Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Amongst the Butterflies

Started by Ethereal-Star, October 04, 2014, 12:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

ooc: My first thread/post for my character Ari. She has the ability to communicate with and understand butterflies.

In a secluded wooded part of the village, sitting amongst the tall grasses and flowers, was the young girl Ari. As usual, she was seen talking quietly with her winged companions, laughing softly here and there. Anyone passing by might find this sight strange but Ari rarely pays anyone else much attention. She has been viewed to be quite the odd ball.

Ari was currently in the midst of a conversation with one butterfly, a really pretty iridescent blue and silver one that the creature told her its name to be Sparkle. Sparkle was currently telling her about a practical joke she and her sister Violet had played on their cousin named Mist, a transparent green butterfly.

"And so the coward flew off in such a fright!" Sparkle exclaimed. "The sight of the little kitten scared him so! It was rather funny, actually. The kitten couldn't hurt even a pesky fly!"

Ari laughed at that. "That is silly. Most of the other butterflies around here aren't so afraid!" She pondered a bit. "I like talking with all of you. I mostly feel misunderstood a lot and that no one will talk to me much. So I don't bother talking to them."

"Well, how do you expect people to get to know you if you don't try to talk to them first?" Sparkle told her.

"I-" Ari stuttered. "I don't know. I just feel more comfortable talking to you guys."

The butterfly laughed, a quiet tinkling sound like bells emanated from her. "Well, Ari I cannot give you much advice except this. You need to spend more time around your own kind otherwise you'll be too alienated from everyone else. It's not healthy for anyone, especially someone of your age."

Ari pouted and crossed her arms childishly. "But I don't want to!" she exclaimed. The butterfly slowed down its fluttering of wings and gave her a look that might be deemed comical. "Ari, dear, in time you'll see what I mean. I cannot force you to do something you don't want."

"Hmph." was all Ari said in reply. Sparkle rolled her elongated eyes. "Well, it's been nice chattin' with you dearie, but I must fly home now to my children and and see what mischief they are up to. Heavens knows that they are up to no good....again!" Ari giggled at that. "Ta ta now!" And off Sparkle flew. Ari sat and gazed at all the butterflies around her, feeling very much at home. She knew she was considered strange, but she didn't care. "I'll do what I want." she thought. Another butterfly perched on her nose.

"Heya there! Whatcha' doin'?" this one asked, a shimmery grey butterfly with white specks asked Ari. Ari stared cross-eyed at the butterfly on her nose. "Oh sorry," the butterfly replied, "this probably isn't the most suitable spot to talk." Ari shook her head no.

"Well, alright then." said butterfly fluttered its wings, took off and landed on the grass next to her. "What's up?" it looked at her pointedly, its eyes looking at her with wide curiosity. Ari thought this was so cute and laughed. "What's your name?" she asked it.

"Oh, right my name. That would be nice." The butterfly straightened up and stated proudly, "Me name be Butterjacks!"

"That's a weird name, but I like it." Ari told Butterjacks.

The butterfly motioned with its wings toward a grove of trees. "Come, I wish to show you something." it said.

"What is it?" the girl asked curiously.

"I'm not telling you, it's a surprise, silly!"

"Well...okay then. Show me what it is." Ari stood up and straightened out her sun dress.

"This way!" the butterfly chortled and took off quickly. Ari ran after the fleeing butterfly to see where it would lead her.

ooc: And sorry if this was long. I hope I did the scene justice, it was a tad bit challenging to write. Anyone wanna join in? Ideas are welcome here, as long as the butterfly does not lead her into danger intentionally.

Codestar7

OOC" (I'll reply to this as if I've joined the thread, but I suggest you copy and paste and put it in a location, and I'll reply with mine. It's perfect for a character I've had for months!)

Cuckoo Pepperwizard, the dream fairy, saw a girl running. He chose to be seen on this particular day. This girl was a friend of his friends, the flutterbys. He appeared, with a smile on his face, a hint of mischief sparkling in his deep blue eyes.

Ethereal-Star

ooc: Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go post this in the La'marri section instead. New here as you can probably tell. :)

Codestar7

Ethereal-Star

Need some more people to jump in on this. Characters that could work could be Fae, explorers and wanderers, someone else like Ari who has an affinity with butterflies or animals in general, or anyone living in La'marri. Any ideas on how this little story can progress are also welcome.