Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Never Deal With Demons. [Grace]

Started by Sunoko, March 07, 2014, 07:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunoko

It was a fairly lax evening in La'marri as far as they typically went. All was quiet as soon as the sun had set, with most tradesmen going home to their wives and husbands after a long day's work, and the typical family either having or having already had dinner for the night. Surely there were still those out and about who enjoyed the night's sky, but for the most part, La'marri was at its quietest now, as the younglings were being tucked away for bed, and the older men and women prepared to do the same.

Aldis was wide awake, though he never really slept as much as the common man; Not usually, anyway. He'd been raised on roughly five or six hours of sleep a night, a combination of Gartherro's strict and day-round teachings, and his fondness for reading historical novels in his free time... which was when he'd be asleep, otherwise. Eventually, nostalgia set in proper, and though he'd have the energy of a 120 year old turtle, he couldn't sleep; At least, not at the same time as others. What better time than now, then, to practice magic?

Not just any magic, like creationism or elementalism; He did that stuff during the day, when he wasn't working on potions for some customer or another. No, now was the time for less... generally accepted magics. Demonology, for instance. Of late, he'd begun to delve into such topics within the Tome of Hillibrad; Not of his choice, mind you, the book had a will of its own regarding what it would teach. With a fair grasp on the primal arts, it seemed as though now it had chosen to teach him to interact with evil spirits and harmful magics.

This was a really bad idea, of course, and were Aldis any less of a naive young man, he'd have realized it. However, he knew enough not to practice such magics during the day, and not to do it where others could get hurt. And so, he did so downstairs, in the 'dungeon', so to speak; A level below ground, which explained why the ground and walls were made of paved stone. The area, while large, was packed with steel-trimmed casks filled with either alchemic liquids, or wines... Gartherro never told the boy, and he never dared to look in all his time living here. There was enough space to run in circles, set up a table and chairs, and more importantly, practice magic. And so, practice was what Aldis did in the late hours... Until a single event effectively disrupted that habit.

"Ahhh!!!" A practically helpless cry, following a rumble that sounded not unlike an explosion echoed from the interior of Aldis's estate, shaking it just a little; It was nothing if not sturdy. Several moments of silence followed this most ominous of audible events, and shortly thereafter, the combination of the sound of foreign laughter and an unnatural amount of smoke and ash burst through the front doors of his home... Along with a pair of forms. Shrouded by the night as they were, the two figures exited through the newly forced-open doorway, and began to fly; Spreading black, shadowy wings that had not before been very visible, and taking off into the skies, spreading their wicked laughter and a light, soot-like ash over the rooftops of La'marri as they whisked themselves away, heading south from the village, to a place only they knew where, perhaps.

Huffing, puffing, and covered in ash, Aldis only made it as far as the doors of his home before collapsing. "No... stop... come back..." He weakly protested, coughing a bit as surely enough, he'd likely inhaled some of that ash they were spreading around. This was a catastrophe... How could he have let this happen? And what was he going to do now? Hacking a bit more from a combination of far too little exercise and the smoke beginning to affect his head, Aldis crawled a bit further away from his nearly-unhinged front door, searching for fresh air... and help.

Alegretto

Grace was walking around, doing her nightly rounds as a Keeper of the Peace, making sure all was right with the village. Things seemed relatively normal, until she heard a small explosion. It seemed nearby, and the half-orc sprinted towards the source of the sound with inhuman speed. As she got closer to the point of origin a sneaking suspicion worked itself into her mind.

Her musings were confirmed when she found the source of the blast. Aldis' house. Grace groaned. What trouble had the boy gotten himself into this time? She skidded to a stop outside the smoking building, and saw Aldis crawling from the front door. She went in low under the smoke and picked him up, carrying him free of the noxious gas.

The half-orc set him down a few yards from the building and started checking him for obvious wounds. Even as she did so she asked him, "Aldis, what happened? Are you okay?"

Sunoko

Of all the terrible mistakes to make. Aldis frowned, but didn't complain in the least when Grace found and collected him, still a bit overcome by the dirty air. The entire time she moved with him, Aldis couldn't help but watch the sky in the direction that the slowly-settling soot trail was leading towards; He'd have asked Grace to put him down and follow after it instead of helping him if he could, but there was still leftover smoke in his lungs; It would just come out as more coughing, he figured.

Finally they stopped. Despite the ruckus and explosion-like rumble, Aldis was actually unharmed; His robes were a bit singed, but he was surprisingly injury-free, at least superficially. "I'm sorry... This is all my fault, how could I have been so silly..." He managed between uncertain breaths, his chest still somewhat pained. He looked to Grace with uncertain eyes, clearly unsure of how to explain himself, but he figured that if anyone would understand, it'd be her. "I... I was practicing magic. I-- The book, it, it..." He sighed, trying to get his thoughts together.

"I was practicing magic spells in the cellar, and I attempted to use... a spell I'd been working on. The Tome spelled out the incantations and requirements perfectly, and I did everything I was supposed to, but... I don't know, something must have gone wrong, and... 'things', burst forth from the book, and stole it!" He explained, pointing in the direction of the likely long-gone apparitions. "They were like smoke or something; I barely had time to flee the house..."

Alegretto

A quick look-over of Aldis revealed no obvious injuries, much to Grace's relief, but he did have a nasty cough that was worrying her. If he had smoke in his lungs than it might do some real damage. She was considering bringing him to a healer when he started speaking.

His words made her even more worried. That book. The tome had always given Grace the creeps. She couldn't put her finger on it, and Aldis adored the thing, but she had always felt that something was wrong with it. What 'things' had the tome spawned. Grace had several ideas in her head, and she hoped that none of them were right.

Well, whatever had come out of the book, it took second place to making sure that Aldis was alright. "Okay well first thing's first, you need to get to a healer." she told the boy. "That cough sounds bad. We can figure out what to do after you get checked out. Do you think you can walk, or should I carry you there?"

Sunoko

"B-but... the book--" Aldis began, only for another coughing fit to start up. The ash from those apparition-like beings was beginning to settle in his lungs; It didn't help that he was out of shape to begin with, and so he was still breathing a bit hard from racing out of his home like he did. He really wasn't in any shape to argue with Grace at this point, not that doing so to begin with would get him much of anywhere, feeble as his personality was.

He sighed, only to 'choke' on ashes again, but to a much lesser extent. Slowly he started to stand on his own, a little wobbly in the legs but otherwise fine. "I... would try to expel whatever I breathed in myself, but it's hard to concentrate with this --cough-- ...stuff, in my lungs... Sorry. I should be able to walk..." He muttered, feeling somewhat down. Sure, he'd had spells misfire before, but never to this extent, and he didn't even know where to begin fixing this mess.

Alegretto

Grace watched Aldis stand up with concern, but she was relieved when he set himself standing. He seemed mostly okay, other than that cough, and hopefully a trip to a local healer could fix that. She thought about who was nearby. Salia lived on the other side of town, and James' house was pretty far too.

No, definitely had to be Lorel's place. She almost groaned. She didn't like Lorel all that much, though admittedly the healer did good work. Just something about the girl rubbed Grace the wrong way. She was pretty sure that the healer looked at her in a funny way and it bothered her. Still, Aldis needed treatment, never mind Grace's petty problems.

"Lorel's place is the closest Aldis. You know where it is right? We'll go there and she'll get you fixed up right away." So saying, Grace took the lead, though she stayed pretty close to the young mage to make sure he didn't fall or that his cough didn't get worse.

Sunoko

"I... yes." Aldis nodded very simply, not sure if it was a good idea to keep testing his lungs the way he had been. The coughing wasn't particularly painful, but the more he tried to suppress it, the heavier it got, and the longer it lasted. That he couldn't get whatever he breathed in out of his lungs was one thing; The fact that it didn't seem to be lessening in it's grip on his chest was another annoyance entirely.

Despite being a resident of La'Marri for the better part of his life, Aldis knew very little of the personal relationships between the townsfolk. Part of this was his own fault; He spent so much time indoors between running an apothecary's shop and studying the grimoire that he really didn't interact much with the people of La'Marri. It was a miracle that he knew as many as he did, but most only by name and face. The other part of it was simply that La'Marri's residents had a habit of keeping to themselves as well; In that way, Aldis wasn't exactly the odd man out.

"I'm... sorry about this, agai--" He tried apologizing again, as there was apparently no real limit to how many times he could do this, but it devolved into more coughing which began to grow progressively worse-- A notable sway in his next few steps gave away his new-found lightheadedness and disorientation. What was that soot that those creatures had brought with them?

Alegretto

Grace watched Aldis carefully, looking for signs that his condition was worsening. When he tried to talk, a bought of coughing took the young mage, and he seemed to be about to keel over. "Are you sure you can walk on your own? I can carry you Aldis, it's no big deal."

There was concern in Grace's voice, and it frustrated her how little she could do for the boy right now. No, the best course of action was to get him to a healer.

Sunoko

Aldis did his best to mentally remain strong, and physically appear as such, though both were failing. At Grace's mention of help, he tried not to worry her; He didn't want to cause anymore problems than he already. "I'm alright... Please, don't worr--" He attempted to say, before finally doubling over from yet another coughing fit, and hitting his hands and knees as he fell to the ground. This set was particularly bad; He continued on for almost two straight minutes, before suddenly stopping.

Aldis went pale, staring at the ground below his face. He'd somehow spat up what looked all too similar to some kind of tar; It dripped slowly from his lips before he wiped the dark ooze from his face, shivering suddenly. For a moment, he went quiet, as if contemplating something, before attempting-- and failing-- to stand again. "...I'm sorry... I couldn't possibly... walk any farther..." His words came out in something like a strained whisper; Over time, his breathing started to become heavier, and his gaze unfocused. His condition was, unarguably, taking a turn for the worse.

Alegretto

When Aldis collapsed in the street, Grace knelt beside him, looking for any indicator about what was wrong. As soon as he said that he couldn't walk any further, she lifted him up in her arms and started out again toward the healer's house.

As the half-orc hurried, she did her best to keep Aldis as steady in her hands as possible. Somehow she was pretty sure that rocking him would be a bad idea. It was about a ten minute walk with Grace's long-legged stride, and when they finally arrived, she took a moment to examine Aldis and see how he'd fared over the trip. "Are you feeling worse?" she asked the young man. "Better, can you talk?"