Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Falls on Deaf Ears (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, April 25, 2014, 02:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Audric nodded slightly, making a mental note to have one of the servants prepare an early, abbreviated breakfast for their guest.  Though, in truth, he would be as happy to have Calent gone as anyone; he was not, by nature, a liar -- although, when the occasion called for it (as it did too often these days) he could manage a few lines...  Nevertheless, it made him uncomfortable.

Without further adieu, he bade his guest a good night and retired to his own room.  Nera was already fast asleep beneath the covers, so Audric was careful not to wake her as he settled in beside her.  His lovely wife -- what would she say if she knew the secrets he was keeping...even from her?

visualspice

The night rolled on, dark shadows creeping across the way while the side of the Allarrrian castle was glazed over in the silver glint of moonlight. He wasn't sure how he had managed to get there, but some one would find the dead bodies, that was for sure, come morning. But by the time he had crawled his way there, he was thoroughly exhausted, and remained in a heap upon the balcony just outside Duke Molneux's window. And his body was soaked in bloodand sweat, both glistening darkly in the moonlight, even as nighttime clouds rolled over head and snuffed the world out of it's light.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

It was a pleasant dream -- a family outing in the Allarrian forest.  The kids were running amuck -- as usual -- with his lovely wife on their heels.  Her jewels winked in the sunlight -- but it was not the jewelry Audric found so alluring...

A strange scrape caught his ear from out among the trees.  His family played on, oblivious, but Audric himself rose to cautiously peer in that direction...and as he heard it again, he realized it didn't fit: the sound of metal against metal, then metal on stone, but muffled somehow...

...Like it might sound, if someone were crawling onto his balcony...  His eyes flew open, then scanned the darkness of their bedroom.  His wife was breathing steadily, as oblivious to the danger as she had been in the dream.  He could only find the regular shadows in his room, highlighted by the moonbeams drifting in lazily through the windows...and the sound, itself, had stopped now...

But he wasn't a man to take chances.

Picking his dagger up from its place beside the bed (a long-standing habit Nera didn't necessarily approve of), he moved stealthily towards the double doors leading out onto the windswept balcony.  There was a man-shaped lump laying there, he noticed -- but its features were lost to shadow.  Carefully, he pulled open the door and stepped forward...only to realize, suddenly, that he knew this man...and that the dark splotches on his clothes were, no doubt, blood.

"Arrant?  Angsar's sword, what the hell happened to you?"  His eyes swept over the balcony and railing, but there was no sign of Leif's attackers anywhere...  Cautiously, he knelt down beside him, worry in his face.  "Are you alright?"

visualspice

Leif's breath was shallow and sharp, the blood still fresh and glistening from his wounds. And when he went to speak, it elicited a few coughs from his throat as he groaned and closed his eyes.
"Well, I'm still alive," he snapped sharply. "They... caught me off guard." he said, pausing to swallow the dry lump in his throat. "There were a lot of them too. I wager the same one after Attie."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"Where?"  It was a simple question -- but Leif didn't look like he could fend off pursuers in his present state.  Instead of helping him up, he made a circle of the balcony, peering over the edge into the darkness below in search of an ambush.  Finding none, he at last stowed his weapon away and, carefully, pulled Leif to his feet.  Once up, he slipped beneath the man's arm and began to slowly move him inside.  "My wife is sleeping in the next room," he murmured softly in warning as he moved the man into the antechamber outside their sleeping quarters.

"I'm assuming you wish your presence here to remain a secret?"

It would be tricky getting him into a guest room...

visualspice

Leif tried to keep back a pained, choked cry.
"N-not here. In town," he said, trying to steel off any shakes of pain. And at his assumption, he simply nodded.
"It.. would be wise not to alarm anyone..."

Ivory

"Sure," Audric answered with a soft chuckle.  "The bloodstains won't alarm anyone without a trace of a person to go with them."  Silly Leif and his silly assumptions!

Nevertheless, Audric would heed his wishes.  In silence, the pair moved down the hallway.  Audric deliberately steered them away from Calent's room, which was bound to be the more heavily guarded area of the castle, and he moved instead towards one of the unoccupied rooms set up for guests.

Once Leif was settled on the bed, Audric lit first a few candles in order to better see what he was dealing with and just how wounded his friend was...

visualspice

Leif had been holding back any grunts or wheezes of pain, but the moment he was in the room, he just about had a coughing fit of it and winced, being able to better feel the slash to his cheek, that reopened as fresh blood seeped down his cheek. The rest of him faired the same, he was cut up pretty good; though nothing deep enough to kill.

Ivory

Audric's eyes swept over Leif, and, having made a decision, he momentarily vanished to retrieve some bandages and fresh clothes for the man.

"I do entirely too much of this for you," Audric complained as he began dab at the wounds with a turpentine-soaked cloth.  "You need to be more careful.  How the hell did you manage to get up onto my balcony, anyway?  You're half-dead.  Again."

visualspice

Leif hissed as the man addressed his wounds.
"I was only a quarter dead when I started," he growled, and snatched the cloth from him and held it to his cheek. "Damn these wounds burn." And after dabbing the obvious wounds down, he set the cloth aside and began to work at unbuttoning his clothes. They were a mess of blood and cuts anyway, and once he was able to painfully shrug that aside, he laid there for a moment, eyes closed; and allowed himself to rest.

"Do you have anything to drink? Water or bourbon. Either will do."

Ivory

"I didn't take you for a bourbon man," Audric replied with some surprise.  Certainly, there would be some somewhere -- but that would require a request of the servants...and a request would bring some questions.  Instead, he vanished again and returned with a pair of glasses.  "Best I can do on short notice," he apologized as he measured out a bit of amaretto into a tumbler.

Settling down into the armchair beside the bed, he lifted his own glass to sip at the liquor as he frowned over the younger man.  "So, it was the Church, you presume?"

visualspice

Leif only released a haughty sigh before plucking up the offered drink and downed it in a few great gulps. He made a face as the liquor burned on the way down, then paused a moment as the alcohol washed through him in a rush. Then those green eyes opened, sweat glistening off of his face, as he peered at Audric.
"It was the church I know," he told him with a deadpan stare. "They all wore marks of the church. It was no secret."

Ivory

"Did they say anything, or did they just try to kill you?" the Duke questioned with a frown.  So the Church was stalking the streets of Allar -- it wasn't exactly good news, was it?  What else were they doing in his ruined city but causing trouble -- for citizen and mage alike?  Not to mention for Connlaoth's nobility -- apparently...

visualspice

Leif wrinkled his nose and bared his teeth.
"I didn't think it was appropriate to hold a conversation with men who sought to spill my blood. But no," his lips twisted into a frown. "It was eerie, but they said nothing, except gestures and commands among themselves. I don't think they would have guessed I would be able to handle myself against their ambush- but I think I even surprised myself."
He gave a dry, almost spitting laugh at that.
"But I thought about Valentina... and our future and all I saw was red. I thought I'd die for sure there." Which was an odd thing, considering he and his partner in crime had defeated the ocean.

OOC: THE OCEAN FOR JUSTICE

Ivory

Audric sighed softly and gave his chin a rub as he considered the implications.  He had no doubt in his mind the Church knew he was involved in rescuing Leif's sister -- and that meant things were about to become more dangerous, for himself, and, more importantly, for his family.

And it meant he, in turn, had to become more dangerous as well.

Rather than share his grim thoughts, he asked cautiously, "Have you given any thought to what we discussed some time ago?  When you came to tell me about Valentina's pregnancy?"

visualspice

Leif bit his tongue. After a long moment of silence, he asked through a forced smile, "Which part?"

Ivory

Audric, on the other hand, didn't bother to try to hide his emotions.  This was a serious question -- a serious moment.  Leif had been badly wounded and specifically targeted besides...  The whole game was changing around them...and it was nothing to smile about, because things were getting dangerous indeed.

"About whether you intend to keep wearing the mask."

visualspice

Leif felt his heart beating inside his ears, and he turned away from Audric to stare at nothing, nothing at all. But his stare was stern and hard- and endless.

What was he to say? To do?
He felt his hands clench into fists.

Could he truly give this all up?

"I have thought about it, yes," came his reply, dry and scratchy as he still kept his eyes away.
"But it torments me like an illness, and festers and boils inside."

Ivory

"You'll make the right decision.  No matter which it is."

Because there wasn't a wrong one -- except to pick both or neither.  That could get someone killed.

"Do you need anything?"

visualspice

Leif gave a sigh and shook his head.
"No, you've done enough already..."
And he looked around with a frown. "I suppose I should rest, but my mind is ill at ease." His frown deepened. "I knew there was a reason I hated this place. Damn Connlaoth. Damn Grand Duke. We're all going to burn, or bathe in a pool of our own blood."

And here he raked a hand through his hair and looked at his now empty glass and tapped a single finger against it then peered over at Audric.
"There is one thing you can do." And he held out the glass. "I need another drink."