Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Fake It (Paradox) - [M]

Started by Ivory, March 19, 2013, 08:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

A smart comment had, indeed, been about to leave her lips!  She accepted the cookie, however, with a wide grin.  "You know...  You're going to make me fat.  And then you'll be out a security guard."

Well, she had to get it in somewhere.

The smile faded, and, with remarkable solemnity, and even sounding a touch concerned, she asked, "What do you think the Doctor will say?"  After all, it wasn't the same as it was with Kypri, where he could pretend...

Paradox

"If two cookies make you overweight then I'm not sure how you manage, " Runako retorted.

He shook his head at her question about how Graves would respond to this, "I'll report the truth -sort of. I failed to take my medication." He shrugged. "I forgot. I must inquire if he knew that something like this would occur and why I wasn't told. I have a right to know, do I not? " The Doctor would be angry , but nothing bad would come from it he was sure.  Graves was stern , but he wasn't unreasonable.

((short posts this evening but I'm starting to get sleepy! I will add more tomorrow if you don't wanna reply to this. xD))

Ivory

Mai nodded slightly, looking, for the first time, remarkably uncomfortable.

"Be careful."

Because she didn't trust Graves or anyone else who worked here.  She didn't trust anyone.  And if he wasn't told, the reason behind it probably wasn't good.

"What about the rest of us?"  Her, specifically?

Paradox

Surprise registered so much more clearly on his human visage, " Don't talk like that, Hazuko. It's not like you," Though he supposed that she was thinking more about what would happen to her if the shit hit the fan. He didn't think she had anything to worry about. She'd done nothing wrong.

"Both of you were following my orders. That's your job so you've done nothing to warrant any disciplinary actions. " He shrugged, "But I'll keep my explanation minimal. As far as Graves knows, I sent you to keep an eye on Morley because of ...the inappropriate activities he and Doctor Adams had been engaging in on the clock. As for Kypri...that might be harder to explain why he's being detained. "

Ivory

Mai smiled brightly at the news that she would not be held liable for anything that had happened.

"That's what I wanted to hear," she told him tartly, giving him an obvious once over.  He didn't look nearly so scary anymore!  Picking up a rubber band, she fiddled with it back and forth a moment, before suddenly shooting it at his head.

"Just curious to see if you have the same reflexes..." she announced quite innocently.

Paradox

The rubber-band smacked him in the nose, "Hazuko!" He was about to give her a lecture about how his office supplies were not there for her to terrorize people for her amusement. As he opened his mouth to speak though, the door to his office opened and Astrid entered , shoving Kypri in front of her. He stumbled up to Runako's desk and grinned, " Where's the Chief? He dead? "

"Can it," Astrid smacked him upside the head and then addressed Runako, " well, do I need to leave so you can keep more secrets from me?"

Runako picked up the rubber-band and placed it safely in his drawer. "No." Then he turned to Kypri, " Kypri, I've tested your crytpic suggestion but I'm still not sure where you're going with this. You said my mind would be clear , but it's the exact opposite. "

"Chief? Is that really you?"

"Yes, of course. "

Kypri leaned forward, grinning like a madman, "Interesting. Very interesting."

Runako slammed his fist down on the desk but instead of denting it as he normally would , he bruised his hand. He winced. Wow. If this is what being human felt like , then it sure sucked! "Start making sense or I'll-"

What could he do? He felt so weak. He needed a weapon if he didn't change back soon. "Don't make Astrid hurt you."

Kypri recoiled and shot a nervous glance back over his shoulder at the psychic.

Astrid folded her arms over her chest and scowled, "Give me a reason to kill you, please." She really meant it!

Kypri laughed nervously, " Alright , alright. Look, I didn't know if it was true or not and I didn't want to say anything unless I knew you were truly interested in knowing what I had to say, okay? This was just a test. Anyway, Walt's brain is kind of ...fucked up . He's seen a lotta shit that made him go nuts so it's hard to tell what's real and what's not. I just heard that you're part of a pretty damn important project, Chief, and everything that you think you know about yourself is a lie. You're one of the first. Number nine, right? You've been here longer than anyone and yet you seem to be the most delusional.  It's because you're the only one that can handle the verandum ius or whatever the hell. "

"But what is it, really?" Runako pressed.

"Uh...well, I don't know for sure , but Walt seems to think it's got the essence of dead people or something in it. Their life energy. Yeah, Graves sucks them dry , makes an elixir out of it and then makes you needle it up. And every time you absorb a life, you absorb the memories that accompany it. The nightmares that you have aren't nightmares. They're real.  You're living on the blood of childeren, chief? How does that grab ya? " He grinned.

Runako suddenly shot forward in his seat and seized Kyrpi by the collar ,pulling him in close so that their noses nearly touched, "Say that again."

"I said that Graves sucks them dry-"

"No, the last part. "

"Oh, heh. You're livin' on the blood of children, chief."

"That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard," Astrid scoffed, "you're high, Kypri . Chief, I'm sorry but you've wasted enough time on this nonsense . Say the word and I'll take him to- "

Runako cut her off, "Before Hana died, she said the same thing to me. "Runako let go of Kypri and sat back in his chair. "Maybe she wasn't crazy."

"You can't be serious."

"There's too many holes. I don't know anything about myself. " The Chief twirled around in his chair, something that was possible now that he wasn't a big fatty cat thing. " None of this makes sense. There's something missing- no , there's a lot missing and I don't like that. I want some answers and I'll get them ...somehow." He stopped spinning and faced everyone again, "  Kypri, do you know what Walt's patient number is ?"

((I realize that you have like...little to reply to here but uh...you can make things up! Sorry if there's mistakes! I'm sure you'll survive them somehow! )) 

Ivory

Hazuko's cat-in-the-cream smile vanished upon seeing Kypri being marched into the office.  She actually stood up a little straighter and, casually, rested a hand on one of her tessen.  It was a casual-enough gesture...but after the stunt Kypri had pulled, she didn't trust him.

The part about nightmares did not go unheard.  Her own nightmares were terrible, truly something to make her fear closing her eyes at night after a particularly realistic one...

"Is it just the Chief?" she demanded, eyes boring holes into the snitch.  "Or do we all have surprises waiting for us?  I'm not going to turn into a big fatty cat thing, am I?"

(OOC: *steals the line!*)

Paradox

"Aw. Isn't that cute? What's the matter, Hazuko? Are you scared?" Kypri snickered, " Well, you should be. Because the Chief is leading all of you straight to hell. Too late to turn and run off with your tail between your legs as you always do. "

((Clearly, he has a death wish!))

Ivory

There was nothing friendly in Mai's expression...and Kypri either wanted to die, or he had missed the warning altogether.  Or he liked to wind Mai up for reasons none of them could ever understand.

At once, the petite woman shifted forward.  In Runako's small office, there wasn't a lot of space between any of them and the wall.  Even so, it was something to see to see Mai uncoil and unleash her wrath upon the man.  At one moment, she was simply standing there; at the next, she had pressed him up against the wall and was glaring into his face.  She was much shorter than he was, but that proved to be of little consequence as her hand closed around his throat and she pushed him against the wall, somehow managing to give the illusion of meeting or even exceeding his height using her body language alone.

"We've already had this conversation," she growled.  As much as she would have liked to squeeze the life out of the man, her hand only squeezed hard enough to be threatening.  "Last time, I made you a promise."  Her other hand moved the tip of her tessen slowly up the inside of his thigh.  "If you don't answer my questions truthfully..."  It lingered between his legs a moment, then up his midsection.  With a flick of her wrist, the weapon opened with an intimidating snap.

This was probably the reason Kypri's first words to the Chief had been to call her a crazy bitch...

Paradox

"Chief! " Kypri gasped , "Get this bitch off me!"

Runako had considered it, but he shook his head, "You provoked her, so you better think carefully about what you say to her."

"Astrid? We're friends, right? Come on,"

The psychic pretended to look bored and oblivious to his existence though on the inside she hoped he'd suffer.

"Alright, alright!" He looked Mai in the eyes directly, " Everyone in this building will die if the Chief doesn't find out the truth, but in finding the truth a lot of people are still going to die including two people in this room. " He glanced at Astrid, appearing to look a bit remorseful and then shook his head. "And I can't tell you more than that. The rest is up to you to find out. If you want to kill me, Hazuko ,go ahead and do it because I'm one of the ones that's going to die anyway." He smirked at her.

"How do you know that?" Runako inquired, frowning.

"Just a feeling."

Ivory

"Are your feelings usually so specific?" Mai asked, but she dropped him and stepped back.  Her weapon folded back in on itself, and she tucked it away neatly as she returned to her previous position across the room  There was no need to keep on pushing...and, besides, it might ruin her image if she couldn't kill him after all but promising to.

But she had to wonder if this had something to do with the elusive Walt...

"What now, Chief?"

She didn't like all of this talk of death and hell and...all that.  Surviving.  That was her thing.  But the way he spoke...  It made her want to beat the snot out of him, because he made it sound so...unavoidable.

Paradox

"Usually, yeah." Kypri coughed and adjusted his shirt collar.

"Well, " Runako said slowly and  found himself messing with the white ribbon around Mr. Boot's neck because it was crooked, " the only thing left for me to do is see this Walt, if he exists. "

Astrid gasped, "You mean to go to the red floor? We're not allow-"

"You're not , but I have access or at least a way of gaining access. "

"You cannot be seriously considering breaking in or stealing a key..."

The Chief shook his head, "No, not steal. Borrow without permission. I'll return it when I'm done, " he promised. "I'll just pop in for a brief chat at night and then slip out. Not a big deal."

Astrid looked about ready to murder him,  but she sighed with exasperation ." I don't know you anymore. Fine. You go catch some disease on the red floor but don't come running to me when you do because I think this is a terrible idea that's going to lead you to nothing but trouble.  "

Ivory

Mai laughed out loud.  It may not have been the most appropriate reaction, but Runako breaking the rules tickled her funny bone.

"I think I like this side of you, Chief."  Poor Astrid.  She still had that stick pushed so far up her rear side...  "Maybe you should stop taking your medication, Astrid...  Just to see what happens."

Paradox

"Or maybe you should stop wagging your insolent tongue before I have a psychotic episode and kill you, The psychic spat. She'd really had enough of Mai, but she hadn't slept at all either so perhaps this was why her temper was snapping more easily than usual . That and...something Kypri had said had shaken her.

"Astrid, stand down." Runako ordered his fellow Seraph in a commanding tone that didn't have nearly as much weight as it had when he was larger. "Take Kypri out of here. To his room. "

Astrid backed off and grabbed Kyrpi by the arm and dragged him off.

Now Runako turned to Mai after hearing the door slam behind the angry Seraph, "Fatty cat thing?" He frowned at her with disapproval. He was not fat! Shaking his head, he moved on to a more important matter, "Well, it's a good thing you like me so much now because you're coming with me."

Ivory

Mai's grin wavered at the threat -- Astrid was no one to well and truly piss off...but she had, apparently, started out this little quest that way, and pissed off was how she was going to stay!  She'd never admit it -- not a million years! -- but she was grateful for Runako's intervention...because if someone was going to snap, it would probably be Astrid.

Well, okay.  Maybe it could be Runako too, but he'd probably kill everyone with a smile on his face.  Somehow, that was less terrifying.

"Yeah, fatty cat thing." She shrugged slightly.  "I dunno.  The words just...jumped into my brain.  I have no idea where they came from."

After Astrid and Kypri left, Mai got the worst news of her life.  She stared at Runako, wide-eyed.  "You want me to what?  No, way.  I like that you're all stirred up, but I'm not going down there.  There are hundreds of rumors about what happens to people who go down there.  It doesn't matter if I'm murdered by the staff or die of disease.  I'm attached to being alive, Chief!"

Paradox

"Relax. That was joke, Hazuko, "however this line was delivered with a poker-face and a flat tone that it probably didn't seem all that convincing. One had to take into account though that unlike Mai, Runako wasn't all that skilled with humor of any sort! "I'm going alone." The Chief nodded towards the door, "Thank you for your assistance in this investigation. You're free to go now." 

Ivory

Mai looked so incredibly relieved.

So very, very relieved.

"Thank the Gods!" she exclaimed.  This was probably the happiest he had ever seen her -- no, make that definitely.

Twirling towards the door, she paused there.  "Um, good luck, I guess?"

Paradox

Runako nodded slightly, his expression and inflection restored to its usual impassiveness, " Yeah. Goodbye, Hazuko."

He waited a few minutes after she had closed the door behind her before he got up from his desk and left his office.

Walking as a human without a tail felt awkward , but what truly felt stranger still for Runako was his size. His human height was quite average, actually, hardly breaking over six feet tall where before he'd towered over everyone when he was his normal self. And even more peculiar than this was the manner in which everyone reacted to him. Nobody recognized him and the Seraph uniform that he was wearing only made everyone stop and stare, looking utterly bewildered.

A few of the Phoenix Guard had stopped him and made inquiries and Runako was unsettled by how easily he could conjure a believable lie. "Sorry. I'm fresh to the Seraph training program. The Chief wants me to get a physical while he processes my paperwork." The looks they gave him were suspicious because they claimed to have never seen his face before. Well, it's a relief to know that they pay more attention than I thought they did.  Runako thought as they let him pass to the stairs and move down to what was commonly known as the Gray Floor where the medical and science staff conducted their research and care of the patients.

The medical staff seemed not to mind him, but the science officers gave him scrutinizing looks. Undoubtedly, most had committed the names and faces of most of the patients within the building and could not identify this nameless Seraph who now wandered the halls. But it was certainly his uniform that gave them pause.Still, he knew he had to be careful since the incident involving Eckhart. Everyone on the staff was a little more on edge than before.

He made his way to Doctor Adams's office and tried the door. As expected, it was locked. Fortunately for him, he had the key because Graves trusted him. If he finds out about this, he's going to be so mad. He unlocked the door and stepped inside. "How di you get in here!? I locked the door, " Adams stood up suddenly from his desk and stormed over to him. He eyed the uniform and frowned, "Seraph? I've never seen your face before."

Runako slugged him hard across the lower jaw and winced as the poor doctor hit the floor with a dull thud and lie still, "Sorry, " Runako apologized quietly and stripped the man of his uniform and dragged the unconscious doctor out of view from the door and behind his desk. Leaving the body there, he then went through the man's paperwork and took what he needed.

Moments later, he stepped out of the office and made his way to the stairs . careful not to go the same way he'd been before so he wouldn't end up passing the same set of Guards.

His travels took him to the lowermost floor of the building. The Red Floor. Secuirty was awfully tight but he was confident that he could pass through . He had the codes and the badge to show that he belonged here. And he knew enough to bullshit his way through. Unfortunately  , there was one small problem...

"I'm sorry, Doctor Adams but we can't let you through without your team. " The guard told him, with a shake of his head.

"Team?"

"Doctor Carrington, sir. You can't go in without her."

He was surprised that they didn't recognize he wasn't Adams but then again, these kids looked sort of new here. Must have been freshly recruited like poor Morley. "Oh. Yes, of course." Runako tried to remain calm, "Uh , she's on a bio break at the moment. I'll go...check on her. Be back shortly." He hurried back up the stairs.

Shit. There's no way I'm going to get Carrington to go along with this. 
Another trip to the Gray floor and then up another couple floors to the Blue Floor and...

He arrived at Mai's door and knocked on it. Poor Hazuko. It was the dead of night.  When she opened it he tossed a science team uniform at her , "Congratulations! You've been promoted to the science team! Welcome on board, Doctor Carrington!"

((I'm sorry but this amuses me. Totally different direction than I initially intended but I just couldn't resist.  ))

Ivory

Things were changing at Heaven’s Grace, and Mai wasn’t at all sure it was for the better.  It was true that she loathed the status quo – but the status quo was comfortable, and she knew where she stood and what to expect from the Chief, from the Doctor, from the other patients and guards.  It wasn’t much of a life, true, but it was her life, and, at the very least, she knew she would wake up the next day and do it all over again.

But all of this was terribly unsettling.

Perhaps some would call her a conspiracy theorist, but she had always believed there was more going on here than what met the eye.  She certainly didn’t believe all of the stories – stuffing the souls of children into medication, really? – but she didn’t trust the Doctor and his staff in the least…  But, then, she really didn’t trust anybody, did she?

The revelation that the medicine had done something to Runako – whether good or bad, because she wasn’t entirely sure which becoming a giant, bi-pedal cat counted as – was really of little surprise to her.  Of course, the effect itself was quite shocking, but the idea that the Doctor was messing with them all seemed simply par for the course.  It was medicine, and medicine was designed to do something, wasn’t it?

Anyway, it didn’t really matter to Mai.  It wasn’t that she lacked the will to fight – it was simply that her will to live usually over-rode any foolish impulses to get herself killed “doing the right thing.”  Her fight with Eck had reminded her of that fact, and she wasn’t eager to relive that particular mistake again.  Sure, the Doctor might be doing terrible things, but it didn’t affect her; she was alive and well, and there was certainly no reason for her to jump into the middle of someone else’s problem!

However, with all that in mind, their discovery about Runako and the medication made her uneasy.  Maybe it had something to do with Krypi’s cryptic warning that her life was in danger, or maybe it had something to do with some of the nightmares that had always plagued her – hellish visions of labs and doctors doing terrible things that had, obviously, never taken place.  Something about Runako’s predicament just struck too close to home for her…

Sleep was more elusive than it normally was.  There would be no nightmares tonight – just tossing and turning as she tried to close her mind to the day’s events and the doubts and paranoia they had brought to the surface of her mind.  In an effort to find some sleep, Mai had just burrowed into her blankets when the knock on the door roused her.

Go away, she thought bitterly, as though the knock were responsible for the previous hour’s lack of sleep.  It wasn’t; but when she finally rose to see who stood on the other side of the door, she really should not have been surprised to see that the knocker was.

Damn Runako and his sudden curiosity!

Mai stared first at the man, whose face was still unfamiliar to her, and then she looked down to the clothes she held.  “What?”

Paradox

"I forgot that you need a team to gain entrance to the Red Floor. At least one other person so I need you to be my Doctor Carringron, "He admitted sheepishly, " Look, just don't give me that look and get changed into that uniform." And then he added as if that was going to encourage her to go along with this, "please." 

((Short , but lol...))