Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Random Trope Writing Challenge!

Started by Nascent, June 11, 2013, 08:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nascent

So this is an 'I'm up much too late on the Internet' inspired forum game -- a random spark, if you will, so bear with me. The way you play the game is this:

• Go to TvTropes.
  • Hit the 'Random' button (in the upper right).
  • (If the trope just doesn't inspire you, keep hitting 'Random' until something does!)
  • Write a short paragraph, around 3 - 4 sentences (more if you really want), based on the trope you're taken to. It can be a snippet of RP, a character concept, a magic artifact, whatever comes to mind. In essence, this is a glorified brainstorming exercise -- and for the record, any ideas here are free game unless explicitly stated otherwise. Be sure to list (and preferably link to) the trope you use in your post.

Here's an example:

The Orb of Hecate is a powerful magical artifact with the unique distinction of allowing anyone, even those with no prophetic, spiritual, or magical gifts, to see the future in their mind's eye simply by placing one hand upon its smooth obsidian surface and speaking of that which they wish to see. However, there is a problem with the orb... for it does not simply show one future. Instead of the future the orb reveals to those who use it three possible futures: one grand or hopeful, one terrible or miserable, and one in which elements both good and ill have a place in the prophesied outcome. Many have sought out the orb only to come away lost in confusion or despair -- some, indeed, go mad, even commit suicide after repeated uses of the orb. It's said that if the light of a full moon shines upon the orb the laughing faces of three women can be seen, ghostlike, shining on its surface...

Happy troping! :D

Bees

decided to use this as a fun character-making exercise!

my first trope was actually Boomerang Bigot, but i decided not to use it as i found a character i already have for another setting fits it neatly. it's a cyberpunk world where a medical mutation causes a percent of the population to be born with animal traits, and they are severely prejudiced against. my character is one of those mutants herself - with the traits of a dog - but she had her most obvious features surgically removed and hides the others, keeping her identity a strict secret. she, also, really plays up being a bigot when in company of typical humans, in order to further disguise what she is. boomerang bigot indeed.

so, i will reroll. let's see...

calvinball! ho boy!

A particular slope of a particular peak in the Thunderblacks is inhabited by a race of pale-skinned brunette humans, and their symbiotic vermin kin.

This race of diminutive humanoids cohabit with the aforementioned peoples, living in their attics and basements and all other dark and musty corners. They stand at about a toddler's height, have some kind of marsupial pouch in which they carry their young and other bits and bobs, come in many shades which don't seem to follow any law of genetics, and at times are born with feathers, scales, quills or cloven hooves - these usually being altered or removed in infancy, like elaborate circumcisions.

These odd creatures have not been studied well enough, most human inhabitants of the mountain called Tsrna Gora barring the curious from researching their tiny kinsmen. However, from slight observation it can be assessed that these as of yet unnamed humanoids - more akin to goblins or gnomes, truly - are intelligent enough to match the rest of the high races of Le'raana, although their unique habits and cultural norms are, well, unique.

Take, for example, the "rukacha". This game is played by a number ranging from five to twelve tiny humanoids, and seems to varying involve cooking utensils, dolls made from straw or hair, pinecones, matches or scraps of cloth. Mostly, however, the game features the players' limbs.

The players arrange themselves in a circle - or hexagon, or some other angled shape - in pairs, one of the two having their back turned. Sometimes there's an additional, unpaired player who occupies the center, or stands somewhere off to the side. The paired players - who could be either sitting or standing - start making large gestures, utilizing props or themselves, while singing. At times those are actual songs, at others vocalizations, and very few participants follow the same melody. This is a hectic scene.

At a certain moment, all players go completely still in the middle of their gesturing - but one player keeps going. Then, another player gets up - if seated - and either taking a prop or forming a fist, walks up to another player unrelated to the still active one, and hits them over the head. These two players are removed from the game. The positions and pairs shuffle, and the game continues.

While this might seem somewhat alright to comprehend, academics who observed this behaviour noted that as the game progressed, the rules would become less and less obvious, and despite the first "round" having players leave, at later points more would join - sometimes the ones already "kicked out" - and a six players start could end with up to thirty-two players.

Note that the word "end" is used loosely, as the onlookers were incapable of determining how and when the game ends, the players seeming to eventually drift away and become engaged in different tasks - although we cannot be sure if those, too, aren't a part of the game.