Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Getting Our Hands Dirty (Open!)

Started by Pandoru, November 30, 2013, 08:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandoru

Impeccable timing.

The typically pleasant and warm expression on Pandoru's face had been twisted into a bitter scowl, buckets and tools in hand as she made her way towards the small running stream. A merchant had taken a liking to the style and embellishments on a set of plates she had for sale, and promptly ordered six more. The young woman had no doubt in her mind that he'd likely resell them to wealthier residents elsewhere in the nation, making up some kind of elaborate story that they were restored stoneware of ancient kings. But... that was the risk she had to take. Pride would not put food on her table. Unfortunately, neither would her trade, if she had no clay to make them with. Thankfully the merchant informed her he'd be staying in the town for the next seven or eight nights. Ample time to produce fresh clay, and to get all of the mans plates accounted for.

"You know, I'm fairly certain I told you to do this yesterday."

Pandoru rolled her eyes. Apris had indeed warned her that her supplies were low, going so far as to kill the fire in her kiln to get her attention. The young woman had acknowledged the fact, and agreed that she would go out and get some more. Interestingly enough, she'd agreed to do such on this day, but now there was a bit more pressure on her. "Well, it would have been nice of you to include the fact that a pretty coin was in store if I did." she muttered under her breath. Apris chuckled. "Besides, it would have been enough if he'd requested five or six cups or even a few sets of flatware... but nooo, he wanted those ones!" Hopefully no one was around to see her go off like a raving lunatic. After all, there were no flames for Apris to materialize in, thus it seemed that she was very much just talking to herself.

"You should be more grateful for the kindness of strangers and the opportunities fate has brought you. He easily could have found a more familiar name to order from. Instead, he stopped at your small shop, in a small town, where he probably would have done no more than stay the night."

The redhead sighed softly. Perhaps she was being overly critical. Frustration, that's what it was. She'd have been far more excited and eager to do the work, but the lack of clay had brought unneeded stress upon her. A slight nod of her head told Apris that the girl understood, and that there would be no further disagreements. Finally, she had come to the stream. The buckets and screens were set down, and as the young woman got to her knees, a bucket was taken in hand and scraped along the bank. Scum, silt and clay slick all filed the container, along with a hefty amount of water of course. Thankfully she had no plans for the night.

This was going to take a while.

Wicked Basket

Lucian wasn't sure how long he had been walking, but it must have been a long time. He soon came across a river with a woman on the other side of it dipping buckets into the flowing water. Lucian was curious as to what she was doing, so he stayed and watched, doing his best to hide his massive form.

Pandoru

As long as the chore may have been, at least it was going smoothly. Everything that had made it into her bucket was exactly as she intended it to be. Her previous run had been a bit chaotic. The only logical explanation she could think of was that it had been spawning season for the local aquatic life. That or the small fish that flourished in the stream had simply thought that morning to be a wonderful day to visit her bucket, whichever. Pandoru let a soft breath, dumping the load into her other bucket, which at the moment was filled only slightly with water. Hopefully all would settle and separate properly. It was such a hassle to do it by hand. On the bright side, the hard labor brought sweet rewards. If she managed to produce enough this day, another run for clay wouldn't be necessary for another month at least.

"Pandoru."

The redhead said nothing, absentmindedly pulling a twig for the lump of clay at the bottom of her bucket. Silence, however, did not mean the Salamanders voice went ignored.

"Child, you're being watched."

She hummed thoughtfully, though not an ounce of concern could be detected in the whimsical note. Apris did not sound threatened, and as such, Pandoru felt no need to panic or go into hiding. The fae was good at detecting eyes locked on her body, but without eyes of her own, Apris had no way of pinpointing where exactly any lingering gazes may have originated from. Last time the Salamander had warned the girl of such a thing, Pandoru frantically looked around only to discover that the threatening glower belonged to an overly fuzzy squirrel. But, for the peace of mind of her only friend, Pandoru lifted her gaze.

There did appear to be... something, though it was still a fair distance away, and seemed determined to keep itself hidden. However, it didn't seem like the  'predator-hunting-prey' kind of concealment. More like something curious. Human or animal, she couldn't tell, but with a slowly arching brow and an equally slow limb, the artisan lifted a hand in greeting. Perhaps now was as good a time as any to have her lunch? Anything living had to get hungry eventually, and though it was a humble meal of bread and cheese, she had brought a bit extra on the off chance one was in need of feeding. Apris often scolded her for throwing crumbs and scraps to the birds and raccoons. The salamander insisted they would follow her home one day, and then she'd be stuck with them.

Setting her equipment down, Pandoru sat along with it, withdrawing a simple white bundle that held her goods. Reserved as she was, some company would be a nice change.   

Wicked Basket

The woman had suddenly stopped what she was doing and stood up. Had she seen him? What was that white bundle she held? Lucian decided to leave and avoid confrontation. Lucian turned to leave and came face-to-face with a large snake. He jumped backwards on fright of the unknown creature and ended up tripping and falling into the river with a terrific splash. Lucian sat up in the water and rubbed the back of his head. He had hit his head on something, but he didn't seem to be bleeding as there was no blood on his hand. However, that woman would surely have seen him now.

Pandoru

Nothing? Maybe she scared it. Pandoru wouldn't lie to herself, she was a bit disappointed. It would have been nice to have someone to talk to... not that Apris was bad company of course. Perhaps another day. Her attention had been brought to her meal, but just as her fingers touched the ivory knot to undo it, her ears were met with a terrific splash.  As quickly as she'd sat the girl was back on her feet, a startled yelp leaving her lips as she clutched the package to her chest. An impressive wave of water shot out in all directions, with their creator placed neatly in the middle of the steady stream.

"I told you!"

He was a giant among men! Well, if he was a man. The world was a magical place, and just because one appeared human didn't quite.. make them as such. Bah, she was over complicating the situation. Dark skin, dark hair, but a well-defined frame for such simple clothing. Perhaps he was a hunter from a near by region? Or a farmer of sorts! One could definitely get that kind of build manning fields. It wasn't something she herself had a lot of experience with, but the other villagers were happy to tell her stories of how much their body ached after plowing farmland. She swallowed the lump in her throat, trying to steady her startled self. She took careful note of how he gingerly grasped the back of his skull. Had he hurt himself? It was hard to tell, what with the blackness of his tresses.

"Are-," her voice squeaked, and after clearing her throat once more, Pandoru gave speaking another try. "Are you.. okay?" The woman's voice trembled slightly, gentle despite unease, and she couldn't be sure if he'd even actually heard her. Kindness would get the better of her one day, she was sure. Yes, it was kind to check on the well being of strangers, but this individual was huge! If he wasn't friendly, he could snap her like a dry twig. Another soft breath, trying desperately to ease her shaken nerves. "... Quite the fall."

Wicked Basket

Lucian turned his head toward the woman as she spoke to him.
"I don't believe that I am harmed," he said sounding somewhat unsure of what he was saying. He picked himself up out of the water and looked down at his soaking wet apparel before turning to face the woman. He looked at her dumbfounded as he had no idea what say or do.

Pandoru

Such startling eyes! Both brows lifted in shock as the man stood, his figure easily dwarfing her by a foot and a half, maybe even pushing two. He seemed much less... intimidating, sitting in the water. Regardless of his size he still didn't seem 'dangerous' per se. Besides, if he meant her harm, surely he would have acted by now? Though the man said he was free from injury, he still seemed somewhat perplexed. Maybe he'd simply landed hard and dazed himself, maybe there was more to this strange occurrence. She didn't know, and frankly Pandoru felt that a blunt 'what are you doing here?' was a bit too forward. He seemed equally as hesitant to speak as she, and thus, lest they fall into awkward silence, a small smile pulled itself across the woman's soft features. "I'm glad."

Silence fell despite her best efforts, and the female tried desperately to pull any kind of topic out of the air that may reduce any aura of strangeness. But what exactly does one discuss with someone they just met? Let alone a giant that was soaked head to toe and very confused as to his situations. She blinked. He'd get sick if he stayed like that! "Oh... !" She had no spare rags, and the only cloth she'd brought with her was the one containing her lunch. "Here, sit down." She waved the man over, making sure their designated seating area was free from wetness. "I'll make us a fire.. you can dry yourself that way." Without another hesitation, the girl began gathering stray branches off of the ground. It wouldn't be a large fire, but hopefully it would be enough to keep the other from catching a chill. "Do you-.. are you hungry?" 

In the back of her mind, Apris sighed.

Wicked Basket

Lucian was somewhat perplexed as she called him over to sit down. He figured that maybe he should since he was watching her without her consent. Lucian made his way over to this strange woman, the water offering no resistance to his long strides. Once he got to where Pandoru was she started gathering sticks after saying something about building a fire. Lucian looked down at the pile of sticks.
"What are you doing," he asked carefully.

Pandoru

She paused in her motions, her arm frozen in the action of placing the final gnarled twig on the pile of similar looking wood pieces. Pandoru blinked. Had he... not done this before? Clearly he wasn't the wilderness-wandering type she had thought of originally. Even so, most individuals at least knew the process of building a fire. Did he not light a stove at night for his supper? Did he not warm himself by the hearth on bitter cold nights? Breaking her statuesque posture, other 'what-ifs' began  making their home in the females all too curious mind. What if he had hit his head terribly hard and the poor gentleman couldn't remember basic survival skills?

"Hi didn't fall that hard."

Ah, too true. That kind of landing would have knocked a person unconscious. Then again, she wasn't exactly sure what she was dealing with. He was unusually colored, perhaps this was... a magical being... a cave dweller! A nocturnal humanoid who lived in darker areas and had no need for fires to light their ways, perhaps with alternate methods of heating themselves. Or maybe... her brows lifted slightly... maybe she was in the presence of nobility! Yes of course! Such individuals wouldn't know the process of fire-making, for they always had servants to do those tasks for them!

Apris laughed at her.

Though her thought process was much more complicated and flying at the speed of light, in reality, her pause was four or five seconds at most. After pulling herself back to reality, Pandoru let another small smile. Perhaps she could be a teacher to this man... or perhaps he was playing a prank. "When one wishes to make a fire, they gather tinder and kindling... small things to light, and bigger things to actually feed the flame. Usually fires that are going to last the night need much bigger branches than these... but if it's only to dry you off, hopefully these will suffice." She piled them carefully, organized in such a way that no stray sparks would cause it to burn in any other areas of their clearing. "I've read that those without magic usually use a flint and steel to make their sparks.. or rub two sticks together for friction to get an ember. However..." As she lifted her hand away, her middle finger gave the pile a quick tap, and the whole collection was consumed by a warm flame, "... I'm lucky."

She sat by the fire, once again starting to undo the package of food. "May I have your name?" 

Wicked Basket

Lucian had been listening intently as she explained how someone would start a fire. Once the fire was lit he kneeled down and examined it. Fire. It seemed familiar. This woman also had magical abilities. Did he? He had never tried any magic before. His entire thought process was interupted when the woman asked for his name. He had one of those. It was the one thing he had when he had awaken in this strange world.
"My name is Lucian," he said with a bit more confidence. It sure felt right to say it. Now that he had heard himself say it he knew that Lucian had to be his name. He stared into the fire once more.

Pandoru

Ah, good, so he hadn't forgotten everything. That ruled out the whole 'bump on the head' scenario... which was unlikely to begin with, but the redhead wasn't exactly keeping tabs on her thought process. She smiled. "Pleasure to meet you Lucian. I'm Pandoru." After some struggle, the white parcel upon her lap had finally opened to reveal its contents: a divided loaf of bread, and few slices of aged cheese, likely the product of the oxen this region was known to so lovingly care for. Her head was full of questions; many things that may have been a tad too nosy to ask a person she had literally just met.

"He's likely traveled a very long way to end up here. Our land has many well-developed individuals, but their hardly giants."

While Apris may have had a point, Pandoru wasn't overly concerned about his origin at this point in time. There were more pressing matters to attend to, such as any injuries he may have received from the fall. Also the matter of him drying off. Was the fire warm enough? Did she need to fuel it a bit more. But more importantly...

"Are you hungry?"

Wicked Basket

Was he hungry? He couldn't recall eating anything since he had woken up, so he probably was. This woman, who's name he now knew was Pandoru, did not seem to have much of he assumed to be food in that bundle on her lap. Lucian knew enough to know that someone of his stature would be able to eat quite a bit and even if he ate all that she had brought with her he would still be unsatisfied. Lucian decided to not take advantage of this stranger's kindness and be unsatisfied with no food as opposed to unsatisfied with a little food.
"I am content," he replied.
Lucian examined this Pandoru carefully for the first time since he had fallen in the river. He had never seen anyone with hair as red as hers was. Her eyes were also a very vibrant light blue that seemed as though one would still be able to see them in the dark. Pandoru looked similar to himself in basic structure; two arms, two legs, one head, etc., but her skin was not nearly as dark and she was not nearly as tall. Pandoru definitely did not seem to be like him. He had seen many like her though. Humans he believed they were called. None of the humans looked like him though. None were as tall or as strong. Some of them had dark skin and black hair, but that meant nothing. Lucian had also never found another individual who had yellow eyes like he did. Lucian decided that he was clearly not human.
Lucian sighed heavily. If he wasn't a human, then what was he?

Pandoru

'Content,' she knew, from assisting in the care of children and growing boys, usually meant 'yes – but not what you're having.' However, the young woman held her tongue. While she enjoyed caring and nurturing others, it wasn't her place to force a meal upon someone she'd just met... maybe in another hour or two, but not right now. Instead, Pandoru smiled, giving a small nod of acknowledgment to his reply. 'More for you!' she was sure Apris would comment, yet the Salamander remained silent. Perhaps her friend could detect the slight disappointment in her mindset, and felt that now may not have been an appropriate time to remind the redhead that she needed to eat more.

A piece of bread and slice of cheese were layered upon one another, and the youth took a small bite. It was a snack any upperclassman would have turned their nose up to, but Pandoru enjoyed the simplicity of her meals, and she certainly enjoyed the smaller bill after she'd done her shopping at the market. Sure, she'd indulge in a slightly exotic spice every now and again, but there was no need to feast on large plates of vegetables and roasts when all you needed to feed was yourself. 'Living outside your means' is what they called that, and typically those that were guilty ended up much more hungry in the end, once all their coin had been spent.

Her new friend sighed, just heavily enough to pull her eyes up from the flame. Was he troubled? Was he not warm enough? Had he decided that he actually was hungry? Did he... not enjoy her company but felt obligated to stay? Did he find her strange for being so openly generous? Not all creatures had such kind hearts after all.

"You're thinking into this far too deeply."

She blinked. Apris was right. She needed to remind herself that Lucian had just fallen in a river. For all she knew, he was just exhausted. Who knew how long he'd been traveling before they'd bumped into one another. Well, there was one way to be sure of that. "Where are you from?" she paused. "You don't seem to be from any place nearby."   

Wicked Basket

"I........I don't know where I'm from," Lucian said solemnly. "All I know is that I woke up one day in this strange world with only my name."
Lucian felt that perhaps he was revealing too much, but this woman had a kind a pure heart, so he decided to continue. Maybe she could help him.
"I don't even know what I am. I look so different from everyone else. It's clear to me that I'm not human, but what else is there?"
Lucian sighed sadly. He had pprobably just blown the poor woman's mind. She might even think he was a freak, or a pyscho, or one of those other names that people had called him after driving him away or trying to kill him. There had to be more to him than just a name.

Pandoru

A whole slurry of questions instantly flooded her mind, but she waited patiently for him to finish. After all, a vital detail may be missed if she spoke too soon. Her head slowly titled to one side, absorbing every detail this man cared to share with her. He didn't know where he was from? Then... perhaps he had bumped his head at some point? The more he spoke, the more sympathy she began to develop for him. That feeling of loneliness, confusion, a questioning of self... she could relate. Strange, how the world would seem to bring two people together, even if just for a passing moment. All things happened for a reason in the young woman's mind, whatever that reason may be, and perhaps the two of them were meant to help each other.

There were many cruel things she was sure Lucian had been called, and a good number of them that she herself had probably heard directed her way. People feared what they did not understand, and maybe that, in the end, was why no one wished to give Pandoru any details of her family as a child. Was it fair? No, but that didn't mean that she didn't understand. But what they lacked to tell her drove her; motivated to keep her going, and to find her own answers.

"This world... is a magical place," she started. Truth be told, it sounded like the beginning to a bad childrens story, but she could think of no other way to gather her thoughts. "I can't say that I've ventured far into it, but I've seen a fair amount of things one might consider strange or unusual... and you," she smiled, "are not one of them." She set her snack down on the ivory rag, taking a moment to adjust her clothing. "I've read a lot of books and talked to a lot of travelers. Wanderers and wizards, shape-shifters. My tomes tell of angels and demons and spirits that have sometimes come to walk on this planet. Elementals: dryads, sylphs and salamanders," she felt a deep warmth in her body. Clearly Apris was happy to be talked about, even if indirectly. "All in all... I don't think anything is out of the question. Maybe you aren't human... but that doesn't make you inhuman... you know?"

At this point, Pandoru wasn't sure if she was actually making any sense or if she was just babbling on and on about a point that made her sound intelligent. She scratched her cheek softly, silence falling on her as she tried to think of anything else to add.  Previous reading may have labeled him as Essryni, but books would only help her so much, and that was a looong walk. "Do you remember where you woke up?" she began again. "Surely a nearby town would at least recognize you."

Wicked Basket

"I know that I awoke within a forest," Lucian replied, "but the last town that would recognize me drove me away."
Lucian sighed. According to Pandoru, not being human didn't make him inhuman, yet everywhere he went he people were afraid of him. He tried his best not to appear threatening, but when you're so much bigger than everyone else it makes that difficult. Lucian began to wonder why this woman was so different. She did fear him at first, but now she felt sympathy for him. Why couldn't everyone act this way? Why hadn't anyone else taken the time to talk to him?
"You're different than the others," Lucian told her. "You're not as afraid of me as the others. Why?"