Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Contract Past

Started by Simon Rae, December 09, 2013, 06:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Rae

The First: Creysh
If you have not read his character application, you will be confused. A link is at the bottom of this post!

And it was his luck, at twelve, that he found a willing participant. Left with the knowledge of his blood, Simon collected and sought more information of his kind since the age of ten. Curiosity was eating at him, and on a lightly raining day in Suna a white-haired, dark-eyed woman entered Sonath. He was later informed of her name, Creysh, for the 23-year-old woman requested his presence.

At the time Simon had just been discovered as one with a talented voice. Creysh was one of his first regular customers who visited every two weeks. Creysh was a kind, open woman with an appetite for knowledge. Her smile would light up a room, and her demeanor was still of a nineteen-year-old woman. She admitted that she was interested in not only his songs, but his demon side.  So they spoke of "Servus Daemons" when she would request him. Within a month's time, Creysh spoke her thoughts:

"It has occurred to me that you've yet to experience your power."

A young Simon nodded, a bit annoyed with the obvious observance, "I have not. But I've heard of what we can do! A Servus' power doesn't vary much..."

The white-haired woman waved her hand as if to dismiss his words. They had already spoken of that many times. "But wouldn't you, Little Rae? Wouldn't you like to experience them? Aren't you curious about what your abilities are?"

The demon was silent. His shaded green eyes lifted to meet her own dark ones; a frown painted on his face. Creysh smiled widely and took his much smaller hand in hers. "I'll do it! If you will, Little Rae, contract with this human..."

He considered her words, a small, happy smile breaking onto his visage. This would be his chance.. and a human, a kind, gentle woman, was willing to contract with a demon such as he. Simon wordlessly brings their clasped hands to his lips, and kisses her skin there. His first promise is made.

Two years Simon spent serving Creysh and working in Sonath. Both brought him a fulfilling joy that was present in his voice. Creysh, as a seeker of knowledge, travelled outside of Suna, even Thanatos, on occasion. Simon would be sure to leave with his bonded on these rarities; and nearly two years and three months after their meeting did the duo travel to Hyoite.
Creysh, the kind, white-haired woman, came upon a library. A great myriad of books- years of knowledge!- stood before her. The library was the only one she knew of in Hyoite. Her curious nature led her inside, young Simon trailing. The boy had just recently begun practicing his newfound power (manipulating a small palm-full of water as they walked) and was not ready for what was to come.

The owner of the archives revealed himself from behind a large stack of dusty, leather-bound books. He coughed.

"Are you ill, Sir?" Creysh inquired. The man waved her off and gave a glare to the tall stacks around him.

"I will do just fine! My cough, this land- These acursed pages! I've spent an 'ntire month o' silkworking on tha' lot o' these books!" Simon recalled silkwork to be a fine craft. It required one to thread silk and beads to be sold into, usually, Serendipity. It payed well, but was quite the task. Expecially for one so... old. The book-keeper appeared to be fifty! This was a feat for Hyoite- no.. A feat for one of their world.

The book-keeper explained that his wife had died, yet he managed. Hyoite was not a place to be for one as he, one unable to physically defend themselves. Creysh knew this. They all did. The book-keeper was visited by the contracted duo once more a day before they would leave for Thanatos once more.

"Aye, Missy. It may be that I shall be rid of these wretched papers with'n tha' month." It was no secret. The old coot could scarcely afford the rent of the place. Taxes would crush him further in another two moons.

Creysh had done what she thought was right. She offered to take over the bookstore. She would be back in a week to take over.

"Could you, Crey? Could you truly endure the amount of sheer work spent into the keep?" Simon worried. His young mind couldn't grasp her ideals. He hadn't grown up with such a charitable soul. Creysh was quite the enigma.

The white-haired woman merely nodded.

And so she collected. Two months she spent organising the series' of leather and paper. Simon helped her dust and rushed to her aid- eager to help his first contractor. By now he had learned a small deal more of his powers and the extent to which they may be used.

"I can turn into water!" He boasted. His voice cracked a bit, still young, and Creysh laughed. Simon huffed a lock of crimson hair from view. "I can.."

His eyebrows came together in concentration, for a moment later his left hand shimmered and became translucent as water. Creysh clapped and he grinned.

Another two weeks passed. A dark-clothed man demanded money they did not have. It had not taken long for the two to realise that, like most of Hyoite, the previous owner had a dark past. That sharp-tongued old man conned them! Simon and Creysh had unknowingly taken the burden of the library's "Secret Donations" on. The "Donators" weren't so charitable, and demanded the money to be returned. It was a loan, they had growled.

Creysh and young Rae thought they could fix it all. His master was stubborn; she refused to pay (it wasn't just!). The Donators returned. They were armed, and there were seven.
The number was too great. Simon was not skilled enough to protect Creysh as the contract ordered. His blood demanded he keep the human safe.

It wasn't enough.

Simon's hands trembled. He lifted Creysh's bloodied head into his lap. Her unmoving body was littered with lacerations and a break in her left knee.

"C.." he gasped out. They had left. They left him to clean up the mess. A pitiful demon, they laughed.

"You didn't say... Why would you leave?" He bit out. Anger. His blood started to boil and the only words he heard in his mind echoed: I let them do this. Me. Me. I did this. I'm pitiful. No- Servus are pitiful. We aren't true daemon. I did this to Creysh.

No one buried her. The people of Hyoite did not care much. The library was burned down- presumably by the Donators. And so Simon Rae left. He returned with blood and no power and shame- all drowned in guilt.

That was his first contracting experience. Simon grew; he healed.

It was not his last.

(Link to Character App: Simon Rae)