Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome!

Started by Anadwen, April 28, 2014, 11:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

How quiet has this manor been for a nice few months already... It would need something to add life into the vast halls, the opulent furniture, something to brighten up the large windows and dust off the tables.

The forest manor of Lucien Thornwood, placed in the lush and (usually) fresh Hellvion needed something to stir the life just like its owner needed an awakening and a break from the boredom.

However, today, the air was full of expectations. Important guests were to come - not only Duke Allarick, but also the Dutchess Melora of Hellvion, together with her daughter - to Lucien's great joy. The girl was said to be really beautiful... Well, let's see how the truth really is.

The man, however, was sleeping. Again. It appeared that all the time Lucien doesn't spend chasing girls, he sleeps through. And really, he was napping, stretched across a large and lavish sofa in his fur-lined white coat. His chest was rising and sinking on the cushions. As his hand, hanging off the edge of the sofa, unclenched a little, a half-eaten apple rolled out onto the floor.

A figure entered the hall. Her steps were fairly quiet, and she appeared as everything but out of ordinary. Pale hair, tied back in a bun, and a light blue dress that made her skin appear dull. She bent over, her hands picked up the fallen apple, and softly shook her lord. "Sir Thornwood... The guests are here." she informed him.
He opened his eyes, and stretched himself, staring up at her. "Already?" he asked, with a little bit of disappointment. To break his nap so suddenly was a shame...

She nodded with obedience.
"Thank you, Nel." he muttered after a moment, giving the servant a faint smile, and stood up, straightening the imposingly long white coat, lined with thick fur of a silver wolf. "I suppose we should welcome them, then." A faint smile appeared on his face, and he moved towards the large door to come greet his dear visitors.

People said this Aella was quite the piece, well, wonder how she really looks like? he thought as he strode through the manor, towards the main entrance, and his thin hands raked through the wisps of his hair. If she really was a good 'wife material'... His political strength would be only that much bigger if he was in the family of the dutchess. She, as far as he knew, had no other children, what would make him the heir...

And if there only was a way to get rid of the Grand Duke and be chosen to become the next one, and Connlaoth would be under his rule.

Ah, big talk and no act, he thought then, shaking his head, and putting an official, welcoming smile onto his face. He was already approaching the gate, pulling his garb behind, and the door opened as he stepped to it.

The guests must be just behind.

visualspice

OOC: Just so you know I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. You should clean it out so I can send you some thoughts on the plot, but for now, I'll just make a note oocly before writing up my post XD

Just so you know, his manor would't make sense to be in Hellvion. If he has become regent, he'd have to move into Reajh, so this technically should take place in Reajh, unless he has a secondary home in Hellvion where he intended to have this party (which would be fine- I just wanted to clarify the reasons behind this because it would affect my post XD )

Hellvion has thinning relations with the Grand Duke, so it makes sense to have the party there so that they can all schmooze wtih the Duke and Duchess from Hellvion.
And just as a note, as far as any marriage to Aella is concerned, it would not give him any rights to the throne in Hellvion, because only male blood line relations can assume the throne. So since the current duke has no male heir produced, it falls back to someone in his family's line who would take it. As it stands, this part is already plotted between myself and goblins between our two characters family, so just so you know, even if he marries Aella, he can not make a claim for Hellvion XD

It would, however, give him a LOT of wealth and power, even outside of becoming a ruler, considering most of the wealth that can be inherited by a female of a prosperous duchy would go to Aella and her husband to be. The reason Aella is now at such an age (as she is her age in her profile + 7 years at this point)- is because, politically, Aella's mother has not found a good match.

She might considering Lucien if only because he is so close to the Grand Duke, but the way things have been plotted for Lucien's position, she would not take his 'ruling' there with too much seriousness, if only because it's been a revolving door, and the regents before Lucien came to be did not last long. She would not considering Lucien to last any longer than them, so any power he might have there might not necessarily appeal to her. So just as a heads up, Aella's mother is a hard nut to crack, plus Aella, in this stage of her life, is smitten with another boy she technically can't have so- complications, I know XD (and a boy she's currently beating with a pillow in another thread X3 )
Feel free to send me another PM with your thoughts but until you erase your PM inbox, I can't send you any replies 8D

------------

The party was one well received, and though the guest count was relatively low, the guests who were making face were some of the most prestigious in all of Connlaoth. The Grand Duke himself would be in attendance, as would his adviser, Vesrik Delcheux; but above even these, the Duchess and Duke of Hellvion, along with their unwed daughter of twenty and four years of age. Though by now, the fact she was unwed was a bit scandalous in it's own right, no one dared question the reason as to why. Some say it was because Duchess Melora was upset her daughter was not chosen to wed Duke Calent Allarrick before he had become the Grand Duke, while others suggested Duchess Melora was just too over protective of her daughter's perfection, that she wanted to keep her in her castle for herself.  She, naturally, was a calculating woman, and knew the disputed throne in Hellvion was a hot topic. If it were up to her, her daughter, naturally, would inherit it, but seeing as she was not going to produce any heir in her current age, and that any of her blood line would not remain on this throne, she still sought for a moment for... perhaps another Duke to become available to wed her daughter off to. With this war, being as ridiculous as it were, she knew one or another had to drop like flies. She was eyeing Folkvar, for there were many unwed men in that family- but none to make a claim to the throne. However, the Duchy of Wulfbauer kept changing hands so rapidly that, before she had a chance to consider a pre-engagement notion there, another Duke was dead, and another on the throne. And so far, she wasn't sure how fast she wanted to act upon the current Duke in his station.

But for now, she had to play kissy face with the Grand Duke, and keep herself as the sole symbol of power in her Duchy, for it was known that clearly, she wore the ruling pants, and that her husband merely followed along with whatever she desired- considered he was often so sickly. But at this such event, even the Duke of Hellvion was in attendance, and they were fashionably late to arrive, for even the Grand Duke and his adviser had showed up long before the Avelonian royals appeared.

And when they did, it was always with the utmost grace, as the beautiful Duchess Melora was presented to Lord Thornwood first, before her husband, and then to her daughter Aella. And as all of the rumors behind it could only make it true, for she was a beacon of beauty; with long, curling blonde hair that was left to fall in strands of glittering gold about her form. And she wore a simple and elegant violet dress, one to match her eyes that was strung through with diamonds and pearls, and as she moved to curtsy before Lucien in their introduction, she rose her head to give him a warm smile, for where her parents wore masks of indifference, she herself, wore an expression that was as warm and bright as the sun. Many claimed she was a gentle spirit, and it was evident, even now, in her mannerisms, the type of person she was- both beautiful outside, and within.

"Lord Thornwood, I thank you for inviting us to this occasion. The travel here was superb, and the gardens of your estate, beautiful," the Duchess went on with a courteous tile of her head. "Though I am aware of your new position in the Palace, how often do you frequent your manor in Hellvion?" Because, Duchess Melora intended to get the most up to date information out of him, and in the most formal and flattering of ways, naturally.

"Yes, it is good to see a Hellvion man at the Grand Duke's side," Duke Avelon stated with a well polished smile. "What with the different regents he has taken, I hope you will be the last from many! It would be good to see stability, something this nation yearns for."

Grand Duke Allarrick nodded in agreement, as he had been standing nearby, at his adviser's side.
"Yes, my adviser, Vesrik Delcheux, had made the recommendation. I believe Lord Thornwood is more than adequate for the job."

"And one so young," Duchess Melora pointed out. "You can't be much older than my darling daughter, Aella." And Aella blushed ever so faintly for having any attention drawn to her.

"Yes, we are hoping a young, fresh mind, will help bring the necessary order expecting by our Grand Duke's when he is away-a nd we all know he travels frequently, what with the war," Vesrik chimed in and gave a gracious nod in Lucien's direction.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Anadwen

Lucien responded to every his guest with a graceful bow, bending in his slender waist, while his coat brushed against his boots. "A pleasure to meet you all. To answer to your question, milady - " he turned to Melora, "- I visit this residence mostly during summer, when the premises of my main manor grow too hot to reside in. Otherwise, it is more of a hunting manor."

His attention shifted to Aella with utmost elegance, just as naturally charming as ever. He softly took his hand to hers, and bowed, softly kissing it as an act of courtesy. "It is a pleasure to meet you, lady Aella. Your beauty is fabled far, and I must admit that no one rumor is untrue." His lips created a slight smile, confident, as he sprang back up.

He thanked Calent for the flattery, and gestured all his guests to follow into the building. His servants, garbed in simple black and silver - in a sharp contrast with their lord, completely in white - came noiselessly closer to take care of their capes and coats.

"Hopefully my age will not be a problem at such a high position. I only wish to be of help in this troublesome sled of events our country has gotten to." With a slight gesture, he proclaimed, and led them into the main hall, already prepared for the celebration.

The hall was only a little dark, lit by three large chandeliers, hanging above a majestic oaken table, stretched across the entire hall. The chairs besides it resembled thrones, rather than simple furniture to sit onto while eating, and while the table was not long, it even appeared heavy and sturdy. The plates before every of the chairs were silver, polished perfectly, and reflecting the light of the chandeliers like mirrors.

He sat onto one of the three chairs on one side of the table, in the middle, and gestured his guests to do the same, keeping the calm smile on his lips.

visualspice

As it would be so, Grand Duke Calent sat to the right of the host, and to Calent's right, Vesrik was stationed. On the other side, Duke James Avelon was seated, and beside him, his wife, and next to her, Aella, whom, Melora was sure to keep close to her at all times. The other guests, as trivial as they were, took up the remaining few seats as the meal began- but naturally, was started off with a few hor d'oeuvres and fresh, Allarrian wine- which was boasted as the finest in all of the country- and naturally, was in tribute to the Grand Duke, as most occasions were when in his presence.

"You have a lovely, quaint dining hall, Lord Thornwood," the duchess made mention while sipping at her wine. For though her words were kindly, it was also seen in dual lights in her eyes, for someone hosting a meal for those so grand should certainly have a bigger table than something so cozy. But, she had to remind herself, he was not of the same stock as she, and perhaps men at his caliber did not feel it necessary. But she herself, had an honest tongue, and though she did not outwardly speak of any shame of it, she would not have brought it up other wise.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Anadwen

"It was the least I could do, my lady." Lucien replied humbly, pouring red wine into a tall glass, and casually picking it up. "The main dining hall was too cold to be prepared, despite my attempts to change that since two days ago. As I did not wish to host you in such horrible premises, I had to prepare a smaller hall. A true shame, but hopefully, this room will suffice for our needs."  His glance slipped into the glass, circling between his fingers.

"Just like I wish I could host you in my main manor. This is, after all, just a hunting residence, built so I do not have to resort to sleeping with horses and hounds when on a hunt." he attempted to joke in a clever manner, and smiled a little. He was sure to let Melora know that this was just a very small shard of his true power - which was publicly presented through little more than the opulent furniture of his manors and fur-lined garments he wore.

Lucien was a puppet-master... That would get you more than just fur on the hood.

visualspice

"Yes, well, the last time I checked, we were all here to dine, not to hunt," Melora quipped back, in humor, though dry and testy at best, and though each comment regarded a bit of laugh, Vesrik's being the loudest while Calent's laughter was non-existent at best, it was Melora's turn to speak up again, as the cynical woman was always after something, and always tended to lead conversations, be they at her estate or not.

"So tell me, what sort of activities do you have for us, Lord Thornwood? I'm sure something to compliment the meal?" And Melora's brows raised at the questions, eager to see what he had to offer, after all, she was here to be impressed. He better live up to whatever expectations she had.

Anadwen

"You will see." he replied calmly, though a smile flashed on his lips. "And I can guarantee it will surprise you." What he had prepared was truly unique. He has hired one of those foreigners he himself jokingly called 'import goods' - a dancer, by looks most likely Essyrni. That was his surprise. Simply hiring a band of musicians was in no way enough for the noble sir Thornwood.

visualspice

"What sort of things do you hunt here?" Aella soft voice chimed in, which gained her a few looks from the guest. "I heard the stag here earn a hunter many points. The Grand Duke, it is said, comes to Hellvion often, as well as Highheart- both lands producing a lot of good game."

"Indeed," Calent replied with a nod. "I have received many fine stag on hunts in the forested mountains of Hellvion. There are even large boars in the valley. I used to enjoy hunting those in my younger days." And taking the question back to Lucien, he nodded his head. "Get any good game yourself, Lord Thornwood?"

Anadwen

"Stag, deer, old mature boars which make for a majestic trophy..." Lucien nodded his head at a few hunting trophies on the wall, "Sometimes wolves, especially in winter. In my youth, I used to be a remarkable hunter." He instinctively stroke the grey fur on his shoulders, a trophy from one of his catches.

"If that is so, sir, then it may be a good idea to dust off the bows and go for a hunt once this all settles." he suggested to Calent.

visualspice

"In such dreadful weather?" Melora inquired, wrinkling her nose. "Storms are due from the East."

Anadwen

"The weather matters little if you have a good garb." Lucien assured her with confidence, and gestured towards the lining of his coat. "Wolf, fox, and other soft furs keep you warm. The wind is more of a problem, as it changes the course of arrows, but I've hunted in a storm before, too."

It was an awful hunt in which he nearly froze, but that was another matter.

visualspice

"You speak to me as if I don't know. Lord Thornwood, have you ever been in a Hellvion winter?" she asked critically, and though it was hard to tell if she was jesting, Vesrik lightened the mood with a laugh.

"Hellvion is known for it's blizzards and snow fall. Everybody knows that. It's a uniqueness to this country that only adds to it's grace and charm. It's why it is clearly one of the fairest of duchies. Such beauty in it, existing not only in it's people, but the weather and landscape alike."

Melora, seeming pleased with Vesrik's charms, dropped any other cutting comment she might have had against Lucien, while her daughter, the quiet Aella, stole a small glance his way.

"Yes, but a hunt may have to wait for another time," Calent interjected. "My stay here must be brief, unfortunately."

"Yes, a man of your status must be quite busy and popular." And this was just another quick jab from Melora herself. And such a notion, even her daughter dropped her gaze, but Calent remained even and simply nodded.

"Such is the life of a political man," he assured her.

Anadwen

"Truly unfortunate." Lucien sighed, taking a drink from his wine, and returned Aella's glance with a small smile. A couple of servants walked in, bringing inside more exquisitely cooked dishes on silver plates, followed by four musicians - of which one carried a lute, another had a harp, the third brought a fiddle, and the last one held a flute. They took their places in the corner of the hall, and started playing a somewhat slow tune. They were quite obviously masters of their instruments, and the music broke the silence of the hall.

"I am glad to present the surprise of this evening, my dear guests." he spoke then, and the door opened again. Another two servants led in a dark-skinned woman in an almost transparent garb. She had a beautifully shaped figure and black hair, curling in loose rings, tied into two long braids by golden circles. The mocha-colored skin of her face was hidden behind a veil of turquoise fabric, thin enough to discern her features. The two men led her before the musicians, and the music brisked up as she started dancing. Lucien Thornwood had quite the knack for exotic entertainment and pretty women at once... This girl seemed to be fit for both. A good little present from his traveling friend that once took a trip to Essyrn.

visualspice

As prude as most of the Connlaothians were, this sort of thing was acceptable, even in broad daylight during a nobles fine meal. Vesrik's eyes, though appearing only mildly interested in the entertainment, were actually very interested in her, as he drank her down with his eyes like a fine wine. The way her hips moved were tantalizing, and though the Grand Duke, who sat near to him, also appeared indifferent, it was truly much harder to read the kingdom's leader than the adviser, or even the pleased smile upon the regent's lips.

Melora looked obviously disapprovingly, but watched she still did, as did Aella, who, as innocent as she was, found herself blushing at such a display, taking in the woman's form as she was simply as gorgeous as one could be, and was also transfixed upon the exoticness of the way she danced and moved. She felt her cheeks burn, and even her ears, before gently dropping her violet eyed gaze to her plate then stealing a glance towards her mother. It seemed everyone was watching. Was she the only one that felt strange to be witnessing this? To the others, this seemed a normal affair, but they were all watching a nearly nude and foreign woman dance  before them! Surely a 'dancing woman' was only to be presented in the privacy of a man's own home!

Oh what things the girl needed to learn about the world and politics, and this was definitely something new. Being 20 some years of age and still unwed did not mean she knew what most others at 20 some years of age did. And even being a friend of Laighean.... well...
Even that had not prepared her for something like this! It felt scandalous! Positively not right, but yet her mother sipped her tea show casing indifference, and so...
Aella tried to do the same. Though sipping turned into something a bit more, and by the time the dance was completed, Aella's head was swimming with all of the alcohol she tried to daintily 'sip' while trying to keep her eyes on the dancing lady and not completely swoon.

Anadwen

Lucien's eyes were fixed to the mesmerizing movement of the dancer for a nice while, but secretly, he kept track of his guests. Especially Vesrik seemed to like this entertainment, though Aella seemed a little unnerved by the girl, and appeared to drink her wine faster than what would be appropriate. "After all, it seems that my friend's gift to me had found a good use. May I ask how you are enjoying this spectacular performance?" he spoke, lifting the tall goblet to his lips and taking a small sip, hardly more than just dipping the tip of his tongue in the crimson liquid.

From what he knew about reading in people, at least the men were interested far more than they appeared. He knew they would be when he received the dancer like a gift from his traveling acquaintance - after all, the man that brought her was just as awed. What simple creatures people were... So easily influenced by the lust of their beastly minds. Like animals...

But if you chain a beast, you can easily lead it in the direction you want it to walk. And Lucien's chains were slowly starting to descend to bind the ones around him in an embrace from which was no escape.

visualspice

"In truth, such foreign affairs are salacious," Melora quipped, her tone even, if not a bit hard as she gestured towards Lucien. "But an animal such as she, moves like the wisps of fire. It's interesting to say the least."

"Yes, interesting indeed!" Vesrik went on with a polished smile. "These foreigners sure have a unique step to their dance. And as the duchess pointed out, yes, it's much like a flame. Wild, and seemingly untamable, but beneath the right hands..." And here he gave a notable gesture towards Lucien. "It seems one can turn a flame into a beautiful spectacle."

Melora gave a lame glance Vesrik's way. The man always had a tongue that could make shit sound like a good thing. She had to wonder why the Grand Duke even bothered keeping such a man around.

And while everyone was going on about flames, Aella was dealing with the hotness of her flushed face and uncomfortable feelings of having to watch well... this. Thankfully, a man would never expect her to move in such a way, or so she hoped. For she had no hips like that, or could move like that, for all of her dancing was reserved to the rigid but fluid steps of a waltz.

Anadwen

Lucien laughed, shortly and sharply, at Vesrik's quip, and gave the dancer the glance of a hungry wolf. "I do have to agree. The right hand can lead even an untameable wild element into the right way and give the fierceness a shape that will guide it to became beauty, a fire that heats you inside, and doesn't burn, while it retains its free spirit." While his words actually coated something that many would consider at least a little offensive, the way he spoke of it hid his true intentions. A snake's silver tongue resided in the mouth of a man, or so it seemed.

The dancer came closer, and the music intensified, her movements grew faster and the transparent azure thread was just a mash, waving around her fingers. Lucien's eyes stroke to figure, but then they shifted to Aella. She was just as beautiful as that girl, but in a different way, more refined and less wild. A well-tended cat next to a tiger in chains... Sitting on a pile of gold.

If he could lift the cat and make it climb onto his shoulders, he could claim the gold. But... How?

visualspice

"It seems you've got a way with women," Melora went on, stealing a glance his way and noticing, just at the right time, how he looked at her daughter. "Tell me, Lucien, do you have a chained woman of your own?" And as the others looked her way, she smiled, daringly at him. "Do excuse the joke, but I am inquiring as to if you are engaged yet. For I have not heard any rumors of it, it does not mean it isn't so. What with the war going on, you see so many weddings these days. It's almost hard to keep track."

Aella peered at her mother, knowing some of her phrases to be untrue, but no one else could call her out on them, especially since Melora always held herself well,a nd there was nothing to challenge in that.

Anadwen

"Me?" Lucien raised a brow in surprise - albeit partly faked - and laughed. "Oh, I don't. Unfortunately I have yet to meet one that would be the truly right one." And the truly rich one worth marrying. "Though, that doesn't mean I'm not searching. I have simply been overwhelmed by work and duties when I realized I am in the age when I should be marrying, and did not... Find the time to fully focus on the search." All the ones he passed through his search were either not beautiful enough, or too poor and unimportant in political circles. "With the war going on, as you say, it is quite the trouble to both take care of my professional and private life, especially while the first is, with all honesty, my privilege."

visualspice

"Yes, I see," Melora mused, observing the man skeptically. "So fairs my poor, unwed daughter. It seems other affairs come first. Obligations, naturally," and she gave another sip to her wine, evidently giving the Grand Duke the cold shoulder as she turned to her husband, her simply nodded at her side.

"Yes, who knows, perhaps we'll be attending your wedding soon, or even one for my daughter," he said. And despite how long she had been unwed and brought along to be paraded through all of Connlaoth as 'the most beautiful woman alive'; she had never fully thought on the consequences of marriage. She had, at one time, thought she as in love but...

It was so complicated between her and Laighean. And though she felt so much for the boy, even she knew she had to come to realize it could never be. He was.. in some senses of the word, a ghost. Where as she? Well....

She could only marry nobility, and her mother was being quite finicky over just who that nobleman would be.