Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Question about left handness in SotE's universe

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, February 02, 2015, 06:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

So, my latest character is going to be a lefty (all others are implied to be right handed... :P), but I'm curious about a couple things. First off, how common (or uncommon) is left handedness in SotE's universe (doesn't have to be a precise number... This is fantasy, after all!), and what sort of stigmas might the different cultures have that would be tied to left handedness (and the left hand in general)?

Rhindeer

I'd say right-handedness is just as common as in our world! So, 70% - 90% of the population is right handed.

I'd imagine that lefties would also face a lot of pressure to do things "correctly", since just as in our world, most things are made to accommodate right-handed people.

Though they'd have an advantage writing in Thanatos since while I didn't include this in the world info yet, I imagine Thanati write left to right. 8D However, Thanati would also probably be particularly strict about making folks conform to right-handedness, since ritual is so important to them.

And in other places, it would be tough for them, too. Like a person learning how to fight with a sword would probably be taught from a right-handed POV.

HOWEVER!

A lefty would have an advantage in a fight against any righties since righties generally know how to fight against righties and fumble when they fight against lefties. Meanwhile, lefties are very used to fighting righties! xD

(Ughhhh I have personal experience with this. |: When I was into fencing, THE WORST THING was facing off against lefties omg. Got my butt handed to me every time.)

I'd imagine some societies would care less than others. Yoreiqi probably wouldn't care--they're very accepting in general.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa