Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Cake & Venom.(Spice)

Started by Paradox, October 12, 2013, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

"A leg?" Conall stared at Aella, unblinking and then he chuckled, "Oh dear. I don't think it necessary to be quite so uh...dramatic. "  Though Conall wasn't much of a fan of his works, he was not about to judge Aella for liking them. Emberly's writing was definitely for women. It was dramatic , silly and chalk full or romance that one would only expect to find in fantasy. His smile was ever kind towards her , " There's no such thing as too romantic. Ah, but I am intrigued now. I do not believe I've ever read this 'The Scorching Crown'. Would you tell me more?"

visualspice

"Well, my mother doesn't like me talking about it," she admitted sheepishly. "It's about magic and things." And here, she leaned in to whisper the revelation as closely to him as she could, "And that's illegal." Well, at least if it were real, the actions there in would be!
Though as she was leaning in real close to speak to him- a voice behind her made her jump.

"Mother!" Aella's eyes were as wide as the tower of Uthlyn, and she blinked as she regarded Duke Allarrick on her arm.

"Turns out some spilled wine is an easy thing to fix," Calent said, eyes meeting to Conall's before he turned his attention to Aella. "So I hear you are speaking about plays? Emberly's 'The Break and Wine' is excellent, though 'Thorns of Allegiance' is one of my favorite."

"Oh! Emberly's plays are so magnificent!" And Aella felt too sheepish to admit to Calent she hadn't seen one. Though she had read them all.

"THough I haven't seen a good performance of it in ages. Pity the writer's wife turned out to be a mage. He had grown depressed after the fact and hung himself, so the world can no longer be gifted by his talent in writing." And to Conall, he turned, a fresh wine glass within his own hand as he gestured, "And yourself, Duke Shanley? What sort of plays do you prefer?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall gave a soft gasp and blushed lightly at Aella's confession for enjoying reading mildly sinful material. But from what little she told him, he wondered if it really was. Reading about magic wasn't evil unless , of course, said literature attempted to paint a false, positive image of its vile nature. He could only assume that this was what Aella was referring to and he frowned slightly with disapproval. Of course he thought no less of Aella for taking an interest in such things for surely she knew better than to mix fantasy with reality?

Allarick's voice didn't invoke the same reaction from Conall as it did from Aella. With a neutral expression , he regarded the duke of Allar and quietly listened to him list off his preferences. Conall feigned interest , though deep down he was still very much put off by how he and Aella had been treated less than ten minutes ago.

He held his tongue while Allarick spoke of Emberly and there were things on Conall's mind which he dare not speak for concern of uttering an unpopular opinion, but he frowned at the mention of the man's wife and how it was a 'pity' that she had been a mage. And to think that a man would hang himself over such a thing...it was tragic but not because the wife had been a mage but because Emberly wasn't strong enough to deal with that fact.

Now that the conversation shifted to his own interests , Conall adopted a thoughtful look, "I've always been fond of Mister Zermuth's works. Most of his plays, as you are likely to know are historical. However, there is one fictional work that I was quite intrigued by called 'The Saint's Wanderer' or 'The Wanderer' . It's said to be based off a true story. Tis a historical romantic tragedy, but it's quite old and has been rewritten numerous times.  Zermuth took some creative liberties with it, but I rather like what he die with it. It's a lot less morose than the original tale and I won't spoil anything ,but the ending is bittersweet. "

visualspice

"Zermuth," Calent repeated plainly. "I always believed Waverly had better historical pieces. At least his version of Ansgar's rising and his fictional plot where the future was cured of the evils of magic, has some admirable voices behind it- not to mention it offers some compelling thoughts to what we, as Connlaothians, have to deal with on a daily basis. Not everyone can be as humbled by magicians as the Serenians." And the last part was said with just a hint of distaste.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

"Interesting, "Conall replied in earnest , though not in agreement with anything that the man was saying, "and what ,pray tell, would you say that a Connlaothian suffers from on a daily basis, Lord Allarick?" He had a feeling that he knew what the man would say, but there was always the chance that one might say something that wasn't expected. He suspected that Calent would dismiss it as a foolish question and that the answer to it should have been obvious. 

visualspice

Conall was right, and the man cast him a sneer but didn't bother to respond as he sipped his wine. Though sensing some of the tension, though not fully realizing while, Aella smiled and politely added in, "But oh, what about symphonies? Graeschlin has some beautiful music, in fact, I hear his piece playing now, On Rose Wood."
Aella smiled happily about it while Calent's gaze drifted over towards where the small band was performing the piece.

Paradox

Conall smirked and was about to offer a retort when Aella interrupted them. Where Calent seemed too haughtily preoccupied with music, Conall's attention shifted to the young lady curiously, "Indeed. Do you play an instrument, my lady?"

visualspice

Aella shook her head.
"No, no instruments. I know some piano, but my playing is somewhat clumsy. I can sing well enough, but nothing to boast about."
And with a curious tilt to her head, she inquired back, "What about you, Duke Shanley? Do you play an instrument or two?"

Paradox

"I'm sure you're not so bad. Singing is no small talent and alas it is one I do not have, " Conall replied with a grin, " Ah, but I do play a couple of instruments, actually. Mother insisted upon learning to play the violin and piano. My talents are nothing to brag of either.  My sister , on the other hand..." His expression softened a bit, his gaze sorrowful, "She was ...truly gifted. " He forced a smile and shook his head, " So you say you can sing. What songs do you favor?"   

visualspice

"Oh, normally the classics, really. Some of Gaerren and Issontahl." She gave a nod, then realized her manners, smiled and turned to Duke Allarrick.

"I heard you play an instrument," she told Calent warmly. His eyes sought to hers and he nodded. "Several instruments in fact and well, that your playing is very famous from what I hear, though I must say I haven't heard you play, though my mother says you are wonderful. Perhaps you can play something for us tonight?" She knew her mother would be happy she suggested it. She knew her mother was keen on him and then, turning to Conall she smiled to him as well.
"And perhaps you and I could try our hand at something, Duke Shanley. That is, if you'd be up to play some Issontahl. I've been very inspired by that music as of lately. It just sounds so pretty."

Calent stared at the pair,a nd after a moment, he interjected his own thoughts.
"And perhaps you and I could play something together as well. I know you say you don't play any instruments, but your mother has informed me you've been learning the harp."

Feeling uneasy he'd bring that up, she took a step back and averted her eye to the floor.
"Oh, nothing performance worthy. ANd surely not at an event like this."

And he peered over at Conall before looking back to Aella.
"It's your birthday. I'm sure the guests would be thrilled."

Aella awkwardly nodded her head.
"Y-yes, I'm sure they would agree."
Oh boy, did that mean she just offered to play?

Paradox

Of course your mother would say so. Who didn't fall over themselves to flatter an Allarick ? Not that Calent's talent as a musician was anything to dismiss for it was surely an impressive thing, but the man received far more credit than necessary. Of course House Allarick was ever showered with praise and compliments and it wasn't quite envy that seeped into Conall's veins but annoyance. Conall had limited dealings with the Allarians and he'd dismissed his father's claims that they were full of themselves. Though he knew he couldn't judge their people by their duke alone , Conall couldn't help but wonder if maybe his father had been right about more things than he'd care to admit...

"Issontahl? I am indeed familiar," he bowed elegantly, "It would be a tremendous honor to play with you, my lady." 

Conall noted Aella's sudden look of discomfort at Calent's suggestion of playing the harp with him , "Come now, Lord Allarick. One must not put the birthday girl on the spot. " He told the man pleasantly, though inwardly he was wondering what the man was about. Was it that he did not know nervous poor Aella could get? Did he consider that she might feel uncomfortable performing in front of such a large audience? Of course if Melora caught wind of this suggestion, Conall was certain that Melora would push the two to play a duet or something just to make it look as though her daughter and the duke of Allar were an item.

"Lady Aella, you need not play for us if that is not your wish. No one would take offense, unless of course they think themselves above your preferences. I would not hold it against you, but if I am to be honest I think as beautiful as the harp is , the sound of your sweet voice is far more a captivating melody to my ears.   "

visualspice

Aella's cheeks went pink at the compliment, but before she had a chance to reply to either, the Duchess appeared.

"I hope you are all enjoying the evening," Duchess Melora's voice was smooth as she spoke, a hand moving with elegant grace as she took in the small group of people surrounding her sweet daughter. "The peach punch is excellent. It has some exotic nectars imported from Essyrn. YOu should all give it a try." And to Aella, she gestured, "And I have a few people I'd like for you to meet, my child. Come, let us let the men continue to mingle while we do the same ourselves. I'm sure they would not hesitate to join you in conversation and dance later on." And Melora tossed a smile to both, though Conall's was obviously forced.

Calent, who remained quiet throughout the ordeal, only nodding once towards the Duchess, eventually let his cool gaze turn to the other Duke.
"So how fairs Ardal?" he said, taking a sip of his drink.

Paradox

Conall was sorry to see Aella leave and surprised that Duke Allarick made an effort to further pursue any sort of conversation with him. Where some may have felt flattered by being honored with the wealthy duke's most precious time, the young duke of Ardal merely felt curious. Was Allarick truly that bored? Interested? Or simply using this opportunity to measure him in a political sense? Hm. Quite likely the first and last of these options was probable. Airs were hardly necessary after all because while duke Shanley was a duke, he was still very much an unknown to the court and idly he wondered if that might one day make someone nervous.

"She suffers , but she endures as she always has. Time will do little to heal the deep wounds of treachery that have been inflicted upon my House and my people. An investigation into the attacks against House Shanley were initiated immediately after the attacks. There are bits and pieces that the attackers left behind, but no concrete evidence has been yet located to suggest whom is the perpetrator-"

"I hear it was the work of terrorist mages." A tall, stately lord from Highheart sniffed.

Conall regarded Lord Gracivius Thornmire with a slight frown, "There was nothing to indicate such, but neither is there evidence to refute these claims. Mage or not, the act of murder by one party or the other does not give crimes like murder or treason any less weight. "

Gracivius nodded, "A fair point, but you have much greater cause to be wary if there are rogue mages running about with their insidious magics and spreading their taint throughout the country. I pray that you do not find yourself facing such a grave challenge,  duke Shanley."

"All that can be done is to continue the search and strengthen our defenses. "

But Ardal had ever been so vigilant. How his father could have missed the attack...Conall was at a loss but he had a theory. A dark, unpleasant theory that he could barely stomach thinking about.

visualspice

"It's good to hear the duchy remains strong. Sometimes changes in power can leave it's people feeling uneasy." Calent knew this first hand, though he was ruling at even a younger age than Conall, technically his father was still on the throne- but his illness kept him mostly bedridden, while Calent was quickly forced to take the reins.

He stared at Conall in silence before someone else chimed in, and at the mention of rogue mages, he frowned.
"Mages are a natural taint, as proclaimed by Ansgar. If I were you and you found it was indeed, some mage group parading against the government and were the ones responsble, I'd make the laws in your land stricter against them- to remind them that mockery against their lord, and their god, is not left without punishment. After all, you give them some room to make that sort of scratch, you might be dealing with something even more grave than losing your family."
And Calent was most serious about that as he looked over at the other Duke.

Paradox

"No. Magic is the taint, " Conall was quick to correct the older man, "not the mage. And no being is born without sin. Not you, not I.  It is the magic-user , the one who willingly embraces the temptation of sin without remorse that is the black spot on society. Not the child who cannot help that his father was born with such wicked power and certainly not the mage who rejects the taint and surrenders her life to dawn the noble mantle of God's work. "

The glare he gave Calent was equally chilly and the expression on his face told him that he believed in his words and nothing would change that, "Thank you for your input, Duke Allarick, but I think I'm capable of deciding what is best for Ardal and my people. " He offered a polite smile in spite of his agitation, " The thing is, I am not you nor do I wish to be. " He could have gone on , but he was not here to be petty and make personal attacks. "I have my ways and you shall come to know them soon enough. A little patience, and a firm guiding hand is what these people need. I would rather that the people respect my rule than to cower and hate me from the shadows. One goes a lot farther with kindness and compassion than an iron fist, Lord Allarick.  But I am no pushover. I swear by all that is holy that anyone who crosses me or threatens the welfare of my land and people will learn to regret it and shall feel the full extent of my wrath as well as Ansgar's. "

And that was no empty threat, it was a promise. 

visualspice

Calent stared at the man listlessly, though it was evident in the tense air much more was shared.
"Yes, no one would presume you to be the Duke of Allar." And he peered the man over before glancing away. "Excuse me, I do believe I'm wanted elsewhere." And the Duke of Ardal was left alone.

Paradox

"Yes, I wouldn't want to keep you," he smiled pleasantly though inwardly he thought , from all of your sycophants.

In other words, Calent had grown bored or irritated with the conversation and rather than engage it, he chose to flee. How many more exchanges would happen like this, Conall wondered. Because he felt that this wasn't the first or last time he'd have to deal with Allarick. It was really more of a gut feeling that told him such than anything. It always seemed to be that Ansgar enjoyed presenting challenges for him and Conall wasn't sure if he ought to have felt honored that his God found him worthy to be tested so or if he ought to beseech him and ask him to lighten up a bit.

Conall scowled, Indeed. I would hope not.For I am not a self-absorbed brat with a stick shoved so far up up my patronizing, sanctimonious ass.

But Ardal didn't need Allar when it had most of the West and Matron's Hollow that it could trade with. House Allarick was not the only House in the Grand Duke's good graces.

He took a deep breath to calm his nerves and prayed to Ansgar that Allarick had been the worst of this evening. Knowing his luck, that probably wouldn't be the case. 

visualspice

The next to approach the young duke of Ardal was none other than Calent's 'right hand man'- or rather, the right hand man of Calent's father thusly inherited to his son. Vesrik Delcheaux was not a beautiful man in any right, not in brains or looks, and with a large nose, several chins and standing much taller than an ordinary Connlaothian ought, he was definitely one of the least sought after men- except for those unwittingly desiring to get close to the Duke of Allaar.

"Ah, why if it isn't Conall Shanely, Duke of Ardal. How fairs trade?" he asked cooly, and without missing a beat as he snatched up a goblet of wine from a servant passing by and offered one over to the young pup. "As in, make any good trade lately? Also, you'll want to drink some of this. It will help rid that sour look upon your face. But good heavens, why on earth would any one appear so sour at suhc an event? Does the young, unwed daughter of Melora displease you so much? I know she's a tad young, but are you both not hte same age, my duke?" And at suhc a question, he gave a delicate sip of his wine.

Paradox

Conall was hardly familiar with Vesrick, but knew just enough about the man to recall that the large, pig-faced gentleman (if he could be called such) was in one of Allarick's pockets. Or was it the other way around? Though to what extent he should be wary, duke Shanley was not quite yet certain.

He regarded Vesrick with a wary, critical eye and accepted the wine with a reflexive and polite, "Thank you." but did not drink it. The wine certainly wouldn't kill him, but he wasn't finding himself terribly thirsty so he held it while he listened to the other man talk.

He elevated a brow slightly towards the suggestion that Aella would sour his mood. "Lady Aella is a friend blessed with a sweet nature. It is highly improbable that she would sour one's mood and especially mine, Lord Delcheaux. Nay, I was reflecting for a moment on the last visit I paid to Hellvion." And that was a lie and he knew that Delcheaux would likely perceive it as such, but  it would be left at that.

"Trade took a blow, but that's not surprising given the late circumstances. However, we'll likely recover within the next month or so. I've already been swamped with new proposals. " And that wasn't surprising either. He had been warned that the more ambitious merchants were going to try and take advantage of his youth and inexperience.

visualspice

"Ah yes.. Any Allarrian requests? I know a few, new eager bloods in the trades market has popped up on our shores. Surely you would not turn down a novice?" he inquired, giving another delicate sip to his drink. "Seems a lot of old blooded merchants are passing on their legacy and some have more children than business, so they seek other means- as you can see..."