Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Light In The Attic (M)

Started by visualspice, March 09, 2014, 01:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

There was a candle burning, glowing warm and low as Liana Rose sat hunched over her desk in the attic. Her ink well had nearly run dry. But she managed to scratch out her final draft of the letter anyway as she lifted up the piece of paper and read it over with tired eyes. Her frown deepened before she released a sigh. She was tempted to crumple it and toss it to the floor with the rest, but figured it was good enough. Her husband, well, ex-husband didn't have to know all of the details. She just needed someone to talk to-a nd she wasn't sure when she'd see him again. ANd it had been a while since she had seen him. Perhaps he was spoiled, but she counted the days. This time was the longest. It had been well over a month since there was any sign of him.

She was certain she would just die without saying goodbye, but perhaps that was the part of her mind that was breaking. She was so stressed she was shaking as her boots shifted through the sea of discarded lumps of paper- all of the numerous failed attempts to write to Tenran before she decided on the last one-

And she kept it simple.

Tenran,
I'm going North. Reese's brother invited me to stay at his Orchard since Reese has gone away to war.
Liana

It was shorter than most of her other letters. Some drafts had even come out to be several pages long. And they had only grown longer before they had become shorter until finally- she resigned herself to just those two sentences to tell him- and nothing more.

It would say more than enough anyway. Tenran knew how she felt about soldiers... and she had actually been happy to find someone that was... well, not. She hated war and fighting, mages be damned. But now this? She couldn't even openly confront Reese about it. And now it was too late. Her fiance was already gone.

She stared at the letter before trembling fingers folded it and she moved to place it in her pocket- the pocket of Tenran's pants. Ironically, she had slipped into her ex-husband's clothing that day when she ahd gone out for a walk. She had to get out of the house before she woudl go crazy, and took a hike- a very long one, before she returned home just as the sun was beginning to set.

She hadn't even eaten a proper meal since Grattis had left- and the whole ordeal between him and her had her sick to her stomach. She felt a bigger fool than she had ever been- and as she picked up the candle and began to make her way down the spiraling stairs from her loft, she let ou ta scream as a figure came moving up the stairs.

Her candle fell to the floor, the light snuffing out as hot wax spilled across the wood and cooled quickly. Her heart had almost leaped out of her chest as she clutched a hand over her breast. But the figure stood out far too familiar in the dark- a figure even her tired eyes could not mistaken for anybody else.

"Tenran!"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Why was he doing this?  Why was he here of all places?  This familiar old ground, the grass had been overgrown.  The muddy road was passable, but not easy and his boots were covered in dirt and mud.  He paused before the door and he old cloth used as a welcome mat and smirked at the memories of being lectured to wipe his feet before coming into the house.  He did so, and cleaned them carefully with a spare piece of cloth from his pocket and wiped off the dirt.

"Home sweet home," he murmured before quietly passing through the door.  Apparently, Liana neglected to change the locks when they parted ways, and he always kept his key, just in case...  He never knew when he was passing through and needed a place to crash.  So he kept it.  He stepped in quietly.  The house was almost empty, dark, as if no one was home.  He knew that wasn't the case with the soft glow of a candle's light from the top office she had kept in the attic.

He remembered her saying how she needed a space for herself, for her work, and he had remembered cleaning out the attic just for her.  The arduous work paid off, for that was her haven.  Or so he thought. 

He stepped quietly on the stairs, nearing the top room when he saw at last the snuffed light of her candle going out, and the lamps that had been lit along the wall shadowed him as he progressed.  "Hello Liana," he murmured softly, unsure if he should flee or smile.  So he had a small wry grin play on the corner of his lips and bowed his head a little.  "It's been a long time.  I'm sorry about that."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Liana stared down at Tenran's form- with shadows now dancing across it from the shallow candles that lined the wall-s he noted just the corners of his smile as she gaped.
"Tenran!" Came her voice in a harsh, low whisper. She took but a single step towards him, her gaze hardening as her silver eyes bore into his mismatching ones- which, even if the poor lightning, were evidently mismatching colors. "Do you know what hour it is?"
What was the meaning of him showing up so late?
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"I believe the grandfather clock in the hallway needs to be rewound, but it says it's about sixteen minutes after ten in the evening," Tenran said in that same soft voice.  "I know I should have sent message that I was coming, but I suppose I just thought I'd surprise you.  I'm sorry.  Did I come at a bad time?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Liana's frown deepened.
"It's well past ten in the evening," she hissed.  Her eyes flickered over his form, before she peered into his eyes again. Her gaze hardened, but there was evidence of strain wavering across it's silver color.
"What do you want, Tenran? Normally people aren't awake at this hour."

But she knew his job was.. not exactly one for one who was...normal.

Lion

"I did come at a bad time, apparently," he said with a curt nod and sighed.  He gave her a smile and turned on the steps.  "I just came to see if you had any maps for me, for the wilds of Falkenrath, the northern bits.  I've got a few quarries tucked away up there.  If you don't, don't worry about it.  It's worth a shot," he answered as he stepped a few steps down the stairs.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Liana watched Tenran's form disappear down the narrow, spiraling steps.
"Falkenrath?" Her brow furrowed. "You came to my house at such an hour just to ask for maps for Falkenrath?"
She couldn't believe this and stormed down the steps, not even bothering to look his way. She was glad she wrote him a short letter. He didnt deserve one longer. That was- if she ever decided to give it to him.

Lion

He paused and stared out into the darkness by the door.  The stairs creaked under his weight.  While Tenran was larger than most Connloathians, coming from foreign blood himself, he was light and nimble for someone of his height and weight.  But the stairs would take no excuse not to creak underneath him.

"Y-yeah," he said hesitantly, and his breath steamed outward in the cold house.  He turned on his heel a little and look at her, flashing her a small grin.  "You don't happen to have any do you?  I know you always loved cartography.  I always did like watching you draw."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

There was a time when she might have adored that smile, the way his smile cut and dimpled into his cheek through his beard but at this hour- and the way she was feeling, it only made her feel as cold and empty as her house.

She hadn't cared to light a fire in the hearth- and when it was going, that was hours ago. Connlaoth had become far too cold far too quickly. Taking a look over of her ex-husband, she stepped out into the hall.

"No." And she turned to move away from him, the tail end of her robe fluttering in her wake as she stepped into the darkness of the main room and moved over towards the dead fire and poked at the ash. She frowned. She'd have to build another one.

Lion

"Well, um...that's a shame," Tenran said softly and gave a sigh.  He watched her move toward the fireplace, watching the ashes that had once burned brightly just flutter around at her approaching movement.  "You draw some of the best maps I've ever seen.  No detail overlooked.  I admired your skill.  I still do.  Do you...um...need help with that fire?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Liana ignored him and opened up the back door- but it took some effort, (and it had been like this for years- always difficult, always hard to open) and with a grunt and a hearty push, the door finally gave with a creaky groan and wobble and Liana nearly tripped over herself as she stepped outside.

It was even colder outside of the house. WHen had autumn ever become so freezing? Shivering, she clutched her robe shut as white breath escaped her lips and moved around to the side where a pile of wood was resting near the house. She'd have to cut some more before the winter- it was going to be notably earlier this year- and most presumed- notably longer.

Lion

Tenran chewed on his lip and clapsed his hands behind his back at having his comment ignored.  He considered turning around and leaving, eying her struggle with the door, but instead he stepped forward and moved toward her, around her, and grabbing a few pieces of kindling and stacking them into his arms without asking her.  He made a sufficient pile and stepped back into the house, grabbing enough to keep a fire going for the rest of the night.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Liana gave a quick glance his way but said nothing, grabbing an armful herself and moving in to join him by the hearth. As he stacked his things into a neat pile, she moved forward to open the iron grate door of her fire place and began to stack a small pile of wood inside.

"You haven't been here in months," she grumbled. "I should have figured you'd show your face again at such an hour."

She swiped at some long blonde hair that had fallen into her face, which smeared some ash across her cheek as she began to work at striking some sparks for a fire- but she was soon growing frustrated, as the sparks she was making were failing to light.

Lion

Tenran said nothing, not answering her in her frustration and instead carefully and quietly moved in beside her and clasped his hands over hers, gently prying the flint and stone from her hands.  He struck the objects together carefully to produce a handful of sparks, but not before moving some of the cold ashes away from the firewood.  A few beats on it and then the exposed wood began to smolder and take flame, and he gently leaned in to blow on it.

When the fire began to crackle, he set the flint and stone back on the mantle, where it always was and gently used a poker to stir the flames.  "I'm sorry," he murmured as he did so.  "I meant to write.  Time just got away from me."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Liana gave a haughty sigh as she watched him, arms folded across her chest.
"It seems to get away from us all," she replied curtly.

Lion

Tenran had been crouching before the fire, warming his hands when his head swiveled around to look at her.  His eyes narrowed in a glare.  "Look, I said I was sorry!  What more do you want from me?" he asked with a sharp tone.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Nothing." She replied childishly and turned away from him- only then recalling the letter for him in her pocket. She still wasn't sure she wanted to give it to him now, even if she knew she'd regret it later. She felt so irritable, so bitter, so depressed and so angry with herself that she had no control over her own temper but to lash out at him.

Though she loathed excuses- especially ones that concerned her. If he cared he woudl have written.

But then again- what did he honestly still owe her after all these years?
SHe moved out of the main room, the air growing too tense for her liking as she went intot e kitchen ad began to boil a pot for tea. She had a feeling she wouldn't be sleeping much this night anyway.

Lion

Tenran knew watched her walk away and shook away his irritation.  Instead he got up and followed after her, lingering in the doorway and folding his arms over his chest.  In as calm a tone he could muster, he muttered her name.  "Liana...do you want me to go?" he asked.  "I know I must've come at a bad time.  If you want me to go, I will.  I won't fight you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Liana sighed over the tea kettle as she dropped it onto the grate of the stove.
"Ijust had a long few months, Tenran,"s he replied dryly, her back to him as she sighed a second time and reached into her pocket. She turned to him and handed the letter over to him but didn't bother to look into his eyes.
"I was upstairs writing htis for you. But since you showed up.. here. You would have read it at some point."

Lion

Tenran stared at the folded note with some hesitation before stepping forward and gently taking it from her.  Unfolding it, he fixed the creases and quickly read the text.  Then his eyebrows furrowed and he looked at Liana with a deep frown.  "You're going to stay at that orchard?  Why would you send me this?" he asked.  "I suppose it was to tell me to watch the house while you were gone.  Sure, I can do that."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: