Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Fake It (Paradox) - [M]

Started by Ivory, March 19, 2013, 08:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

OOC Note: This thread contains mature and potentially-disturbing themes.

Mai lifted her arms high above her bed, sighing in pleasure as each joint along her spine crackled.  It had been a good workout -- long and challenging, but she could ask for no better.  Her sparring partner watched her, his gaze appreciative as she regarded her figure and the way her body moved as she completed her post-match stretches.

Mai pretended not to notice.  She had been training with CCLXX for years, and the pair had developed an easy banter between them.  Unlike many put on security detail, he was a good man who respected boundaries -- hers and the establishment's.  Frankly, she knew a number of girls who had allowed -- or been forced to allow -- a man to have his way, and it rarely ended happily.  What kind of sick woman would choose to deliver her child to a place like this?

"I'll see you in two days," the girl said, cutting her partner off before he could ask her to join him in the cafeteria.  She always declined; he always asked again.  Some would have jumped at the chance, but Mai was not interested in romance or friendship -- especially not with a True Believer, someone who believed the lies and followed orders because he believed it was for the best.

But such thoughts were kept to herself.

Pushing out of the training room, she smiled grimly as she caught sight of the greatest (and blindest) True Believer of them all: Runako.

Paradox

Runako wasn't alone either. He was flanked by two other members of the "Security Team" as the Doctor liked to call them because it made them sound less threatening , but in truth the security team, often dubbed as "The Seraph" , were soldiers more than a simple security force.  The two that followed him were LXXXVI and XCII.

Though Runako wore no uniform, the other two wore customized plate armor that was predominantly silver with the symbol of the phoenix emblazoned on their breastplates.  The armor looked bulky with preposterously over-sized pauldrons (ooc: lol MS Word doesn't even recognize this as a word) and heavy , but its appearance was deceptive. The armor itself had been crafted from mithril , a lightweight metal that shone like fine silver and was nearly light as a feather when being compared to other variations of plate armor. To add further protection, the armor had been enchanted by powerful magic that guarded its wearers from arcane damage.

LXXXVI, Astrid,  was a tall human female in her late thirties, early forties with steely blue eyes and long red hair that fell down in a single braid to her waist . Compared to her present company, there was hardly anything remarkable about her in appearance. She, however, had the ability to form fields of energy around herself and others which were highly effective against most forms of attack. Psychic, physical, and even magic.  The downside to having such an ability was that whenever she used such a technique, she could do nothing else. It took every ounce of her concentration to keep her shielding up.  Such power came with a heavy price for her , however , and she was plagued by perpetual headaches and an irritable mood which she took out on her fellow Seraph.

XCII, or Eckhart, appeared to look like quite normal as well. A handsome man, tall and slender with long blond hair and bright blue eyes. Fair and delicate, one might have expected this man to have a kind and delicate personality to him, but Eck was a mage who, like his fellows, followed the Doctor's orders , but unlike Runako, seemed to relish the power he had over other patients. He always thrilled at the chance to kill a wayward patient. A rare occurrence, but it had happened and any time it did, it was usually Eckhart whom eagerly the death sentence. And every time it happened, he and Runako argued. Astrid would break them up.

Today was not so different. Eckhart and Runako were fighting again. The two men stood in the hall facing one another, dangerously close as though they might have been ready to tear one another's throats out. With Astrid nearby, however, it wasn't likely to happen,  " I told you to stand down," Runako growled in his usual soft, deep voice. Despite its lack of hostility, most that didn't know the creature might have felt threatened by the sound.
"She was going to kill you, fool. I did what was necessary ," Eckhart sneered, " And if you weren't so far up the Doctor's ass, I wouldn't have bothered to save your sorry tail either." 
"Knock it off, you two." Astrid snapped, her migraines amplifying how annoyed she was with their usual bickering.

" With the three of us there, such a possibility is highly improbable. She was just confused. Nothing that proper treatment couldn't have-" Runako began.

Eckhart raised a hand and made blabbing gestures with it, "Yeah, blah blah, blah... it was her or us and , personally, I'd say the ungrateful little slut got what was com-"

Runako surged forward, his enormous furry hand grabbing hold of the human's throat. He pinned him to the wall of the corridor. Violet eyes narrowed, he watched Eckhart struggle under his crushing grasp. There was no look of cruel satisfaction on the creature's daunting visage, only a solemn anger. The Doctor had taught him well. How to fight the impulses of his beastly nature. Years ago, he would have succumbed to his rage and crushed Eckhart's windpipe but now he released him at Astrid's insistence, " I'm the chief of security here, Eckhart, not you.  Disregard my orders again and there will be consequences. We're protectors, not executioners. "

Eckhart gave the chief a dirty glare before he picked himself up and walked off, "Keep telling yourself that, fool."

Astrid noticed Mai now , but merely nodded to acknowledge the other woman before turning to Runako, " Are you going to write the report for the Doctor or am I?"

Ruanko shook his head, " Take the rest of the day off. You've earned it. I'll handle the rest."
Nodding , Astrid moved to leave. Runako watched her go and then turned to the left to pass the training center and nearly bumped into a small human female- "Mai," he knew the names of every single patient, "excuse me." He sidestepped to pass her.

Ooc: I'm assuming that Mai walked in at the end of their argument , but I'm cool with her having been witness to the entire thing or missing it entirely. Doesn't matter!

Ivory

Mai had heard enough of the argument to understand that another prisoner had been killed.  Whether it was at Runako's hands or not made little difference to her; although sometimes a regrettable outcome to an escapee's attempt to flee, it was something Mai didn't care for.

Besides, the Doctor didn't like to lose his toys to the carelessness of the guards.

"Another death?" she asked, her tone a bit saucy.  "That makes two this year already."  As if Runako weren't well aware...  She glanced after the mage, eyes dark.  "You should reign him in before he turns against us."  She meant the security team as a whole, of course -- and especially her.  "Who did he kill this time?"

And, more importantly, she wondered, what had been her crime?

Paradox

Wincing at the reminder, Runako's expression tightened for a moment. His inhuman features sometimes made him difficult to read if one didn't know how to study felinoid body language. His ears drew back , flattening against his skull for a moment and his black lips curled slightly. He shook his head, " It's regrettable, but we were...left with no other alternative, " she may or may not have caught the hint of doubt in his tone that hadn't always been present before but was gradually exposing itself in his later years. Times were changing and even creatures as stubborn and blind as Runako was - he was changing too.

His ears perked up at her opinion and he hesitated to reply, frowning. "That won't become an issue and I've already considered disciplinary measures as protocol dictates," he assured. Nothing he did to reprimand the unruly mage seemed to deter him from senseless violence though. Runako visibly stiffened at the thought of reporting the news to the Doctor. He wouldn't be pleased to hear that another patient was dead and Runako had , again, failed to prevent this. The guilt at such failure tore away at him and nearly disturbed him as much as the woman's death had.

"Hana, " he said softly, "it was Hana. " He shook his head as though he found it hard to believe. Hana had been a young girl , hardly past her fifteenth year. A frail and quiet thing, she had been a loner who lost herself in puzzles and reading. "She was acting strangely a week before now. The other patients claimed that she would have nightmares that she would wake from , screaming. Reports from other security personnel indicated that before this, she was refusing to take her usual medication. The medical staff believes this might have been what triggered the nightmares but I digress. The reports also indicate that in the waking hours, her mood shifted from her usual quit, gentle self to a more paranoid and aggressive personality. She wouldn't eat or drink, claiming that she wouldn't consume the blood of ... children, "Runako paused and shook his head. It was an unsettling thing when a patient went insane, " She started becoming more vocal and aggressive. I hear that a few nights before , she caused a disturbance in the cafeteria. She accused a female patient of being a rapist and a murder and attacked her. Choked a girl nearly to death with her psychic ability. The security team managed to subdue her and she was supposed to have been medicated..."

Again, he frowned. The Doctor had assured him that the problem had been resolved, but why then had the girl become even MORE unstable if she had been medicated properly? Something was wrong, but the Doctor wouldn't lie. Perhaps one of the staff had neglected to give the child the proper dosage or ...

Maybe the medication wasn't working? But shouldn't they have been aware of this? Those who monitored this child closely all the time?

No, no. It had to be an honest mistake. It had to be .But there was something in the back of his mind that kept telling him that he was being stupid. He pushed that little voice of doubt in his mind out and sighed, "  Perhaps there was a mistake. Whatever the case, it ended poorly. Hana's condition worsened. She tried to go after the same girl again and we had little choice but to engage her with force. I tried talking her down. I thought I had her. She seemed to back down , but Eckhart opened his mouth and put her on edge . She tried to choke me..." But would she have killed him ? There had been tears in her eyes and a desperation in them that he felt for , but didn't quite understand.

"I know he was protecting me, but I wonder...what went through her mind when she was doing these things? Was she crazy like the others suggest or was there something more to it? It seems like a case of insanity , but I haven't seen anything like it in years. And from Hana too. It's ..."  He shook his head, " Nevermind. " Dare he voice any doubt so others might use it against him. He didn't wish for the Doctor to get the wrong idea about him! He respected the man greatly but sometimes he wondered...if the Doctor might sometimes be wrong.

Ivory

"Hana?"  These days, Mai was not easily shaken -- but the news of Hana's death produced a visible reaction.  She looked shocked, her expression only darkening as Runako went on with his explanation.

Hana.  Hana had been a sweet girl -- hardly a danger to anyone!  Given her nature, others sometimes tried to take advantage of her -- particularly when she had first arrived.  Mai had interceded a few times on her behalf, but, more recently, she had hardly remembered the girl existed...  A snarl of guilt crept into her mind at the thought -- if she had been more observant, had been there for her...

Although it didn't leave entirely, the guilt faded beneath the sudden wave of anger.  If she had had more interest in Hana, it wouldn't have mattered.  It still would have ended this way...  Hana wasn't the first to suffer from a mysterious mental illness, and she wouldn't be the last, because that was what this place did to people...  It was what the Doctor did to people.  And it was the reason Mai never allowed herself to grow close to anyone, because it hurt too much to watch.

But Mai had had a soft spot for gentle Hana, and, in spite of her efforts to remain unattached, she found herself suddenly struggling not to lash out to avenge her.  What good would vengeance do, anyway, except to serve to endanger those still alive?

Even so, she could not still her tongue entirely.  A curse rolled off before she could stop it.  "A mistake," she echoed with a soft, skeptical snort.  She rather doubted it...but, then, she tended to believe the worst.  Poor Hana...  "What kind of a mistake turns someone like Hana into...that?"

Paradox

He studied Mai with a critical eye. She had the gall to speak what he would not, for once. She wasn't an easy woman to read,masking emotions behind a wall of ice and apathy. Her words were typically scathing. He knew she didn't like him, didn't really like the majority of the security force and sometimes he got the feeling that she wished that she didn't want to be here,didn't appreciate the opportunities that had been given to her by the generous doctor. He used to get angry, but more and more patients were displaying odd behaviors. Violent and insane behavior that suggested there was something about this place that wasn't right. And this unsettled Runako, whom was used to things always being a certain way.

"I don't know," Runako admitted, "no one seems to know either,or if they do they're not coming forward."He frowned,not liking to think that there was any foul play involved, but within the last decade or so ...things had become so apparently questionable now that even HE couldn't ignore or rule certain unpleasant possibilities out. But whatever he suspected was so far from the truth than he could imagine,but he at least was questioning it. Many in his position didn't care enough to, "I wanted to investigate the matter though so far I haven't been able to turn much up. Some of the patients are not...comfortable around me. " He scratched his chin and appearing puzzled. "I spoke with those closet to her and I couldn't gain much insight, but the girl –Tia- she seemed to look as though she had more to say ,but I don't think she trusts me." He moved over to his desk and retrieved a manila folder stuffed with papers and held it up in offer to her, " Maybe she'd trust you with that information."

Ooc: Feel free to turn him down lulz.

Ivory

Mai eyed first the folder, then Runako like he was handing her a poisonous snake.  "I know Tia," she allowed at last, her fingers closing around the proffered item.  Her head cocked slightly, a somewhat animalistic gesture she had picked up over the years.  "Although, I cannot say if she will trust me anymore than she did you."

She wasn't sure why she was agreeing to this, either...  What good would her involvement do?  It would probably only piss her off even more...  You couldn't pretend these things weren't happening if they stood right before you, could you?  Even so, Hana deserved some justice...even if that justice would be ignored.

Lifting her eyes back to the chief of security, she added, returning to their previous topic briskly, "You really should rein him in."

Paradox

"Maybe you're right, " Runako's expression appeared almost human for a moment, his eyes larger than usual as if to indicate surprise. In truth, he had anticipated for her to turn him down, tell him that he was foolish and this was a waste of time. Everyone else had and he and Mai-well, they generally did not agree on a whole lot of things. "You may learn nothing. She'll assume I put you up to this and think that you can't be trusted. But, there's a small chance that she might. It wouldn't hurt to try. If Tia wants to get to the bottom of this, we're the only ones who could help."

He really was naïve and yet...

"Be discreet. If Tia doesn't wish to speak, don't press the matter if you sense it'll cause any unnecessary attentions. If someone takes an issue with your investigation, refer them to me. I'll handle them. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone. "

He shook his head at her comment about Eckhart. It wasn't as easy as that, but now was not the time to talk about that. Eckhart had more favor among the security team and might have held more favor with the Doctor now. He was , afterall, considered to be a success story. The Doctor praised him, often forgetting that one of his first patients even existed...

Jealousy seeped into Runako's heart. Oh how he wished he COULD do something about Eckhart. Because Eckhart wasn't worthy.

He shook his head, " I'll have a talk with him. You're dismissed."

Ivory

Mai sniffed softly and offered him her usual lax salute, a sure sign of Mai's displeasure and usual sarcastic nature.  "Aye aye," she answered as she did so.  The folder was tucked neatly in the crook of her arm, almost with a military precision, as she turned away from him.

"By the way," she called over her shoulder, not even bothering to stop walking as she made her way towards the showers to wash away the training session.  "There's rumor of another escape attempt from the third floor."  She gave an indignant snort that slipped into a laugh.  Floor three's attempts were usually somewhat laughable on good days -- and pitiable on their worst.  There was little real threat from the attempts, if only due to their over-thought, yet somehow utterly disorganized nature.

Turning around fully, suddenly, so that she was walking backwards, she added cheerfully, "Keep a spot open for me!"

Paradox

Runako sighed , "The third floor again?" He shook his massive head. He wasn't surprised. The little ringleader of that silly operation was crazy and determined to 'be free' as he called it. One time he'd managed to actually dig a tunnel far under the building. Unfortunately, the end of that tunnel had come up right into Runako's office and the security chief had to wonder if that had been a mere oversight or comically deliberate. Though by the look on the poor bastard's face, Runako knew it had not been intentional.
Fortunately for the patients, Runako had a wealth of patience with people and he'd simply grabbed the silly runaway and dragged him back to his room. The entire scenario had most people laughing or shaking their heads. It really was ridiculous. When would the third floor give up? Maybe they just did this because they were bored? Who knew!?

He nodded at Mai, " Will do." He didn't really need any help dealing with the third floor ,but he knew that for some of his officers looked forward to it. It was something of a game to them. To him, it was something of a source of annoyance and bewilderment.

Once Mai had left, Runako gathered his report and left his office to visit the Doctor.

The Doctor 's office was on the uppermost floor of the building. Runako was one of the few who didn't need to knock before entering. The door's magical lock had been designed in a way to recognize him when he pressed an open palm against the door. He did so now and the door slid open. "Doctor?" He called out before steppin inside. The room was dimly lit . No answer. The office was empty as usual. Shrugging, Runako walked over to the man's desk and set his report down on the desk. As he turned away, however, his tail knocked something off and it fell to the floor with a heavy thud. Runako turned around see what it was and saw a familiar leather-bound book that served as the Doctor's notebook on the floor.

He picked it up and set it back down on the man's desk. In all his years, Runako had always been curious to know what his adoptive father wrote down in the thing. He'd tried to read it once when he had been very young, but the Doctor had become very upset with him and had made him feel so terribly guilty...
Never had he dared to even think of trying to read its contents again, but the curiosity was still there.

He'd heard things whispered before. Dark rumors about the Doctor and about himself. They filled Runako with so much doubt of late and he felt himself once more being tempted to read the Doctor's notebook. Maybe it had answers to his fear and doubts? But he found himself feeling too afraid to look.

He left the room .

ooc: A shitty post, but at least the thread is moving again. xD

Ivory

It had taken Mai some time, but she had patiently waited for her opportunity to speak to Tia alone.  She knew it would do no good to pry her away from her small circle of friends -- the girl was, by nature, shy and submissive.  Badgering her -- especially in public -- would do no good.

In the end, it took her more than a week to return the report to the Chief of Security.  A few words here, an offer of an ice cream cone, and a shoulder to cry upon, and young Tia had a few, halting words to say about her friend's demise.

She wasn't surprised to find Runako away from his office -- and she was a bit grateful for that.  Her notes were in the folder, but she had a feeling he wouldn't want to hear what she had to say, not really.  He was likely to consider the poor girl mad...which the girl, of course, was not.  The girl knew what she had seen, and she had some definite opinions on that.  Mai happened to agree -- but Runako was blind to the faults of his mentor.

The idiot.

She put her file down on the Chief's desk, content enough to leave it there without another word, if possible.  She had done her job -- and that was all he could ask of her.

Paradox

Weeks passed and everything was relatively normal. A handful of pathetic escape attempts occurred , but he had not been personally present for them .In fact, few had seen the Chief as often since Hana's death. However, Eckhart wasn't strutting about quite as much as usual and his mood had soured. Perhaps someone HAD had a talk with him.

Runako had felt there was something wrong inside him for some time now. It felt like an illness that came and went, causing him brief flashes of agony. He had told the Doctor what it was, but the man had examined him and told him simply that it was old age and what he felt was natural.

Of course he believed that, but that did nothing to ease the pain. Unfortunately, there was nothing the Doctor could do for him.

During such times, he would "take leave" . Everyone thought it was a "vacation" . No one knew where he'd go and anyone who asked was promptly warned to stop asking questions unless they desired broken bones. Runako would vanish for a week or two and that was that.

He actually never went far at all. His room was next to his office and so as Mai was leaving, he was coming out looking...disheveled and more tired than usual. "Good day,Hazuko," he nodded as he passed her on his way to his office.

He entered and moved to his desk and grabbed the folder she'd left on his desk. He shuffled through the paperwork and picked out the paper with Mai's notes. The words written there of Tia's account were not easy for him to digest. He sat down as if the words weighed on him so heavily.

"Slander!" he growled and threw the folder across the room with a snarl. "Ungrateful..."

He didn't have outbursts often. He sighed and leaned forward in his chair, resting his chin in his hands and turning his mind over all of the facts gathered. For him, everything pointed to crazy. He'd been hoping Tia would have known what had triggered the madness but Tia  , of course, didn't know so she just blamed the Doctor. And she wasn't the first. Runako shook his head, not understanding that mentality. 

There was a knock at the door. Four solid, quick knocks.

"Come in, Astrid."

The door opened and closed promptly.

Astrid looked around and spied the discarded papers on the ground. "Don't like Hauko's report, I take it?" She smirked.

Runako shook his head, " She followed her orders. Unfortunately, Tia had nothing useful to say."

"And you're surprised? "

Runako looked at her, " I was hoping for..."

"That she wasn't crazy?" Astrid frowned and crossed her arms. "You think all of that nonsense she said about consuming the blood of children is true?  She was insinuating that the medical staff is feeding people the dead."

"No, of course not! All I'm saying is that none of this makes sense! "

Astrid sighed irritably, "Why do you suddenly care? It's not like this hasn't happened before."

Runako stared at her, looking as though he'd been slapped. He said nothing in his defense because she was right.

Sighing, Astrid picked up the folder . "I'll do a little digging around in the med labs and see what I can find. Just don't expect anything. " She left.

Runako waited a few moments then lowered his head in shame.

Ivory

Astrid was scarcely gone five minutes before the door to Runako's door opened.  Mai stood in the doorway, her cheeks flushed and her weapons at her side.  She didn't want to have to report this to Runako, because she assumed she knew what was going to happen next.  She would probably be blamed somehow (not her fault!) and then she would have to accompany Runako on a wild goose chase looking for a very scared girl.

A very scared girl who had somehow managed to overcome three guards in her escape attempt...  And someone Mai felt particularly emotional about as well.  Of course, it would have to be her!

"Tia's escaped."  Noting Runako's aggravated state, quite suddenly, she chose to hover in the doorway rather than step more fully into the room; the doorframe could provide her with a little cover, at least!  "It looks like she lured Ilys into her room and killed him for his keys.  Gil and Lilith tried to intercept her on her way out, and..."  She had liked none of three, and she had particularly hated Ilys; she had had enough encounters with the man that she could easily imagine just how he had come to be in Tia's room.  That being said, their deaths were bizarre...particularly at the hands of someone like Tia.

Just when she thought this place could no longer surprise her...

Paradox

The chief of security looked up. Expressions on a feline visage weren't always easy to read, but his ear flattened back a bit, "Escaped? How?" Runako's voice sounded more sharply than he intended, but the news was something that did not sit well with him.  He waited for Mai to deliberate and then growled and pushed his chair away from his desk.

"Tia? Tia escaped? The girl I had you interview?" He rose from his seat and stalked across the room ,stopping only a couple paces from her. He looked down at her, his inhuman expression difficult to read but his eyes expressing his doubt, "She killed three trained guards? " He couldn't believe what he was hearing and yet Hazuko had absolutely no reason to lie to him. He would know the truth sooner or later and most wouldn't gamble away their security job without good reason.

He sighed,"Dammit, Hazuko! I told you not to press her too hard! "

Yep! He was totally blaming her, alright!

ooc: Ultimately, I have decided there should be a teeny weeny bit of drama. (although that's really up to you, I guess!)

Ivory

The tiny woman stayed beside the doorframe -- but, other than taking a slightly more defensive posture, she held her ground.  There was nothing Runako could do to her that hadn't already been done to her once...and she had survived it all.

"I bought her an ice cream," Mai answered testily, although she watched the Chief's movements warily.  "I hardly consider that pressing."  And the girl had cried on her shoulder...  She had tried to be a friend!  Maybe she was out of practice...

"Perhaps it was Ilys who did the pressing, and she only reacted.  But I suppose you know nothing about that either."  She couldn't seem to stop her tongue, the damned thing!  "Tia wouldn't be the first girl he tried to take advantage of."  Too few of the guards cared about such things to put a stop to it, sadly...

Paradox

"What do you mean?" Runako really was clueless, but then again there was a lot that went on behind his back! "Take advantage? " He wasn't that naive. He knew what that meant at least. He'd encountered it only a few times in the beginning when there had been a number of males who thought their newfound privileges as guards gave them the right to do things that made him ill thinking about.

"No one told me about this. I have never received a single filed complaint against Ilys," But no one told him anything anymore because they feared his connection with the Doctor. "If you knew this, then why didn't you say anything to me ?"

ooc: Tea party!

Ivory

Mai's eyes were hard as she regarded him, her face difficult to read.  He was an idealistic idiot -- pretty much everyone knew that.  What was it that made him so willingly blind to things happening under his nose?

"There's a certain way things are done around here.  And there's a lot you don't know about, Runako."  It was the truth, so help them both.

Disdainfully, she said, "Ilys has friends.  Some join him.  Some look the other way.  It ends badly for people who try to stop them."  Her jaw set stubbornly; what was there to be ashamed of?  She had never been ashamed of doing what had to be done.  Even that.  "Unless you give him another option."

Still, she couldn't be there every time...

Paradox

"I put a stop to that kind of thing years ago. I have a team that I trust now. Are you telling me that my trust is misplaced?" Eckhart and Astrid? Did they know about these kinds of things? Did they turn their backs on it? They had been his eyes and ears for years. Handpicked by the Doctor himself.

Or was Hazuko simply trying to stir up trouble?

" I still have questions for you, but they will have to wait for now because we've wasted enough time already. We need to find Tia and stop her. If what you say is true , then she could be in trouble or someone else might be.  "

He gestured to the door, "After you."

~

It came as quite a surprise to Astrid when Runako and Mai showed up at the med labs. Astrid was rummaging though some files and being harassed by the medical staff who weren't too thrilled about the woman being there on unscheduled time. Sensing something was wrong , she crossed the room quickly to meet with the pair, "What's the matter?"

"Tia's escaped. She killed three guards and I want the three of us on this one. No Eckhart."

Astrid eyed Mai suspiciously, "Tia? I find this hard to believe and why Hazuko? She's not a Seraph."

"Don't question my orders. She's coming with us," Runako snapped.

Astrid opened her mouth to say something and then shut it immediately and nodded. 

Ivory

Yes, Runako was an idiot.   And a nosy idiot at that.  It put a scowl on her face, but there was little she could do.

~

Mai was still scowling when they reached the med labs.  She very clearly didn't want to be here either, but, as Runako said...  It was an order.

"Ilys's body was in her room.  Gil and Lilith at the exit," Mai put in quietly, summarizing the situation as neatly as she could.  Besides, any woman, guard or no, should know what that meant -- or so she thought.  Ilys and his goons weren't exactly subtle about it...at least, not around the lesser guards.  "When I left to make my report, the rest of the prisoners had been accounted for."

Paradox

ooc: Mature for language and theme. I should have probably tagged an M to this thread's subject. S:

ic :

"Ilys?" Astrid raised an eyebrow, "I've heard something about that before. Whispers mostly that he was quite a troublemaker. I've had talks with him previously about lurking around the women's living quarters and verbally harassing a couple female patients. He was on his last warning with me."

Runako looked at the woman ,his eyes questioning her.

"As far as I know, it hadn't gone further than verbal harassment. Security cameras have never shown anything , but that doesn't mean..." Astrid looked at Runako and frowned, "That couldn't have been wiped."

"No one would do that." Runako growled.

Astrid shrugged, " I could not say, but Ilys was a pig and it doesn't surprise me that someone would snap and kill him. It just surprises me that Tia was the one who did it. Her snapping isn't entirely unbelievable, but she's not- well, wasn't strong enough . She must have caught him off-guard somehow . Perhaps she...seduced him and killed him? Or he tried to seduce her and he wasn't expecting her to resist. Or...she may also have a power that we don't know about."

"Her file doesn't indicate anything beyond level 1 telekinesis." Runako replied, frowning as the trio left the med lab.

Astrid shook her head, "Maybe someone is trying to hide something."

Runako glared at Astrid but the woman ignored him.

"Astrid, I need you to alert the perimeter guard. Hazuko and I will examine Tia's room and see if we can find any clues. Assemble a team and sweep the the building. Start with the floor below this one and work your way down to the base. I ...don't think she'll go up , but if she does she won't have many places to go except...." he'd seen people jump off the roof before.

"Affirmative." She left the pair, moving swiftly.

Runako and Mai made their way to the section of the floor where the rooms belonging to the female patients were. Seeing Runako, many of the women made themselves scarce and shut their doors.  Tia's room was at the far end of the hall. Runako pushed through the door which hung slightly ajar. Much to his surprise, there were already members of the guard there, standing around Ilys's corpse.

"Fucking slut! When I find her, I'm going to make her..."

"You're not going to do anything, Carver, if you know what's good for you. " Runako replied, his tone one of icy command. Like an enormous predatory cat, he stalked into the middle of the room and approached Ilys's corpse. The four men standing nearby scattered hastily. "This isn't your post. Get out. Now. " The one called Carver glared nastily at the Chief , but said nothing in retort and took his leave shortly after the others.

Runako knelt down by Ilys's body and noted how the belt had been undone and fly was open. Perhaps it was as Hazuko insinuated. "Lacerations to the throat and his face." He frowned and traced his claw along the deep cuts on the man's throat. "They don't look to be made from any weapon I'm familiar with. They almost look like claw marks,  " He searched the body but found nothing of any significance. " Did the others sustain similar injuries?" He looked over his shoulder at Hazuko.