Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Playing hide and seek

Started by Anadwen, February 24, 2014, 12:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

Aldanith, too, gave the man a suspicious glance from behind the veil of his white hair, but he eventually concluded that this smith was alright. Acceptable. He started unbuckling the broken pieces of armour, leaving him only in the shirt and leather underlayers that he wore underneath the metal plates. He rolled his sleeves above his elbows (and unintentionallyfully exposed the metal underneath them), carefully laying the armour to a safe place. "I will need a forge that can take really high temperatures." he informed the smith.

After armour, he started pulling the weapons, hidden around varying parts of his body. It was surprising how many daggers and knives one skinny Drow can carry on himself unnoticed - but together with his armour, they formed a rather big pile. He'd have to take apart and melt most of those...

Alegretto

Grace and Ross watched with mounting surprise as more and more blades were pulled out from secreted places around Aldanith's person. The half-orc wasn't sure whether to be impressed or perturbed by the sheer volume of weaponry. Ross also looked with interest at the Drow's metal arm, and Grace could almost feel him prepping to ask a question. She elbowed the blacksmith in the ribs even as he inhaled to speak. "Maybe not now," she whispered to him out of the corner of her mouth.

After that, Ross stayed quiet until Aldanith made his request for a forge. The blacksmith nodded, "Well mine's about as hot as they usually get, I mean, it's not as if you could melt a diamond in it, but it should be enough for any kind of metal."

Anadwen

"Should be enough." Aldanith nodded. He got to work as fast as possible, quickly finding his way around the forge to bring some of his weapons to one anvil and take them apart. The knives of the blades were dark, much like the metal that formed his left arm, dark, dim, and rather hard. At first, he doubted the forge's capability to melt them all, but he had to work with what he had, and put all of them in to melt them.

At first, it seemed as a rather small amount of metal to forge even a short sword, but he was fully aware that it would suffice for the forging technique he was about to proceed to. He was going to fold the metal over and over and over to produce a rather light weapon, exactly what he needed if he wanted to fight with a large blade.

For how thin he was, he displayed extraordinary strength when he pulled the blades, nearly melted by then, out, and started forging with them. It was like if the big hammer didn't weight an ounce. And all along, he didn't speak once.

Alegretto

Grace and Ross continued to watch Aldanith intently. For all of his flaws, the Drow was definitely an interesting person.

As Aldanith worked away at the forge, Ross gave a low whistle. "He's good," he said quietly. Grace looked at Ross out of the corner of her eye. "Better than you?" she asked him plainly.

Ross watched for a few moments longer. "Close. I can't really tell for sure. There'd have to be some type of competition or something..."

For the second time in a few minutes Grace elbowed the man in the ribs and whispered, "Maybe not now."

Ross nodded, and then turned back to watch the Drow at work, wondering just what it was that he was going to create.

Anadwen

The steel kept changing its shape under the pounding of his hammer. He dipped it into cold water, brought it back up and heated it red-hot to fold it over and reforge it a great number of times. He worked in silence, as steady and effective as a few human smiths would be, and maybe even faster than that. He didn't have all of eternity to forge a blade that would normally take at least ten days...

It needed more than the sheer strength of his body and the power of his will to keep him up.

He didn't have the time to ask if this type of magic was allowed to use here, either.

After he reforged the blade once again, increasing its size further, he drew his left hand near it. It became coated in something dark, as if covered in black flames. With that hand, he ran over the blade.

Alegretto

Ross mumbled thoughtfully and Grace tore her gaze away from the Drow to look at the blacksmith. "What is it?" she asked him in a whisper.

"That forging technique, I swear I've seen if before but I can't remember where. Something's weird though, he's doing it like he's rushed. I guess he really does need this work done quick."

Grace turned back to watch Aldanith at work. She noticed a black haze around his hand, and she thought she felt something that might have been a magical energy. She shivered a bit, and then whispered to Ross again, "Well I just hope that whatever's making him hurry isn't as scary as I think it might be."

Anadwen

Now, all Aldanith did was done above the anvil, using magic rather than traditional means. It wore him out even more than simply forging without a single break, but he ignored it all. It might take him two days to complete the weapon... And that was too long. Too long!

With the back of his hand, he wiped the sweat off his forehead, swiping his long hair back, and continued working. Nightfall came, and he was still working, tireless, not speaking once, nor stopping working for a single moment. As if he was a machine, completely devoted to his work.

Even when the sun set, the stars and the moon arose high onto the sky, he didn't stop working. The weapon was beginning to take a distinct shape, and that was that of a long, somewhat thin cleaver, with a slightly curved blade of dark metal - unusually big for the small amount of metal he used, and very light, too. But it was still rough, too rough to be used.

Morning came, and Aldanith was still forging.

Alegretto

Neither Ross nor Grace watched the Drow the whole time, one then the other napping in small bouts. One of them was always observing though, despite neither of them setting a schedule. Just, whenever one of them woke up the other went to doze off.

Watching the process seemed almost as exhausting as doing it, but by morning both Ross and Grace were once again awake and watching Aldanith. His technique was simply mesmerizing to both of them, though maybe for different reasons. It was with something approaching disappointment that the pair realized that Aldanith looked to be almost finished with his work.

Anadwen

The pounding of the hammer intensified shortly after sunrise. Aldanith worked as fast as one just could, refining the elegant, but deadly blade of the cleaver. Its hard surface was dark and dim - only the edge, polished and razor-sharp, reflected every light, flickering between his fingers.

He worked long - almost until night - before the blade was completed. But even before, it quickly became apparent it was a perfect weapon of ravaging, destruction, unstoppable death. The length of the blade little less than the elf's own figure, it started quite wide, its sharp side forming an elegant curve, ending in a deadly tip. Before the handle, which he strapped in black leather, a sharp spike to catch another's blade was forged, and the pummel itself was a weapon - a heavy spike of black metal.

The sun set once again, and the moon came up. Only then was Aldanith finished with his work - the cleaver was finally completed. All the fires burned out, all the steel was used...

He set the weapon down onto the anvil, and himself coiled up, almost like a huge cat, by its side. It didn't take long before he was fast asleep.

Alegretto

Somewhere around midday Grace finally ceased watching the Drow's work. Something about the weapon he was making just disturbed her. It seemed a weapon in the purest sense of the form, and it offended her in a way she couldn't quite understand. She went to make something to eat, and didn't really come back to the forge after that.

Ross on the other hand watched almost the entire process. He marveled at Aldanith's ability to stretch so little metal into such a large weapon. However, he was worried about the structural stability of the cleaver. He wasn't sure it would hold together under a fight...

Then again, the Drow had used liberal amounts of magic, so he was probably worrying about nothing.

When Aldanith finally finished, Ross went to find Grace. She'd been napping in the blacksmith's common room on a chair, and she awoke with a start when he shook her shoulder. "What's going on?" she asked the blacksmith with bleary eyes.

"He finished," Ross answered simply. "And then he passed out on the floor." Grace sat still for a moment, clearing her head of drowsiness before responding. "Just leave him there then."

Ross shook his head. "I've need the forge to work Grace, and he's napping right next to it."

Grace sighed, but she stood up, stretching her arms skyward as she did so. "Alright I'll move him," and so saying the half-orc walked to the forge. Sure enough, there was Aldanith completely asleep next to it. She sighed again, and lifted him up, doing her best not to wake him. If he did wake up, she'd just tell him what was going on. Otherwise, she'd just leave him on the chair where she'd been sleeping.

Anadwen

The slight tugging and gripping from Grace was enough to wake Aldanith. He opened his cold blue eyes, blinking in confusion, and stared into her face blankly. "The hell you doing, woman?" he hissed, right after realizing his weapon was nowhere near. Or his armor. Or...

He quickly scrambled from her arms, hissing like a wild cat, and hurried back towards the forge, to grab his armor, weapons, and with great care also his new cleaver. He can't leave that with humans...

With an expression akin to that of a very angered - and maybe a little bit embarrassed - wild, fierce... Something, he grabbed all of his belongings into his half-metal grip, and picked them up. "I want to sleep somewhere." he exclaimed.

Alegretto

Grace and Ross looked at each other, several potential jokes playing across both of their lips, but both tactfully didn't say any of them. Instead, Grace nodded in understanding. "Alright then, why don't you come back to my place again. I don't want you causing any more trouble for some poor, hapless innkeeper."

So saying, she stepped out of the blacksmith's shop, stopping to say good-bye to Ross on the way out, and started walking back to her house.

Anadwen

Accompanied by the clinking of his armor and weaponry, Aldanith half-asleep followed Grace. To carry his belongings in such a nigh-childish manner was unfitting for an assassin and mass killer like himself and yet...

Who can resist sleep, really? Something like that was beyond his capabilities, too. Why couldn't they simply let him sleep at the forge...

Alegretto

Grace heard a racket coming from behind her. She turned to see Aldanith hauling his things behind him with obvious difficulty. She sighed. "Well if you won't let me carry you, could you at least let me carry your stuff? I promise to be careful with it, alright?"

Anadwen

With a long gaze of his narrowed eyes, Aldanith eventually released a sigh, and the cold metal of his left arm moved to hand the pieces of metal that would normally connect to form an armor, encasing his form, to Grace. For the size of the pile, it was surprisingly light...

"Carry this. Don't drop any." he instructed her, very shortly and strictly, clutching his weapons - which were very lessened in number after the disappearance of several daggers, but greatly increased in size with the appearance of the cleaver - and he moved on.

Alegretto

Grace watched her Aldanith walk on and muttered to herself in a petulant tone "Don't drop any of it he says." She sighed. You'd think that he'd have just a bit more faith in her...

"Do you know where you're going?" she called out to him. "I mean La'marri's not huge but it's not tiny either, and it is possible to get lost."

Anadwen

"Like hell I don't know where I'm going!" he growled back through his clenched teeth, throwing his head back to let the unruly white hair fall back, out of his view. "I'm going to your place. I need my money." He still remembered the way was where his hopes were at.

All of a sudden, he needed it - suspicious, ain't it?

In his essence, Aldanith was a calculating, though hot-headed creature. If he could use another being for his own purposes - even if they were a friend - he'd do it in eight out of ten cases. Even if it was just something like saving money on an inn room.

Alegretto

Grace would have smacked her palm to her head if she wasn't carrying Aldnaith's weapons. "I mean do you remember the way back to my house?"

Seriously, why was she helping this mad-man again? She had to think for a moment before she remembered. It was because he would fight off the homicidal dark elf who was coming after him and might endanger the town.

Grace sighed. Maybe she should have kicked Aldanith out of town on the first night she met him. Well, too late now, she thought with regret.

Anadwen

"Off course I remember the way." he growled back, keeping his head high. He wouldn't admit something like... Not knowing the way... Off course he knew the way! To let himself drop so low as to ask her for directions to a house he's been in for so long-

Shaking his head to empty his mind, he brisked up, and continued walking. It wouldn't take so long before they'd reach the house, and he wasted no time at all, laying the armor and weapons onto the side of the bed in the guest room, and throwing his own shirt onto the floor, slumping into the covers as soon as he just could.
That night, he was happy that he did not remember his dreams. They were confused and dark, even grimmer than what his eyes saw when wide open, wide awake. He saw her, laughing into his face, and it sent a shiver down his dream self's spine, making him toss and turn within the bed. His own sword was aimed against him, and he could not stop it in its track.

Off with her head, he wanted to see it tumbling into the dirt with the long river of red of her hair mingling with the long river of red of her blood.

When he awoke, he was cold, the blanket swept to one side, and covering no more but a part of his chest and abdomen. He stared at the ceiling, grey with the dim light of the sun, peering from behind the clouds outside, a bad feeling in his gut, a bad feeling that he learned to identify as an instinctive warning, a warning telling him that something bad was happening.
He raised himself up onto his elbows, the cold metal digging into the mattress, and took a few deep breaths to cool himself down, and empty his head from the feeling of confusion, the aftermath of the night. He didn't want to think. He wanted to get up and fight. It was the only thing on his mind right now.

He let his feet slide off the bed, slowly standing up and picking the dropped shirt up. It was such a pleasing feeling, his muscles and tendons stretching as smoothly as ever, unlike the previous days, when every movement made him twitch, if he was at least capable of it.
Yet, he wasn't at peace in his soul. That has not seen peace since his youth... And even then... No, there has never been any peace. There was only war and bloodshed, there was only suffering and the struggle to escape it, there was never any peace! There was never any compassion, empathy, hope, love, dreams, faith, or enlightenment! And how could there, in that gaping hole, that endless blackness, ever be something? How could something ever fill it?
He clenched his hands around the windowsill, fingers very near digging into the wood, and he clenched his teeth tight.
He had more important things to do than ponder above the morality of his actions and the meaning of his life! For once, he wasn't fighting entirely only for himself.

Turning on his heel, he stepped towards the door, opening it, and blankly gazing out.