Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Simple Little Snowflakes

Started by visualspice, December 02, 2014, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Ehvren kind of stared at her. Cover his tracks? This beast went after those who walked? It didn't fully set in until he heard the sled take off. That's when his eyes went wide as he shouted after, "Hey! STOP!" And he charged after the sled- tree branch still in hand, which, he stumbled to use in attempts to cover his tracks as hastily as he could- you know... while running.. towards the sled... and stumbling around in the snow like an idiot.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

With a command from Nuna to Kanut, the sled slowed down enough that Ehvren should be able to catch up with it. She didn't, however, stop the sled entirely. This was much more entertaining! Plus, Nuna wanted to make her story more 'convincing.'

"Hurry up!" Nuna called back to Ehvren. "The Bumble comes out soon, we can't dally. Jump on!"

visualspice

Hot white puffs of breath escaped his mouth as he charged forward, fully aiming to get on that sled- one way or another. Bumbles be damned! He was a prince? A prince? Wait what- Why was he thinking he was royalty? But something made him look down to his neck, where a very odd looking, heart necklace lay. It was onyx- or something similarly black, and just as he was in the middle of studying it-
His foot took a turn for the worst- and he just no longer had traction on his boots-
so down he went, face first in the snow.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Nuna had to bite her lip to keep herself from grinning too broadly at the image of the prince huffing and puffing and plowing after them through the snow. After all, she had to look serious: the Bumble might be here any moment! "Hurry up!" she called encouragingly, "you're almost there!" But then the man seemed to get distracted by something and - oopsadaisy! - he was right back where he started: buried in a snow bank.

"Oh fine, Kanut, go ahead and stop," Nuna said to the dog, "let's pick the poor man up."

The sled did a big circle to slow down, coming to a stop directly besides Ehvren. The front part of the sled was covered with only a few furs and a small bag of supplies. There was plenty of room for the Snow Prince. "On you get!" Nuna commanded the strange man. "We need to get out of here before the Bumble shows up!"

visualspice

Ehvren was sputtering snow and mumbling incoherently in some other language when Nuna and her sled returned to his side. He growled at her, but said nothing as he took a run towards her sled, afraid she might once again- take off without him and leaped onto it, clinging on for dear life. His knuckles were about as white as the snow, as he growled, peering forward, "Let's just get out of here! I don't exactly want to become monster food!"

kleineklementine

Nuna smiled tightly to herself once Ehvren was up on the sled. It had been a long time since she'd warned anyone against a Bumble. It only worked on foreigners, of course. And how long had it been since she'd met a foreigner? Nuna suddenly realized that she didn't know. Did she really not know? Her concept of time was increasingly blurred and stretched Strange, though, that she couldn't remember. Well, she had a foreigner now.

"On we go, Kanut!" she called to the snow-white dog. Kanut wasted no time and leapt into action. Though the dog was bigger than he might have seemed to Ehvren, he nonetheless pulled the sled with more speed and alacrity than would be expected from one dog. In truth, Kanut was under a similar enchantment to Nuna. The dog was hundreds of years old, and only seemed to grow stronger with each passing winter.

The trio flew over the snow. The stumpy little trees became less and less as they left the taiga behind and transitioned onto the tundra. The last glow of light on the horizon disappeared and was replaced by bright, blazing starlight. After nearly an hour or so, they approached a snow-laden little turf house or Goahti. ((Imagine it with snow!)) It was a tiny little dwelling and Nuna hadn't been here for a bit of time. But there should be stores of dry peat and wood, and it wouldn't take long to get a fire going.

"Here we are!" she declared brightly to Ehvren, jumping off the sled. "Haven't been here in a bit, but we should have it snug and warm in no time." She took the harness off of Kanut and stored the sled around the side of the Goahti. Hefting the sack from the sled, she came around and opened the Goahti door, only knocking off a few spider webs, then made an extravagant 'after you!' gesture to Ehvren.

visualspice

Ehvren grit his teeth and held onto the little sled for dear life, so that by the time they had eventually made their way past the scattered trees and into the open, endless fields of snow, he hadn't quite noticed the passing time. BUt he was shivering and cold, and his knuckles were white from gripping onto the sled.

He was thankful for when it came to a halt and stiffly rose from the sled, nearly tripping over it a he looked around. But when she gestured to the little mud hut, he was taken a back and gave an offensive snap, "What!? What the hell is this!?" He pointed an accusing finger at it, it shaking with both anger- and well from the cold.

"You expect some mud hut to hide us from.. from a monster!?"
Was she mad!? Or maybe HE was for following her!

kleineklementine

"No, don't worry." Nuna assured Ehvren's fears casually as she led them into the little hut, "there's a spell on it to keep the Bumble from finding it. If he comes here, he'll walk right past! All Yuuits have a shaman put an anti-Bumble spell on their Goahtis. So you don't need to worry about it!"

She smiled brightly at him to show how confident she was that they would not be eaten by Bumbles! Of course it was all lies, but there was no reason for him to know that!

"It keeps snow mastodons away, too. They won't eat you, mind, but a herd of them can do a good deal of damage!" Nuna told him this as she set about gathering dry twigs and peat blocks and kindling and assembling them in the stone hearth on the back wall of the little hut. "Just let me get the fire going, and I'll find you some furs and start on something warm to eat!"

She glanced over her shoulder and nodded to a little pallet made mostly of soft, dry mosses. "Go 'head and make yourself comfortable. It'll be warm in here in no time!"

visualspice

Ehvren stared at all of this with a slacked jaw.
"How many monsters are out here?" And if this place has so many of them, why stay? It obviously was not for this damned cold ash everywhere! He shivered and shuddered and then peered at the mound of dirt she offered him.
"What? Make myself comfortable?! Are you suggesting I sit on a pile of dirt!?"

kleineklementine

“Don’t be silly. It isn’t dirt. It’s moss,” Nuna chided Ehvren as she started the fire with a flint. If she was growing weary of his incessant moaning, she didn’t show signs of it yet. “It’s dry and soft and you’ll be much more comfortable there than standing around shivering!”

Once the fire was crackling with a life of its own, she got up and trundled over to a brightly painted, if slightly faded, chest to rifle up something more appropriate for Ehvren to fend off the cold.

While Nuna bustled about, the snow-white dog Kanut sat about a meter away from Ehvren. And stared at the strange man. And stared.

“There we go!” Nuna came back to the moss bed with her arms full of a fir-trimmed coat, a dusty-but-warm-looking knit hat, and a pair of oversized mittens. “They might be a bit big on you, but you’ll stay much warmer in these than what you’re wearing! I don’t know what you were thinking going out in the winter dressed like that. If we hadn’t found you, I’m sure you would have frozen to death.”

It was only then that Nuna realized she was talking to... no one. She was alone in the hut and a sudden breeze made her realize that the door was still open! She marched to the door of the Goahti and gave Ehvren a stern look, hands on hips!

"What are you still doing out here?" she demanded. "Get into the Goahti before the Bumble arrives and you give us all away!"

visualspice

Ehvren, still not quite convinced to get inside the mud hut, sulked out in the cold and after a moment, realized the dog was staring at him. He glared back at it- and it seemed as if they were having a glaring contest, and only when Nuna stepped out of her hut did Ehvren actually growl warningly at the dog before turning to her.

He stared down at the clothing, and his face wrinkled indignantly.
"You expect me to wear those?"
It almost looked as if she was holding a monster blanket! For all he knew... maybe it was a BUMBLE lined clothing- or something to attract that beast to them- and he gave a shady look around, as if the very thought of that creature might summon it to them.

kleineklementine

"Yes, I do expect you to wear these!" Nuna answered, regarding Ehvren sternly with her hands firmly on her hips. "Not only that, I expect you to get into the goahti now before you let all the heat from the nice fire I made escape!"

But Nuna was sick of waiting for Ehvren to comply with common sense, so she simply grabbed him by his shirt collar and dragged him into the goahti.

And just in case he thought of resisting, Kanut got back up on four paws and growled menacingly from behind the 'snow prince.'

visualspice

Her sudden demands with her 'help' caught him off guard. And he was soon stumbling in behind her (as if he had much of a choice!) and knocked the top off his head off the door frame as he swore and muttered and rubbed at it through a growl.

Once they were inside, he managed to yank himself free as he continued to wince and nurse his head.
"Your mud hut attacked me!" he snapped, still growling as he rubbed at the top of his skull.

kleineklementine

"It did no such thing!" Nuna chided him as she shut the Goahti door behind them. With the fire burning and the door finally closed, the little hut was getting a nice warmth about it, but it would still be a bit before it was properly warm, so Nuna gave Ehvren a stern look. "Now get those furs on before you catch your death. It'll be warm enough in here soon, but there's no point in freezing until the fire's going."

Now that she finally had the man out of the snow, it seemed Nuna was pretty comfortable taking charge as well as playing tricks!

"Now," she rummaged through the bag she'd hauled off the sled, producing three frozen trout. She brought down an old cast iron pan and hung it above the fire. "While I'm making us some food, I'm pretty curious how you ended up up here. Seems pretty foreign to you. 'White ash' and all. Then," she gave him an amiable smile, "I can tell you my story."

visualspice

Ehvren was still not happy with the clothing offered to him. Perhaps it was the part of him that was heartless, but he eventually put the furs on, feeling warmer already- not that he'd admit that.

Peering over at the fire, he watched Nuna work and at her question, he frowned.
"I don't have a story to tell!" he snapped. "I just... woke up and I was here!"

kleineklementine

That stopped Nuna. She set down the frozen fish she was getting ready to cook to look curiously at Ehvren, head tilted. Kanut was also looking at Ehvren, head tilted.

"What do you mean... you just woke up here?" she asked. That was certainly an unusual story, and Nuna's interest was piqued! "Are you injured? Did someone knock you over the head and dump you?" That might explain a lot!

visualspice

"What?" He made a face, taking a step back indignantly. "No! At least I don't think so." He growled. "I don't remember."

kleineklementine

"Huh," Nuna clucked, watching Ehvren curiously. The thought occurred to her that he did remember, but that for whatever reason he'd been exiled and thrown out in the first place, wanted to pretend that he didn't. Maybe he'd done something he was ashamed of, or knew would make other people suspicious of him. But somehow Nuna didn't think so. For whatever reason, she believed him.

Stranger things happened on the tundra, after all.

"You don't remember anything?" she asked carefully. She returned to her task of preparing the fish and preparing the fire for cooking. Everyone thought better and was less cranky on a full stomach than an empty one. She hoped, anyway. "From before you came here? Even... pictures? Or impressions? Or something like that?"

visualspice

Ehvren made a face.
"Stop asking so many questions, sheesh. You're making my head hurt." And he rubbed at his temple with a soggy frown. "But yeah, if you MUST ask after I JUST told you, NO, I don't remember a thing."
But then he paused, a glint of a memory fluttering inside his head.

"Except..." And he blinked, his entire expression changing, softening... confused but also- there was some sort of recognition there. "I was... a.... prince."

kleineklementine

"A prince, eh?"

Nuna didn't look back at Ehvren, she simply continued fussing over the cooking fire. The long, bright red sides of salmon were tied onto wooden boards leaning over the fire so they could be cooked by the flames. Meanwhile, she brought down a sack of flour and began mixing it with an egg she'd produced from the food bundle she'd brought in from the sled and some water.

"That's quite a thing to remember," she remarked. But she didn't necessarily sound like she didn't believe him. Simply stating the obvious! "Maybe you were exiled by someone who wanted your father's throne. Wherever that was. Somewhere warm, by the sounds of you!"

She hung a cast iron skillet over the fire and began dropping the thick biscuit dough into the pan. She figured if she kept him talking, he might not go storming back into the cold before she could figure out what to do with him. And who knew, she might even learn something about him.  "The question is, what are you going to do now?"