Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Plotting: The Tower of Uthlyn!

Started by Echtronis, July 05, 2013, 01:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echtronis

Echo da Noob here! So I came up with an idea that can include a many different types of characters in Connlaoth, stemming from the antagonistic IC plottings of this villain, Dahlekar, who is one of those sad sorts trying to take over way more than he can handle, and, true to classic fantasy villainy, will fail to truly accomplish his ultimate goals.

So here's the overview:

Dhalekar, a Necromancer from the time of Ansgar's life, has awoken with little memory and little understanding of wtf is going on in this day an age, but is a classic overambitious jerk who wants to justify his horrid new existance as a lich by taking over the nearest impressive settlement, which happens to be Uthlyn in Connlaoth. He has a particular lack of understanding of the concept of modern psychology and fails to see how utterly typical and phallic the focus of his ambition is: the huge ass tower in Uthlyn. Master of necromancy and the sciences of sound frequency, he eventually wishes to have built a weird ancient-minded designed machine at the top of the bell-tower that will send a sonic frequency that will slay a very specific but vast type of persons in the local population, followed by a second, necromantic magicky infused sonic frequency, that will animate their just-now recently dead corpses. Oogily boogily nyahaha and all that.

Well, before this weak plan can come to almost-fruition, the ancient bastard has got to get a feel for what he's dealing with, so the bulk of this overall Plotting is about Uthlyn witnessing and dealing with strange occurrences in their locale; I'm thinking weird modified rats running around for the lich's initial observation, the sudden disappearance a few whores here and there, sightings of a freakish ogre, ect.

This is a basic haunting really, but a haunting of a city is a pretty big undertaking so I wish to leave it open to both lend to the reality of scale that would take place in such an undertaking, and to quite honestly get to know you lovely people in RP!

So, it's a lot of directionless-seeming goings on, with the eventual build-up to a climatic evil doomsday condition at the Tower of Uthlyn. My only stipulation would be that I don't really want the villain to be found and slain/beaten to a second undeath (which would be easy if he was discovered as he is, as liches go, kind of a limp-wristed nancy) until after his plan upon the Tower has come to failure. Not to say that his location can't be discovered, but I think it would lend to juicy story if he wasn't put to stop until after he knew he gone done eff'd up.

I intend on opening the thread in Jobias Redding's barber shop, listening to an npc butcher who got a hold of a very strange rat, OR listening to one of your characters who saw some other strange thing. I'm using Jobias as a starting point for the "good guys", but as literary masturbation is not the point of group RPs, I definitely do not want him to have to be the hero that has to do something about this.

So with that in mind, please reply or PM with anything you'd like to come in with! Maybe a concerned citizen trying to get to the bottom of the strange events, or even a villain who noticed the lich's doings and wants to tell him "No, look n00b, like this:", or big hearted characters who discover and show sympathy to Dhalekar's poor Ogre slave (errand boy) 'Smiles', OR, since I foresee a lot of posts starting with "Meanwhile...!", characters who will end up having nothing to do with the main plot but are randomly effected by the naughty necromancing! Whatever you'd like, it's gonna be open so hurrah!

Happy Posting!

Paradox

I...just...LOVE this.

If only I weren't so sleepy right now, I'd have ideas but I'm afraid that reading this has caused my brain to EXPLODE with awesome.

CURSE YOU!

Rhindeer

....Omg.

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT AS PARADOX. COMPLETE WITH NEEDING TO SLEEP NOW BECAUSE WORK BUT OMG.

Needless to say, I want in on this shiznit. 8D

But I have to sleep. And work. CURSES. I'll post something more brainstormy and useful tomorrow, but in the meantime just wanted to say...AWESOME! 8D
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

I wouldn't mind jumping in this band wagon (eventually) too 8D Sounds like a fun idea.
But we'll see. I've got like 50 threads or something here.. but what's one more? XD
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Winters-Feather

i vant in ze shinanagins too! bwahahaha maybe on the baddie side? does this dude have minions?

Echtronis

Ah! Thank you for the curses! They sustaaainn meeeee!

Well you all are, of course, more than welcome to join on in! There's lots of roles that can be picked up by anyone, or even further plottings in the midst of it all. There are endless possibilities for character involvement in the Uthlyn side. Some concepts on the top of my head are; people involved with the college in Uthlyn, those that have an interest in ancient history (maybe we can get into some unexplored history of the peoples that eventually became Connlaothians and Serenians), mages that are undeservingly receiving blame for the phenomena (Oh Connlaoth...), victims out for rescue/revenge, I can go on.

On the phenomena itself, Dhalekar's creations are mostly necrofied beasties with crude metal implants (tin, copper, bronze), with strange ancient symbols etched into the metal, that respond to certain sounds. Sounds themselves! Strange bursts of high pitched echoes from malfunctioning rats, dogs that will relay instructions to other beasties with an awful sound pulse, its just all weird science. Their main goal though is mostly observation and stealing materials, though things go wrong, and sometimes these creations don't act as they were made to.

Winters-Feather! This dude only has the one minion, an enslaved and horribly modified ogre that can't talk more than forced groans and other creepy sounds, but minions would definitely be handy, as some things may require a sharper mind, and Dhalekar is not keen on leaving his hidden lair. Allies for the lich could be cool too, though Dhalekar is a bit difficult to work with. Any ideas?

Echtronis

If you're planning on having interaction with either Dhalekar or Jobias, I think I should point out a couple things; Dhalekar is absolutely TERRIFIED of Angsar, and it's worth noting that he has no idea yet that Angsar has since been raised to godhood and that there are people like him with his power that protect Connlaoth from jerks like Dhalekar. Jobias has a weird thing with Mordecai as well, as he was pretty much banished from their ranks, and there's a lot of bad blood there (really he should of been executed or exiled out of Connlaoth). Just some hooks to grab onto if you were wanting to go that way.

As for Smiles, he's a brute, he's dangerous, and a bit deranged. However, he has deep down inside a sweet heart and absolutely LOATHES his master, but really can't do much about it.

Please feel free to ask me any questions and to share your own ideas, I look forward to see what we come up with!

kleineklementine

If I can pretend that this takes place before the mages started getting shipped off to the camps, then I would be interested in this! My character Olive is a student at the college. She's being shipped off the mage camps in another thread, but if this one were BEFORE that I'd love to play her more! : D

Paradox

Alright. I think I got something. I'm thinking of playing a retired monster who is MOST OFFENDED by the disruption of his golden years! Who summoned those giant rats that ate all the cheese and set the humans into such a state of panic?

I mean SERIOUSLY! Can't a a retired town terror get a little PEACE and quiet around here!? He had such a sweet deal going on too!

No? *sighs * Well, fine! Maybe he'll just have to UNRETIRE and find this giant rat summoner and teach him a lesson!

Alright! Just point him in the direction of the TOWER OF EVIL so he can-

What's this? A - a map!? Urtok can't read!

Okay. Change of plans then. FIRST step to defeating EVIL rat summoner: Find someone who can read that won't run away OR kidnap someone who can read and FORCE them to help him.

Best plan . EVER.

Echtronis

@KleineKlementine: Yeah this can totally be before the camps, probably more fitting to have all this happen before things started to get really bad for the mages, more fuel for the fire for scared and angry commoner supporters of the new Duke (I'm assuming the mage camps are part of the Civil War plot?). Olive looks perfect for this plot! Approved for Team Uthlyn!

@Paradox: HA! I love it! Do it! :D

Paradox

Excellent! x3 I've wanted to create a monster for some time. I had planned on a monster rp with a couple other folks , but they vanished. *le sad!*

I think this is a great opportinity for me to use that abandonned (and extensively modified ) idea now though!

Urtok Pigeonstomper is in the works and will soon be ready to abduct an innocent, literate bystander for his EPIC quest to rid Languish of the obnoxiously over-sized pigeons!

edit: lol I just realized I spelled pigeon wrong.  It has been corrected and it shall offend the eyes of Grammar Nazi's no longer! However, the rest of my post will continue to do so. Mwahahaha!

Echtronis

Hooo boy haha That's gonna lead to some interesting situations! Haha Urtok is pretty awesome; Approved for Team Verminstomping Irregulars!

Brisinger987

Xerordir is VERY interested. A second necromancer in the mix will be fun... LOTS of fun....

Echtronis

Ooohh, hey Bris that'd be interesting! Would Xerordir better fit working with Dhalekar? or would Xerordir be in a necromancer working against this upstart lich in defense of Uthlyn? Possibilities there! Should we PM?

Brisinger987

He would definitely be a supporter of Dhalekar, so he would have the utmost respect for him, and would make it easier

Echtronis

Sounds great, I'm sure you and Nova can come up with something nice :)

WELCOME TO THE BAD GUYS!

Echtronis

Alright! Well as you all know I'm brand spanking new so I'm not sure how it goes with the plotting and then starting of an open thread, but I think we got enough concept floating around here to start getting some RP done! I'm out to do some errands but when I return I'll start the thread, taking place in Jobias' shop as mentioned. Klementine has stepped up to be a part of that first scene and get a haircut, but it is open, so follow your heart's content!

I'd like to reiterate that a lot of the goings ons are taking on in different locations within and outside Uthlyn, so please just be clear on where you characters are! Feel free to just start up in a new location, or join another, please continue to use this plotting thread to bounce around ideas if you wish, and of course most of all, have fun!

Paradox

Quote from: Echtronis on July 05, 2013, 03:18:30 PM
Hooo boy haha That's gonna lead to some interesting situations! Haha Urtok is pretty awesome; Approved for Team Verminstomping Irregulars!

Bestest team EVARZ!

Woo! Yeah! This is gonna be super special awesome! D:<  *sneaks off to kidnap some poor sod*

Echtronis

Echtronis

Update! While Dhalekar and Xerordir, and Jobias and Olive, are just having met eachother, there's still lots of room for more faces to appear in this storyline! They do not have to be initially involved in the current scenes, as there are, or can be, lots of things happening that can connect to the overall plot.

Some example regional hooks:

Rats in Uthlyn! The menacing antagonist has strange, mindless minions running around, hiding in plain sight, all throughout Uthlyn. Some small, some large, most undead, some rigged to explode in bizarre supersonics! Signs of necromancy, or whatever the hell you can call what Dhalekar does, could be quite alarming for those involved with protecting Uthlyn, from the guard, to the church, to the Mordecai.  For you scholarly types, most of the metallic implements are riddled with strange runes that hint to an origin of a time before Connlaoth! Ooo! Mystery!

Missing Farmers! Necromancy has a pretty specific main ingredient, and as such, our dastardly villain frequently sends his freakish, Frankenstein-like ogre, Smiles, to send out and snatch unsuspecting farmers from the rural areas to bring them back for the lich's twisted designs, only to return them as zombies to claim more! Where are they coming from, and how long will the people stand for this?! Gasp! Revenge!

The Queen of the Tower! Dhalekar is a wretched fool struck with wild illusions of grandeur! He plans on taking over Uthlyn, ruling from it's tower through command over the dead, and to complete the picture, he wishes to share his dream with an immortal bride, whether she's willing or not! Perhaps a lovely girl from one of Uthlyn's famous brothels who was, or will be, snatched by minions of the lich to be immortalized as undead? Perhaps a black hearted sorceress, sick of Connlaoth's rusting iron fist held over mage-kind plays along the madness of the Necromancer? Sigh! Romance!

Dey Took Our Jerbs! Uthlyn's Vermin Exterminator Guild is starting to get an alarming influx of complaints about the supposed layabouts not doing their job! Is this a plot by terrorist mages attempting to undermine the efforts of the standing of the good non-magical man? Is there a new rival guild releasing vermin in attempt to come into the spotlight by saving the people from the disaster they secretly created? Can the Guild profit from apparent disaster?! Oi vey! Intrigue!

As for personal hooks, I cannot speak for the characters that are not mine (though I encourage you to express yours if you so desire!), but as for mine;

Dhalekar, though only now starting to make "his big move", has been awake for some time now, and perhaps he has either created, enslaved, or somehow convinced, others to join his cause. He is an ancient thing, from a time forgotten, but there are those who have existed for longer than even the lich could date back!

Jobias, much to his humility, was exiled from Connlaoth's capital, and the Order of Mordecai. For speaking against the Church, he by all rights should of been executed for his actions, but someone unknown to him had the influence to spare him of such a fate! Whoever it was, Jobias owes his life to them. A member of the Mordecai? A high standing member of the church who knew of the corruption Jobias spoke against? Who knows?! YOU do, of course!

And what of the enigmatic Urtok Pigeonstomper, who has yet to appear in this adventure? What designs does his sharkiest of muns have in store for him?! Hmm? HMM?!?

Share your thoughts! Your plots! Your progeny of personae! THE TRUE ADVENTURE HAS YET TO BEGIN!