Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

From the personal writings of Samad Abad

Started by appleyard, June 12, 2014, 06:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

appleyard

[OCC, one of several sources by which I illustrate the life of Samad, his family, & related dynamics. Some of what is here, is purely the products of my imagination and should not be considered is in game dynamics in so far as being established markers of time, etc. Certain highly important dynamics will also be added to the character sheet.)

First day of dest
First day of the month of misli'kam
The morning of Yai under a Waning Moon.

The old man of memory was at my door again last night. He is the most ill mannered of guests, never announcing his coming and always staying past his welcome. That of course isn't the problem truly, nor the gift that he left that concerns me. It is what that gift represents that troubles me, for it is an old wound, which has been made fresh again I fear. I live under a roof full of strife, where one vexed woman strives to vex another, and me in turns. She never entirely succeeds, which serves to encourage her a new each time. Like the constant bight of the fly she goes about seeing what can be stirred up and whom she can provoke into turning on another.  Only father is immune to all direct actions from this nonsense. Still he has been indirectly drawn in a time or three. When the sandstorm comes, none can completely avoid it's presence on the open sands, of this I know all too well. Of course I am buffeted by the rock that is my staff and the house's servants, who by some blessing from the high firmament seem to gossip about everything save me. I cannot begin to speculate for why this is so, but when one finds an unguarded spring in the middle of the Waste, one doesn't speculate on how it got there, but merely enjoys the fortuity. I believe that they are all-aware of my gratitude over their tight mouthed activities, given that once again father's first is trying to make up salt and vinegar to rub into old wounds of the spirit.

The worst kind to be sure.

I expect that I shall hear of some rumor, carefully started by her, or one of her many close acquaintances, who just happened to know someone that by chance happened to listen in on someone from the household, they wont know who, mention something disparaging about me. I quite naturally will find all this out from one of the parents of the children here at the academy. That is how it always seems to turn out. It feels like a scene from a particularly poorly written play; where the humor is perpetually derived at one character's expense, in this case, mine.

Amanda Hodette, second sword mistress has twice suggested that I engage in some propaganda of mine own to further demonstrate the disparities between these false disparaging propagations meant to further diminish my public standing, Abubakar Garai, second sword master, and expert in the five winds technique, agrees. I have taken their suggestions under advisement, but have no intention of carrying them out. Their superior, Ebo Gahiji, has advised that I threaten with spreading the truth about some of her own short comings, like the fact that she was for a while carrying out an adulterous affair with the merchant Darius Chisisi, but this is another plan I don't intend to carry out. Just because she wants to wallow in mud, does not mean I should do the same. Bennu Bebti, father's Favored Watch Maid, has suggested that I simply ignore the rumors, and thus make all see that such slights are beneath me. I have taken this advice, not merely because honored Bebti is a level headed woman, but it also fits well with mine own assessment of the situation. At least for the moment. If matters continue as they are, I might be forced to alter my responses.