Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Last Days of the Frost [M]

Started by visualspice, December 01, 2014, 06:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

The day was grey, with a cool breeze coming from the North. Most were excited for the spring thaw, but groans were heard when frost and a light dusting of late winter snow coated the grounds. It curled some of the early blooming flowers that had been stretching their colors towards the warmth of the sun, but today was a day he'd see no colors.

The events that transpired between he and Kathryn left him festering, mentally, and externally. He had been a fool for too long, and he didn't know which was to go- but up. And without his trusty grappling hook, things would not be easy.

But the King of Thieves prided himself on a challenge...
And he knew his life would not be as it were were he to ever take the quick road.
Victory was so much sweeter after the battle. It was only then you truly knew of it's worth.

But this? This battle of love, of hate, ofwhatever it was between he and the Grand Duchess Kathryn-
He needed to find out what it all meant, what it could be-
And her with child or not, he'd find her again as he always did.
ANd if he were to be hung...
Perhaps now would be the time.

He owed her more than just that, and the apology weighed heavily upon him for it was not yet given. And though some time had passed, he still did not know the words he'd choose. So when he found himself within her room, standing near the window, with his back to the faint light and his body shrouded in shadows, it was there he studied her sleeping form.

And it appeared as if she were having a dream. And nothing pleasant. He saw the way her brows furrowed as she slept, and though she was younger than him by years, her furrowing actually drew out a few wrinkles he had yet to notice.

It reminded him too much of his own aging, and he moved a finger forward and pressed it gently between her brows in hopes to cease the creasing, and to make her face more at rest.
She deserved sweet dreams anyway-
For to him, she had revealed, how much her life had been a curse.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

It was the pressure against her forehead, though gentle, that awakened her from her slumber.  The dream itself was vague, a feeling of mounting dread, of being hunted, of eyes everywhere in a darkened, mist-covered world...and so she was grateful to be torn from it so suddenly.  Already, it was fading from her mind as her eyes fluttered open to something she had not expected to see...

"...Dekka?"  Her voice was still heavy with sleep, and, for a moment, she thought this was yet another dream that had become entangled somehow with the first.  The blanket shifted, exposing her to the cool air outside her blankets, then, and leaving goosebumps in its wake.  She shivered involuntarily -- no, this was no dream.

"What are you doing here?"  There was no accusation in her tone: it was just a question, a curiosity, that she would find her former lover in her bedroom.  There was a smile as well, a smile she had always worn just for him.

visualspice

He didn't answer her at first, simply staring at her, studying that face that he had ached for so long to see. He was afraid, if he were to speak, he'd ruin the moment- and she'd disappear from his life like foam from the sea. Instead, he simply stared at her, something quite un-Dekka like of him. But his eyes spoke volumes, asking so many questions his lips dare not.

For you.

I am here to see you.

I've missed you.....

.... I couldn't stay away.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn's eyes softened as she looked up at him, searching for something concrete for her to grab onto.  The silence between them felt heavy, but comfortable, like a cloak wrapped around them in the winter.

Until it was broken, that is, with a soft cry from the other end of the room.  Kathryn's eyes darted to the crib, and then she offered Dekka an apologetic smile as she pushed back the covers.  From the crib, she lifted a tiny child, who quieted immediately and snuggled herself into Kathryn's arms.

"Dekka, this is my daughter.  Myla.  She cries when we put her down -- but as long as someone's holding her, she's an angel."  Returning to the bed, Kathryn sits on the edge and tilts the tiny bundle so that she can see Dekka.  "Myla, this is Mommy's best friend."  Her only friend, really.

visualspice

The sound of the child made him tense. But he was not surprised. Everyone knew of the birth. Watching Kathryn hold her child, however, was a lot more painful than he could have imagined. And a lump sealed in his throat, forbidding him still, to speak.

Ivory

Kathryn rocked the child gently in her arms, as much to keep herself occupied as to comfort the child.  Looking up at last, she said softly, "You can sit, you know."  She glanced meaningfully to the mattress beside her, the back to Dekka.  "Please."

visualspice

In silence, he obeyed, watching her and the child still. It was a sight, something unusual for him to witness- a woman and child. They seemed so perfect together. And he began to wonder what he was doing here.

Ivory

"I don't suppose you want to hold her?"  There was a simple serenity to the offer, a simple statement of trust in that she would allow him to hold her daughter.  But he was, after all, her best friend -- the only one she had ever opened up to, who knew everything about her and all of her secrets.  She had long ago stopped viewing him as a dangerous mage -- he had been the only thing in this world that she could cling to for a very long time, and that gave him a special place in her heart, regardless of the circumstances.

visualspice

At such a question, did his eyes finally lift from child to mother. His brows raised as he offered her a cautious smile.
"I'm afraid I wouldn't know how."

Ivory

"She isn't as delicate as she looks."  She was a few months old now, robust and healthy with a set of lungs that could wake the dead.  She was strong and already pretty, promising to grow to be a great beauty some day.  "Here."  Apparently, she took his smile for consent.  Without much more warning, she deposited the little girl into Dekka's arms.  (The girl, of course, blinked cautiously up at the man, then announced her delight with a giggle and outstretched, tiny hands.)  Kathryn's laughter followed, and she smiled encouragingly.  "She likes you."

visualspice

Before he could protest-

Baby.

There was a baby in his arms. The scent, new to him, was not unwelcome, but all things considered, he still felt out of place. Though the child's hesitation lasted much shorter than his, and the smile on her face- he could see her mother in their. And it was in that moment, he remembered again, all of his mistakes done to Kathryn. All of the pain she must have suffered, and all of the guilt and remorse that...

This child was not his.

No, any chance of that died with their memories long ago.
But Dekka was Dekka, and at such a comment he had to smirk.
"That's because she's as naive as her mother. Get a good looking guy with a wit, and just about any lady would swoon."

Ivory

"I certainly hope she's more sensible than I am," Kathryn answered his expected comment with a grin.  But, then, the Chandos women were known to be rather wild...  "And I certainly hope I don't try to push her into it by becoming my shrew of a mother."  Oh, wouldn't that be terrible?  To be as smothering and insist on behaving like a proper young lady even behind closed doors?

"But, I'm sure you didn't come to see Myla.  And here I am, forcing you to hold her and gushing over her."  She gave her head a slight shake, as if this were an old argument with herself.  After all, this wasn't her first child...

visualspice

He gave a brief, breathy laugh.
"That's for damn sure. But in a sense, I did." ANd he lifted his gaze from child, to mother, and offered her back to her arms.
"I know everyone knows you had a baby. It's... one thing to hear it. It's another to actually see that it's true."

Ivory

"Well, very little that I do remains a secret for long," Kathryn answered warmly, voice trailing off as she resettled the girl in her arms.  Once Myla was comfortable again, she offered, "But I'm glad you came.  I wondered if I would see you again."

She made it sound like a simple fact -- and, to her, it was.  She hadn't liked how they had left things, doubtless no more than he did.  But it had been necessary.  If she hadn't gone...  Well, she was convinced it could not have ended happily for them.

visualspice

He knew that all too well. Their relationship, after all, was the biggest rumor of them all! And though it was an ego boost, he was only knowing now on just how it was leaving scars.
"Your daughter seems happy." He paused. Though he never considered either becoming a parent (especially not himself.. and though her duty was to.create an heir...)

He lifted his gaze to her.
"I hope she makes you happy."

Ivory

Yes, Myla did seem happy -- but the little girl was already dreadfully spoiled, and she was still so young!

Instead, Kathryn nodded slightly, understanding what he was really asking.  "She does," she answered softly with a smile that was both happy and sad.  Most people would never believe that Dekka had a sweet side -- hell, there were times she didn't believe it herself.

"Having a child...  There's nothing like it.  It makes the whole world look different somehow.  Brighter.  Simpler."  Myla wrapped her tiny fingers around Kathryn's braid, burying her dainty fingers in the thick locks...but she only seemed to have eyes for Dekka, continuing to peer at him from beneath the blanket in which she was wrapped.  "And slightly more painful."  This last came through gritted teeth as she gently pried her hair away from the baby's playful tugs.

"What about you, Dekka?  Have you made your fortune yet?"

visualspice

At such a question, the idea of fortune seemed hollow. But he gave a forced, 'Dekka' smile anyway.
"I don't think my fortune's meant to be got."

Ivory

Kathryn's own gaze softened, and her smile nearly faltered.  "I know.  And I'm sorry.  I wish...  If things had been different..."  If she had said no to Calent's proposal, if she had been the daughter of a commoner, if he hadn't been away during that dark time, if he hadn't attended that first ball -- or any of the balls after...  Looking at it, it was a miracle they'd ever fallen for each other, really -- if only one thing had been different, they never would have met, much less come to care for each other as much as they did...

visualspice

"Wish?" he gave a dry laugh. "Save those ideas for your daughter, for we both fucking know that's not what this world is made of. And you don't have to apologize.." And here, his eyes becoming alive like the gentle burning of a flame, he said to her, "Because it is not yours to give. I knew from the beginning I couldn't have you. Hell, if you were obtainable, we probably never would have fucking met. But we already chose our paths, Kathryn."
And though he said this all angrily, with some venom, the last part he spoke, was much softer.

"I'm the one who should be fucking sorry."
After all, he was the one to allow her to play with him in this game.

Ivory

Moisture gleamed in her eyes suddenly, but no tears fell.  Instead, she reached out to twine her fingers through his.  "Don't, Dekka.  There's nothing to apologize for.  I've never felt more real than when I was with you.  And, even if it was just for a little while, I'm grateful to you for that."

But she had changed, and, probably, not for the better...