Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Books Are All the Rage

Started by visualspice, January 30, 2014, 03:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

It had only been a day since the Grand Ball, and considering he had quite the lengthy journey to make back to the duchy of Hellvion in the north, Lord Davishire Callister had saw to it that he'd use this week he spent at the capital to at least indulge in a few things he actually did like- (since dancing and the likes were hardly among his top favorite!). So the first thing that crossed his mind- was visiting the library.

Though not as lavish as the Library in Uthlyn, the Great Library in Reajh was nothing to scoff at- and though the man was no longer in costume, he prowled the halls like a wolf anyway, his shaggy brows furrowed and those dark eyes moving with predatory hunger through the shelves. As the man moved past, the other patrons in the library felt the room grow a bit colder; for Davishire was a man known for his stand offish behavior, but thankfully, he did not have to be social when scouting for books and here- here he could simply indulge in the scents of leather bond books and the information bound to their pages.

It wasn't difficult for him to find the history section of the library, but once he got there, he was simply appalled!

"The condition of some of these books is atrocious!" he howled, face red with anger as he bellowed out his contempt towards the poor librarian who was stationed in this end of the hall.
"Do you not see the tatters on these pages?" he remarked, holding them out for the man to see."The broken spines? The loose pages and worn ink!? Who runs this place? By Ansgar's name, they ought to be fired!"

And he was so upset, the large man was positively shaking- and the tightness of his clothing seemed as if it could almost rip at the seams he was so upset!
"Confounded, man, stop apologizing to me and simply file the complaint! I want the Grand Duke to know, as well as the other noblemen in his country, what a nightmare this is! To think, Reajh, our capital, would be the home to these uncouth conditions! It's a crime!" And he was positively frothing the words and as the librarian paused and went back to gaping at how terrifying Davishire was, which made Lord Callister so angry he was nearly seeing red!

"Stop pausing in the middle and just write it all down!" he roared, jabbing a large finger onto the piece of paper the man had been using to write up Davishire's complaint. "By God, man, before you give me a real reason to be angry!"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

zozee9

There wasn't much that would distract Illi from a book. People had shouted her name, danced around her,  and tried various other things to get her attention while reading. The only things that worked, everyone eventually learned, was to either wave their hands in front of the book or to make physical contact with her. Most of her siblings preferred the method of jabbing her sides to make her jump.

Davishire's shouting voice, however, took Illi out of her dreamworld in seconds. She had been in the library since the minute it opened, and found a nice little corner where she could sit in a plush lounge chair while she read. After mentally confirming that by some miracle it was, in fact, Davishire's voice, Illi got out of her chair. She put the book back into the bookshelf (it would be easy enough to find again when she needed it) and excitedly went to go find her taller than normal companion.

Given the volume of which he was shouting, it hardly took anytime at all. She quietly laughed at what he was saying, feeling bad for the poor librarian. It seemed like anyone could end up victim of the man's wrath if books were involved.

Illi's elatedness at somehow seeing Davishire the day after the ball was temporarily combated by her sudden realization that she didn't look anywhere near as elegant and fancy as she had the day before. She had on absolutely no makeup, her hair was down in a messy bun, and her simple green dress was, well, simple! But after a moment of fretting passed, Illi decided that it didn't matter at all.

She was just about to call out Davishire's name from the end of the hall (after all, surely that wouldn't disturb the library any more than he already was) when she got a better idea. Now that she no longer had on heels, Illi could walk smoothly and quietly. So she did. Barely managing to keep herself quiet, she walked all the way across the hall and behind Davishire before doing just what her siblings loved to do to her—she jabbed his sides and waited for his reaction.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

visualspice

Davishire had never seen it coming- and the moment her little fingers poked at his sides, he let out a howl and jumped several feet into the air- and whirled around, all in one quick motion and rage blinded him as he grabbed the woman behind him and held her roughly by the arms and growled.

"Why you -" and suddenly his bared teeth were much less bared as his snarl dropped and he was found gaping as he peered back at. "Miss Illi!" And immediately his hands retracted from the woman's arms.

"M-miss Illi!?" He stammered, his face red and he, obviously more than flustered. "What on earth are you doing here? I thought you were going back to Uthlyn?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

zozee9

Illi burst out laughing the second Davishire jumped and kept laughing harder and harder as he flustered about. Once she calmed down enough to speak, she gazed up at him with her big and (currently) blue green eyes, breathily explaining, "I convinced Redly to let me stay behind for a little while so that I could see the libraries!"

She barely managed to say the whole sentence before she imagined his howl again and started laughing. Illi tried to cover her mouth to hide her amusement, but the shaking of her body and the twinkle in her eyes more than gave her away.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

visualspice

Davishire stared at her in disbelief, his mouth gaping before he calmed down enough that his internal feathers stopped ruffling and he set his jaw. He laughed a bit himself, though it was more out of embarrassment than anything.

"So you've decided to enjoy your time here at the capital as well? Though I was excited to pursue some reading myself, I was apalled at what I found. Did you get a chance to glance at the history section? It's atrocious! It's probably best that you don't!" he said, howling again about the books' misfortune! "I'm filing a formal complaint as we speak. To think- our capital's library would let books fall to such rotten conditions! It's criminal! Positively criminal!"

zozee9

Illi looked bemusedly at Davishire as he started ranting again, and she shook her head. Laughing, she wondered what sort of libraries he went to. Actually, she decided, he probably just owned his own and took care of everything himself.

She flung her hands into the air and repeated, "Positively criminal! Oh yes!" Smirking, Illi continued on as animated as always. "Oh how dare the books in a library, the place of sharing, show signs of well usage! That is just... atrocious! I'm appalled that these books were loved as much as they were. Surely the library must be shut down for letting people read!"

visualspice

"Yes! I-" Davishire went on, his rage still evident, that was, until his expression dropped and he floundered on his words. His face twisted in anger. "That.. that's not what I meant! The keepers here could at least take the time to add extra care to preserving the condition of some of the historical volumes! Some of the works here are one of a kind! What if these were to get ruined!? It is our duty, as those whom share in the borrowing of such gifts to preserve them and make amends where we can! Do you think I can simply stand idle while I know there's something I can do about it!?"

zozee9

"This is a library, not a museum," Illi replied gently. "But if you really want to help the books and 'make amends where we can', how about we do some work with them? I know how to touch up books... and I'm sure you do, too, given your 'light' criticism. So wouldn't that be the right thing to do?"

visualspice

Davishire stared at the woman for a time, attempting to start a sentence, but unable. Eventually, he closed his lips and stared at her before grinning. "Are you offering to help, my lady?"

But it was the librarian behind them who cleared his throat that broke their little moment as he interceded, "Yes, well, volunteers are always welcome. I can find the paper work if you wish to apply."

"Apply? Paperwork?" Davishire's brows dipped sharply and it looked as if he were about to get angry again.

zozee9

Illi looked up at Davishire with a light in her eye. "What, is paperwork too much work to help the poor and  atrocious conditions of these books? I didn't know your dedication was so low... And yes, my sir, I was offering to help. Is that forbidden?"

Twisting around, she starting walking away. "Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to go then. Seeing as I'm not wanted."

visualspice

Davishire blinked.
"Ah..." and words could barely sputter from his lips, and in fact, his mind rolled with incomprehensible rage and confusion. His emotional constipation was getting the better of him, but after watching her walk off, he blindly rushed after.

"Miss Illi!" he shouted, dashing after her form. He took her by the arm and moved to stand before her. "I never meant any offense!" he went on, in a huff, soem of his hair becoming loose from where it had been slicked back and tied into a tail, keeping it out of his face. "I would never say you are not wanted."

zozee9

Illi looked up at Davishire and barely managed to stifle her laugh. If she was truly cruel (or a better actress), she would have tried to keep up her appearance of anger. Even still, the fact that her words got him even more flustered was adorable.

A smile broke through her lips as Illi shook her head. "Oh Davishire, you know I was only teasing you. Anyway, I am nearly positive that I was not wanted at the beginning of the night yesterday, and I followed you around like a lost puppy anyway. Getting rid of me does not prove to be easy... unless you are able to distract me with book, of course."

visualspice

Davishire had so many words to say to her, but each time he tried to, he fumbled and in the end, just simply clamped his mouth shut.

"Miss Illi, sometimes I think you were put on this earth to torment me." Though the grin on his lips spoke other wise, or, at least if he meant it, the grin said that at least he was enjoying it.

zozee9

Grinning back at her tall companion, Illi responded, "Perhaps it's true! Now would you like to be tortured in this library, fixing the books, or at a café nearby?" The words just passed through her lips before the realization of what exactly she had said came to her. Hadn't she practically just asked him on a date? Blushing, she lowered her gaze in shyness.

visualspice

Davishire stared at Illi a moment before his grin widened.
"If you're trying to get me to make less of a fuss here at the library, perhaps I can oblige. But only on your behalf, naturally. It will at least keep my mood all the more sated. I am a connoisseur of tea, after all and if memory serves me right, there's a little garden cafe just at the end of Rampton street." And here, his eyes brightened a bit, his grin widening even further as he added, "So I suppose it's a date." 

zozee9

Illi opened and closed her mouth three times and she still didn't know what to say—which, for Illi, was not a normal occurrence. She knew he was probably just teasing her... after all, he seemed to enjoy seeing her so flustered the night beforehand. And it wasn't like he was asking to court her. Even still, her scrambled thoughts didn't seem to be listening to her logic and her face wasn't getting any less red.

After a small sigh, Illi finally looked up and shook her head with a wide smile. "You leave my speechless, my King. It might take me a while to think of a response to that one..."

visualspice

Davishire gave her a wolfish grin.
"Ah, my queen, but the day is so young- I'm sure I can find other ways to upset you," and he kissed her hand lightly and took her arm into his and guided her outside of the the library and into the street.

The Rampton street cafe wasn't too far, and the morning glories outfront were in full bloom, causing the city air to smell pretty, of flowers, as he guided Illi along and got both of them a small, cozy seat int he outdoor garden patio.  Once the tea was served, Davishire took the dainty saucer to his lips and enjoyed his first cup of tea of the day, and sighed pleasurably.

"I don't think there is anything more grand than Connlaothian tea, don't you agree?"

Though one could state Davishire might love books a bit more... though the way he was admiring Illi in that moment- one could even argue she might be becoming a close second... or first. After all, it took a lot of convincing to drag Davishire away from a fight- and... books. ANd she had successfully done both.

zozee9

Illi smiled gleefully as they walked to the cafe. The day was going so well! But, as she learned soon enough, it was only going to get better.

She stared at Davishire with a wide grin as he drank his tea. The longer she looked, the more amusing the image became. Eventually she started giggling to herself, not caring how rude that might seem to some. It was just so perfect!

Before he could question what she was laughing at, Illi decided to explain it. "Yes, I would have agreed with you before. Well, I find books, and family, and... well, a whole lot of things more grand. But tea is quite nice. Even so, I must say that you, a man of great stature in all meanings of that word, drinking a tiny glass of fresh tea is the grandest thing I've seen in quite a while. It's like a scene out of a picture book!" And with that, Illi was giggling to herself again.

visualspice

Davishire rose a single, shaggy eye brow at the girl as he held his half drank cup of tea. He looked from her,then to the tiny cup, before he scowled and smirked at the same time.
"They don't exactly make tea in Connlaoth for men.. so tall," he said, clearing his throat, but continued to sip at it none the less.
"But I'm glad it brings you amusement, Miss Illi." he said, and his smile was now hidden behind his tiny tea up that he brought to his lips yet again.

zozee9

Laughing, Illi nodded in response to Davishire's words. A teacup for a man as big as he was? Why, it would practically be a pot! Looking at his teacup, Illi watched her imagination transformed it into such a thing. She shook her head, clearing out the image... though it did seem like the pot would be much more fitting.

Lifting up her tea, Illi asked, "Cheers? To books, perhaps?"