open, moving them as if to speak before she did. "If not, I understand."
She was dangerous, after all.

Sunflower Dawn

She really has lost her mind... Manx peered at the girl in quiet confusion.  I don't think it's the lack of food talking here...she's simply not sane. 

And she had rendered Manx speechless for a moment, something extremely hard to accomplish.  Manx always had something to say about any given thread of thought.  So, he nodded silently and opened the door to his humble abode.

Inside lay a home with decent trimmings and decorations.  Manx had always taken care of his home, even if he couldn't provide for it nicely.  He wasn't rich by any means, but he worked hard enough to make sure he was well off.  It was warm still, from the fire he had banked that morning.  It was a nice atmosphere from the storm brewing outdoors.  It smelled of pine and fresh cut wood, as it always did.  There was a leather covered bench on the far wall, and Manx led the girl to it.  Beckoning for her to sit, he peered closely at her.  "Are you alright?  I mean, aside from starving to death.  Can I get you anything...a blanket?  A cup of water?  It'll be a few minutes while I prepare our evening meal, but I can make you more comfortable if you'd like." 

He checked on the fire burning in the stone wall, added a few more logs to it and stood up.  "You're not going to shiver tonight, that's for sure.  I'm going to make sure you're warm and fed."  Manx nodded firmly, bound and determined that whatever had scared her so bad was gone by morning.

visualspice

Odessa wasn't sure what to make of this. He still wanted to help her? Oh, she prayed silently to herself that the power would not come. But she, being so hungry, just let herself be guided away- Later she could hate herself. Later she could repent, but for now, she merely nodded her head.
"I.. I could use something to drink."
Then she shivered, and lowered her eyes, appearing down cast.
"And perhaps a blanket."
She shuffled uneasily as she requested it, even though he asked she felt... wrong in doing it. As if she was merely going to use this man to build up her strength.. only to possibly leave his town decimated the next hour. oh, how horrible that would be! She grimaced at the thought, but still, kept her eyes down cast on the floor, too afraid to let them sweep over the room and study it.

Sunflower Dawn

Manx wanted to shake some sense into her.  She was so pathetic!  It was one thing for a woman to let the man take the lead, especially when they were in his home...but this?  Odessa seemed to be afraid of her own shadow, she was so overtly submissive!  Not wanting to ridicule her in the fragile state she was in, Manx simply turned on his heel and fetched a blanket from his sleeping quarters.  He came back to where she sat on the bench and handed the blanket to her.  "Wrap this around your shoulders to keep off the chill, Odessa.  I'll get you a cup of water while I make our porridge.  I have some rabbit left over, I'll put some of that in.  You'll eat a meal, little one, not just a piece of bread.  While you're here with me, I'm going to see to your needs...and that includes the one you have regarding your mental state."  Manx said matter-of-factly.  This was his responsibility, after all, and he was going to make sure she left with a clear head.  It wouldn't do to have her fainting on some unknown path again.

Without another word, Manx went to the cooking room where his pantry was kept.  He grabbed a pot and his stash of spices and vegetables, as well as the already-skinned rabbit.  He was a good cook, although nobody could tell you any different.  Manx didn't share his food with anyone, so he was the taste-tester of everything he made.  This was different, though.  Odessa...this girl he had found on his path...she was more than a little strange.  He began to have the sinking feeling that whoever in the Great Sky was playing a cruel joke on him by sending him a woman who was all kinds of crazy.  He didn't know her, and he wondered if he had made a mistake by sharing his home and supper with her.  She talked as though she was completely out of her gourd, and while Manx found this amusing...he found it incredibly creepy as well.

visualspice

Odessa gasped at his last statement. Did he honestly think she was crazy? Perhaps it sounded as such, but it was the truth, though in her mutters she hadn't divulged it all. Perhaps it was best to leave it at that? But as she remained there, huddled beneath the blanket, her eyes followed him towards the kitchen.

Not one used to be waited on hand and foot, she got up after a time and wondered in, leaning against a nearby wall.
"Could I be of any small measure of help?  I would feel even more awkward to remain only watching when I could at least assist."

Sunflower Dawn

Manx jumped a mile when he heard Odessa speak behind him.  "Gahh!!"  he yelped and whirled around, reddening a little when he realized she had snuck up behind him unprepared.  "Don't do that!"

Seeing her expression at his brash reaction, he softened his approach a little.  "I'm usually the only one here for meals, and I have a certain way of doing things.  But thanks...."  he gestured at the stool by the wall.  "Have a seat, if you like.  Since we're together for the remainder of the night, I guess it wouldn't do to ignore each other.  I'd like to hear your story, to find out more about you.  Where do you come from?  Where is your family?"  Manx asked her as he chopped vegetables and threw them in the pot beside him.  "And what in Gods name are you running from, little one?  Surely you can't have made the Great Sky spirits angry.  I mean, if you had...well, you'd be dead by now."

visualspice

Odessa felt uneasy, and after taking a seat in the stool, she knew not what to say. He asked a lot of her, but she supposed he deserved all of the answers. Full answers.
She drew in a long breath, held it a moment in hopes to calm herself before releasing a long sigh.
"I'm from Connloath," she began.  "And I lived a relatively normal life until-" here she hesitated, her voice hitching in the back o fher throat as she lowered her gaze, ashamed, at the floor. "I.." she tried to start again, but her voice was barely coming out, so she tried to take a deep breath again and pressed on. "I never knew I was a mage." She blushed, face going red, tears stirring within her eyes, but she continued. "And the power I posess is the most hideous of powers imaginable. And I never know when it comes to fruition. It just.. happens, with barely any warning- Things. everything around me... it... it goes up in a massive explosion of flames. Then I black out. And everyone is dead."
She shuffled her feet nervously on the ground.
"Even now, I sweat over the prospect of it happening. I.. it... I tried to seek help from the church but.." She cringed, clutching her hands against her skirts until her knuckles turned white as she recalled the memory.. the experiments..
She had hoped they had worked..
but then, when they felt she was safe..

It happened.
Tears began to slip down her cheeks at the memories.
"The church didn't cure me." she went on, trying to brush those pesky tears away. "And.." She kept her mouth open, uncertain what to say, so she closed her lips, swallowed away the knot and turned to him. "I'm just afraid to kill anyone else.I never asked for this power. Ijust want a cure, but it happened again. Oh.. on some poor, small town at the boarder of Connlaoth and Serendipity." She was reduced back to sobbing again, and was soon apologizing through tears. "I'm.. I'm sorry, I'll understand if you want to turn me out. I don't.. I don't want to kill you. Or anyone else I just.. I don't know what to do!"

Sunflower Dawn

Manx could do no more than simply stare.  It was usual for girls and young women to fall all over themselves trying to explain what things had happened to them...especially to men like Manx.  He was a man of stature, although not very much.  He ruled his life according to how he wanted it lived and not a mite off course.  He knew women liked that about him, the fact that he was so strong in mind and spirit.

But this conversation was going down a path that Manx just didn't know how to deal with.  For pete's sakes...the girl actually seemed sincere about what she had just said.  He knew she believed every word of the beans she had just spilled, and that was a little more than frightening.

Leveling whole towns?  Blowing up everybody?  Surely not...  But there was a fierceness in her voice, a strange expression on her face that seemed to hold him there.  And he found that he believed her.

He found his voice and began to speak, hoarsely.  "You need to get to the Grand Master.  As soon as tomorrow morning."  He'd decided that, first thing, whether he was promised to a job or not...he had to help this young woman. 

He sighed.  Life got better and better for me, didn't it?  he thought with amusement.  "Okay, here's what we'll do.  You'll be safe here, with no one to harm you.  You'll be warm and comfortable.  You'll eat dinner and breakfast with me, and you'll have a hot bath.  You'll sleep in the common room with the fire next to you."  Manx paused, running his hand absently through his thick, red, messy hair.  "And tomorrow....well, tomorrow you'll stick by me.  I wouldn't share your tale with anyone else, you'll have them running for the mountains in no time.  I, for one, am not scared of you, no matter what you can do.  If I go up in a ball of flame, it wouldn't be the worst way to go...at least, not in my way of thinking." 

The poor girl looked as downcast as a dog that has been beaten half to death and for the life of him, Manx couldn't bear to see that expression on her face one more minute.  He wondered what she looked like when she smiled.  He went over and gently wrapped his strong arms around her shoulders and held her for a couple of minutes. 

"You're going to be fine, little one.  I promise.  While you're with me, you'll be safe.  I'll get you to Master Finn and he'll make everything right again."  he said into her hair.  He knew that he was good at helping young women when they were stressed...but this was a huge deal. 

He knew that he had to keep his word to her and keep her safe.  Even if it killed him.

visualspice

Odessa listened to his words carefully, whimpering but never once interrupting as he pressed on. She wasn't sure what could be done, but perhaps seeking out another person for help might do well. She shivered and could only hope. But then the man was suddenly embracing her, something she had not expected as she tensed, tears still piercing her eyes. Then after a time, she found herself clinging back, sobbing lightly as her body shook.

"Oh, I  just hope this man can help. The church it..." she shivered, the experiments, the trials.. all of it.. it settled unsteadily on her conscious. They were wicked, wicked things they tried and the only thing that made her feel somewhat at ease was that there were always mordecai that seemed to be around- but even still..
Somehow...

Somehow it still go through...
and sometimes at night, she almost felt as though the gnawing, burning, explosive surprise of power were true in her dreams, and she'd wake up, screaming, sweaty and afraid. It always took many of the women int he church a good hour to calm her after those dreams...
and then she would sink back into a restless slumber.

"Th-thankyou," She said after a time, realizing she hadn't spoken much since his profession and she frowned. "But I could not ask you inconvenience you. I.. and we.. we've only but met." She wiped at her tears, eyes trying to stay to his as she went on, "But this Master- What can he do to help me?" she was intrigued. She wanted help, and this man was offering it. Perhaps... perhaps there might be some hope yet? Perhaps it had been destiny to pull her away, far far away from Connloath to a knew land iwth new possibilities. Oh how she hoped!