Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Old Friends (For Ethereal-Star. Others are okay but please ask.)

Started by Chronicler, November 13, 2014, 11:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chronicler

The door of the audience room opened to allow the head of the merchant's guild from Northoak to depart.

"There is one more milady," her scribe informed, peeking in the door. "She claims to be a representative of Connlaoth."

Elspeth paused at that revelation for a moment. She spared a glance for her guards, two men in black armor, red tabards bearing the raven insignia of the Natholm line. Each carried a dark spear and a sword at his belt. Each had clawed hands, fangs just peeking between their pale lips, and their eyes shone red when the light caught them just right.

"Let her in," she decided finally.

A young woman entered the audience room. She wore white, contrasting with the dark stone of the palace and the red of her hair. A white blouse with abundant lace at the collar and sleeves, skin tight breeches and white high heeled boots to offset her diminutive stature.

She couldn't have been more than eighteen. The five guards who flanked her made her youth, and her size, all the more obvious. Every inch of her said nobility, but the soldiers with her were dressed in white uniform not quite identical to those Connlaothian mordecai.

"What is the meaning of this?" Elspeth asked, suddenly on her guard.

The girl smiled happily. "I am Annabella Leroux. It seemed rude to visit your quaint little town without stopping by to say hello... after all I owe to your family."

"I do not take your meaning," the baroness said. "Are we acquainted?"

Anna laughed. "Your sister is largely responsible for my career as a mordecai. It was I who accused her of witchcraft."

Elspeth was on her feet in an instant. "Take them!" she snapped. "Kill them if you must."

The guards sprang forward, their speed inhuman, aided by magic, but Anna raised a hand and from one footfall to the next they slowed, startled to be suddenly limited to their natural abilities. They fell on the soldiers, unprepared for the skill of such mercenaries without their magic and in moments both lay in pools of their own blood.

"My thanks for your hospitality," Anna said as she and her guards backed out of the room.

Elspeth's gaze met the youth's blue eyes, and a sudden weakness nearly overcame her, forcing her to sit as her unwelcomed guests departed.

Hours passed before her strength returned. It was night, and the baroness stood in the center of her audience room, at the edge of a magic circle painted in blood. A spell to contain creatures summoned by the magic of a demon lord.

The blood began to smoke as she poured energy into the ward. "Morguen I summon thee to my aid!" she called simply.

Ethereal-Star

Immediately after those words were spoken, a figure quickly emerged in a cloud of black smoke. The smoke disappeared soon after, revealing a dark hooded woman with hair so red it appeared to be made of fire itself. Her eyes were red and menacing, a look of cold calculation within their depths. The aura that surrounded her was palpable, as it spoke volumes about her nature, emitting the energies of death and the cold grave itself. It could most definitely strike fear in the hearts of most people unfortunate enough to be in her presence.

The dark woman stared evenly at the Baroness, her eyes full of the promise of certain death and that justice would be had no matter what stood in her way. In a sultry yet deep voice, she spoke two simple words. "You called?"

Chronicler

Elspeth's face was a mask of cold fury as she gave the fury a slight bow. Her eyes glistened in the light of the braziers which lined the walls.

"I call on you to be the hand of my vengeance. Kill the woman who caused the death of my beloved sister. Kill Annabella Leroux for me," she said, her voice drained of every hint of emotion.

Ethereal-Star

The Fury nodded her head once, and said with finality, "It shall be done, Baroness."

And with that, she exited the same way she had arrived, the summoning circle now empty.

((sorry so short))

Chronicler

Annabella had left more gold with the innkeeper than most of the people in a town like this one had ever seen in one place. She'd reserved half the rooms, and put down a little extra to be sure the owner of the establishment didn't trouble her as she used it for her base of operations.

If she judged Elspeth correctly, she might have to pay to rebuild the place from the ground up to keep the man happy. She had accounted for that possibility.

She didn't want to set up something private. A public place would minimize the violence initiated by the baroness, and it gave her an abundance of energy to work with.

Even so, the other patrons who surrounded her in the common room looked on her with suspicion. That wouldn't last.

Ethereal-Star

Re: Old Friends

Morguen Black-Ash stood in front of her black scrying orb in one of the rooms that she shared with her Fury sisters, in the topmost part of The Black Tower, the headquarters of all seven Furies themselves. With a look of murderous intent in her red eyes, she watched the proceedings from far away in the inn that Annabella, her prime target, had set up as a base for her operations. The cleverness of such a feat was noted, but mostly ignored by Morguen herself. She had a job to do, and that required knowing her enemy and knowing it well before she acted. As the events played through the orb, the Death Fury watched as the woman known as Annabella Leroux, made her payments to the innkeeper down in the common room of the tavern itself. As the gold coins left her hands, Morguen smiled. It was not a smile of humor, but one of cold satisfaction and cruelty. The woman would get what was coming to her and soon. Morguen never missed her mark.

The Fury made a mental note of where all the guards' rooms were, paying particular note to the ones stationed nearest to the target's own room. She studied their weapons and armor from the orb, taking careful stock of their strengths and weaknesses. Morguen would make more than one stop here, eliminating the first three guards before exiting. She would start with those located furthest from Annabella's room.

As for the woman herself, Morguen knew that she was masquerading as one of the Mordecai, but she was not one of them, but something worse. A psychic vampire, one who drained the life force from others and the strength of their powers too. What effect this would have on a Fury, Morguen was not entirely certain, however it would be foolish to think of herself being completely immune to such. No, she decided. It may affect her somewhat but not to the extent that it had on others. Furies were a special case after all. Regardless, she had to make her moves carefully before confronting the target herself. Her guards would be the first to die. She would make absolutely certain of that.

After some more staring into the orb and observing its faraway happenings in the mortal realm, Morguen waved a hand over it, ceasing the orb's magic, rendering it a smooth black surface once again. It was time for Stage 1. So with that, she got ready to make her first move in a series of moves.

Appearing upstairs in one of the locked rooms of the guards, the first one of a young blonde male, possibly a new recruit to woman's services. Morguen quickly, but carefully advanced upon the sleeping guard. She breathed fiery fumes and smoke into his nostrils and open mouth, as the flames quickly went into the man's lungs, burning him from the inside out. He was soon screaming in intense agony as he was devoured by the raging fire. However, during this time, Morguen had already moved to go to the next two guards' rooms, repeating the same process on them. She did not linger to watch, only for a very brief moment.

As the doors to the rooms containing the ashes of the now dead guards were kicked open, Morguen had already departed in a cloud of smoke, the only evidence of her being there was of quickly fading clouds of gray and black smoke left in her wake.

Chronicler

Annabella took a deep breath, drawing in the faint traces of dark magic which drifted through the inn as she gazed into the white opal of the necklace she wore. Blessed by the patriarch himsel, meant to protect against the power of demons. It had taken her weeks to arrange to acquire it and get it out of Connlaoth.

"So it begins," she said. A faint red gleam shone in her eyes. A fury. She'd never fought one of those before, but she was confident she knew all she needed to do so.

She didn't bother to leave her room, or even her chair. The soldiers the fury had targeted were already dead. They were bait anyway, positioned at the opposite end of the hall. Easy targets. Now she knew exactly what Elspeth had summoned to do her dirty work.

She withdrew an object from her pocket, a spherical cage of metal wire with a clear crystal at the center. The device should work admirably on a fury, if used correctly.